We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#541 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,886 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

The heresy of not considering George Sanders a big enough star to warrant a SOTM. If I have to put up with Jerry Lewis TCM can b#%^#y well feature George Sanders as a SOTM.

Where would All About Eve, Rebecca, Dorian Gray , Foreign Correspondent , Forever Amber and Confession of a Nazi Spy as well as Saturday morning favs The Falcon be without George. Even David Thomson gives George his due in his Biography of Films. And don't forget that wonderful "Village of the Dammed" with George giving the film some stature beyond the usual Sci Fi fare

You dont have to convince me, you have to convince TCM. I'm just sayin..........There are plenty of deserving bigger stars yet to get the honor for one reason or another. Not saying he wasnt a good actor or anything.

#542 Emily Dean

Emily Dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

The heresy of not considering George Sanders a big enough star to warrant a SOTM. If I have to put up with Jerry Lewis TCM can b#%^#y well feature George Sanders as a SOTM.

Where would All About Eve, Rebecca, Dorian Gray , Foreign Correspondent , Forever Amber and Confession of a Nazi Spy as well as Saturday morning favs The Falcon be without George. Even David Thomson gives George his due in his Biography of Films. And don't forget that wonderful "Village of the Dammed" with George giving the film some stature beyond the usual Sci Fi fare
  • TopBilled likes this

#543 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,886 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

Frankly, I'd be surprised if George ever was picked. I dont think TPTB consider him a big enough star...

#544 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:22 PM

I've updated the title of this thread, since Sanders was not selected for May. The honoree in May is Sterling Hayden. I have posted the selections for Sterling Hayden at the Star of the Month sub-forum: 

http://forums.tcm.co...-sotm-may-2015/

imgres10.jpg

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#545 Emily Dean

Emily Dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

George Sanders "Knocks My Socks Off" as well. We only wish that TCM would see the light!!!. I watched "The Picture of Dorian Gray" the other day, and even though I've seen it numerous times I still watch for
George's scenes....don't get me started on all his other movies.

I read a lot of Somerset Maugham and if ever there was a Somerset Maugham character, it is George Sanders.
  • AndyM108 and TopBilled like this

#546 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

I've been checking to see if the May schedule is up, but it has not been posted yet. I have a feeling they will go with Orson Welles, since it would have been his 100th birthday and since it's been many years since they featured him as a SOTM. Plus his most famous RKO films are in the Turner Library.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#547 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

The Rain in Spain Stays Mainly in the Plane!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,626 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:22 AM

Anthony Quinn's 100th birthday is in April so that's appropriate. But George Sanders rocks my socks so I hope he is SOTM sometime soon!

• AndyM108, lydecker, TopBilled and 1 other like this

#548 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

Since Anthony Quinn is the honoree in April, I have gone ahead and updated this thread. We will try for Sanders to be Star of the Month in May now... :)

#549 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:31 PM

This thread will reach 1,000 views before we find out who the April Star of the Month is...!

Last night we had George Sanders on TCM in FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT. He worked in both of Hitchcock's films that year (the other one was REBECCA)-- both were nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. I'd like to think Sanders' talent had a little bit to do with the greatness of the two pictures.

#550 primosprimos

primosprimos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

If the April schedule doesn't come out soon, I'm going to start tossing and turning at night.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Good one.

#551 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Monday is MLK's birthday. Scratch Monday, unless it's going to be someone like Poitier.

You're right. So it's Tuesday at the earliest. 

#552 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,501 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

Schedule information is usually not added over the weekend. So it looks like if we do not get the April info in the next hour, the wait will be postponed until at least Monday.

Hope it's a spectacular schedule and worth the wait...!

Monday is MLK's birthday. Scratch Monday, unless it's going to be someone like Poitier.

• film lover 293 likes this

#553 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Schedule information is usually not added over the weekend. So it looks like if we do not get the April info in the next hour, the wait will be postponed until at least Monday.

Hope it's a spectacular schedule and worth the wait...!

#554 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

If the April schedule doesn't come out soon, I'm going to start tossing and turning at night.

Instead of ignoring the thread or making an adequate contribution, you come on here and make a slam. Thumbs down.

#555 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,501 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

Can't believe we are still waiting for the April sched-- it is now January 15th.  At this rate, we will get April's info, then a quick two weeks later we will get May.

• mr6666 likes this

#556 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:24 AM

Can't believe we are still waiting for the April sched-- it is now January 15th.  At this rate, we will get April's info, then a quick two weeks later we will get May.

#557 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

It's almost the middle of the month. I don't remember having to wait this long for the April schedule. Can you tell I'm spoiled? LOL

#558 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

TopBilled:  I am with you 100% for a George Sanders SOTM.  I could watch all the Falcon films as Saturday morning escapades along with his other appearences.  I love the idea of him with Linda Darnell...what a gift.   Let's keep pushing this forward. 

Along with George Sanders as SOTM  I would like to see some of the better known character actors get thier SOTM like James Gleason for instance....he was a shining star in the The Clock, an even bigger star in Here Comes Mr. Jordon as well.   Thanks again.

Emily,

I was reading an article yesterday about Zsa Zsa Gabor's daughter Francesca Hilton who died recently at age 67. The Hiltons never claimed her and insisted that she was actually the daughter of George Sanders. (Her mother and aunt had both been married to Sanders.)

By the way, I'm surprised that the April schedule still isn't available...

#559 Emily Dean

Emily Dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

TopBilled:  I am with you 100% for a George Sanders SOTM.  I could watch all the Falcon films as Saturday morning escapades along with his other appearences.  I love the idea of him with Linda Darnell...what a gift.   Let's keep pushing this forward. 

Along with George Sanders as SOTM  I would like to see some of the better known character actors get thier SOTM like James Gleason for instance....he was a shining star in the The Clock, an even bigger star in Here Comes Mr. Jordon as well.   Thanks again.

• TopBilled likes this

#560 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

I have a feeling it's going to be Tony Curtis...the fact that CRISS CROSS showed up recently on the schedule makes me wonder if it wasn't acquired for a Curtis tribute (since it was one of his first notable film appearances).

I guess we shall soon see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users