We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

• Please log in to reply
4282 replies to this topic

#3761 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

Wednesday, July 15

6:15 p.m.  His Brother’s Wife (1936).  Another Barbara Stanwyck film that I haven’t seen.

2:15 a.m.  Wanda (1970).  One of the highlights of July for me.  I was out of the country the last time TCM showed this Barbara Loden film so I’m pleased it is running again.  No power or cable foul-ups please!

• film lover 293 likes this

#3762 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

9:45 a.m.  The Bad Sleep Well (1960).  Recommended for those who haven’t seen this Kurosawa film.

Please put this on demand, TCM! Cut me some slack, we don't all have DVRs. What a tease!

(Edit: The begging didn't work. Was worth a shot, anyhow.)

#3763 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,179 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

Tuesday, July 14

a TCM Ape-fest.  Lots to choose from here.

9:30 p.m.  The Purchase Price (1932).  A pre-code Barbara Stanwyck film that I have not yet seen.

3 a.m.  Zandy’s Bride (1974).  Never seen this Gene Hackman, Liv Ullman film either.

As many here might remember, I'm not a big Stanwyck fan, though I know she is Queen of this Board. I do like many of her films. But she does have (as I recall) a great line at the end of The Purchase Price -- "Look, they're burning our wheat."

#3764 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

Tuesday, July 14

a TCM Ape-fest.  Lots to choose from here.

9:30 p.m.  The Purchase Price (1932).  A pre-code Barbara Stanwyck film that I have not yet seen.

3 a.m.  Zandy’s Bride (1974).  Never seen this Gene Hackman, Liv Ullman film either.

#3765 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,344 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

re: "12:30 p.m.  Scandal (1950).  This is an early Kurosawa/Toshiro Mifune that I have not yet seen.  Kudos to TCM for programming these films!"

-just how popular are Christmas traditions in Japan??

got the feeling of Capra's "....Wonderful Life" here....

or was THAT the intention? :unsure:

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#3766 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

Kanal is a second film of a trilogy. I can't say with accuracy that the film can stand alone. You might take a look at the Wikepedia entry for "Kanal" for further information.

The stories in Wajda's WWII trilogy are not related so therefor can stand alone.

• mr6666 and film lover 293 like this

#3767 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:18 AM

Kanal is a second film of a trilogy. I can't say with accuracy that the film can stand alone. You might take a look at the Wikepedia entry for "Kanal" for further information.

#3768 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

for insomniacs/early risers:  All times E.S.T.

4:15 Monday morning--"Kanal" (1957)--directed by Andrzej Wajda--recently had this directors' films recommended to me, so am listing it--is supposed to be intense.

6:00 a.m.--"The Mikado"--(1939)--Gilbert & Sullivan I haven't seen for too long--lead isn't ideal casting, but Kenny Baker has a beautiful tenor that makes up for that, IMHO.

And, because John Ford is supposed to have cut through all the syrup surrounding her:

9:45 p.m.--"Wee Willie Winkie" (1937)--Shirley Acts! in this John Ford film.  Temple rated WWW the best of her childhood films, according to "Print the Legend; a Biography of John Ford"  (page 183, HB edition).

#3769 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Monday, July 13

6 a.m.  The Mikado (1939).  Never seen this colour Gilbert & Sullivan film.

9:45 a.m.  The Bad Sleep Well (1960).  Recommended for those who haven’t seen this Kurosawa film.

12:30 p.m.  Scandal (1950).  This is an early Kurosawa/Toshiro Mifune that I have not yet seen.  Kudos to TCM for programming these films!

8 p.m.  Stowaway (1936).  Never seen this Shirley Dimple film.

11:45 p.m.  Heidi (1937).  I liked this when I was younger so I’ll be recording it.

1:30 a.m.  Little Miss Broadway (1938).  I can’t say I recall ever seeing this one.

• mr6666 likes this

#3770 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,344 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

Sun., 7-12                             Silent Sundays....

(times EST)

12:00 AM
B/W
56 min
TV-G
silent

In this silent film, a young coward thinks a magical charm can make him a hero.

DirFred Newmeyer CastHarold Lloyd , Mildred Davis , Anna Townsend .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Fred Newmeyer. Harold Lloyd, Mildred Davis, Anna Townsend, Charles Stevenson, Noah Young, Dick Sutherland.

"Lloyd's first great success casts him as a mousy small-town type inspired to fight for his girl--and his honor--by his grandma's tales of family heritage. Still entertaining."

1:15 AM
B/W
58 min
TV-G
silent

In this silent film, a millionaire tries to help save souls after he falls for a young mission-worker.

DirSam Taylor CastHarold Lloyd , Jobyna Ralston , Noah Young .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Sam Taylor. Harold Lloyd, Jobyna Ralston, Noah Young, James Mason, Paul Weigel. "Screamingly funny silent comedy has Lloyd a blase young millionaire whose crush on Ralston inspires him to help attract ``customers'' for her father's Bowery Mission. Even THE FRENCH CONNECTION hasn't dimmed the luster of Lloyd's chase climax on L.A. streets."

