We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

I Just Watched...

• Please log in to reply
6896 replies to this topic

#1 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,142 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted Today, 01:21 PM

The Young Savages (1961) East Harlem Gang Noir

...Entertaining time capsule of NYC. Screencaps from Youtube 7/10. Full Review with more screencaps here: http://noirsville.bl...arlem-gang.html

Screenshot%2B%25288403%2529%2B-%2BCopy.p

Arthur Reardon (John Davis Chandler), Danny DiPace (Stanley Kristien), and  Anthony "Batman" Aposto (Neil Nephew)

Ah-HA! "John Davis Chandler", eh?!

(...so THAT'S the guy who always kind'a reminded me of Frank Gorshin back in the day, eh CJ?)

#2 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted Today, 11:20 AM

I watched Daughter Of Horror(aka Dementia)(1955) last night.Quite a strange movie.  On IMDb they list the genre as Film Noir/Mystery/Horror,but i have some different genre labels.They are Psychiatric Thriller,Psychotic Thriller and Psychotropic Thriller...any one of those labels works better for me than the "official" genre labels.

The lighting,camera angles and the dark creepy look of this film make it a hit IMO.Love the way the camera catches the weird,mentally unstable look on the faces of the characters. :o

For me,this is one of those rare films where the more i watch it,the more i like it...it kinda grows on ya.

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#3 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted Today, 09:15 AM

"The Tingler" (1959)--Starring Vincent Price, Judith Evelyn, and Darryl Hickman.  Produced and directed by William Castle.

Film is prefaced by an appearance by director Castle, who says there's a thing called "the tingler" in sensitive people; it will kill, unless screamed into harmlessness.  This is followed by disembodied heads screaming for all they're worth, giving the camera a closeup of their tonsils. 

The plot; Dr. Chapin (Price) discovers during an autopsy that the dead man's spine was almost cracked in two.  He theorizes that an organism that lives on fear had contributed to his death.  Experiments with Lysergic Acid ( LSD) are a major plot point.  The Tingler gets loose in a movie theater, and Chapin has to set all to rights again.  Does he succeed?

Seeing Price and Judith Evelyn go on "bad trips" is reason enough to see this movie, which has a few scares, but is more memorable for the gimmick used to sell the film.

To mimic "The Tingler", certain seats in theatres showing the film were wired for low voltage electrical shocks.  Presumably, people watching from those seats would scream their heads off.  

An enjoyable watch.  2.4/4.

Price, to movie audience: "Scream!  Scream for your Lives!!"

Source--archive.org.  Search "stiller_16".  Restrict the results to movies only.  Should be the first result; was archived Sept. 7th, 2015.

• JR33928, midwestan and LawrenceA like this

#4 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted Yesterday, 07:44 AM

The Young Savages (1961) East Harlem Gang Noir

TYS%2Bposter.jpg

East Harlem 1961, a time of genuine upheaval. The demise of the 3rd Avenue el and its demolition 1955-56 opened up Yorkville and East Harlem to real estate redevelopment. A roadway reconstruction project widened 3rd Avenue to 70 feet and rows upon rows of tenements on either side were raised for the new highrises to come. This is the tableau vivant, frozen in time, that director John Frankenheimer presents in The Young Savages. The story is based on Evan Hunter's novel "A Matter of Conviction." Evan Hunter was the legally adopted name of Salvatore Albert Lombino who also wrote under the name Ed Mcbain among others. He was born in East Harlem in 1926 and his early life on the streets obviously informed the tale. The screenplay was written by Edward Anhalt and J.P. Miller.

Entertaining time capsule of NYC. Screencaps from Youtube 7/10. Full Review with more screencaps here: http://noirsville.bl...arlem-gang.html

• midwestan, LornaHansonForbes, LawrenceA and 1 other like this

#5 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

"Carry On Jack" (1963)--Starring Kenneth Williams, Juliet Mills, Bernard Cribbins, and Charles Hawtrey.

One of the first "Carry On..." films to target historical movies, this one takes on 1962's "Mutiny On The Bounty", and other ocean set films.  Movie starts off with a parody of Lord Nelson's death scene, 

"Kiss me, Hardy..."

(awkward looks all around) 

Also has my favorite outrageously bad joke of the whole Carry On series:

By-the-rules first-mate takes Jim Dale to clueless captain Kenneth Williams, who's reading a big leatherbound book of charts:
"Sir:  He's been in complete violation of naval rules, and I insist you make him an example, and throw the book at him!"

