We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Ruth Chatterton in Frisco Jenny

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

I do feel similarly. Of course, after 34 years of creative repression, it was like a baby learning to walk again after helicopter parents finally realize to call it quits on every.single. detail of that baby's movement. 

Well, that's certainly one way to look at it! :)

• hepclassic likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

Do you feel that way about films that were made in the late 60s or early 70s, right as the production code had ended? Is there a similar freedom in those productions? Or is it different?

I do feel similarly. Of course, after 34 years of creative repression, it was like a baby learning to walk again after helicopter parents finally realize to call it quits on every.single. detail of that baby's movement. 

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:16 PM

Pre-Codes are fun to watch. I love them for their freedom. 

Do you feel that way about films that were made in the late 60s or early 70s, right as the production code had ended? Is there a similar freedom in those productions? Or is it different?

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:06 PM

I too love Frisco Jenny!  I started watching a lot of pre-codes a few years ago on TCM and fell for Ruth Chatterton, Loretta Young, Claudette Colbert and many others.  I had not realized that they were also in Pre-Codes until a few years ago.  Previously, I had seen films they were all in later.  I was in for a treat!  My favorite Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were in several and I discovered Helen Twelvetrees and Sally Eilers as well.

Pre-Codes are fun to watch. I love them for their freedom. 

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#5 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

I too love Frisco Jenny!  I started watching a lot of pre-codes a few years ago on TCM and fell for Ruth Chatterton, Loretta Young, Claudette Colbert and many others.  I had not realized that they were also in Pre-Codes until a few years ago.  Previously, I had seen films they were all in later.  I was in for a treat!  My favorite Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were in several and I discovered Helen Twelvetrees and Sally Eilers as well.

• hepclassic likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:32 PM

frisco-jenny.jpg

She really was a great actress. I've always been curious about the last films she made in the late 30s in England. I am assuming she left Hollywood to try her luck in the British film industry, because she may have felt she could find better opportunities there like Constance Cummings had-- though I wonder how long she stayed in the U.K. She would switch gears and become a writer after she abandoned acting altogether.

• hepclassic likes this

#7 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Frisco Jenny is perhaps my favorite pre-code film. It's a kind of an inverted Madame X: In Madame X, the son is the lawyer who gets his mother acquitted; in Frisco Jenny her son is the DA who convicts his mother. It's a rich, moving film, with great performances and one of the great heart-breaking final scenes: Helen Jerome Eddy burning the clippings, shot from the far side of the fireplace. What a scene! Among its many other virtues, the film has great music, from the opening credits to the final scene and closing credits.

Maybe I am just now noticing this but does Jenny as Helen Jerome Eddy to burn the birth certificate? She has her burn the album, but not that. 

Also, its a shame there wasn't a sequel to this, I cannot imagine her son finding out somehow later in life who his birth mother was and dealing with the guilt over sending her to her death. 

#8 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:29 AM

Frisco Jenny is perhaps my favorite pre-code film. It's a kind of an inverted Madame X: In Madame X, the son is the lawyer who gets his mother acquitted; in Frisco Jenny her son is the DA who convicts his mother. It's a rich, moving film, with great performances and one of the great heart-breaking final scenes: Helen Jerome Eddy burning the clippings, shot from the far side of the fireplace. What a scene! Among its many other virtues, the film has great music, from the opening credits to the final scene and closing credits.

Frisco Jenny also shows the cause of the San Francisco earthquake: the slap Jenny gets from her father. (played by Robert Emmett O'Connor). Go back and look at it; he slaps her, the building shakes; the earthquake destroys much of San Francisco. All because of that slap.

Ruth Chatterton is my favorite pre-code actress. And I like her beyond that period as well.

That must have been some slap! Does that mean the tension between Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy hitting a climax point over Jeanette MacDonald is San Francisco (1936)caused the 1906 earthquake as well?

