We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

• Please log in to reply
4282 replies to this topic

#41 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

Thursday, June 22nd/23rd--all times E.S.T.:

10:45 p.m. "Billy Liar" (1963)--The only one from the nights' lineup I haven't seen.

12:45 a.m. "Suddenly Last Summer" (1959)--The last one from the nights' lineup that hasn't been mentioned or isn't getting multiple showings in July.  Oh yeah, film is arguably the best of the night.

• LawrenceA likes this

#42 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,344 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

Wed., June 21st: Cult movies--all times E.S.T.:

10:00 p.m. "This Is Spinal Tap" (1984)--One of the best "mockumentaries".

11:45 p.m. "Freaks" (1932)--One of Tod Brownings' best films; still packs a punch after repeat viewings.

PLUS...

1:00 AM   Eating Raoul ( 1982)

A Los Angeles couple discover a bizarre way to fund their new restaurant.

Dir Paul Bartel Cast Mary Woronov , Paul Bartel , Robert Beltran .

C- 84 mins, CC,

2:45 AM   Withnail & I ( 1987)

Two unemployed actors escape the horrors of London for a drunken vacation.

Dir Bruce Robinson Cast Richard E. Grant , Paul Mcgann , Richard Griffiths .

C- 108 mins, CC,

4:45 AM Pink Floyd: The Wall ( 1982)

A rock star battles insanity.

Dir Alan Parker Cast Bob Geldof , Christine Hargreaves , James Laurenson .

C- 95 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

:D

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#43 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

Thursday, June 22

8:45 a.m.  If Winter Comes (1948).  Walter Pidgeon is usually pretty solid in everything he does.  Even crummy films.  So this is worth a shot.

10:30 a.m.  So Well Remembered.  With Johnny Mills.

8 p.m.  Gypsy (1962).  It might be time to finally give this one a shot.

• mr6666 and film lover 293 like this

#44 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

and this always irks me a little bit.

of the two, SUNRISE should be regarded the legit "Best Picture" winner- at the very least it deserves an asterisk.

I completely agree! It's a fantastic film, artistic or outstanding- should just be written as "best picture."

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#45 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

Wed., June 21st: Cult movies--all times E.S.T.:

10:00 p.m. "This Is Spinal Tap" (1984)--One of the best "mockumentaries".

11:45 p.m. "Freaks" (1932)--One of Tod Brownings' best films; still packs a punch after repeat viewings.

• mr6666, ChristineHoard and LawrenceA like this

#46 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

There were also two Best Picture categories that first year: "Outstanding Picture" which went to Wings, the one always listed as winning the first best picture Oscar; and "Unique and Artistic Picture", which went to Sunrise. That second category isn't often mentioned when Best Picture winners of the past are discussed.

and this always irks me a little bit.

of the two, SUNRISE should be regarded the legit "Best Picture" winner- at the very least it deserves an asterisk.

#47 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

Wednesday, June 21/22

“I mean to have you even if it must be burglary.”

2:45 a.m.  Withnail and I (1987).  A cult classic in Great Britain.  Richard Grifiths, OBE is fantastic as Uncle Monty.  

Withnail is not on in Canada.  It has been replaced by that other “cult classic” The Red Danube (1949)

#48 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

A recommendation for Thursday morning: So Well Remembered is a fine noir, set in England, starring John Mills as an ambitious young man of the people and Martha Scott as the rich man's daughter who intrigues him. Both stars are first-rate, as is the direction. Based on a novel by James Hilton (Lost Horizon, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Random Harvest).

• mr6666 likes this

#49 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,090 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

i don't have my copy of INSIDE OSCAR within immediate grasp, but I want to put on my SPROCKET MAN HAT and specify that it won the first and only Academy Award given in the specific category: comedy direction  that existed in that year and that year only.

You are correct. The Best Director, Dramatic Picture went to Frank Borzage for 7th Heaven.

