We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

• Please log in to reply
4650 replies to this topic

#41 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

Sunday night, i think this is a premiere, the other Stanwyck/Sirk collaboration (not the one she did with MacMurray), sounds interesting:

8:00 PM
B/W - 80 m

TV-G

romance

Synopsis: A stage star returns to the small-town family she deserted.
DirDouglas Sirk CastBarbara Stanwyck , Richard Carlson , Lyle Bettger .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

D: Douglas Sirk. Barbara Stanwyck, Richard Carlson, Lyle Bettger, Lori Nelson, Maureen O'Sullivan. Family togetherness and hometown approval is answer to title, in period-piece uplifted by Stanwyck's valiant performance as erring mother of three who returns to her husband.

• mr6666 and Bogie56 like this

#42 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,902 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:48 AM

Friday, August 11th/12th--Ginger Rogers day.

Ginger made very few stinkers, I'd say any of her movies are worth watching.

I'm recording DREAMBOAT since it's a premiere. After reading the synopsis, I recall seeing this once before. Maybe my film group screened it or I saw it at a film festival?

In any case, I recall it was a crowd pleaser- Clifton Webb always gets an audience howling with laughter.

• Bogie56 and film lover 293 like this

#43 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

DREAMBOAT does sound cool. Is it a premiere?

Yes, it is a premiere.

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#44 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

DREAMBOAT does sound cool. Is it a premiere?

#45 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

Friday, August 11

Ginger Rogers day.

midnight.  Dreamboat (1952).  Clifton Webb as an ex-silent star heartthrob.  Agreed, it sounds promising.

• film lover 293 likes this

#46 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,810 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

Friday, August 11th/12th--Ginger Rogers day.  Two sorts, two films; all times E.S.T.:

12:00 a.m. "Dreamboat" (1952)--Rogers and Clifton Webb are ex-silent screen stars.  Have not seen this one, but am looking forward to it, especially the silent screen parodies.

Haven't seen this one in about 30 years, but I recall it being a lot of fun.

• film lover 293 likes this

I'm a big boy.

#47 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

Friday, August 11th/12th--Ginger Rogers day.  Two short films, two films; all times E.S.T.:

6:04 p.m. "How to Raise a Baby" (1938)--Robert Benchley short.

7:51 p.m. "How to Sub-Let" (1939)--Benchley takes on sub-letting an apartment.

12:00 a.m. "Dreamboat" (1952)--Rogers and Clifton Webb are ex-silent screen stars.  Have not seen this one, but am looking forward to it, especially the silent screen parodies.

1:45 a.m. "Tight Spot" (1955)--Rogers is an ex-gangster's moll in this thriller from Phil Karlson.

#48 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

LUMET did three of my absolute favorite films of the decade/ever one right after the other- boom, boom, boom- MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS then DOG DAY AFTERNOON then NETWORK.

ANYONE would give the whole rest of their career to have three in a row like that; and the annals of filmdom don't lack for stars that burned bright but brief.

(i think the process exhausted him.)

I agree on Dog Day Afternoon and Network. Two of my favorite films of the decade. Murder on the Orient Express I enjoyed but not to that level. Other Lumet highlights for me include 12 Angry Men (one helluva a feature debut), The PawnbrokerFail SafeThe HillThe OffenceSerpicoThe Verdict, and his final movie, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

• kingrat, ChristineHoard and film lover 293 like this

#49 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:05 AM

You're right on Lumet. When he was on, he was one of the best, but he was off quite often, enough, to my mind, to keep him from the top ranks of directors. But I still tried to see it if his name was on it.

LUMET did three of my absolute favorite films of the decade/ever one right after the other- boom, boom, boom- MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS then DOG DAY AFTERNOON then NETWORK.

ANYONE would give the whole rest of their career to have three in a row like that; and the annals of filmdom don't lack for stars that burned bright but brief.

(i think the process exhausted him.)

#50 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for the heads up, LHF.

