We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

• Please log in to reply
3775 replies to this topic

#1 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted Today, 03:38 PM

Bogie56--"Gojira" (1956) is the Japanese language Godzilla, with English subtitles.  No Raymond Burr, and Gojira moves much faster in this;  check out the clips on TCM.  It is definitely worth the watch, with an anti-nuclear message for those who wish to look for it.

• mr6666 likes this

#2 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,220 posts

Posted Today, 01:52 PM

8 p.m.  Gojira (1956) aka Godzilla.  I guess it doesn’t have Raymond Burr?

Once you've watched 'Gojira', I can't understand anyone ever wanting to go back and suffer through that Raymond Burr abomination ever again.

'Gojira' is art; the other is aggravating junk.

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#3 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Today, 08:23 AM

Thursday, March 23

Why ‘worst of the worst’ ?

8 p.m.  Gojira (1956) aka Godzilla.  I guess it doesn’t have Raymond Burr?

#4 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Today, 08:22 AM

Usually, if a movie needs restoration to save it, the Criterion restoration is bought or added to the studio vault--It's all about "saving" the print, after all.  
I remember watching another network running a Universal Monsters marathon for Halloween, and was surprised to see Criterion's brand new Island of Lost Souls print added to Universal's roster.

But since nobody "owns" Welles' Othello, that may not be the case.

(And is it just me, or was Welles just not that good an Othello?  Welles spent too much directorial and performance time trying to work past the blackface and make Othello seem "noble" as a good military man, but that makes him too stiff to show any emotion at all when he's supposed to be going unhinged with jealousy.  More like a 4-star Pentagon general talking to the press about rumors of his wife's affair, and only showing a little personal disgruntlement when he gets questions about the evidence.)

Othello is owned by his daughter.  The last restoration was criticized for the remastering of the music score and also because they went to a lot of trouble to restore the film then inexplicably did not use the correct elements when they mastered the dvd.

To each his own on how much you like the film.  I think it is brilliant and Welles is very good in it.

Fans of the film should look for Filming Othello (1977) which is a documentary Welles did for German television to make some cash.  There is one sequence where Welles describes the imagery he put in the film.

#5 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:49 PM

Criterion is set to re-release Othello on Bluray which will have both the European (1952) and U.S. (1955) versions.  I doubt this screening will feature either one of those restorations.

Usually, if a movie needs restoration to save it, the Criterion restoration is bought or added to the studio vault--It's all about "saving" the print, after all.  
I remember watching another network running a Universal Monsters marathon for Halloween, and was surprised to see Criterion's brand new Island of Lost Souls print added to Universal's roster.

But since nobody "owns" Welles' Othello, that may not be the case.

(And is it just me, or was Welles just not that good an Othello?  Welles spent too much directorial and performance time trying to work past the blackface and make Othello seem "noble" as a good military man, but that makes him too stiff to show any emotion at all when he's supposed to be going unhinged with jealousy.  More like a 4-star Pentagon general talking to the press about rumors of his wife's affair, and only showing a little personal disgruntlement when he gets questions about the evidence.)

Let's start a revolution:  http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#6 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Wednesday, March 22

There are lots of old favourites today.  This one is always creepy fun …

5:45 p.m.  The Birds (1963).

• film lover 293 likes this

#7 JeanneCrain

JeanneCrain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

A few favorites in the near future I won’t be missing…

3/23 Casablanca 1942 (One of the best films ever made)

3/24 The Wizard of Oz 1939 (All time great Judy Garland’s “some were over the rainbow” fantasy with the multi-character talent of Frank Morgan)

4/4 Fifth Avenue Girl 1939 (Love Walter Connolly and Ginger Rogers in this classic…”it’s my birthday” comedy)

4/6 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre 1948 (Bogart’s Best Performance?)

#8 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

But Yul Brynner's Gunslinger was fascinating to watch. Did this man ever age? He looks exactly the same here as he did in The King and I which was almost 20 years earlier.

His hair never went gray.
  • speedracer5, LiamCasey and LornaHansonForbes like this

#9 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

Tuesday, March 21st; all times E.S.T.:

1:00 p.m. "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (1982)--Performance of the Stephen Sondheim musical that was videotaped at the end of a ten month road tour.  This is the only one of Lansbury's four musical Tony winning performances that is preserved on video. This is SO much better than the 2007 version with Johnny Depp.  George Hearn sings the title role properly, as it was meant to be sung.  Angela Lansbury is amazing.  I can't recommend this highly enough.

Edit--just got a look at the short films added today.  Check TCM's RKO filmography:

http://www.tcm.com/t...h-synopsis.html

"Cave Explorers" (1957) is the last RKO short ever released. It's on at 11:19 p.m. E.S.T.

• TikiSoo and LornaHansonForbes like this

#10 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

Tuesday, March 21/22

3:30 a.m.  White Heat (1949).  With an insane Jimmy Cagney.  Top of the world, indeed.

#11 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:50 AM

Monday, March 20

5:45 p.m.  Othello (1952).  My favourite Shakespeare on film.  By orson Welles.

Criterion is set to re-release Othello on Bluray which will have both the European (1952) and U.S. (1955) versions.  I doubt this screening will feature either one of those restorations.

