We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Exorcist (1973)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GordonCole

GordonCole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

Gotta love finding the subliminals in The Exorcist now that we have dvd's.

#2 DVDPhreak

DVDPhreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

While I prefer EXORCIST 3, and find that to be the creepiest film ever made, seeing THE EXORCIST during its original release was very much an event, and edge of your seat, experience.  I prefer "the version you never saw" cut of the film.

That version tagged on a nonsensical and unnecessary ending.  The original ending is perfect as it is: Father Dyer looks down the fatal staircases, turns around, and walks away.  But in the new ending, as Dyer walks away, he sees Detective Kinderman, and the two strikes up a casual conversation about some old movie.  Obviously the scene serves to echo the earlier moments that show Kinderman as a movie fan.  This scene is also in the book, which was why it was added to the movie.  But what works on paper doesn't always work on the screen.  All it does is that it leaves the viewers totally scratching their heads as to why it is used to end the movie.  It is like when a piece a music already ends with a bang, but the orchestra is still playing on.

#3 traceyk65

traceyk65

Is this where the club meets?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

I was in 2nd or 3rd grade when The Exorcist came out and all I remember is the grown-ups talking about it in hushed tones. I remember the teen-aged daughter of one of my mom's friends went and left in hysterics and my mom (who can be kind of a "Church Lady" at times) said, "Well, it serves her right, going to see trash like that." I think that was, more or less, the reaction of most of the adults I knew at the time.

I came across this a while back--it's a video showing actual audience reactions to the film. I guess it was a BIG thing at the time--nobody had seen anything like it before.

I sometimes wonder what Linda Blair's parents were thinking letting her do the film at age 12.

"If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." Katharine Hepburn 

#4 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

Couldn't have been much of a Buddhist. Buddhists do believe in the existence of demons.

I don't think it's that simple. My impression is that some do and some don't, depending on whether you mean it literally or figuratively. And I wouldn't presume to make a judgement on the depth of a person's religious beliefs.

#5 GordonCole

GordonCole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

Though I don't believe in demons I do believe in the excellence of this film. It has great touches down to the last detail, including the music from Tubular Bells and the subliminals throughout the film are incredible.

#6 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:43 AM

I liked the slow build-up, with people trying to come up with a scientific explanation first: the medical tests etc. The demon chose an innocent girl to exploit the guilt feeling of the grown-ups. Chris felt she hadn't been a good mother. When the demon speaks with the voice of the subway beggar or of Father Karras' mother it's to make him doubt how God could possibly love him.

Then there is the atmosphere created by light vs. darkness and the music, not just Mike Oldfield but also Penderecki and other modernist composers.

#7 petersan

petersan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:13 AM

I saw The Exorcist and hearing a  amount of nervous laughter in the audience

#8 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

While I prefer EXORCIST 3, and find that to be the creepiest film ever made, seeing THE EXORCIST during its original release was very much an event, and edge of your seat, experience.  I prefer "the version you never saw" cut of the film.

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,504 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

I saw The Exorcist when it was first released and all the talk was around about audience reaction to the film. I do remember hearing a fair amount of nervous laughter in the audience in the film's early scenes, obviously in anticipation of what was to come. But we must have been a braver crowd than in some other theatres. No memories of anybody charging out of their seat and out of the building at all.

I found it an effective chiller, but it has never been a favourite of mine. For shudders, I prefer the subtlety to be found in good ghost films like The Uninvited or The Haunting.

While I prefer movies like The Uninvited or The Haunting more then The Exorcist,  I believe what makes The Exorcist impact people is that it isn't a ghost film but one that is based on something that they believe (or were taught to believe) that actually could \ did happen.     This puts the film into a category outside of a standard horror film.   

While I don't have any of those beliefs for those that do I can see how the film would have a much different impact than a standard horror film.

#10 Hookshot

Hookshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

I distinctly remember that after people started streaming for the exits, there was one guy who headed for the door while loudly proclaiming to the audience:  "I'm just going to the bathroom!"  He never came back.  

After the film's release, I remember seeing accounts in newspapers about people claiming to have been possessed.  At that time, one of my co-workers (who had seen the movie) said that he was walking along on a sidewalk and suddenly found himself out in the middle of the street, and in the middle of traffic.  The insinuation was that the devil made him do it.

The power of suggestion (or mass hysteria?).....!  I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but at that time I was living in Los Angeles!

#11 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

I saw The Exorcist when it was first released and all the talk was around about audience reaction to the film. I do remember hearing a fair amount of nervous laughter in the audience in the film's early scenes, obviously in anticipation of what was to come. But we must have been a braver crowd than in some other theatres. No memories of anybody charging out of their seat and out of the building at all.

I found it an effective chiller, but it has never been a favourite of mine. For shudders, I prefer the subtlety to be found in good ghost films like The Uninvited or The Haunting.

#12 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience with this movie, Hook. I never would have guessed audiences would be THAT scared, that they'd run out of a theater!

When it came out, I was too young to see it at 12. Through the years it gained such a reputation, I was too scared to see it!

