We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Sally Field as Essentials co-host

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

Another reason I believe STEEL MAGNOLIAS will be an Essential this year is because it would work perfectly for Mother's Day, and they always have a big Mother's Day movie to air for Essentials that weekend.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

The programmers may surprise us yet by scheduling another Sally Field film as Essential next year, rather than STEEL MAGNOLIAS. Last year, for example, ABSENCE OF MALICE aired during 31 Days of Oscar but then it was NORMA RAE which was aired on The Essentials.

STEEL MAGNOLIAS is one of her trademark films and it will draw a huge audience-- so they will definitely repeat it as an Essential, plus if they have Shirley MacLaine in August as a Summer Under the Stars honoree, they can rerun it again.

I also think that Sally will be back for a third season (like Alec and Drew)...and for her third season as co-host, they will have PLACES IN THE HEART as an Essential for her to introduce. And it will be on the 31 Days of Oscar schedule in 2017.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

Yes, I think most of us already knew this. But thanks for confirming it.

There had been no announcement to the contrary, and if you look at the schedule for February STEEL MAGNOLIAS and HOOPER are listed...so I am sure MAGNOLIAS will be an Essential, which Sally will introduce next season like she did this year with NORMA RAE. Sort of a no-brainer.

The programmers may surprise us yet by scheduling another Sally Field film as Essential next year, rather than STEEL MAGNOLIAS. Last year, for example, ABSENCE OF MALICE aired during 31 Days of Oscar but then it was NORMA RAE which was aired on The Essentials.

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

Robert Osborne announced during the TCM Classic cruise that Sally will be back in 2016 for another season of The Essentials.

Yes, I think most of us already knew this. But thanks for confirming it.

There had been no announcement to the contrary, and if you look at the schedule for February STEEL MAGNOLIAS and HOOPER are listed...so I am sure MAGNOLIAS will be an Essential, which Sally will introduce next season like she did this year with NORMA RAE. Sort of a no-brainer.

#5 chaz45342

chaz45342

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

Robert Osborne announced during the TCM Classic cruise that Sally will be back in 2016 for another season of The Essentials.
  • TopBilled likes this

#6 FredCDobbs

FredCDobbs

Show me your badges!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,506 posts
  • LocationTampico. What a town.

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

Even as a very strong feminist myself, I've found some of Sally's comments sort of off-putting. How can you apply TODAY'S standards to films made years ago? And of course, Jacqueline positively shone in everything she was in.

I like Sally a lot, and I would like to see her continue as co-host.

But I keep my TV remote control unit handy so I can mute the sound when anyone gets off on a political topic or when any multi-millionaire starts whining about how “tough” life is.

Don’t they know that life is “tough” for everyone, and most of us are not lucky enough to be multi-millionaires? Many of us movie buffs would like to work in the movie business but no one wants us because they’ve already got all the people they need? So my clicker goes to mute whenever I hear a multi-millionaire start to whine about how "un-fair" life is.

Say buddy, will you stake a fellow American to a meal?

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

Here's an interesting item: http://zap2it.com/20...-norma-rae-tcm/.

So, it sounds as though Robert Osborne and the TCM programmers insisted on including NORMA RAE as an Essential while Sally is co-hosting, and she acquiesced.

If Sally ends up doing three years on The Essentials like Alec and Drew, I could see the programmers wanting to include one of Field's own films each year -- in much the same way that at least one John Barrymore film was included on the schedule during each year of Drew's time as co-host. So don't be surprised if PLACES IN THE HEART airs as an Essential in 2016. Having said that, Field may be more comfortable discussing a film like STEEL MAGNOLIAS, which is more of an ensemble piece, or MURPHY'S ROMANCE, which could more reasonably be called a James Garner movie than a Sally Field film.

Yes, I think this is the discernible pattern with the hosts. And I am sure she'll be back for at least a second season. From what I've read, she had a lot of fun filming MURPHY'S ROMANCE so she'd probably be open to discussing that film. But I think PLACES IN THE HEART would be chosen first. If we see it on the February schedule (during the 31 Days of Oscar) then we can likely assume it will be back for Essentials along with Sally.

#8 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

Here's an interesting item: http://zap2it.com/20...-norma-rae-tcm/.

So, it sounds as though Robert Osborne and the TCM programmers insisted on including NORMA RAE as an Essential while Sally is co-hosting, and she acquiesced.

If Sally ends up doing three years on The Essentials like Alec and Drew, I could see the programmers wanting to include one of Field's own films each year -- in much the same way that at least one John Barrymore film was included on the schedule during each year of Drew's time as co-host. So don't be surprised if PLACES IN THE HEART airs as an Essential in 2016. Having said that, Field may be more comfortable discussing a film like STEEL MAGNOLIAS, which is more of an ensemble piece, or MURPHY'S ROMANCE, which could more reasonably be called a James Garner movie than a Sally Field film.

• TopBilled and cmovieviewer like this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

It seems like people are being a bit too hard on Sally. It's her first season as an Essentials co-host. She is not going to do the job perfectly, right out of the gate. 

If she does return for another year, it will be interesting to see what her other classic film choices will be.

But first, we have her discussing NORMA RAE as an Essential next week-- Saturday November 7th-- and that should be a very good evening on TCM.

#10 billieburke

billieburke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:19 PM

Amen to AndreaDoria's (June 2015) response to Sally Field's "Essentials" commentary regarding "The Picture of Dorian Gray." This is MGM at its absolute finest, Hurd Hatfield's emotionally atonal performance is exactly what the title character demands. The exquisitely eiree ambiance of this film has never been matched. Bravo to Reverend Osborne for helping Sister Sally see the light on this one. It's as four star Essential as you could possibly hope for.