"Oh, very well:  (fling!) There--And I hope that's taught you a lesson!" :lol:

• film lover 293 likes this

Let's start a revolution:  http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#6 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

"Carry On Jack" (1963)--Starring Kenneth Williams, Juliet Mills, Bernard Cribbins, and Charles Hawtrey.

One of the first "Carry On..." films to target historical movies, this one takes on 1962's "Mutiny On The Bounty", and other ocean set films.  Movie starts off with a parody of Lord Nelson's death scene, and proceeds to London, where Albert Poop-Decker (Cribbins) is accepted as Midshipman after eight and a half years at The Royal Naval Academy.  Things are complicated by  bar wench Sally (Mills) who takes desperate measures to get to Spain, and clueless Captain Fearless (Williams) of the H.M.S. Venus.

Williams is a standout, and his energy makes the movie take off. Mills makes for an amusing male impostor.  Cribbins is acceptable as Poop-Decker, but is overly earnest.

An uneven script that has too many lulls between laughs is the films' main trouble.  Still, the script usually made me at least smile, and made me laugh fairly often.  Arguably the best line:  Hawtrey, making a discovery; "There's nothing wrong with them, they're only dead!"  Read the signs.

Not the best, but far from the worst "Carry  On... movie.  Worth the watch.  2.6/4.

Source--archive.org.  Search "CarryOnJackEnglishFilm".

• LornaHansonForbes and LawrenceA like this

#7 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

Body Double (1984) L.A. Café au lait Noir

News%2BAd%2BBody%2BDouble.jpg

Another film dealing with voyeurism. My, how perceptions and attitudes swiftly zig-zag. In 1954's Rear Window it was a wheelchair-bound good guy photographer who spies on his neighbors, 1960's Peeping Tom he's depicted as an irredeemable murderer, 1964's Strange Compulsion dealt with it clinically in an exploitive sort of way. Body Double deals with it as one of the perks of living in a Jetsons style flying saucer-like California hillside highrise.

Part Film Noir/Hollywood homage, part Hitchcock homage to Rear Window, and in one aspect also to Vertigo, part black comedy, director Brian De Palma gives us a nice peak into 1984 era tinseltown.

Director Brian De Palma (Dressed to Kill (1980), Scarface (1983), Carlito's Way (1993), The Black Dahlia (2006)) is amusing himself and us with various genres and at the same time poking a little fun at Hollywood show business in general. A few vintage L.A. institutions are lovingly lensed, others i.e., Angels Flight are faintly hinted at in the inclined access railway to the Chemosphere House. The film also has some quite humorous lines.

Body Double was written by Robert J. Avrech (screenplay) from a story by Brian De Palma. The cinematography was by Stephen H. Burum (8 Million Ways to Die (1986), Carlito's Way (1993)) and the music was by Pino Donaggio (Don't Look Now (1973), Dressed to Kill (1980)). Noir light 7/10. Full review in Film Noir/Gangster page and with some NSFW screencaps from the Sony Pictures Home Entertainment DVD here:http://http://noirsv...-lait-noir.html

• darkblue, LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#8 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

I just watched WALT & EL GRUPO (2015) the third in the "Disney Documentary" trilogy. The first two I saw were "Waking Sleeping Beauty" about the Disney Animation Renaissance of the '80's/90's, and "The Boys" about the music writers brothers Richard & Robert Sherman.

El Grupo was the weakest of the three, pretty much saying "...then they went to Argentina, then they went to Chile..." without much story arc. But the artwork shown was spectacular. It was fun seeing faces of some of the famous animators whose names I've known since a child. It was fun seeing Walt Disney enjoying the art & culture of an exotic place-he always seems so white bread to me. The message I got from the movie is that the language of art is so universal & timeless.

They're not Disney's "own" documentaries, they're made by the folks with a story to tell:  "The Boys" was produced by the Shermans' grown kids, trying to get the feuding brothers back together again, and Waking was Don Hahn's own semi-eulogy tribute to the 90's Renaissance to re-motivate the studio during the last days of the Roy-vs.-Eisner "SaveDisney.com" troubles. (When the also anti-Eisner fans were shouting "Kill the studio!" after Home on the Range, and some at the studio thought days really were numbered.)

Disney just wanted to keep them under their own label before anyone else did.  Also worked out pretty well for them in the "Frank & Ollie" documentary.

