We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Sally Field as Essentials co-host

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 PiercingMildred

PiercingMildred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:59 AM

The Essentials series has been running out of gas for a long time. It's the one programming block long-time viewers are most unhappy about-- but TCM seems to think there is value in it.

I agree that there's value there. It used to be my favorite thing to look forward to on Saturday nights. He just needs a better co-host and some different "essentials." You know, get Al Pacino up there, get Gene Hackman up there, Let's see Helen Mirren join him!

#42 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:53 PM

I find Sally to be a bit boring. I don't need another actor to tell me how "great" a certain film is. I miss the contributions of Alec Baldwin. Like Osborne, he seemed to know the films and the back stories too boot. Alec was just a better co-host in general.

The Essentials series has been running out of gas for a long time. It's the one programming block long-time viewers are most unhappy about-- but TCM seems to think there is value in it.

• PiercingMildred likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#43 PiercingMildred

PiercingMildred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

I find Sally to be a bit boring. I don't need another actor to tell me how "great" a certain film is. I miss the contributions of Alec Baldwin. Like Osborne, he seemed to know the films and the back stories too boot. Alec was just a better co-host in general.

#44 Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:05 AM

Hilarious....my mom could be her twin. Anytime I see Sally me and my sister just go..."IT'S MOM!!"
  • PiercingMildred likes this

#45 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:01 PM

Well said.    In Ninotchka here the rather bland (bored),  film persona she had by this stage of her career worked with the very repressed, only about work,  Ninotchka character,   but that same persona doesn't work as well in Two-Faced Woman.    

As for lasting longer;  I just don't think she wanted to last longer,  but she had the skills to if she had wanted to  (and I assume MGM or another studio would have supported her).

And we have to acknowledge that on some level, NINOTCHKA is a paint-by-numbers Lubitsch farce, so probably almost any actress would have worked in the role, provided they listened to the great director's suggestions. But other actresses might have been better. Norma Shearer or Margaret Sullavan could have pulled it off, too.

TWO-FACED WOMAN is a film I rather enjoy-- I wouldn't say Garbo is miscast in it-- but she's a little bit out of her element in it, though not too terribly. I think the film gets a bad rep, cited as the one that killed Garbo's screen career...but it deserves a bit more appreciation.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#46 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

The problem was not that TWO-FACED WOMAN was a terrible film. It had great MGM production values, and an excellent supporting cast, as well as a very logical story. But the finished product was re-edited when it was banned in Boston, because it was said to encourage adultery. 

Instead, the real problem at this point was that Garbo was getting older and not a very versatile performer. Perhaps she had a fear of trying to expand her range. But she seldom tried different genres and characters, and after a point, audiences couldn't get past her being a serious dramatic type-- in a style of filmmaking that was quickly becoming outmoded. If she had done what Stanwyck or Colbert had done in the 30s, playing roles across a variety of genres (something Young did in the 40s), and had developed more versatility, she might have lasted longer as a movie actress. 

Well said.    In Ninotchka the rather bland (bored),  film persona she had by this stage of her career worked with the very repressed, only about work,  Ninotchka character,   but that same persona doesn't work as well in Two-Faced Woman.    

As for lasting longer;  I just don't think she wanted to last longer,  but she had the skills to if she had wanted to  (and I assume MGM or another studio would have supported her).

#47 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

I didnt take it that way at all.

The problem was not that TWO-FACED WOMAN was a terrible film. It had great MGM production values, and an excellent supporting cast, as well as a very logical story. But the finished product was re-edited when it was banned in Boston, because it was said to encourage adultery. 

Instead, the real problem at this point was that Garbo was getting older and not a very versatile performer. Perhaps she had a fear of trying to expand her range. But she seldom tried different genres and characters, and after a point, audiences couldn't get past her being a serious dramatic type-- in a style of filmmaking that was quickly becoming outmoded. If she had done what Stanwyck or Colbert had done in the 30s, playing roles across a variety of genres (something Young did in the 40s), and had developed more versatility, she might have lasted longer as a movie actress. 

#48 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,400 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:07 PM

I didnt take it that way at all.

#49 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

He meant it was a bad fit for Garbo to try to mold her into that type of actress......

I know what he meant, but in a way he was slamming the other two actresses by implying their style and type of movie role was beneath Garbo. I found it a bit disrespectful. I think he should have phrased it differently. In fact, he didn't even have to mention the other two women at all-- he could have just said light comedy was not Garbo's forte.

#50 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,400 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

He meant it was a bad fit for Garbo to try to mold her into that type of actress......

• Ace of Hearts likes this

#51 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:20 PM

Was surprised to find out in the Ninotchka outro Sally never heard of Two Faced Woman or that it was Garbo's last film. Tsk, tsk.

I wondered if she was just humoring (or sucking up to) Osborne. I am sure she had to see some sort of filmography on Garbo when NINOTCHKA was selected. There is no way she would have gone into this screening 'cold.' Maybe she hasn't seen the whole thing, or didn't realize Garbo totally walked away from all performing after TWO-FACED WOMAN.

What I thought was a bit worse was Osborne slamming MGM for (in his words) trying to turn Garbo into another Claudette Colbert or Loretta Young. Anyone who's a fan of Colbert or Young and their success in light comedies would say that's something to be admired.

#52 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,400 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

Just when it appeared that Sally Field actually might know something about classic films, she was totally ignorant of Garbo's post-NINOTCHKA film, TWO FACED WOMAN, and the fact that Garbo retired after that. This is hardly esoterica.

We're heading back into Drew territory........:D

#53 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,400 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

Your post is almost exactly the same as mine.

Oh, sorry. I didnt see yours there! LOL.

#54 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

Was surprised to find out in the Ninotchka outro Sally never heard of Two Faced Woman or that it was Garbo's last film. Tsk, tsk.

Your post is almost exactly the same as mine.

#55 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,400 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

NINOTCHKA (1939) will also air this coming season, according to this article from USA Today: http://www.usatoday....borne/22041027/

#56 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Is the idea behind the Guest Star -- now Sally Field --  host of 'The Essentials' that she will select movies she likes -and- that she thinks are essential movies for movie fans to watch as well? 

I've never actually thought about it before.  

Just when it appeared that Sally Field actually might know something about classic films, she was totally ignorant of Garbo's post-NINOTCHKA film, TWO FACED WOMAN, and the fact that Garbo retired after that. This is hardly esoterica.

• Gilda likes this

#57 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

Is the idea behind the Guest Star -- now Sally Field --  host of 'The Essentials' that she will select movies she likes -and- that she thinks are essential movies for movie fans to watch as well? 

Sure that's part of it. In some ways, it is an exercise in vanity, because what Movie Star X thinks is essential might be considered slop by the next person.

#58 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:16 PM

I've never actually thought about it before.  

#59 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

It's not that Sally Field is so great, but compared to Drew, the bar for seeming great is set very low.

True. So very true.

#60 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

Interesting that I came upon your post, because I was just thinking about this earlier today. I am so glad the Drew years are behind us. It was a low point in the Essentials series, that dragged on too painfully long. Though I am sure the folks at TCM probably don't think so. It was.

It's not that Sally Field is so great, but compared to Drew, the bar for seeming great is set very low.

• Gilda likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users