We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,313 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

At this very minute, I'm watching TOO LATE FOR TEARS on Amazon Prime. It had been several months since I'd seen it...wanted to re-view it.

The pairing of Lizabeth Scott with Dan Duryea is truly inspired. They're both so good at playing rotten characters.

Roy Huggins was the screenwriter...later known for crime dramas on Rockford Files and Hunter.

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

Film will be re-airing on TCM in December. It will included for the end-of-the-year In Memoriam segment honoring Lizabeth Scott (who passed earlier this year).

Lizabeth Scott was such a distinctive actress; she seemed made-to-order for noir.

I loved her in "Dead Reckoning", in which Humphrey Bogart is constantly calling her "Mike".

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,313 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

Film will be re-airing on TCM in December. It will included for the end-of-the-year In Memoriam segment honoring Lizabeth Scott (who passed earlier this year).

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,313 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

I decided I couldn't wait till Friday and I wound up watching TOO LATE FOR TEARS on Cafe Noir. As I said before, the print quality was rather inferior and there were commercial interruptions. But at least I did manage to see it. I don't think it's as good as I expected it to be, however.

#5 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:42 PM

Does your version have a title card that says Too Late for Tears or the reissued one of Killer Bait?  

While I view Killer Bait as an over the top name for a movie there is something about it that I kind of like.

It's, Too Late For Tears

#6 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

I have it on the Dangerous Dames Collection from Pop Flix division of Allegro Corp., released in 2009.  Supposedly digitally remastered, but the qualty is not too good.  It is almost too "noir" in that the night time scenes are very dark.

Hopefully, the TCM verison will be better.

It's not a bad little movie, but not a top tier Noir.

#7 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

I have a DVDr of it of European R2 origin it's not great. but I am looking forward to the restoration.

Does your version have a title card that says Too Late for Tears or the reissued one of Killer Bait?  

While I view Killer Bait as an over the top name for a movie there is something about it that I kind of like.

#8 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

On Roku, there is a free channel called 'Cafe Noir' that has a very poor-looking copy of this film. You have to watch it with commercials (sort of like Hulu). 

Has anyone seen it on Cafe Noir?

I have a DVDr of it of European R2 origin it's not great. but I am looking forward to the restoration.

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,313 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

On Roku, there is a free channel called 'Cafe Noir' that has a very poor-looking copy of this film. You have to watch it with commercials (sort of like Hulu). 

Has anyone seen it on Cafe Noir?

#10 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

Coming up...later this week...

Love the promo for the film TCM is showing called Killer Bait (the 1955 re-issued title).

• TopBilled likes this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,313 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Coming up...later this week...

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,313 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

I assume this will be the restored version.   Great to see this film on TCM.   This Summer of Darkness series is going to be great with other first time films like Women on the Run.

Yes, it's nice to have two major TCM premieres in this series. Looking forward to it!

• cigarjoe likes this

#13 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

As part of the Summer of Darkness series on TCM in July:

TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949) with Lizabeth Scott, Don DeFore & Dan Duryea is on the schedule-- on the 17th.

I assume this will be the restored version.   Great to see this film on TCM.   This Summer of Darkness series is going to be great with other first time films like Women on the Run.

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,313 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

As part of the Summer of Darkness series on TCM in July:

screen-shot-2015-04-20-at-7-35-24-pm.png

TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949) with Lizabeth Scott, Don DeFore & Dan Duryea is on the schedule-- on the 17th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users