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

While I haven't seen all of Sally's appearances as Essentials' co-host, I confess that I've been disappointed. She doesn't seem to have the passion for classic film that, say Alec Baldwin or Rose McGowan, had. Nor does she seem to have the willingness to learn or even think deeply, such as Drew Barrymore. Some of her commentary even leads me to believe that she hasn't watched the entire film in question. Bummed. Because I have always counted myself as a fan and am now looking forward to the next co-host.

Usually by late October or early November, word leaks out that a new co-host is about to start filming wraparounds with Robert for the upcoming season. Since we have not heard anything along these lines, I have a feeling Sally Field will be returning for a second year of Essentials.

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:34 PM

Great point! I would add (you'd probably disagree) Drew Barrymore, who, while perhaps not an intellectual, has such passion for film, such innate intelligence, and is always learning.

I think you're fundamentally right about this. I was not enamored with Drew as a co-host and ached for her to be replaced. But given the fact she had three years on the job, she had plenty of time to grow (and she did grow/improve as a co-host).  I agree that she usually approached the films in a respectful and appreciative way.

#13 pamela36

pamela36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

I agree with this.

Another good idea would be to have a critic co-host the series. The first season Robert Osborne was hosting the show, his co-host was film critic Molly Haskell, and they were very good together. R.O. might not want her back though because she's been very critical of the Academy Awards of late and with Osborne's interest in the history of AMPAS, he might as well be called 'Mr. Oscar'. They could also get New York magazine film critic David Edelstein to co-host The Essentials -- he filled in for Robert Osborne during his leave of absence in 2011, and was very good hosting last month's spotlight on Orson Welles.

Of course if TCM is insistent on bringing in celebrities to co-host the series, I would welcome back Alec Baldwin. Of all the recurring celebrity co-hosts I've seen on TCM, Alec Baldwin, Illeana Douglas and Cher are the only three people who have consistently been able to converse with Robert Osborne on an intellectual level.

Great point! I would add (you'd probably disagree) Drew Barrymore, who, while perhaps not an intellectual, has such passion for film, such innate intelligence, and is always learning.

#14 pamela36

pamela36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:17 PM

I think two things are happening in Sally's remarks. First, she's a feminist-- so she is evaluating the weight and importance of a prominent (or not so prominent) female lead. Also, she's an actress-- so she is looking at these roles in terms of whether or not she would have done them. 

Even as a very strong feminist myself, I've found some of Sally's comments sort of off-putting. How can you apply TODAY'S standards to films made years ago? And of course, Jacqueline positively shone in everything she was in.

#15 pamela36

pamela36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

I was so happy when they did away with Baldwin and Drew Barrymore took over.  I as sad to see her go, but expected Sally Field to be able to do as good or better of a job.  Unfortunately, Sally is inarticulate and it does not seem that she watches the films, just reads cue cards that someone at TCM writes up for her.  She is worse than Baldwin, and I really wish they would bring Drew back.  Drew seemed to have actually watched the film, and some for the first time.  She was articulate and insightful.  Sally is not.

I agree. I thought Drew grew into the role beautifully. A real passion for film there - and a really smart cookie to boot. Disappointed in Fields.

#16 pamela36

pamela36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

While I haven't seen all of Sally's appearances as Essentials' co-host, I confess that I've been disappointed. She doesn't seem to have the passion for classic film that, say Alec Baldwin or Rose McGowan, had. Nor does she seem to have the willingness to learn or even think deeply, such as Drew Barrymore. Some of her commentary even leads me to believe that she hasn't watched the entire film in question. Bummed. Because I have always counted myself as a fan and am now looking forward to the next co-host.

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:43 PM

....She had me ....then she lost me.  I was really enjoying the Essentials segments with Sally and host Robert until Sally began to go on a political/gender rant.  I dont tune into TCM for a lecture on politics and values by the Flying Nun..  We already get enough indoctrination from the popular media.  One reason I watch TCM is to get away from it.....Time for Ms Field to move on....nuffsaid.

Perhaps you can clarify whether it was a comment she made tonight during the airing of I REMEMBER MAMA, or if there have been previous comments she made regarding other movies you took issue with.

#18 JPKillshot

JPKillshot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

....She had me ....then she lost me.  I was really enjoying the Essentials segments with Sally and host Robert until Sally began to go on a political/gender rant.  I dont tune into TCM for a lecture on politics and values by the Flying Nun..  We already get enough indoctrination from the popular media.  One reason I watch TCM is to get away from it.....Time for Ms Field to move on....nuffsaid.

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

I do find Sally's comments to be overly broad.  Therefore to fully understand her POV I would have to ask her very specific questions.

Exactly. I would want Sally to clarify some of her points. 

#20 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:23 AM

The Actor's Stuidio? The studio that through "The Method" produced the Ultra-Ham! I defy you to find ANY performer from the 30's or 40's that even begins to compare to the mind-numbing hamminess of: Shelley Winters, Rod Steiger, Eli Wallach, or Al Pacino. "The Method" does not produce "natural" acting. It produces hysterical, histrionic excess. Field is, at best, a "good" actress. She is utterly mediocre compared to Bette Davis

It is quite obvious that you are a knee-jerk Field apologist. If she said water was dry and light was dark you would find some justification. It's quite ludicrous.

Furthermore, do not attempt to tell me what you "think I have to understand". You are not a sage, and I am in no way your disciple. Kindly do not condescend to me. I fully assure you that my knowledge of film and acting is every bit as weighty as yours.

It is quite obvious that you are a knee-jerk 30s - 40s actor apologist.    It is quite ludicrous.

While Bette Davis is my favor actor it is possible to have a discussion about the different acting methods and styles. 

I do find Sally's comments to be overly broad.  Therefore to fully understand her POV I would have to ask her very specific questions.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users