We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

• Please log in to reply
3783 replies to this topic

#41 calvinnme

calvinnme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

Thursday, March 16

8 a.m.  Chasing Rainbows (1929).  With Bessie Love and Jack Benny.  Let’s see, if Jack was 39 in 1968 that would make him a newborn in this one.

The last time TCM showed this, they did it without the stills inserted that explained the missing Technicolor scenes. Without the stills to explain what is going on, the middle of the film is quite a muddle. Up to that point every time it was ever aired the stills were inserted.

• Bogie56 likes this

#42 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

Thursday, March 16

8 a.m.  Chasing Rainbows (1929).  With Bessie Love and Jack Benny.  Let’s see, if Jack was 39 in 1968 that would make him a newborn in this one.

8:15 p.m.  Follow Me, Boys!  (1966).  A Fred MacMurray Scout film that features Lillian Gish.

midnight.  The Incredible Journey (1963).  I loved this one when I was a kid.  Has tremendous Quebec scenery as did Big Red, the other Disney film shot around the same time.  Both feature Emile Genest.  And the animals don’t talk.

• mr6666 and film lover 293 like this

#43 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

Wednesday, March 15/16

3:30 a.m.  Les Maudits (1947).  Rene Clement film has Nazis fleeing Germany to South America in a submarine.  Sounds good.

I like this movie a lot. It's kind of like Sartre's No Exit played out on a submarine of Nazis trying to escape to South America. Don't miss the fabulous tracking shot that moves backward through the submarine. In the 40s and 50s Rene Clement was one of the world's top directors.

• LawrenceA likes this

#44 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,959 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

I figured to watch  13 West Street (1962)  early this morning.  I've never seen it so I'll give it a go.  As noted below this is 'Late-Career Ladd', though he was only 48 when it was released. Alan Ladd only made one more movie, The Carpetbaggers (1964).      

A trivial thought:  ALAN LADD and STEVE McQUEEN both played 'Nevada Smith' and both died at age 50. 

13 West Street was Ladd's last film as a leading man, and it's sad to see his physical decline. His alcoholism clearly shows itself in his bloated features, and he would be dead (possibly self inflicted) not long afterward.

Why does this sad sight make me somehow think of young Joey's plaintive cry?

"Shane, come back."

• calvinnme and Mr. Gorman like this

#45 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:01 AM

Wednesday, March 15/16

3:30 a.m.  Les Maudits (1947).  Rene Clement film has Nazis fleeing Germany to South America in a submarine.  Sounds good.

• mr6666, kingrat, LawrenceA and 1 other like this

#46 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

I figured to watch  13 West Street (1962)  early this morning.  I've never seen it so I'll give it a go.  As noted below this is 'Late-Career Ladd', though he was only 48 when it was released. Alan Ladd only made one more movie, The Carpetbaggers (1964).      

A trivial thought:  ALAN LADD and STEVE McQUEEN both played 'Nevada Smith' and both died at age 50. 

#47 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

KLUTE in PRIMETIME??? Wow. That's a first!!!

#48 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

Tuesday, March 14

8 p.m.  Klute (1971).  It might be interesting to see what Michael Connelly has to say about tonight’s films.

Maybe he'll speculate on just what happens to Fonda's cat.

#49 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

Tuesday, March 14

8 p.m.  Klute (1971).  It might be interesting to see what Michael Connelly has to say about tonight’s films.

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#50 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

Let No Man Write My Epitaph (1960).  With Burl Ives, Shelley Winters

I hope this is worth the blank DVD. I recorded it on a whim- I love Shelly Winters & Burl Ives both, let's hope they're OK together. 

See my post about it yesterday.  I thought Winters and Ives were OK in it, and Ella's appearance didn't hurt it either.  And Montalban was cast against his usual "type", so all in all I'd have to say while not "great" cinema, it doesn't really stink, and I still enjoy it.  But on too late for me, and anyway, I taped it long ago( the word "taped" being a giveaway to HOW long ago) so I can view it at leisure.  :)

So, let me know what YOU think.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#51 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:10 AM

Let No Man Write My Epitaph (1960).  With Burl Ives, Shelley Winters

I hope this is worth the blank DVD. I recorded it on a whim- I love Shelly Winters & Burl Ives both, let's hope they're OK together. 

