We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

EASTER PARADE (1948)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

If there is ever a remake have  Nadine, the star,be told her brother  just sank with the 1912 Titanic.  Grief striken she can't go on and Judy's character takes her place..

#2 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

I agree that the costumes and hairstyles, for that matter, are fairly awful in this movie.

#3 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

It came and went again this year and I watched it as usual. And as usual, I involuntarily groaned at a few of the costuming choices. Has this ever bothered anyone else? I know there was an attempt to depict period styles, but that one brown and pink number with the little flaps in front which Judy wears to dinner at Fred's apartment makes me want to avert my eyes. And that stiff brown thing with all the buttons she wears to the rehearsal hall? The clumps of daisies on the "Snookie-Ookums" dress? Even Ann Miller's spectacular "Shakin' the Blues Away" features that strange lurid yellow oufit that converts from skirt to train, with the incongruous black stockings with some kind of fleur-de-lis motif, and the long black gloves. And what's with those black feathers in her hair? Lose the stockings and gloves and try it in a more restful shade, I say. Obviously, I'm joking, but there does seem to be a fairly long list of iffy choices. And the makeup is different than in any other MGM movie I can think of, with a kind of orange-ish cast to it. None of this is enough to thwart my enjoyment of this classic..one of my favorite movies ever.. but every year I get little twinges when I see some of the old familiar costumes.

• TopBilled likes this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#4 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

Tommy Tune tried to bring Easter Parade to the stage but failed.   White Christmas was tried but it wasn't so wonderful as the movie.  I would recommend Tommy Tune to try again or anyone else willing, NOT to stage the film as it was but create a new book and keep all the songs.

• jaragon likes this

#5 markus21

markus21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

What amazes me about Ann Miller's performance in EASTER PARADE (aside from her tremendous talent as a tap dancer...and being one of the few screen dancing ladies who did her own singing!) is that she performed all her musical numbers in a back brace. Prior to filming she had been thrown down a flight of stairs by her intoxicated husband, causing her to break her back and lose the child she was carrying. 

Her back muscles had not completely healed when the she was cast at the last minute to replace an injured Cyd Charisse in EP, so she wore the back brace throughout the film's production. I'm sure there were days when she must have been in agony, but you'd never know it from her performance. What a trouper!

And it paid off, obviously, when MGM kept her under contract, though I sometimes wish they'd given her a musical "lead" rather than her zesty supporting roles.  She also got some fine notices for EASTER PARADE, including this one from THE NEW YORK TIMES:

Although Judy Garland gets the top billing, she also gets some stiff competition from the long-legged Ann Miller, who does an especially graceful ballroom dance with the master. Miss Garland is a competent trouper, nimble on her feet and professionally sound vocally, but somehow we feel that Miss Miller pairs better with Astaire.

• TopBilled and NickAndNora34 like this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,927 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the correction.   Yes,  it was RKO that Ann fooled into believing she was 18 when she was only 13. 

I wonder if there were studio bosses at the time who liked being fooled, because they liked 13 year old girls. 

• NickAndNora34 likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:24 PM

BTW-- Stage Door is a 1937 RKO movie. Just look around and see Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers in the mid-1930s and you should know you're not at MGM.

Ann Miller signed with Metro in 1948.

Thanks for the correction.   Yes,  it was RKO that Ann fooled into believing she was 18 when she was only 13. 

#8 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:00 PM

I didn't know that. In another post I made a comment that in Stage Door there is the scene with Ann and Ginger and Ann plays a girl that the slimy producer played by Menjou ignores while he goes out of his way to get the attention of Ginger. It was like Ann was cast as the ugly duckling; the gal no one would be interested in.

But since she was 14 maybe that scene was shot that way due to her age??? I just read that Ann lied to MGM and they believed she was 18. I wonder if that really was the case.

Anyway, interesting fact.

BTW-- Stage Door is a 1937 RKO movie. Just look around and see Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers in the mid-1930s and you should know you're not at MGM.

Ann Miller signed with Metro in 1948.

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

The fact she was only 14 (barely) when she did Stage Door is quite true and can be verified by the U.S. Census Bureau. According to the 1930 Census, Johnnie Lucille Ann Collier (aka Ann Miller) was 7 years old and Stage Door being made in 1937 would put her at the ripe old age of 14. LOL She was always tall for her age and, as witnessed in Stage Door, well "developed" for a child of 14. :)

You misunderstood.     I questioned if no one in management at MGM really didn't know.    Because as you note it wouldn't be that difficult to confirm her age.     So maybe the folks in charge at MGM just decided to sign her and 'look the other way'.

Either way Ann was a major talent.

• TopBilled likes this

#10 Flashalex

Flashalex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:22 PM

I didn't know that.    In another post I made a comment that in Stage Door there is the scene with  Ann and Ginger and Ann plays a girl that the slimy producer played by Menjou ignores while he goes out of his way to get the attention of Ginger.    It was like Ann was cast as the ugly duckling;  the gal no one would be interested in.     