But yes, El Grupo was maddeningly off the point, as the director wanted to showcase all the lovely forgotten sketches that the artists did, while the unique quirks of 40's Disney history were all swept downstage:

The idea that the government wanted the Good Neighbor policy to prevent Axis influence in South America, that the artists jumped on to the "government service" as a way of stalling the wartime draft, and Walt's own conflicting feelings about the strike that labor-influence in Hollywood was hitting the studio with.

Here, we basically get the Saludos Amigos travelogue all over again, only trotting out the rare home-movies and sketches from the archive.  By the end of "If this is Tuesday, it must be Chile", we hear the artists just wanted to get home again, and so do we.

Let's start a revolution:  http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#9 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

The Sunday night Double-Header of "The Great Man" and "Sweet Smell of Success".

I had never seen "The Great Man" before.  It had a good cast and was about a popular and beloved radio/television commentator who had a coast-to-coast audience of admirers.  When he suddenly dies in an auto accident, the network that produced his program arranges a larger-than-life memorial tribute to this 'great' man.  One of his staffers and co-workers (Jose Ferrer) who is in line to replace the deceased man on future broadcasts, is tasked with writing a script and getting audio interviews from fans and friends for the tribute show.  What Ferrer discovers is that the beloved and highly respected commentator was viewed as a real jerk by those who knew him best!  Besides Ferrer, other prominent casties include:  Keenan Wynn, Jim Backus, Julie London, Ed Wynn, Joanne Gilbert, Lyle Talbot, and Dean Jagger.  This film was also directed by Ferrer.  Visually, the airing of "The Great Man" on TCM was fine, but the sound quality was terrible.  In some scenes, the voices by the actors were inaudible, but when they walked to a different part of the set or turned their head in another direction, it was OK.  I found that I had to crank up the volume on my set to hear the dialogue.  That did the trick.  Overall, I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.  During the intro, Ben Mankiewicz said "The Great Man" was a vastly under-rated film.  I agree with that assessment.

I had never seen "Sweet Smell of Success" all the way through, even though it's aired numerous times on TCM.  I loved the way this film was shot!  It gave a pretty good depiction of fast-paced night life in Manhattan.  Most of the characters are unlikable, especially Tony Curtis' portrayal as a seedy press agent who's supposed to try and break up a budding romance between Susan Harrison and Martin Milner.  Harrison plays Burt Lancaster's kid sister who's trying to get out from under the control of her domineering brother who just happens to be New York's premier gossip columnist.  Like many of his roles, Lancaster is blunt and straightforward in this character.  He's one of those guys who has real screen presence in just about any scene he's in, although Curtis had the meatiest part in this film.  Very good supporting cast helps this one move along at a pretty good clip.  I can see why it's highly regarded by critics.  I'd rate it 3.7 out of 4 stars.

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#10 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Is [ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL] the one where he beats the crap out of George Foreman?

68230603.jpg

really though:

Coming from someone who isn't all that "in" to foreign films, or films that aren't fast-paced, or films of the seventies, and who has a borderline phobia of hideous 70's decor, THIS WAS A GREAT FILM.

i really highly recommend it, especially to fans of ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS, which this film borders on being an outright remake of.

exquisite acting.

wonderful direction (could SO EASILY have gone off the rails in the wrong hands)

but most of all, it was a film experience that encapsulates everything i love about TCM and why I think it is so important: I know it's easy to believe that the problems we have in the world of today are so new and unique and worse than ever before, but then you sit down and watch something from the past (be it from 30,40, 50 or more years ago) that continuously slaps you in the face and reminds you:

"Nope (slap!) this **** (slap) has always (slap!) been (slap!) going on."

(and then a good backhand just for funsies.)

this is the kind of film that should be an Essential because it speaks to today, because it's relevant, because i learned from it and because- in all honesty- my step is a little lighter and my mind a little bit clearer this morning for having sat down and watched it last night.

(and Thanks TCM.)

PS- it may still be on TCM ON DEMAND.

• laffite and kingrat like this

#11 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,935 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hibi,

Sorry I couldn't tell from your reply if you were referring to Mandalay or Hat, Coat, and Glove (or perhaps another film).  These threaded comments are hard to follow sometimes.  Just wanted to let you know that Hat, Coat, and Glove is coming on TCM this Thursday, in case you wanted to see it.  It's one that I'm looking forward to as well.  (Thanks to TomJH for his original post.)

Yes, thanks for letting me know! I'll record it. (I've seen Mandalay several times).