The role played by Dean Stockwell in the movie at one point was going to be played by Brandon deWilde.

hmmm...seeing the trailer, i find it hard to envision Brandon in this part; Stockwell is giving me a kind of Zandor Vorkov (sp?) vibe here:

#51 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

if your DVR works:

Synopsis: A demonic priest uses a young innocent to help him bring banished elder gods back to Earth.
DirDaniel Haller CastSandra Dee , Dean Stockwell , Ed Begley .

is coming on at 4;00 in the morning.

Thanks for the heads up, LHF.

The role played by Dean Stockwell in the movie at one point was going to be played by Brandon deWilde.

#52 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

Tuesday, August 8

Franchot Tone day

1:45 p.m.  Uncle Vanya (1957)  Co-directed by Tone as well.

8 p.m.  The King Steps Out (1936).  Directed by Josef von Sternberg.

I wasn't aware of a Vanya from that year. I can't get TCM right now, did anyone see this and have a comment or two? Curious. Thanks.

Should I repair to the Just Watched thread?

#53 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

Incidentally, for Redgrave day, I consider The Sea Gull surprisingly meh, given the first-rate cast. "Pedestrian" might be a kind description for Lumet's direction. Lumet is the most maddeningly inconsistent director I know.

You're right on Lumet. When he was on, he was one of the best, but he was off quite often, enough, to my mind, to keep him from the top ranks of directors. But I still tried to see it if his name was on it.

#54 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

How about Something of Value? Is that a hit, a miss, or an "eh"?

Lawrence, I liked it better than Bogie did. Excellent story, first-rate performance by Sidney Poitier. Rock Hudson is obviously not the perfect choice to play an Englishman who has grown up in Kenya. If you're a Poitier fan, it's worth trying.

But a truly great movie on Poitier day is Cry, the Beloved Country, which I liked even better the second time around. Superb script, equally good direction by Zoltan Korda, strong acting all around. Poitier is fine in a secondary role, but Canada Lee, who died much too young, has the central role.

Incidentally, for Redgrave day, I consider The Sea Gull surprisingly meh, given the first-rate cast. "Pedestrian" might be a kind description for Lumet's direction. Lumet is the most maddeningly inconsistent director I know.

• mr6666, LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#55 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

Yes, I had to look up the info on it. (Young Catherine).

#56 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

Some interesting (and rarely shown) films on Vanessa Redgrave day (think it's Sunday). Young Catherine (a film I've never heard of, does Vanessa play a supporting role?); The Sea Gull (based on Chekhov's play) and Orpheus Descending (I never realized they filmed her stage success in that). Plus her Oscar nominated turn in Morgan!.

Young Catherine is a cable TV movie/mini-series (it was originally shown in two parts on TNT). Redgrave plays Empress Elizabeth of Russia. Catherine is played by Julia Ormond, and the supporting cast includes Christopher Plummer, Franco Nero, Marthe Keller, and Maximilian Schell.

The Sea Gull is directed by Sidney Lumet, and the excellent supporting cast includes Simone Signoret, James Mason, Harry Andrews, Denholm Elliott, and Vanessa's Morgan! co-star, David Warner.

#57 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

Some interesting (and rarely shown) films on Vanessa Redgrave day (think it's Sunday). Young Catherine (a film I've never heard of, does Vanessa play a supporting role?); The Sea Gull (based on Chekhov's play) and Orpheus Descending (I never realized they filmed her stage success in that). Plus her Oscar nominated turn in Morgan!.

No, actually, its Monday. I just checked.

• LawrenceA likes this

#58 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

Well it has all of the ingredients.  Director and cast.  Perhaps then my expectations were way too high.  I recall it being a major disappointment.  Quite stagey and a bit overwrought.  

Still as a film fan I would mark it down as a film to see.

• LawrenceA likes this

#59 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

#60 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

if your DVR works:

Synopsis: A demonic priest uses a young innocent to help him bring banished elder gods back to Earth.
DirDaniel Haller CastSandra Dee , Dean Stockwell , Ed Begley .

is coming on at 4;00 in the morning.

• mr6666, LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users