We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

• Please log in to reply
4650 replies to this topic

#3761 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

Demetrius and the Gladiators is truly a guilty pleasure.  Jay Robinson is a hoot and don't forget Michael Rennie, Debra Paget and Ernest Borgnine who try to bring a wee bit of dignity to the proceedings.

Anne Bancroft also has a role,.during her early starlet days at 20th Century Fox, and looks quite beautiful, if not having too much to do.

#3762 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:02 AM

Saturday, September 19

Who else but TCM would have an Anton Walbrook evening?

8 p.m.  The Red Shoes (1948)

10:30 p.m.  The Soldier and the Lady (1937)

midnight.  I Accuse!  (1958).  He’s terrific in this one.

Now if they could only dig out a couple of his German films such as …

Salto Mortale (1931) by E.A. Dupont

Viktor and Viktoria (1933) by Reinhold Schunzel where Walbrook takes the James Garner part.

When I first read this post I thought that VKTOR AND VIKTORIA (1933) was airing.

#3763 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Sunday, September 20

1 a.m.  The Mysterious Lady (1928).  A Garbo that I have never seen!  Lovely.

2:45  The Marriage of Maria Braun (1979).  I’ve seen this Fassbinder film a few times.  Hanna Schygulla is terrific in it.

#3764 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

Saturday, September 19

Who else but TCM would have an Anton Walbrook evening?

8 p.m.  The Red Shoes (1948)

10:30 p.m.  The Soldier and the Lady (1937)

midnight.  I Accuse!  (1958).  He’s terrific in this one.

Now if they could only dig out a couple of his German films such as …

Salto Mortale (1931) by E.A. Dupont

Viktor and Viktoria (1933) by Reinhold Schunzel where Walbrook takes the James Garner part.

• mr6666 likes this

#3765 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:05 PM

Hopefully Alain Delon will one day be given a day during Summer Under The Stars.

That would be pretty amazing.  I suppose it would involve a few premieres.

#3766 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

Friday, September 18

8:15 a.m.  Canada gets a substitution for The Asphalt Jungle which is Once a Thief (1965) with Alain Delon and Ann Margret.  I’ll take it.

Hopefully Alain Delon will one day be given a day during Summer Under The Stars.

• cinemafan and Arturo like this

#3767 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

Friday, September 18

8:15 a.m.  Canada gets a substitution for The Asphalt Jungle which is Once a Thief (1965) with Alain Delon and Ann Margret.  I’ll take it.

noon.  The Bastard.  Which is it?  The Swedish Eva Dahlbeck film or the Rita Hayworth caper film, Buy the Cats?   My money is on the latter.

The Andrew Sisters are tops in …

9:45 p.m. Buck Privates (1941) and 

11:15 p.m.  In the Navy (1941)

#3768 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

[...]So, having decided I'm probably not a fan, I'm only going to watch Alphaville as an Akim Tamiroff fan (though I bet they dubbed his awesome voice.)[...]

Okay, so I wasn't converted by Alphaville. Something about these Godard films- with their continuous ultra-hip, largely nonsensical exchanges between the leads- causes my attention to drift. Although it did have it's moments; Akim Tamiroff's part was brief, but entertaining, and it looked like he wasn't even dubbed! I enjoyed the noir-spoofing; tense music cues for nothing, sudden spurts of crazy violence, and whatnot. Yeah, I almost liked it, but... I must not be hip enough.

• mr6666 likes this

#3769 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

8 p.m.  Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954) with the one and only, Victor Mature!  A guilty pleasure.  Jay Robinson reprises his carpet-chewing role as Caligula.  Great fun.

Demetrius and the Gladiators is truly a guilty pleasure.  Jay Robinson is a hoot and don't forget Michael Rennie, Debra Paget and Ernest Borgnine who try to bring a wee bit of dignity to the proceedings.

• mr6666, Arturo and film lover 293 like this

#3770 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,791 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

Thursday, September 17

11 a.m.  Nightfall (1957).  A Jacques Tourneur film that I haven’t seen.  With Anne Bancroft and Aldo Ray.

8 p.m.  Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954) with the one and only, Victor Mature!  A guilty pleasure.  Jay Robinson reprises his carpet-chewing role as Caligula.  Great fun.

Great double bill.  Someone was having some fun …

10 p.m. The Conqueror (1956) with John Wayne as Genghis Khan.  The fallout from this one is legendary.

4:30 a.m.  Top Secret Affair (1957) A Susan Hayward, Kirk Douglas that I have never seen.

Nightfall is a nice noir film.   Aldo Ray is good as a decent guy in the wrong place at the wrong time and Ann Bancroft is always nice to look at.    

#3771 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

Thursday, September 17

11 a.m.  Nightfall (1957).  A Jacques Tourneur film that I haven’t seen.  With Anne Bancroft and Aldo Ray.

