We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

• Please log in to reply
4059 replies to this topic

#1 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted Today, 02:00 PM

Tuesday, May 30th.  All times E.S.T.:

1:30 p.m. "The Thing From Another World" (1951)--Final creature feature of the month, and a darned good one.

10:00 p.m. "Mogambo" (1953)--Has Ava Gardner's only Oscar nominated performance; she and Gable strike sparks together in this amiable remake of "Red Dust" (1932).

#2 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,380 posts

Posted Today, 01:00 PM

Tuesday, May 30

8 p.m.  It Started In Naples (1960) is my pick because of Sophia Loren and Vittorio De Sica.  Oh, and Clark Gable is in it too.

Loren is a playful, voluptuous delight in It Started With Naples but Gable is clearly far too old for her, looking old enough to be her father.

This is ironic, since his previous film, But Not For Me, dealt in humourous terms with the idea of an age gap between Clark and a younger actress in love with him (Carroll Baker). Gable showed a maturity in this film (emotionally, that is) by acknowledging he was no longer a young stud. With It Started in Naples, however, it was back to the presentation of this aging leading man as "hot stuff" once again.

Ironically, too, Loren was THREE YEARS YOUNGER than Baker (for whom Gable's character finally admitted he was too old in the previous film).

Unfortunately, I don't see But Not For Me, an admittedly lightweight Paramount production, scheduled for broadcast in TCM's Gable tribute.

• mr6666 and Bogie56 like this

#3 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Today, 12:38 PM

Tuesday, May 30

8 p.m.  It Started In Naples (1960) is my pick because of Sophia Loren and Vittorio De Sica.  Oh, and Clark Gable is in it too.

• mr6666 likes this

#4 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted Today, 08:43 AM

Another full day of war movies.  TCM owes me a week of Stanwyck movies after this. 

Also spellcheck needs to learn that Stanwyck is a  proper name.

i feel you.

if you got about 40 minutes to kill, you could do worse than this:

(radio episode of THE SCREEN DIRECTOR'S PLAYHOUSE with Barbara reprising her role in the 1950 movie NO MAN OF HER OWN.)

#5 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,380 posts

Posted Today, 08:20 AM

never apologize Mister, it's a sign of weakness.

Only a fool would believe such a stupid line from a movie.

Try telling that to your "macho" President.

#6 AndreaDoria

AndreaDoria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted Today, 08:07 AM

Another full day of war movies.  TCM owes me a week of Stanwyck movies after this. 

Also spellcheck needs to learn that Stanwyck is a  proper name.

• LornaHansonForbes and film lover 293 like this

#7 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted Today, 06:42 AM

DAMN!!!!
And here I am 2/3 of the way done with my Crosstitch...
  • misswonderly3 and film lover 293 like this

#8 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,768 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted Today, 05:55 AM

#9 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Today, 05:33 AM

Monday, May 29/30

12:30 a.m.  The Enemy Below (1957) is my pick of the submarine movies mainly because of Curd Jurgens.

• LawrenceA likes this

#10 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:19 PM

Monday, May 29th; One I haven't seen before, one reliably absurd favorite.  All times E.S.T.:

7:45 a.m. "Operation Crossbow" (1965)--This one I've never seen.

2:30 p.m.  "Where Eagles Dare" (1968)--The further behind German lines the mission gets, the more British Richard Burton sounds; regardless, he fools the (bad) Germans.  Film's filled with things that go boom, nice scenery (The Alps?, Ingrid Pitt, etc.), sarcasm (mostly from Burton & Clint Eastwood).  Enjoyable war movie.

WHERE EAGLES DARE was filmed in Werfen, Austria part of Salzburg province.  It is the exact same location where the opening segment of the number, Do, Re, Mi was filmed for THE SOUND OF MUSIC.  In fact, you see the castle, behind Maria and the kids while they are having their picnic.  Both EAGLES and CROSSBOW are fine films, though I feel they show EAGLES quite a lot.

• film lover 293 likes this

#11 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:08 PM

Monday, May 29th; One I haven't seen before, one reliably absurd favorite.  All times E.S.T.:

7:45 a.m. "Operation Crossbow" (1965)--This one I've never seen.

2:30 p.m.  "Where Eagles Dare" (1968)--The further behind German lines the mission gets, the more British Richard Burton sounds; regardless, he fools the (bad) Germans.  Film's filled with things that go boom, nice scenery (The Alps?, Ingrid Pitt, etc.), sarcasm (mostly from Burton & Clint Eastwood).  Enjoyable war movie.

• LawrenceA likes this

#12 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

(maybe I'll give 12OH another chance...)