But since she was 14 maybe that scene was shot that way due to her age???   I just read that Ann lied to MGM and they believed she was 18.     I wonder if that really was the case.

The fact she was only 14 (barely) when she did Stage Door is quite true and can be verified by the U.S. Census Bureau. According to the 1930 Census, Johnnie Lucille Ann Collier (aka Ann Miller) was 7 years old and Stage Door being made in 1937 would put her at the ripe old age of 14. LOL She was always tall for her age and, as witnessed in Stage Door, well "developed" for a child of 14. :) 

#11 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

Speaking of Ann Miller for a second, something I discovered is that she was only 14 years old when she appeared in the 1937 movie "Stage Door." She certainly held her own tap dancing and wisecracking with Ginger Rogers, Eve Arden, and Kate Hepburn. 

I didn't know that.    In another post I made a comment that in Stage Door there is the scene with  Ann and Ginger and Ann plays a girl that the slimy producer played by Menjou ignores while he goes out of his way to get the attention of Ginger.    It was like Ann was cast as the ugly duckling;  the gal no one would be interested in.     

But since she was 14 maybe that scene was shot that way due to her age???   I just read that Ann lied to MGM and they believed she was 18.     I wonder if that really was the case.

#12 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for the photo of Ann Miller. I have been in love with her since a little boy. Everyone raves about Eleanor Powell being the best female tap dancer of all time but my vote goes to Ann in the categories of ability and beauty. My hobby is taking old photos of actresses from the 20s to the 60s, repairing, cleaning, resizing, and turning them into full color. I have accumulated about 78,000 photos...600 of just Ann Miller.

Speaking of Ann Miller for a second, something I discovered is that she was only 14 years old when she appeared in the 1937 movie "Stage Door." She certainly held her own tap dancing and wisecracking with Ginger Rogers, Eve Arden, and Kate Hepburn. 

• TopBilled likes this

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,927 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the photo of Ann Miller. I have been in love with her since a little boy. Everyone raves about Eleanor Powell being the best female tap dancer of all time but my vote goes to Ann in the categories of ability and beauty. My hobby is taking old photos of actresses from the 20s to the 60s, repairing, cleaning, resizing, and turning them into full color. I have accumulated about 78,000 photos...600 of just Ann Miller.

You're welcome..and thanks for sharing your pics of Ann. Sounds like a fun hobby!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#14 Flashalex

Flashalex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

Tomorrow. :)

• TopBilled likes this

#15 Flashalex

Flashalex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

I watch it every year, but something different seems to catch my attention each time. This time I was very aware of what a good job lip-synching Fred Astaire did. I wonder if it's because, as a dancer, he was so used to repeating routines precisely and applied that same precision to his recreation of the vocal track. Sometimes even excellent singers have trouble with lip-synching, but it seemed so natural with Fred.

Fred always prerecorded his singing...and his tap dancing. I think his impeccable lip-syncing ability may be contributed to his insane sense of timing as an accomplished drummer. Although he started playing piano, accordion, and clarinet at a very early age, his passion was always the drums, as evidenced in films such as  "Lady in Distress", "Easter Parade", Daddy Long-Legs", to name a few. Just my opinion of course.

• DougieB and jamesjazzguitar like this

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,927 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

I'd like to think the TCM programmers were reading this thread and its recent posts. 

National-Tap-Dance-Day-03.jpg

EASTER PARADE is on the schedule in April for the Judy Garland monthly tribute...and...there is an entire daytime line-up of Ann Miller films, including some of her rarely seen Columbia programmers from the 1940s.

On April 12th we have:

THE LIFE OF THE PARTY
NEW FACES OF 1937
TARNISHED ANGEL
TOO MANY GIRLS

GO WEST, YOUNG LADY
TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM

EVE KNEW HER APPLES

THE THRILL OF BRAZIL

THE GREAT AMERICAN PASTIME

Tomorrow. :)

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,927 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

I watch it every year, but something different seems to catch my attention each time. This time I was very aware of what a good job lip-synching Fred Astaire did. I wonder if it's because, as a dancer, he was so used to repeating routines precisely and applied that same precision to his recreation of the vocal track. Sometimes even excellent singers have trouble with lip-synching, but it seemed so natural with Fred.

Have you noticed this with his other MGM musicals? Or mostly with his performance in EASTER PARADE..?

#18 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,530 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

Dougie, what you had to say was very interesting, and I agree completely about Astiare's lip-synching.  However, every time I watch this, I notice that at the end of one of the routines with Garland and Astaire that Judy stops mouthing the final word to the song way before the voice on the recording stops.  I'm surprised that no one at MGM noticed that when they were editing.

• TopBilled likes this

#19 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:38 AM

• TopBilled likes this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,927 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

Easter is next weekend, which means EASTER PARADE will be airing on Sunday, the 27th.

It's also being repeated the following month for the Judy Garland Star of the Month extravaganza-- on April 22nd.

• NickAndNora34 and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users