We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

• Please log in to reply
4438 replies to this topic

#1 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,711 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Sunday, July 23rd/24th--All times E.S.T.:

12:00 a.m. "The Mating Call" (1928)--James Cruze directed, Howard Hughes produced silent--TCM's webpage for the film has a good article.

1:16 a.m. "Know Your Ally: Britain" (1944)--Frank Capra directed, Walter Huston narrated WW II 42 minute film was part of the war effort.  TCM has an excellent article on the films' webpage.  Oh--14 Hollywood composers are credited with the music for this film, among them Dimitri Tiomkin, Alfred Newman, and David Raksin.  On that basis alone, should be worth the watch.

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,427 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Yesterday, 04:58 PM

giphy.gif

No joke.    I didn't know about this until I saw her on the game show Tattletales,  a few weeks back.   Her husband was asked a multiple choice question and he picked the musical choice, out of the three possible answers.    She also gave the same answer and this surprised many in the audience.    Then host,  Bert Convy,  explained that she was a fine pianist.     So she wasn't only a great hairstylist.   :lol:

#3 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:33 PM

Sunday, July 23/24.

2 a.m.  Until the End of the World (1991).  This one was a miss for me.  I much prefer Wenders earlier road movies.

Yikes......Couldn't get thru PLOT summary...

https://en.wikipedia...nd_of_the_World

:blink: :lol:

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#4 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,343 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Phyllis Diller was a first rate musician and that is setting a high bar;

Between 1971 and 1981, Diller appeared as a piano soloist with symphony orchestras across the country under the stage name Dame Illya Dillya. Her performances were spiced with humor, but she took the music seriously. A review of one of her concerts in The San Francisco Examiner called her "a fine concert pianist with a firm touch.

giphy.gif

#5 GordonCole

GordonCole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Between 1971 and 1981, Diller appeared as a piano soloist with symphony orchestras across the country under the stage name Dame Illya Dillya. Her performances were spiced with humor, but she took the music seriously. A review of one of her concerts in The San Francisco Examiner called her "a fine concert pianist with a firm touch.

She was definitely more entertaining than Victor Borge.

#6 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,427 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Yesterday, 01:26 PM

True ... but that's a pretty low bar.

#7 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,343 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted Yesterday, 12:42 PM

Better than Phyllis Diller naked.

you know whats funny? i glanced at that post and thought he said Phyllis Diller and let out a loud "DO HUH NOW?"

Speed reading never pays off, except in comedy.

#8 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,673 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:07 PM

Yikes! I now have a graphic mental image that won't go away.

Sophia Loren naked!!!

Having typed this in bold, I'll now see if this helps as a mental antidote.

#9 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted Yesterday, 11:49 AM

True ... but that's a pretty low bar.

I'm a big boy.

#10 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Yesterday, 11:33 AM

Sunday, July 23/24.

2 a.m.  Until the End of the World (1991).  This one was a miss for me.  I much prefer Wenders earlier road movies.

#11 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Yesterday, 11:31 AM

And Phyllis Davis naked.

Watch for the "bee" scene.

#12 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

Saturday, July 22nd/23rd--TCM Underground.  All times E.S.T.

2:45 a.m. "Terminal Island" (1973)--CA outlaws capital punishment.  Prisoners are now gotten rid of by dumping them on an island and letting them fight to survive.  With Tom Selleck in an early role.

And Phyllis Davis naked.

Watch for the "bee" scene.

Now if TCM would just show her in Sweet Sugar ...  that would make for a great double-feature.

Or is it quadruple-feature?

• film lover 293 likes this

I'm a big boy.

#13 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

Saturday, July 22

In Canada only ….

noon.  Death of a Scoundrel (1956).  Any George Sanders film with Scoundrel in the title is probably worth a look.

• mr6666 likes this

#14 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,343 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

Saturday, July 22nd/23rd--TCM Underground. All times E.S.T.

4:30 a.m. "House of Women" (1962)--Mexican (?) womens' prison film with Shirley Knight, Constance Ford, and Barbara Nichols. Jason Evers, star of "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" (1962) represents the male side.

wait wait wait wait wait wait...
was this the same year she got an Oscar nomination for SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH??!!!

ETA: Constance Ford is great though. I'm thinking if there's a role for a Diesel Dagger Prison Matron, it's GOT to be hers.

ETA: I did my own research. Actually Shirley Knight did this film between Oscar nominations, which she received a 1961 and 1962.

!

#15 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,711 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

Saturday, July 22nd/23rd--TCM Underground.  All times E.S.T.

2:45 a.m. "Terminal Island" (1973)--CA outlaws capital punishment.  Prisoners are now gotten rid of by dumping them on an island and letting them fight to survive.  With Tom Selleck in an early role.

4:30 a.m. "House of Women" (1962)--Mexican (?) womens' prison film with Shirley Knight, Constance Ford, and Barbara Nichols.  Jason Evers, star of "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" (1962) represents the male side.

• LawrenceA likes this

#16 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

Friday, July 21/22

4:30 a.m.  Fonda on Fonda (1992).  Jane on Henry, that is

5:30 a.m.  Private Screenings: Robert Osborne (2014).  Alec Baldwin interviews Robert.

#17 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,711 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:52 PM

Thursday, July 20th/21st; all times E.S.T.:

12:30 a.m. "Kismet" (1944)--I remember this one from the month TCM spotlighted the use of Technicolor in film.  Film is amusing Arabian Nights fluff that Ronald Colman and Marlene Dietrich carry.  When I saw it, TCM showed a breathtakingly beautiful print.

4:30 a.m. "My Life With Caroline" (1941)--Lightweight comedy with Colman and Anna Lee.

#18 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

Thursday, July 20

10 p.m.  The Prisoner Of Zenda (1937).  The entire cast are terrific in this classic Ronald Colman picture.

#19 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,427 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Wednesday, July 19

4 p.m.  Bed of Roses (1933).  This Joel McCrea, Constance Bennett comedy looks like it might be a good bet.

Thanks for the reminder.   Both McCrea and Bennett were good at comedy and should have good chemistry.   

It must be better than Joan Fontaine's autobiography,  No Bed of Roses.    :blink:

#20 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,711 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

Wednesday, July 19th--Joel McCrea PreCodes and Hitchcock.  All times E.S.T.:

9:30 p.m.  "Stage Fright" (1950)--This and "Under Capricorn" (1949) I've seen only twice--I've never seen a Good copy of SF--The first time I saw UC was on a Awful videotape that had noise running through it and drowning out the dialogue--2nd time I saw it was on TCM, on a very good print.  Am hoping SF will also be on a very good print.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users