We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Sally Field as Essentials co-host

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

NINOTCHKA (1939) will also air this coming season, according to this article from USA Today:

So based on the movies I have been told will be showing (at least so far),  other then THE PRISONER OF ZENDA,  there is a women's angle here: The main character in each movie is a women that is 'coming out'.     (Ok,  not so much with The More the Merrier,  but still the Arthur character was going to settle for someone that she wasn't head over heals with).

Not a knock on the choices here,  but I believe there is a theme.   

#82 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

NINOTCHKA (1939) will also air this coming season, according to this article from USA Today: http://www.usatoday....borne/22041027/

• TopBilled likes this

#83 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

We already know the first four films that are going to air next season: ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) on March 7, THE MORE THE MERRIER (1943) on March 14, NOW, VOYAGER (1942) on March 21, and THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937) on March 28.

If that's any indicator of what's to come, the next year should be a welcome relief from some less-than-stellar Saturday night programming on TCM in recent months.

While I love all of these films I have seen them all,  many,  many times.    But I shouldn't expect otherwise with The Essentials; 

Since I have been a fan of studio-era movies for decades,  I guess I have seen most movies a host would view as an 'essentials'.

#84 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

We already know the first four films that are going to air next season: ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) on March 7, THE MORE THE MERRIER (1943) on March 14, NOW, VOYAGER (1942) on March 21, and THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937) on March 28.

If that's any indicator of what's to come, the next year should be a welcome relief from some less-than-stellar Saturday night programming on TCM in recent months.

• TopBilled likes this

#85 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

http://www.examiner....entials-co-host

She "auditioned" for this role a few years ago. The very first night I ever watched TCM, in July 2008, Sally was the guest programmer. So she and Robert have discussed films on TCM before. I remember being impressed with her selections that evening, and in particular, her remarks about THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK.

I am looking forward to her run as an Essentials co-host.  Viva Sally & Robert!

Can't wait till the lineup for the new season is unveiled...

• SueSueApplegate, Barton_Keyes and HepburnGirl like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users