Thanks for the recommendation on the Mitchum film, I am fascinated by THE KOREAN WAR, which really is THE forgotten conflict of the 20th century. I'm surprised it came out in 1952- one year before the war ended if I'm thinking right....

One Minute to Zero is very relevant to what is going on today between the EU and Syrian war refugees.    Blyth is a U.N. worker sent to Korean to assist refugees that wish to leave the north for the south.   Mitchum is an Army veterans Colonel that needs to ensure that North Korean guerrillas don't cross over with legit refugees.  

• ChristineHoard and LornaHansonForbes like this

#13 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

Saturday, May 27

War in Korea!

10:30 a.m.  One Minute to Zero (1952).  Robert Mitchum in Korea.

Sunday, May 28

8 p.m.  Twelve O’clock High (1949).  I make no apologies.  I love this film.  A classic from Henry King.  Great tension and very realistically done.

(maybe I'll give 12OH another chance...)

Thanks for the recommendation on the Mitchum film, I am fascinated by THE KOREAN WAR, which really is THE forgotten conflict of the 20th century. I'm surprised it came out in 1952- one year before the war ended if I'm thinking right....

#14 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

Saturday, May 27

War in Korea!

10:30 a.m.  One Minute to Zero (1952).  Robert Mitchum in Korea.

Sunday, May 28

8 p.m.  Twelve O’clock High (1949).  I make no apologies.  I love this film.  A classic from Henry King.  Great tension and very realistically done.

• mr6666, ChristineHoard, LornaHansonForbes and 1 other like this

#15 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

As for Twelve O'clock High:  So Peck is too stoic in this film for you?   

....In this and in pretty much everything else, except for MOCKINGBIRD, where the stoicism is called for.

TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH made its premiere on TCM within the last couple of years (I think) and I caught it when it first ran and just found it to be REALLY DULL, like hopelessly humdrum, dimly lit, and paced slower than Grandma's underpants. also could've used some sharper editing and a score.

#16 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

Hmm. Kinda iffy on the Memorial Day line-up; I'd say skip THE WINGS OF EAGLES on tonight, it's a disjointed mess of a movie. MISTER ROBERTS is on Saturday night @ 10:30, it's one of those films that seems to SHARPLY divide the commentariat here (I'm fine with it, but some really seem to not like it at all)- so if you haven't seen it, feel free to check it out and voice your opinion.

DEFINITE MISS: TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, rates no better than two out of four stars for me, on Sunday in prime time.

As for Twelve O'clock High:  So Peck is too stoic in this film for you?     After watching Feud - Bette \ Joan,  I will never see Gary Merrill in the same way I use to.   Instead I'm looking for that Wagon Train performance!   But seriously Merrill's performance in 12 O'clock is one of his best. 

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#17 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

Hmm. Kinda iffy on the Memorial Day line-up; I'd say skip THE WINGS OF EAGLES on tonight, it's a disjointed mess of a movie. MISTER ROBERTS is on Saturday night @ 10:30, it's one of those films that seems to SHARPLY divide the commentariat here (I'm fine with it, but some really seem to not like it at all)- so if you haven't seen it, feel free to check it out and voice your opinion.

DEFINITE MISS: TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, rates no better than two out of four stars for me, on Sunday in prime time.

#18 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,506 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

Sunday 1 p.m.

Nazi Agent (1942)

Synopsis: An Allied sympathizer discovers his twin brother is a Nazi spy.

This sounds great! Get a load of the description by Maltin -

D: Jules Dassin. Conrad Veidt, Anne Ayars, Dorothy Tree, Frank Reicher, Sidney Blackmer, Martin Kosleck, Marc Lawrence, William Tannen. Veidt plays twin brothers: one a peaceful American; the other a Nazi official. When the latter blackmails the former into spying, the good Veidt kills the bad Veidt and impersonates him. Slow-moving, rather arid tale that could have been much better. Dassin's first feature; good photography by Harry Neanderthal Man, The (1953) 78m. *1/2 D: E. A. Dupont. Robert Shayne, Richard Crane, Doris Merrick, Joy Terry. Shayne turns a tiger into a sabertooth and himself into a murderous caveman in this below- par '50s entry. Colorless and cheap; director Dupont was a long way from his German classic VARIETY.

Nazis and Neanderthals ... can't miss!

• mr6666 likes this

I'm a big boy.

#19 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Friday, May 26

7 a.m.  The Girl In the Show (1929) with Bessie Love.

8:30 a.m.  War Nurse (1930) with Robert Montgomery and Anita Page.

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#20 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

Thursday, May 25

11:15 p.m.  The Cosmic Monster (1958).  Forrest Tucker and giant bugs.

• mr6666 likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users