#12 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

May's screening will be a 40th anniversary presentation of Smokey & the Bandit.

this is a GREAT IDEA.

I might have to go to this one.

• speedracer5 likes this

#13 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:13 AM

I saw the Fathom Events/TCM 50th anniversary screening of The Graduate on Sunday....

...It was a very small crowd, 10 people including myself, although I went to the 7 pm showing. Quite likely it would have been more crowded at the 2 pm showing. I'd been to the 2 pm showings of each of the three previous films, and each one was attended by at least 50 people.

I've attended many of these showings as well, always the matinee. Most of the time, the theatre is half to less than half full. The exception was Singing In The Rain, which I had to drive to 2 theaters to find tickets still available, and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, which was 3/4 full. I always thought the 7 pm showings would be more full.

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#14 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

I just watched WALT & EL GRUPO (2015) the third in the "Disney Documentary" trilogy. The first two I saw were "Waking Sleeping Beauty" about the Disney Animation Renaissance of the '80's/90's, and "The Boys" about the music writers brothers Richard & Robert Sherman.

El Grupo was the weakest of the three, pretty much saying "...then they went to Argentina, then they went to Chile..." without much story arc. But the artwork shown was spectacular. It was fun seeing faces of some of the famous animators whose names I've known since a child. It was fun seeing Walt Disney enjoying the art & culture of an exotic place-he always seems so white bread to me. The message I got from the movie is that the language of art is so universal & timeless.

I am SO GLAD the Disney studio is focusing on the company history with these documentaries, much more interesting than their franchise feature animations these days.

I then watched a TV movie from 1990 THE MYSTERIOUS MURDER OF THELMA TODD. Loni Anderson starred as Thelma Todd and although she was pretty, was hard to suspend my disbelief she was playing Todd-mostly due to her long hair & way too obvious chest.

I did like the writing and Anderson's delivery of snappy lines. It definitely gave me an idea of what Todd may have been like in real life. Also liked the actress playing Patsy Kelly. She did a great job without having to resort to broadcasting Kelly's sexual orientation. It goes to show how really unnecessary that is, although it's so often insisted upon these days. The actor playing Lucky Luciano was excellent as well.

The movie was eye candy in the costume, sets & locations too. But good strong writing & acting is what makes this a pretty successful story.

So then I watched a few Todd/Kelly MGM shorts just to get Loni Anderson's bewbs out of my mind....

• speedracer5, LornaHansonForbes and film lover 293 like this

#15 sewhite2000

sewhite2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:52 AM

I saw the Fathom Events/TCM 50th anniversary screening of The Graduate on Sunday. Not sure how long these screenings have been going on. I'd been vaguely aware of them for quite some time, but I've gotten in a groove where I've seen every one of their 2017 airings so far - An Affair to RememberAll about EveNorth by Northwest and now The Graduate. In each instance, it was my first time to see the film in question on the big screen. This is a film I've seen so many times, I probably couldn't even count, so I can't say there was anything new, other than some visual details I'd never been able to see on my small TV screen at home (I haven't embraced the giant flat screen yet) - lipstick on Benjamin's cheek after a woman kisses him in the opening party scene and visible sweat on his face when Mr. Robinson insists he stay for a drink seconds after his wife, unknown to him, has stripped nude for Benjamin and when he calls Mrs. Robinson in the phone booth at the hotel. Also, I'd never seen so clearly before the gentle smile on Mrs. Robinson's face right after she and Benjamin have fought about Elaine in the hotel room. "Benjamin ..." she says warmly, and I would like to have known what she would have said next, before he cuts her off with "Let's not talk. Let's not say anything at all," ironically echoing her sentiments at the beginning of the scene. As the screen fades to black, it's presumably the last time the two characters make love before becoming mortal enemies. It's sort of a sad moment - Mrs. Robinson makes an effort to really connect to Benjamin, but she's already done too much damage earlier in the scene. Although, in all honesty, I guess there was no real chance for a meaningful relationship or even friendship between those two characters.

It was a very small crowd, 10 people including myself, although I went to the 7 pm showing. Quite likely it would have been more crowded at the 2 pm showing. I'd been to the 2 pm showings of each of the three previous films, and each one was attended by at least 50 people. There was a college age couple sitting three seats over from me. It wasn't until the lights came up that I saw the young man was African-American and the woman Latina. Certainly surprised me they had come to see this whitest of all movies on a Sunday evening. There's not a person of color who delivers a line of dialogue in the entire film. A handful of black Berkeley students are seen very briefly. I wanted to approach them after the film and ask whatever possessed them to attend - was it a class requirement? - and what they thought of it. I'm assuming it was their first viewing. The girl gasped in shock when Mrs. Robinson appeared nude before Benjamin early in the film. Otherwise, I didn't notice much reaction from either of them, but I guess it held their attention. Amazingly for people their age, neither one of them got on their phones the entire movie.

