We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Movie Clip Help

Makeover 50s 60s in color

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

Hi ,
I was discussing This post with a friend who loves movies as much as I do and she said she thought it might have been a Tuesday Weld film but she couldn't recall the name of it.Is anyone familiar with her films and would know if she was in something like what I am looking for  because I am not familiar with her.Thanks again to everyone for trying to help,I really appreciate it !.

#2 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:44 PM

Hi Everyone ,
I just wanted to say I am sorry I haven't posted here lately. My Aunt Passed away from cancer so I have been dealing with that. As always thank you to everyone helping me out, I still can't figure out the movie.If anyone has anymore ideas please keep them coming.The scene keeps replaying in my head and now I remember that it played out very comical when everything was happening to the woman.I know I have been annoying to everyone on this thread and I am sorry BUT I REALLY DO APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELP !. I am going to go through all the movies that you all suggested and find them on youtube. If anyone has any other movies they think it could be please tell me because as I said in the beginning I still cannot figure it out.
Thank You all again for your help.

#3 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

I don't know why I bother about this topic, but I think Kid Dab is right about Made In Paris, with Ann Margaret..  Perhaps it's the challenge presented by the nagging mystery that hooked me into not only recording this processed Hollywood fare, but actually got  me to watch the entire movie, something I would otherwise not have wasted more than three minutes on.  Toward the beginning there is a scene that echoes your memory.  Details are different, but that's not unusual in people recalling movies they saw a long time ago, as we have often encountered here in Information, Please!

It is Ann Margaret, a red head, who is the actress in question.  She is trying to sneak into a Paris fashion show without an invitation.  She makes her way backstage, spies a model in a red dress entering the model's dressing room, and follows her in.  She tries to pass through to get a seat in the audience, but she is corralled by a couple of older women dressers, who start to remove her clothes.  She is rescued by the designer himself entering to check on the progress of the show.

None of the images available on the internet I can find include the fashion show, but if you want I can rip my DVD and upload pics.

Thank you for your input But I watched that movie on youtube and It wasn't it, It was still a good movie and I will probably put it on my list of to watch again movies.I'd also like to mention that I wasnt able to watch The opposite Sex with June allyson because where I live it showed at 3 am this morning lol.

#4 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I was told by a friend that I should come here to ask my movie trivia question for a movie that I saw as a child because I keep thinking about it but can't figure out what it is and I know I didn't dream of it. My dreams are never this vivid lol . I did'nt see a topic for it so I thought I would start a new one.

OK here is the question:

I am trying to find out the name of a movie I watched as a child but I only remember one scene from it that happens kind of quickly. I think that the movie takes place in the late 50's early 60's ( from the looks of the clothing ) and it is in color.What i remember is there is a blonde woman ( possibly Doris Day , shes the only blonde Actress from the 60's I could think of  but again I don't know ) in a beige or white  peacoat with Matching small round hat and your watching the screen as if your across the street from her watching where she is going ( as if your a bird or dsomething is the only way I can explain that kind of movie shot) . She goes back into a alley way and goes into a warehouse and she is obviously looking for someone ( she finds them after this part) and there is crazyness going on with a bunch of girls changing clothes with older women helping them .One of the older women spots the person in the  coat and I guess she thinks that she is one of the models that are late, the older woman signals to another older woman to come over. they grab the blonde and take her and sit  her in a makeup/ salon chair and then it looks like they start to take off her shoes / other pieces of clothing and one woman takes off her hat and looks like shes trying to shampoo her or something but this group of women is crowding around her getting her ready for what you come to find out is a fashion show in the next scene after the screen goes black for 2 sec and switches ,The woman in question does try to get up but theyre kind of not holdning her down but definately keeping her from getting up . There is no actual talking in this part to my memory just music and it goes kind of fast when they spot her and get her ready .after the screen goes to where they have the fashion show going on there is talking again and she comes out and is wearing a dress ( to my memory it was  blues & green )and held small hand fluffy  fan, she spots the man she was looking for and he sees her and gives her the gesture as if to say " what are you doing " and she looks at him from the stage and shugs her shoulders as to say " i don't know " and starts to run into a couple other models .

AND thats all I remember. If someone can get through all that and know what I am talking about that would be great. SORRY I typed so much , I just wanted to put everything I remembered :D.

I don't know why I bother about this topic, but I think Kid Dab is right about Made In Paris, with Ann Margaret..  Perhaps it's the challenge presented by the nagging mystery that hooked me into not only recording this processed Hollywood fare, but actually got  me to watch the entire movie, something I would otherwise not have wasted more than three minutes on.  Toward the beginning there is a scene that echoes your memory.  Details are different, but that's not unusual in people recalling movies they saw a long time ago, as we have often encountered here in Information, Please!

It is Ann Margaret, a red head, who is the actress in question.  She is trying to sneak into a Paris fashion show without an invitation.  She makes her way backstage, spies a model in a red dress entering the model's dressing room, and follows her in.  She tries to pass through to get a seat in the audience, but she is corralled by a couple of older women dressers, who start to remove her clothes.  She is rescued by the designer himself entering to check on the progress of the show.