Finally, as an adult I borrowed the DVD thinking I was mature enough to handle whatever it contained. After seeing ALL the parodies of the movie-especially on Saturday Night Live- none of the gruesome scenes came as any surprise, much diminishing the horror.

I was amazed the "crab walk" down the stairs was a real stunt person & not some type of puppet and marveled at the effects rather than being scared by them.

I did feel very sorry for the little girl and was chilled by that face. I found images of that face on the 'net, just like the OP and actually used the make up for Halloween one year. It's scary in the movie but kind of dumb if you just look at it as "some guy's face in make up".

The illusion of film is a powerful thing!

#13 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts
  • LocationTRUMP COUNTRY -- GOD'S COUNTRY -- PROUD DEPLORABLE

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today. Gen. Robert E. Lee

I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. JFK

The American people, North and South, went into the war as citizens of their respective states, they came out as subjects. What they thus lost they have never got back.  H.L. Mencken

If the Confederacy falls, there should be written on its tombstone: Died of a theory.  Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. President Ronald Reagan

A man's got to know his limitations. Dirty Harry Callahan

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#14 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,500 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

My experience with this film was that my brothers and I (we were agnostic \ Buddhist) just laughed and felt the movie was camp,  but some of our friends,  especially the Catholic ones,  really were impacted.    At first we didn't understand why (I was 14 or so), since we never discuss religion.   So this film opened up that topic.

Couldn't have been much of a Buddhist. Buddhists do believe in the existence of demons.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#15 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,504 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

Thank you, Hookshot, for sharing your "Exorcist" experience.

P.S. --- Be sure to NOT visit my webpages devoted to this film. If you do, you might find yourself sleeping with the light on all over again. :)

My experience with this film was that my brothers and I (we were agnostic \ Buddhist) just laughed and felt the movie was camp,  but some of our friends,  especially the Catholic ones,  really were impacted.    At first we didn't understand why (I was 14 or so), since we never discuss religion.   So this film opened up that topic.

#16 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMooresville, Indiana USA

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:44 AM

Thank you, Hookshot, for sharing your "Exorcist" experience.

P.S. --- Be sure to NOT visit my webpages devoted to this film. If you do, you might find yourself sleeping with the light on all over again. :)

#17 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts
  • LocationTRUMP COUNTRY -- GOD'S COUNTRY -- PROUD DEPLORABLE

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today. Gen. Robert E. Lee

I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. JFK

The American people, North and South, went into the war as citizens of their respective states, they came out as subjects. What they thus lost they have never got back.  H.L. Mencken

If the Confederacy falls, there should be written on its tombstone: Died of a theory.  Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. President Ronald Reagan

A man's got to know his limitations. Dirty Harry Callahan

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#18 Hookshot

Hookshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

I will never forget The Exorcist experience. It was an Event that captured the imagination of the public.  The first time that a girlfriend and I went to see it, the movie had just been released.  We stood for almost 2 hours in a line that wrapped around the block.  We had almost made it up to the ticket window when it was announced that that showing had sold out. 

We went back the next week, and repeated the process all over again.  This time, we got inside.  At the first sound of what seemed to be of something being smashed in the attic....the screams began.  It wasn't long before a few people started heading for the exits.  As the film progressed, more and more people headed for the doors.  When Linda Blair's head spun around and she said 'I am the devil!'....the floodgates were opened, and people did not hesitate to run for the exits. My girlfriend and I stayed until the end, but it was not easy.

Never before had I seen anything affect people like that, and I never want to see such again.  I have to admit that after seeing The Exorcist, there were a couple of nights when I went to bed with the light on.  That was the last horror movie that I ever went to see.  I'm sure that today's horror films make The Exorcist look very lightweight.  However, that....is something I will never find out for myself......

#19 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMooresville, Indiana USA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:39 AM

DVP-Video-Audio-Archive.blogspot.com / The Exorcist (1973)

"['The Exorcist'] is a movie that possesses that magic combination of elements to unsettle almost anyone watching it. .... In my view, some of the most chill-inducing scenes in the movie are BEFORE Regan [Linda Blair] becomes fully possessed by evil forces. For example, there's a scene in which Regan's mother [Ellen Burstyn] enters Regan's frigid bedroom and tucks her daughter in. The camera stares directly into Regan's sleeping face as Miss Burstyn leaves the room. Then we see that Regan wasn't asleep at all, as her eyes suddenly open and she peers directly at us (the camera). An eerie scene to be sure, as we begin to wonder what forces are lurking within this cute, innocent little girl. It's that always disquieting element of the unknown that makes this movie so powerful and nail-bitingly suspenseful. .... Director William Friedkin did a masterful job of unfolding the plot in a natural and well-paced manner. .... Everything about this production seems right -- from the excellent cast, to the atmosphere created within the MacNeil house (which is downright bone-chilling once you get into that bedroom), to the Georgetown setting. It's all just perfect."

-- David Von Pein; June 2004

The-Exorcist-84.png

The-Exorcist-46.png

The-Exorcist-42.png

The-Exorcist.jpg

The-Exorcist-48.png

The-Exorcist-(1973-Movie)-Logo.png
tcm.com / THE EXORCIST

Edited by David Von Pein, 01 April 2015 - 03:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users