#9 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:25 PM

frisco-jenny.jpg

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

Frisco Jenny is a treat and so is Ruth.   While many of her movies and associated performances push the envelope (as in borderline campy),  there entertainment value is high.

That's a great way to describe the pleasure of a Ruth Chatterton picture.

• hepclassic likes this

#11 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Frisco Jenny is perhaps my favorite pre-code film. It's a kind of an inverted Madame X: In Madame X, the son is the lawyer who gets his mother acquitted; in Frisco Jenny her son is the DA who convicts his mother. It's a rich, moving film, with great performances and one of the great heart-breaking final scenes: Helen Jerome Eddy burning the clippings, shot from the far side of the fire place. What a scene! Among its many other virtues, the film has great music, from the opening credits to the final scene and closing credits.

Frisco Jenny also shows the cause of the San Francisco earthquake: the slap Jenny gets from her father. (played by Robert Emmett O'Connor). Go back and look at it; he slaps her, the building shakes; the earthquake destroys much of San Francisco. All because of that slap.

Ruth Chatterton is my favorite pre-code actress. And I like her beyond that period as well.

Yes,  until I saw this movie I didn't know that a slap could cause an earthquake.   Now if it as Mae West that was knocked down I could understand that but Ruth???

But yea,  Frisco Jenny is a treat and so is Ruth.   While many of her movies and associated performances push the envelope (as in borderline campy),  their entertainment value is high.

#12 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Finally got around to seeing this precode, and just fell in love with Ruth Chatterton. I've also read that this role is too similar to Madame X. Thoughts? 

• hepclassic likes this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

There's a reason to petition TCM for what to put on DVD next!  :)

Exactly. The Warners Archive really should do a wave of Chatterton's films. She was one of the biggest stars in Hollywood in the early 1930s. 

It looks like JOURNAL OF A CRIME last aired on TCM in October 2014. It usually turns up every year or two, so keep looking for it on the upcoming schedules.

• hepclassic likes this

#14 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

TCM airs JOURNAL OF A CRIME occasionally. It's a pre-code gem. Not sure if it is out on DVD yet. 

P.S. I just checked and it is not on home video. The only Ruth Chatterton films on DVD are: MADAME X; THE RICH ARE ALWAYS WITH US; FRISCO JENNY; GIRLS' DORMITORY; and THE CRASH. Surprised her most famous role in DODSWORTH is not on DVD.

There's a reason to petition TCM for what to put on DVD next!  :)

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:11 PM

Thanks TopBilled. I will look for it. 

TCM airs JOURNAL OF A CRIME occasionally. It's a pre-code gem. Not sure if it is out on DVD yet. 

P.S. I just checked and it is not on home video. The only Ruth Chatterton films on DVD are: MADAME X; THE RICH ARE ALWAYS WITH US; FRISCO JENNY; GIRLS' DORMITORY; and THE CRASH. Surprised her most famous role in DODSWORTH is not on DVD.

#16 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

Thanks TopBilled. I will look for it. 

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

Does she star in that? 

Yes, she does. JOURNAL OF A CRIME was made when she was still a lead actress at Warners.

• hepclassic likes this

#18 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

Frisco Jenny is a good film.   A little over the top but that is the case with many of Chatterton's films.   But it is very entertaining.

I thought it was too quick myself, but considering the audiences- I should be amazed they got in all they did in under 90 minutes. 

#19 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Not sure if it is all that much alike, though there are some similarities. Ruth did play in a film version of Madame X in the late 20s, before FRISCO JENNY was made. 

If you like this picture, check out JOURNAL OF A CRIME, another good melodrama about a woman in jeopardy.

Does she star in that? 

#20 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

Finally got around to seeing this precode, and just fell in love with Ruth Chatterton. I've also read that this role is too similar to Madame X. Thoughts? 

Frisco Jenny is a good film.   A little over the top but that is the case with many of Chatterton's films.   But it is very entertaining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users