#52 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

Monday, March 13

An evening of Philip Leacock films.  

8 p.m.  Take a Giant Step (1959).  With Ruby Dee and Beah Richards.

10 p.m.  Hand In Hand (1960).  I saw this charming film several times when I was very young.  Those were the days when your mother could drop you off at the cinema, no worries and come back and pick you up when it was over.

11:30.  Let No Man Write My Epitaph (1960).  With Burl Ives, Shelley Winters and Jean Seberg.

1:30 a.m.  13 West Street.  With Alan Ladd and Rod Steiger.

3 a.m.  Reach For Glory (1963).  Another kids film featuring Harry Andrews and Kay Walsh.

4:30 a.m.  Innocent Sinners (1957).  Have any of these Leacock films been on TCM before?

Bogie, I'm sure that Innocent Sinners has been on TCM, because that's where I saw it. It's the kind of little-known film that may not catch your eye in the program. I like the film very much, and would especially recommend it to those who like Forbidden Games.

• Bogie56 likes this

#53 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Monday, March 13

Ladd was at the end of his career and did not look well. He spends most of the film on crutches or using a cane (he gets beat up during the film). He looks tired and his speech sounds slurred at times. As for Steiger, he is clearly on tranquilizers. I’ve never seen him so sedate. Apparently there was not enough scenery in the budget for him to chew this time. Michael Callan plays a creep.

“When you weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds, you were beautiful.”

Untitled7-59.png

• kingrat, Bogie56, LornaHansonForbes and 1 other like this

I'm a big boy.

#54 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

LET NO MAN WRITE MY EPITAPH?

Liked that movie since I first saw it as an adolescent on a late show..Yeah, not "great" cinema, but kind of edgy and bare-boned to a 14 year old in 1965.

Still like it due to it's sentimental value to me.

Sepiatone

• Bogie56 likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#55 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

Monday, March 13

An evening of Philip Leacock films.  

8 p.m.  Take a Giant Step (1959).  With Ruby Dee and Beah Richards.

10 p.m.  Hand In Hand (1960).  I saw this charming film several times when I was very young.  Those were the days when your mother could drop you off at the cinema, no worries and come back and pick you up when it was over.

11:30.  Let No Man Write My Epitaph (1960).  With Burl Ives, Shelley Winters and Jean Seberg.

3 a.m.  Reach For Glory (1963).  Another kids film featuring Harry Andrews and Kay Walsh.

4:30 a.m.  Innocent Sinners (1957).  Have any of these Leacock films been on TCM before?

• mr6666, LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#56 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

Morita says that in The Karate Kid. "Now show me sand the floor. Now show me paint the fence. etc."

Um, I grew up in the 80s so yes I am aware of this. I was just unsure if he repeated the line in the Sidaris film as a gag.

Ps- I also know that Edward Herrmann is the master vampire.

#57 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

Sunday, March 12--One feature, one short.  All times E.S.T.

8:00 p.m. "Carmen Jones" (1954)--Bizet's "Carmen" is transformed into a musical on an Army base in the South. Dorothy Dandridge stars (she was dubbed by Marilyn Horne).  

11:18 p.m. "Studio Visit" (1946)--This is the short with Lena Horne singing "Ain't It The Truth" in a bubble bath--sequence was deleted from "Cabin in the Sky" (1943).

• Bogie56 likes this

#58 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

honest to God, I forget if this is actually in the film or if you are making a joke.

please tell me which.

Morita says that in The Karate Kid. "Now show me sand the floor. Now show me paint the fence. etc."

I'm a big boy.

#59 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

Yes, this is the film where Morita utters this classic line to a naked bimbo:

"Now show me wax on, wax off."

honest to God, I forget if this is actually in the film or if you are making a joke.

please tell me which.

#60 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Sunday, March 12

midnight.  The Bride’s Play (1921).  An early Marion Davies film.

2:30 a.m.  Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975).   Highly regarded Chantal Akerman film with Delphine Seyrig.  i still haven't seen this one.

• film lover 293 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users