None of the images available on the internet I can find include the fashion show, but if you want I can rip my DVD and upload pics.

#5 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

From what I read of your summary, there WAS a fashion show involved somehow.  The only Doris Day movie I recall having a fashion show from the early 60's is:

Midnight Lace (1960)--Someone's trying to kill Doris, & she has a Major breakdown at the beginning or during a fashion show--I forget which--& aunt/in-law Myrna Loy & some models have to hold her down to keep her from totally ruining their show.

Now this is mid-60's with a definitely older blonde actress.  Madame X (1966) with Lana Turner also features a fashion show--a makeover?--I don't know

Both films were produced by Ross Hunter, who was known for paying attention to production values (i.e., making sure viewers saw all the money spent on clothes and such.

I also saw you said Madame X and I researched it and couldn't find anything like what I am trying to figure out , thank you gain for your help :D.

• film lover 293 likes this

#6 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

From what I read of your summary, there WAS a fashion show involved somehow.  The only Doris Day movie I recall having a fashion show from the early 60's is:

Midnight Lace (1960)--Someone's trying to kill Doris, & she has a Major breakdown at the beginning or during a fashion show--I forget which--& aunt/in-law Myrna Loy & some models have to hold her down to keep her from totally ruining their show.

Now this is mid-60's with a definitely older blonde actress.  Madame X (1966) with Lana Turner also features a fashion show--a makeover?--I don't know

Both films were produced by Ross Hunter, who was known for paying attention to production values (i.e., making sure viewers saw all the money spent on clothes and such.

Thank you but I couldn't find anything about that movie having that scene except for twards the end when she is in a house with Ms.Loy and Rex Harrison and she screams and they hold her while she is on the floor :(. Thank you for trying to help me though its very much appreciated :).

#7 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

#8 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

Not sure if this film was already mentioned but what about The Opposite Sex with June Allyson? 

(remake of The Women).

NO it wasn't and I am looking it up right now to see if there is a makeover in it,Thank you for your help :D

It looks liek I will have to watch this one too because again I am not finding much on google or youtube.Thank you again very much for your help :D.

#9 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

Not sure if this film was already mentioned but what about The Opposite Sex with June Allyson? 

(remake of The Women).

NO it wasn't and I am looking it up right now to see if there is a makeover in it,Thank you for your help :D

#10 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

(remake of The Women).

#11 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

WOW guys thank you again !. I am not sure if this is it so I will have to watch it and I will let you all know but from the pics posted here and what I found on google this doesn't look like  it but AGAIN I will wait for it to show on tv. Thank you all so much for the help.You've all been really nice to me  and helpful on here.If you have any other ideas on what movie it could be PLEASE ! keep posting them because I have to figure this out.Its been making me slightly crazy (joking ) for years now trying to figure it out since that scene I first posted is the only thing that keeps randomly  replaying in my head like a broken record lol. So every time I think about it I try to google late 50's and early 60's fasion movies with makeovers in them and not a lot pops up for me  . :D

#12 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:03 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when I saw an interstitial on TCM about this movie - and hey! So I dug up some pics and, violà!

:P

Well I don't mind the pictures.   There are some very nice gals in that movie.  

#13 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

You're like Sherlock Holmes;  once you're on a case you don't give up. 

There I was, minding my own business, when I saw an interstitial on TCM about this movie - and hey! So I dug up some pics and, violà!

:P

FdX2C0H.gif

#14 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

One mo time...

Made in Paris (1966).. ?

And.. this one will be shown twice on TCM in the very near future:

TUESDAY, JULY 21 @ 04:30 AM (ET)

THURSDAY, AUGUST 13 @ 12:00 PM (ET) 

You're like Sherlock Holmes;  once you're on a case you don't give up. 

#15 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

One mo time...

Made in Paris (1966).. ?

295fz1z.jpg

And.. this one will be shown twice on TCM in the very near future:

TUESDAY, JULY 21 @ 04:30 AM (ET)

THURSDAY, AUGUST 13 @ 12:00 PM (ET) 

FdX2C0H.gif

#16 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

thank you forthe  link but I don't think that was it , She looks much older in that then the woman in question. If it wasnt Doris Day I have no clue who it was.Thanks for all of your help.its truley apriceated  :)

#17 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,958 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:01 PM

If it was Doris Day, you might be recalling something from her TV show: CBS Television network, September 1968 until March 1973.

Ya never know..

That's what I said back on May 20th.   Check my post.  There was an episode where she was a model in a fashion show.  Peter Lawford appeared in the episode.

http://www.tv.com/sh...benefit-116776/

#18 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

If it was Doris Day, you might be recalling something from her TV show: CBS Television network, September 1968 until March 1973.

Ya never know..

FdX2C0H.gif

#19 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

hi Everyone,
if there are still people looking at my original post to help me figure it out, I wAnted to let you all know that I changed some wording around including the color of the lady in questions outfit color because like I said before I have no clue why I put red lol. thank you to everyone who is helping me with this because I truley apriciate it. ( sorry if my spelling is a little off, I can't help it :D ).

#20 Lesliehowardlover89

Lesliehowardlover89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

thank you I'll try there later :).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Makeover, 50s, 60s, in color

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users