• Bogie56 likes this

#3771 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,344 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

late Sun., 7-12

(times EST)

2:30 AM
B/W
91 min
TV-MA
drama

A twelve-year old Russian boy spies on the Germans during World War II.

DirAndrey Tarkovskiy CastKolya Burlyayev , Valentin Zubkov , Ye. Zharikov .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...d/articles.html

"Nikolai Burlyayev gives a remarkable performance, his expressive features allowing him to appear as a hungry, wide-eyed waif one moment and as a confident, expert assassin in the next. Equally unique is Andrei Tarkovsky's direction, which resembles a stream of consciousness narrative, blending realistic action sequences with the visions, dreams, and memories of the title character."

4:15 AM
B/W
97 min
TV-PG
war
Kanal (1957)

World War II Resistance fighters under siege attempt a desperate escape through the sewers.

DirAndrzej Wajda CastTeresa Izewska , Tadeusz Janczar , Wienczyslaw Glinski .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Andrzej Wajda. Teresa Izewska, Tadeusz Janczar, Wienczylaw Glinski, Wladyslaw (Vladek) Sheybal.

"Intense, almost unrelentingly graphic account of the final days of the September, 1944, Warsaw uprising in Nazi-occupied Poland. This is the second of Wajda's war trilogy, after A GENERATION and before ASHES AND DIAMONDS. Aka THEY LOVED LIFE. Not shown in U.S. until 1961."

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...l/articles.html

#3772 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

A couple of films by Akira Kurosawa coming on tomorrow, The Bad Sleep Well (1960), and Scandal (1950). I'd like to see them both, but probably won't be able to catch either. Heads up, nonetheless. Afterward it's going to be pretty hard-going for the rest of the day. Typically upside-down programming from TCM.

P.S, Also looking forward to the Imports tonight, Ivan's Childhood (1961) and esp. Kanal (1957). Both on todays schedule, but technically on tomorrow due to more backwards programming.

• mr6666 likes this

#3773 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,344 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

BAYOU does not even have a Wikipedia entry, but can anyone tell me: was it also known/ released as POOR WHITE TRASH?

(no, I'm not kidding.)

BEST part was Tim Carey's uhh dancing.... :blink:

hqdefault.jpg

#3774 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,179 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

(I keep a copy on the back of my toilet.) 

TMI

#3775 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

thanks to everybody for the info. Damn sorry I missed it.

it has a very lengthy entry in THE PSYCOTRONIC VIDEO GUIDE- which I highly recommend. (I keep a copy on the back of my toilet.) according to author Daniel J Weldon, POOR WHITE TRASH played in drive-ins well into the 1970s and ended up grossing 10 million dollars (!) he also has a lengthy entry on POOR WHITE TRASH 2.

#3776 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:00 AM

There was also an S.F. Brownrigg movie from 1973 that was originally titled "SCUM OF THE EARTH", but was later re-titled with the notion of attracting more business.  The new title?  'POOR WHITE TRASH 2'.  That's also the video title I have it under on Magnum Entertainment.  I believe it did better business at the box office under its "Poor White Trash 2" title than under it's original. 

Stars Camilla Carr, Gene Ross, Norma Moore, Ann Stafford, Charlie Dell.   

I do believe Sherald Brownrigg (1937-1996) directed 5 movies, 4 of them low-budget 1970s horror offerings that were slowly-paced.

#3777 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,344 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:04 PM

BAYOU does not even have a Wikipedia entry, but can anyone tell me: was it also known/ released as POOR WHITE TRASH?

(no, I'm not kidding.)

Yes, according to TCM Article:http://www.tcm.com/t...u/articles.html

#3778 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:50 PM

I used the TCM search engine--Dam Good Memory you have--yes it was-under PWT title, it's listed as playing later tonight, with Lita Milan & Peter Graves. :)

#3779 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:30 PM

mr6666 has just listed Bayou, which is on at 2.a.m. in the TCM Premieres thread.

Looks like Baby Doll in swamp country and as he points out it has Timothy Carey in it.d.

(no, I'm not kidding.)
  • mr6666 likes this

#3780 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Sunday, July 12

10 p.m.  A Boy and His Dog (1946).  An Oscar winning short subject starring Harry Davenport.  Not sure if the 10 o’clock start will be accurate.

midnight.  Grandma’s Boy (1922) and …

1:15 a.m.  For Heaven’s Sake (1926).  Two good Harold Lloyd films that are worth recording.

2:30 a.m.  Ivan’s Childhood (1962).  If anyone has not yet seen this Tarkovsky film I would highly recommend it.  It is a lot more accessible than some of his later films and has a great juvenile performance from Nikolia Burlyayev.

• classicsuz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users