We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Do you happen to remember the two episodes of Route 66 in Dan Duryea appeared? I'd love to see them again.

He guest starred in "Don't Count Stars" and "A Cage in Search of a Bird." He also appeared on Naked City in "Daughter Am I in My Father's House."

• Marianne likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

. . .I have the Route 66 DVD set and Dan Duryea is in two episodes where he is very good.

Do you happen to remember the two episodes of Route 66 in Dan Duryea appeared? I'd love to see them again.

#3 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

. . . Too Late for Tears or the reissued one of Killer Bait?  

While I view Killer Bait as an over the top name for a movie there is something about it that I kind of like.

I like the French title "translation" the best: La Tigresse. In fact, I think it would have worked en français for English-speaking audiences. "Tiger" is Dan Duryea's nickname for Lizabeth Scott, and it is perfect for her character.

#4 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Six or seven years ago I got a DVD compilation of femme fatale noir films at Hastings.

They were grainy TV prints, but the whole thing cost only about $6 and I got about 10 movies.

Blonde Ice and Too Late for Tears were the two that stood out in my mind.

I think I've seen Lizabeth Scott perform exceedingly well in the big budget films like Martha Ivers and Dead Reckoning.

But Too Late for Tears is entirely her driven vehicle and she absolutely is in control of every scene that she appears in. She's so strong in this movie that I think she's even in control of scenes that she does not appear in!

Her performance as a greed -driven control freak is not only compelling but sympathetic, believe it or not. The only other movie that ever made me feel this way about murdering thieves was Bonnie and Clyde.

Lizabeth is supported superbly by these fine actors: Arthur Kennedy, Don Defore and the Great Dan Duryea.

Looking at Dan Duryea in this movie you got to say he should have picked up Alan Ladd's mantle as a big Film Noir star,but major stardom, it never happened for him.

I grew up watching Double Indemnity so I couldn't help but see a few similarities. Yet, at the same time this is a cheaper compact movie that almost relied entirely upon the Star's performance.

Because, the writing doesn't compare with Billy Wilder, but the plot is feasible, if not entirely probable.

As you probably know by now I really love this movie. And I'm happy to hear that soon they'll be some really good prints of it out there.

I have a set with these two and four others.  They are not so much grainy as dark.  However, I watched TLFT on TCM recently and it seemed just as dark, particularly the significant night time scenes.

Regardless, it is a good movie and a better copy would definitely make it more enjoyable.  My set also has Lady of Burlesque (Barbara Stanwyck) and Martha Ivers (Stanwyck) which I like more.  

And I do think Scott was very good in Ivers and Dead Reckoning.

I have the Route 66 DVD set and Dan Duryea is in two episodes where he is very good.

• TopBilled likes this

#5 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

Six or seven years ago I got a DVD compilation of femme fatale noir films at Hastings.

They were grainy TV prints, but the whole thing cost only about $6 and I got about 10 movies.

Blonde Ice and Too Late for Tears were the two that stood out in my mind.

I think I've seen Lizabeth Scott perform exceedingly well in the big budget films like Martha Ivers and Dead Reckoning.

But Too Late for Tears is entirely her driven vehicle and she absolutely is in control of every scene that she appears in. She's so strong in this movie that I think she's even in control of scenes that she does not appear in!

Her performance as a greed -driven control freak is not only compelling but sympathetic, believe it or not. The only other movie that ever made me feel this way about murdering thieves was Bonnie and Clyde.

Lizabeth is supported superbly by these fine actors: Arthur Kennedy, Don Defore and the Great Dan Duryea.

Looking at Dan Duryea in this movie you got to say he should have picked up Alan Ladd's mantle as a big Film Noir star,but major stardom, it never happened for him.

I grew up watching Double Indemnity so I couldn't help but see a few similarities. Yet, at the same time this is a cheaper compact movie that almost relied entirely upon the Star's performance.

Because, the writing doesn't compare with Billy Wilder, but the plot is feasible, if not entirely probable.

As you probably know by now I really love this movie. And I'm happy to hear that soon they'll be some really good prints of it out there.
  • cigarjoe, TheCid, TopBilled and 1 other like this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

Thanks to the Film Noir Foundation for restoring TOO LATE FOR TEARS and to TCM for airing it. According to the FNF's website, these films have been brought to new audiences:

screen-shot-2017-09-16-at-6-46-49-pm.png

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

At this very minute, I'm watching TOO LATE FOR TEARS on Amazon Prime. It had been several months since I'd seen it...wanted to re-view it.

The pairing of Lizabeth Scott with Dan Duryea is truly inspired. They're both so good at playing rotten characters.

Roy Huggins was the screenwriter...later known for crime dramas on Rockford Files and Hunter.

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

#8 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

Film will be re-airing on TCM in December. It will included for the end-of-the-year In Memoriam segment honoring Lizabeth Scott (who passed earlier this year).

Lizabeth Scott was such a distinctive actress; she seemed made-to-order for noir.

I loved her in "Dead Reckoning", in which Humphrey Bogart is constantly calling her "Mike".

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

Film will be re-airing on TCM in December. It will included for the end-of-the-year In Memoriam segment honoring Lizabeth Scott (who passed earlier this year).

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

I decided I couldn't wait till Friday and I wound up watching TOO LATE FOR TEARS on Cafe Noir. As I said before, the print quality was rather inferior and there were commercial interruptions. But at least I did manage to see it. I don't think it's as good as I expected it to be, however.

#11 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:42 PM

Does your version have a title card that says Too Late for Tears or the reissued one of Killer Bait?  

While I view Killer Bait as an over the top name for a movie there is something about it that I kind of like.

It's, Too Late For Tears

#12 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

I have it on the Dangerous Dames Collection from Pop Flix division of Allegro Corp., released in 2009.  Supposedly digitally remastered, but the qualty is not too good.  It is almost too "noir" in that the night time scenes are very dark.

Hopefully, the TCM verison will be better.

It's not a bad little movie, but not a top tier Noir.

#13 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

I have a DVDr of it of European R2 origin it's not great. but I am looking forward to the restoration.

Does your version have a title card that says Too Late for Tears or the reissued one of Killer Bait?  

#14 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

On Roku, there is a free channel called 'Cafe Noir' that has a very poor-looking copy of this film. You have to watch it with commercials (sort of like Hulu). 

Has anyone seen it on Cafe Noir?

I have a DVDr of it of European R2 origin it's not great. but I am looking forward to the restoration.

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

On Roku, there is a free channel called 'Cafe Noir' that has a very poor-looking copy of this film. You have to watch it with commercials (sort of like Hulu). 

Has anyone seen it on Cafe Noir?

#16 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

Coming up...later this week...

Love the promo for the film TCM is showing called Killer Bait (the 1955 re-issued title).

• TopBilled likes this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Coming up...later this week...

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

I assume this will be the restored version.   Great to see this film on TCM.   This Summer of Darkness series is going to be great with other first time films like Women on the Run.

Yes, it's nice to have two major TCM premieres in this series. Looking forward to it!

• cigarjoe likes this

#19 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

As part of the Summer of Darkness series on TCM in July:

TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949) with Lizabeth Scott, Don DeFore & Dan Duryea is on the schedule-- on the 17th.

I assume this will be the restored version.   Great to see this film on TCM.   This Summer of Darkness series is going to be great with other first time films like Women on the Run.

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

As part of the Summer of Darkness series on TCM in July:

screen-shot-2015-04-20-at-7-35-24-pm.png

TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949) with Lizabeth Scott, Don DeFore & Dan Duryea is on the schedule-- on the 17th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users