We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

• Please log in to reply
3893 replies to this topic

#3761 manderstoke

manderstoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Locationtampa, fl.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

It's official - Dargo has lost it.  Mason lacked physicality?!!!  Puleese.  The man exuded dangerous sexuality and, indeed, that was his trademark.  It's true that he toned it down when he went to Hollywood (more's the pity).  His acting was nuanced and subtle, and didn't fit  the expectations of American audiences.  Europeans got it.

No one, except Grant, could steal scenes like Mason.  Wrong again Dargo.

#3762 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

Tuesday, May 19

At 3:45 p.m. TCM is showing Blake Edwards’ Days of Wine and Roses (1962).

HoldenIsHere was just talking about this film in the ‘Performances that Surprised You’ thread.

At midnight is one of Art Carney’s better screen efforts, The Late Show (1977) in which he plays a gumshoe.

It features a fine performance by Bill Macy who I believe is 93 tomorrow on the 18th.  Happy birthday, Bill.

I see at 11:50 p.m. they have a ‘making of’ short on International Velvet.  Its star, Tantrum O’Neal made a film in Canada a few years later called, Circle of Two (1981).  I was told that she got the nickname Tantrum on set, partially because of her habit of dropping whatever prop was in her hands as soon as the director yelled ‘cut.’  Piece of china, whatever.  It must have been torture for those seasoned pros Jules Dassin and Richard Burton

#3763 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:49 AM

TOWER OF LONDON is hardly ever on and it is excellent.  Highly recommended for horror fans.  Basil and Boris are great plus Vincent Price, too.  Don't miss this one!

#3764 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

The Late Show (1977)

Tuesday at midnight. Art Carney and Lily Tomlin.

Love those 70's offerings. Keep 'em coming, TCM.

• mockingbird66 likes this

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#3765 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

Mon., 5-18

10:15 PM
B/W
93 min
TV-PG
horror

An ambitious duke uses his executioner henchman to kill his way to the crown.

Dir: Rowland V. Lee Cast:  Basil Rathbone , Boris Karloff , Barbara O'Neil .

-- fun version of dark story. Basil & Boris delightfully evil :D

So Mr.6. Am I confused here or did I just hear recently that they just found Basil Rathbone's bones under some parking lot over there somewhere???

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

• mr6666 likes this

#3766 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

Tuesday, May 19

6 a.m.  Jesse Ventura’s Conspiracy Theory followed by Gunsmoke.  Oops, I’m looking at the UK TCM schedule again.

Interesting though.  They seem to have a day of road movies which kicks off with John Ford’s Stagecoach (1939)

:) 

• mr6666 likes this

#3767 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:43 PM

A couple of years ago I was speaking to the manager of a Toronto DVD store. He had a considerable number of people visiting his establishment and once told me that he had received a visit from one individual who claimed to know the person who had the Canadian rights to the Roach material. He said that, of all things, it was owned by a priest (!!!).

I asked the store manager if he could possibly get more precise information about the copy write owner if that person returned to his store again. He never did get it, nor was I really certain if he was talking about DVD sales rights or television broadcast rights.

A Priest?  What is the guy laying on a bed of nails somewhere in the frozen North watching all the L&H silents over and over and over and over again?

"Tell TCM to go away.  No earthly sum can possibly sway me."

#3768 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:38 PM

These rights issues can really be maddening. Assuming that someone does own Canadian  rights to some of these films why don't they capitalize on that and make some easy money, I sure would.  Do they have some ridiculous idea of what the values are and demand so much that no one is willing to pay the fee?  By  being too greedy they end up with nothing.  If by chance no one is sure who owns the rights  consider the films to be in a public domain status, and then if someone does come forward with legal proof of having ownership a fee can be negotiated. If the owner demands some ridiculous sum then take it to court and let a judge decide on a fair equitable settlement.

Yes.  It is money for old rope.  I'd take whatever for a film that is 90 years old.

#3769 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,178 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:17 PM

These rights issues can really be maddening. Assuming that someone does own Canadian  rights to some of these films why don't they capitalize on that and make some easy money, I sure would.  Do they have some ridiculous idea of what the values are and demand so much that no one is willing to pay the fee?  By  being too greedy they end up with nothing.  If by chance no one is sure who owns the rights  consider the films to be in a public domain status, and then if someone does come forward with legal proof of having ownership a fee can be negotiated. If the owner demands some ridiculous sum then take it to court and let a judge decide on a fair equitable settlement.

A couple of years ago I was speaking to the manager of a Toronto DVD store. He had a considerable number of people visiting his establishment and once told me that he had received a visit from one individual who claimed to know the person who had the Canadian rights to the Roach material. He said that, of all things, it was owned by a priest (!!!).

I asked the store manager if he could possibly get more precise information about the copy write owner if that person returned to his store again. He never did get it, nor was I really certain if he was talking about DVD sales rights or television broadcast rights.

#3770 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

I believe there's a problem with tracking down the Canadian rights holder to the Hal Roach material.

#3771 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

Mon., 5-18

10:15 PM
B/W
93 min
TV-PG
horror

An ambitious duke uses his executioner henchman to kill his way to the crown.

DirRowland V. Lee CastBasil Rathbone , Boris Karloff , Barbara O'Neil .

-- fun version of dark story. Basil & Boris delightfully evil :D

4:00 AM
B/W
111 min
TV-PG
drama
Saint Joan (1957)

A French peasant girl follows the advice of angels to lead her country against British invaders.

DirOtto Preminger CastJean Seberg, Richard Widmark , Richard Todd , Anton Walbrook .