There were also two Best Picture categories that first year: "Outstanding Picture" which went to Wings, the one always listed as winning the first best picture Oscar; and "Unique and Artistic Picture", which went to Sunrise. That second category isn't often mentioned when Best Picture winners of the past are discussed.

• LornaHansonForbes and film lover 293 like this

#50 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Tuesday, June 20th/21st; all times E.S.T.:

2:30 a.m. "Two Arabian Knights" (1927)--Won the first Academy Award for Best Director.

i don't have my copy of INSIDE OSCAR within immediate grasp, but I want to put on my SPROCKET MAN HAT and specify that it won the first and only Academy Award given in the specific category: comedy direction  that existed in that year and that year only.

• film lover 293 likes this

#51 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

2:30 a.m. "Two Arabian Knights" (1927)--Won the first Academy Award for Best Director.

I'd be curious to know what others think, but I watched it the last time it was on TCM and was underwhelmed.

The humour's pretty broad but at least it was a nice looking restoration from Flicker Alley the last time I saw it on the channel. You could still see some water damage at times but considering the fact it was considered to be a lost film until a print was discovered in Howard Hughes' collection we can't really complain too much. At least in regards to the ability to see the film and judge it for ourselves.

The Racket, of course, also to be shown tonight, was also considered lost until a few years ago.

#52 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

I'd be curious to know what others think, but I watched it the last time it was on TCM and was underwhelmed.

I was also underwhelmed.

#53 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,090 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

When I saw it, I wasn't expecting anything much, despite the Oscar win, and I ended up liking it well enough. It was also back before I'd seen a lot of silents, so my appreciation may be more tempered now.

#54 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

I'm a big boy.

#55 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

4:15 a.m. "The Silver Horde" (1930)--From the novel by Rex (The Spoilers) Beach.  Instead of having having a barroom brawl as the finale, this one has a catfight between Evelyn Brent's and Jean Arthur's characters as one of its' main attractions.

5:33 a.m. "Roseland" (1930)--Ruth Etting short film.

• LawrenceA likes this

#56 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

Tuesday, June 20

An evening with Louis Wolheim.  Who would have thought?

11:30 p.m.  Danger Lights (1931).   Leonard Maltin points out that it was shot in 70mm Natural Vision.  I wonder if TCM will be showing a copy in its original aspect ratio?

The Racket at 9:45pm.

One of the first gangster films, this silent has a magnetic performance from Louis Wolheim as a brash gang boss who bribes authorities, has a troublesome cop pursuing him sent out of town and thinks he can get away with anything (including shooting someone in a cop shop).

I think the best sequence in the film is when a rival gang of gangsters arrive at Wolheim's restaurant hangout, along with undercover cops.

The tragic Marie Prevost also appears in this film, this being pretty well her last leading role in movies before becoming a supporting player.

the-racket-71.jpg

Wolheim died of cancer in 1931 in preparation for a role in The Front Page, the part then taken by Adolphe Menjou (!!!).

• Bogie56, ChristineHoard and film lover 293 like this

#57 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Tuesday, June 20

It's about time TCM featured a former mathematics teacher!

I'm a big boy.

#58 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

Tuesday, June 20

11:30 p.m.  Danger Lights (1931).   Leonard Maltin points out that it was shot in 70mm Natural Vision.  I wonder if TCM will be showing a copy in its original aspect ratio?

#59 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

Here's  the "Reproduction" number from GREASE 2 that never fails to delight me, yesterday, today or tomorrow. 

It features Judy Garland's other daughter, Lorna Loft.

She's the blonde who has the lines:

Mr. Stuart, is it true that guys like you,

You know, mature and all

Carry some protection with them

For sexual occasions?

"Where does the pollen go?"

• speedracer5 likes this

#60 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

Monday, June 19/20

Ditto.  But this one is only on in America …

1:45 a.m.  The Secret People (1952).  With Valentina Cortese and Serge Reggiani.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users