Great double bill.  Someone was having some fun …

10 p.m. The Conqueror (1956) with John Wayne as Genghis Khan.  The fallout from this one is legendary.

4:30 a.m.  Top Secret Affair (1957) A Susan Hayward, Kirk Douglas that I have never seen.

• mr6666 likes this

#3772 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

Any recommendations for tonight's Godard films???

I've only seen Breathless and Band of Outsiders by this director, but neither grabbed me. So, having decided I'm probably not a fan, I'm only going to watch Alphaville as an Akim Tamiroff fan (though I bet they dubbed his awesome voice.) It sounds most interesting to me- it also has Howard Vernon in it (of Silence of the Sea and Awful Dr. Orlof fame) who I've liked in what little I've seen him in.

This clearly isn't a recommendation, just a random comment for it's own sake. Have fun deciding.

• mr6666 likes this

#3773 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

(Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...odard-9-16.html

Personally I would go for Breathless and A Woman Is a Woman.  I was a titch disappointed when I saw Pierrot Le Fou and I have yet to see Masculin-Feminin.  

• mr6666 likes this

#3774 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,886 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

(Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...odard-9-16.html

:huh:

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#3775 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:22 PM

Wed., Sept. 16th--All times E.S.T.:

9:15 a.m.--"Next Time I Marry"--(1938)--Lucille Ball programmer, sounds like forerunner of The Long, Long, Trailer (1954)--is just over an hour--the beginning of her "Lucy Ricardo" persona?

2:15 p.m.--"Phffft!"--(1954)--Judy Holliday & Jack Lemmon & Kim Novak in a comedy about divorce.

#3776 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:39 PM

Just caught a few minutes of John Ford's The Long Voyage Home (1940) while recording it.  I think it is arguably Ward Bond's and Thomas Mitchell's finest film performances.  A rare lead role for Mitchell.

And Ian Hunter is a standout too.

• lydecker and LiamCasey like this

#3777 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

Wednesday, Sept 16

I would have liked to record a couple of the Godard films tomorrow but they are not playing in Canada.  [What, they can’t afford to play a Godard film in Canada?  We’re not talking the South Park movie here.]

Arturo may not want to know this but two Mexican movies have been substituted in Canada ...

2:15 a.m.  Los Que Volvieron (1947)

and

4 a.m.  Hermosa Ideal (1948)

#3778 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

Tuesday, September 15

6:15 p.m.  Agatha (1979) with Vanessa Redgrave was pretty good as I recall.

8 p.m.  The Long Voyage Home (1940)  John Ford does Eugene O’Neil.   A good vehicle for Thomas Mitchell.  I’ve only got a BBC copy which had a lousy print.

10 p.m.  The Battle of Midway (1942).  Oscar winning short subject by John Ford.  Amazing colour footage if I have the right film.

11:45 p.m.  December 7th (1943).  Directed by Gregg Toland.  Never seen this one.

#3779 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,791 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

Monday, September 14

7:45 a.m.  My Love Come Back (1940).  I haven’t seen this Olivia de Havilland film.

2:45 p.m.  The Strawberry Blonde (1941).  A favourite of a lot of people.

An evening of Sidney Lumet.  At some point I hope TCM can dig up a print of A View From the Bridge (1962) with Maureen Stapleton and Raf Vallone.

12:30 a.m.  The Verdict (1982).  One of my very favourite Paul Newman films.  And James Mason and Milo O’Shea are great in it too!

The scene where Newman retreats to the bathroom because he cannot breath due to a panic attack is brilliant.

and two lesser seen Lumet’s that I have not seen …

2:45 a.m.  Just Tell Me What You Want (1980)

4:45  Bye Bye Braverman (1968)

The book The Films of Olivia DeHavilland says about My Love Come Back;  My love come back to what???    Olivia comes back after her fantastic performance in Gone With the Wind and Jack Warner puts her into this so-so production.    While she had the leading role it wasn't close to being on par with the type of material Jack was giving Bette Davis.  

Eddie Albert does help the film have some fine moments  (but hey,  he was known for that).

• film lover 293 likes this

#3780 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

Monday, September 14

7:45 a.m.  My Love Come Back (1940).  I haven’t seen this Olivia de Havilland film.

2:45 p.m.  The Strawberry Blonde (1941).  A favourite of a lot of people.

An evening of Sidney Lumet.  At some point I hope TCM can dig up a print of A View From the Bridge (1962) with Maureen Stapleton and Raf Vallone.

12:30 a.m.  The Verdict (1982).  One of my very favourite Paul Newman films.  And James Mason and Milo O’Shea are great in it too!

The scene where Newman retreats to the bathroom because he cannot breath due to a panic attack is brilliant.

and two lesser seen Lumet’s that I have not seen …

2:45 a.m.  Just Tell Me What You Want (1980)

4:45  Bye Bye Braverman (1968)

• film lover 293 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users