-- wonderfully literate (Graham Greene script) & great performances by Jean Seberg & Widmark

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#3772 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

Holden, have you seen My Own Private Idaho ? It's very roughly based on Henry IV pt ll.

There's a scene that seems  like it's lifted straight out of the Shakespeare play. It's heartbreaking.

Yes, misswonderly, I have seen Gus Van Sant's MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO and I love that movie.

The movie includes a brilliant performance by the late River Phoenix.  His emotional honesty in the movie is astounding.

The Bob Pigeon character in MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO is clearly modeled on Falstaff and Scott (played by Keanu Reeves) is the Prince Hal character.

#3773 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

I'm among those that probably haven't seen all the Stanwyck and Arthur films.  I think the Arthur films are part of a Frank Capra salute.  I'm recording Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, You Can't Take it With You and Meet John Doe (although I've read mixed reviews about it here).  I think there was a Stanwyck pre-code on that morning that I just remembered, I'll have to make sure to set that one up to record.  The pre-code Stanwyck is a very interesting contrast to the production code Stanwyck. 

I love Barbara Stanwyck so I don't mind that her films are shown often. I'm also liking Jean Arthur more and more with every film of hers TCM shows, so I'm all for this schedule. 

Of course you are absolutely right.  These are all wonderful films and I would be recording each and every one of them if I hadn't already done so.

#3774 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

Monday, May 18

Dames, Dames, Dames.  Time to catch up on Barbara Stanwyck, Jean Arthur classics.

I bet most of us on these boards have seen just about all of these films.  Have they ALL been on fairly recently?

TCM certainly has been trotting out a lot of Stanwyck in the past three years.  

The only film that I personally have not seen on this day is the WWII desert documentary, Tunisian Victory (1944) at 4:15 p.m. with Lt. Col. Leo Genn no less.  

I wonder how it stacks up to the Oscar winning British documentary made the year before, Desert Victory (1943).

In fact it wouldn’t surprise me if bits of Desert Victory actually showed up in Tunisian Victory.  That happened throughout the war.  Sharing (or nicking) film material.

In fact, a lot of the “enemy” materials are actually done with captured war footage.

I'm among those that probably haven't seen all the Stanwyck and Arthur films.  I think the Arthur films are part of a Frank Capra salute.  I'm recording Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, You Can't Take it With You and Meet John Doe (although I've read mixed reviews about it here).  I think there was a Stanwyck pre-code on that morning that I just remembered, I'll have to make sure to set that one up to record.  The pre-code Stanwyck is a very interesting contrast to the production code Stanwyck. 

I love Barbara Stanwyck so I don't mind that her films are shown often. I'm also liking Jean Arthur more and more with every film of hers TCM shows, so I'm all for this schedule. 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#3775 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

Monday, May 18

Dames, Dames, Dames.  Time to catch up on Barbara Stanwyck, Jean Arthur classics.

I bet most of us on these boards have seen just about all of these films.  Have they ALL been on fairly recently?

TCM certainly has been trotting out a lot of Stanwyck in the past three years.  

The only film that I personally have not seen on this day is the WWII desert documentary, Tunisian Victory (1944) at 4:15 p.m. with Lt. Col. Leo Genn no less.  

I wonder how it stacks up to the Oscar winning British documentary made the year before, Desert Victory (1943).

In fact it wouldn’t surprise me if bits of Desert Victory actually showed up in Tunisian Victory.  That happened throughout the war.  Sharing (or nicking) film material.

In fact, a lot of the “enemy” materials are actually done with captured war footage.

#3776 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

I believe there's a problem with tracking down the Canadian rights holder to the Hal Roach material.

Is he in some Hollywood seniors flop house face down on the floor unable to answer his phone?

#3777 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,178 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

I can't imagine what the Canadian rights to those L&H short subjects would cost.  Price of a cup of coffee?

#3778 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

You Americans are so lucky that you can see this stuff. I'm a Canadian, so for some reason I must suffer without. (That's why I bought the Laurel and Hardy Essentials Collection, so I can get my Stan and Ollie fix once in a while). I love these guys.

I can't imagine what the Canadian rights to those L&H short subjects would cost.  Price of a cup of coffee?

#3779 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,178 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

Sunday night/ Monday morning TCM is showing 4 shorts by the great Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. Must see tv !

You Americans are so lucky that you can see this stuff. I'm a Canadian, so for some reason I must suffer without. (That's why I bought the Laurel and Hardy Essentials Collection, so I can get my Stan and Ollie fix once in a while). I love these guys.

#3780 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:10 AM

Sunday, May 17

The day kick’s off with Grand Hotel (1932) at 6 a.m.  

There has been a lot of discussion about ‘duelling’ Barrymores of late so this might be of interest to some as it has two very good performances by John and Lionel.

I like Joan and Greta in this one too.

The Blue Angel (1930) is on at 10:15. p.m. This von Sternberg has two iconic performances in it: one by Marlene Dietrich and the other by Emil Jannings.  But which version will TCM be showing?

And as  Mr Roberts so adeptly pointed out there is a mini-fest of Oliver & Hardy shorts starting in the a.m.  But, unfortunately for Canadian viewers and due to budgetary cutbacks, TCM could not afford the 25 cents for these Great White North rights so instead they are showing Buster Keaton's Spite Marriage.

And I’m sorry I am going to miss Here’s Your Life (1966) by Jan Troell which stars Eddie Axberg.  Some may recall that Axberg starred along with Liv Ullman and Max von Sydow in Troell’s later, The Emigrants and The New Land.  

Axberg is the only person that I know of to be credited both as a major star in a feature while also doing the sound editing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users