#12 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:04 PM

In his post of 2:55 p.m. March 19th, Bogie56 said 6:00 a.m. "Adventure Malgache (1944)-- A Hitchcock short?"

Hitchcock made two short films for British Ministry of Information during WW II.  Adventure Malgache was the second of the two.  They were deemed ineffective for various reasons, and shelved by the Ministry till the early 1990's.  Check the article on TCM's webpage for Adventure Malgache.

Hitchcock's first short film, "Bon Voyage" (1944) is being shown on March 20th, at 1:30 p.m., E.S.T.  It too has an article about it on TCM's webpage for Bon Voyage.

Both are well worth a watch.

• Bogie56 likes this

#13 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,225 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

3/20

I'm planning on recording They Live By Night.  This film is being released by Criterion in a couple months and I found that I really enjoy Nicholas Ray's films. The film sounds really interesting as well.

I was planning on taping that to keep, but then Criterion announced that they were releasing it in June, so I'll wait for that. I like the movie quite a bit.

I'd also recommend Peeping Tom 10:00 PM EST. It's another favorite that I haven't managed to get a copy of yet, so I'll be recording it tomorrow until I can.

#14 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,306 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

3/20

There's a lot of great stuff on tomorrow:

The Letter.  One of Bette Davis' best films and one of the best noir films.  The intro is haunting and sets the tone for the whole film.

Modern Times.  Like I said above, I love this film.  Charlie Chaplin's last silent film.  

If there's one thing I like, it's malice in movies:

Psycho.  Nothing needs to be said about this, but Anthony Perkins is definitely one of the creepiest villains in film history.  There's nothing scarier than a seemingly meek, quiet, nice man, but one who is deeply disturbed. 

The Night of the Hunter.  A strange film, but also very compelling.  Robert Mitchum plays an excellent villain.  He's scary in this film and terrifying in Cape Fear.  I loved the backgrounds.  Does anyone else think that the little girl looked like a miniature Bette Davis?

A Face in the Crowd.  I love this film.  A completely different side of Andy Griffith.  The subject matter of this film is as timely as ever. 

Westworld.  This was a strange film.  But Yul Brynner's Gunslinger was fascinating to watch.  Did this man ever age? He looks exactly the same here as he did in The King and I which was almost 20 years earlier. 

I'm planning on recording They Live By Night.  This film is being released by Criterion in a couple months and I found that I really enjoy Nicholas Ray's films. The film sounds really interesting as well.

• mr6666 and film lover 293 like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#15 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,306 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

Monday, March 20

It’s too bad TCM couldn't play a copy of We’ll Meet Again (1943) to celebrate Dame Vera Lynn’s 100th birthday today.

6 a.m.  Adventure Malgache (1944).  A Hitchcock short?

noon.  Modern Times (1936).  Brilliant Charles Chaplin film.

I love Modern Times! The scene where he goes through the gears and then goes backward through the gears is a very impressive visual effect for 1936.  Apparently, he really did go through the gears, and because it was uncomfortable, he would only do it once.  Of course, they reversed the film for when he goes back through the gears in the opposite direction.  I also love the feeding machine that beats him up.  

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#16 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Monday, March 20

It’s too bad TCM couldn't play a copy of We’ll Meet Again (1943) to celebrate Dame Vera Lynn’s 100th birthday today.

6 a.m.  Adventure Malgache (1944).  A Hitchcock short?

noon.  Modern Times (1936).  Brilliant Charles Chaplin film.

• speedracer5 likes this

#17 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

Today (March 19) at 7:00 PM Eastern is a repeat of Robert Osborne's Private Screenings interview with Liza Minnelli from 2010.
The two seem to have a genuine affection for each other and the interview feels like a conversation between friends.
It includes Liza's "Balls to you!" anecdote which inspired several video re-mixes that became quite popular online.

#18 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:52 AM

Sunday, March 19/20

Robert Osborne tribute day.

9:15 a.m. and midnight.  With Peter O’Toole.

• mr6666 likes this

#19 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

Tonight (March 17, 2017) TCM is airing GIRL WITH GREEN EYES as part of the St. Patrick's Day salute.
The movie was bumped from the January schedule, but happily it has remained on the March schedule.
Directed by Desmond Davis, the movie stars two of my favorites, Rita Tushingham and Lynn Redgrave.

The movie also stars Peter Finch, who's probably best known for his Oscar-winning role as Howard Beale in NETWORK. (He also appeared in Robert Aldrich's THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE.) :)

(Sigh)

I miss Lynn Redgrave.

Peter French is also very good in THE NUNS STORY.

Ps: "now go get my harness and tell 'em LYLAH'S COMING!"
  • HoldenIsHere likes this

#20 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

Tonight  (March 17, 2017) TCM is airing GIRL WITH GREEN EYES as part of the St. Patrick's Day salute. 

The movie was bumped from the January schedule, but happily it has remained on the March schedule.

Directed by Desmond Davis, the movie stars two of my favorites, Rita Tushingham and Lynn Redgrave.

The movie also stars Peter Finch, who's probably best known for his Oscar-winning role as Howard Beale in NETWORK.  (He also appeared in  Robert Aldrich's THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE.) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users