Ben Mankiewicz' intro and outro was chock full of information I already knew. The only tidbit I hadn't heard before was Candice Bergen was up for the role of Elaine, something Ben said Bergen herself revealed when she was a TCM Guest Programmer. According to Bergen, the filmmakers "decided to go in a more brunette direction". Prior to the movie, they showed the lineup for the rest of the year. It's all pretty predictable fare. May's screening will be a 40th anniversary presentation of Smokey & the Bandit.

• kingrat, LornaHansonForbes and LawrenceA like this

#16 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:21 AM

"Pocahontas" (1995)--Starring the voices of Judy Kuhn, Mel Gibson, and David Ogden Stiers, and many others.

Beautifully drawn, gorgeously colored, Disney film is more "suggested by" historical events than a factual retelling of history.  Film briefly focuses on the British voyage to Virginia, then changes emphasis to the natives, Pocahontas in particular, and their/her unity with nature.  Film contrasts the beauty/majesty of nature with the destruction the British bring to North America, in their zeal to find gold.

Kuhn, as the singing voice of Pocahontas, more than does justice to Alan Menken's original score.  Her renditions of "The Colors of the Wind" and "Just Around the River Bend" are beautiful.  Kuhn had sung in Broadway musicals, most notably as the leads in 1988's "Chess" and the 1993 revival of "She Loves Me" (information from ibdb.com).

Mel Gibson does a generally good job of voicing John Smith; his baritone is listenable but when he shifts into tenor range for his duet with Kuhn, his voice noticeably weakens and Kuhn has to be careful not to drown him out.  David Ogden Stiers is appropriately hateful and amusingly greedy as Commander Ratcliffe in the song "Mine, Mine, Mine".  

In the song "Savages" film shows plainly it's against racism and war, showing the Europeans And the Native Americans as both being wrong in choosing violence as their first choice to settle their grievances.

Pocahontas won two Oscars, for Best Score and Best Song (The Colors of the Wind).

Underrated film is very worth the watch.  3.2/4.

Source--archive.org.  Search "Disney_Classics"; was archived 2/28/2017.  Link has multiple films; Pocahontas is #65.

• LawrenceA likes this

#17 cmovieviewer

cmovieviewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:19 AM

Sorry I missed that one. I have a fondness for Cortez too. I find him very handsome, in a slimy sort of way. I can see why he was always getting killed off! LOL. 

Hibi,

Sorry I couldn't tell from your reply if you were referring to Mandalay or Hat, Coat, and Glove (or perhaps another film).  These threaded comments are hard to follow sometimes.  Just wanted to let you know that Hat, Coat, and Glove is coming on TCM this Thursday, in case you wanted to see it.  It's one that I'm looking forward to as well.  (Thanks to TomJH for his original post.)

#18 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,405 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Wow.

Sat down and watched ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL on TCM ON DEMAND...

Is that the one where he beats the crap out of George Foreman?

• sewhite2000 and LornaHansonForbes like this

I'm a big boy.

#19 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

Wow.

Sat down and watched ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL on TCM ON DEMAND...i'm not even entirely sure why, since I'm not a foreign film person and I had a very depressing day today, something just compelled me to.

Glad I did.

It is one beautiful movie.

#20 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,142 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:08 PM

Wilson is a hagiography of a nasty man.

I love the scene where he's serving coffee to all the white soldiers of various immigrant backgrounds going off to fight World War I, and he gives a sermon about Americans of all races coming together. Of course, at the time the movie was made, the military was still segregated; President Truman wouldn't desegregate it until about 1947.

(And don't get me started on the Keefe Brasselle sequence in It's a Big Country. That's the sequence that should have been about equal rights for blacks, and not the infuriating stock footage sequence we do get.)

Ironic, then ain't it Fedya, that your present avatar, Mr. Coburn there, was a member of the White Citizens' Council which was an organization opposed to racial integration, and besides often playing in film as you make note above it, a "crotchety blankety-blank".  ;)

(...in fact, and NOT "to start somethin'" here, but I'd perhaps place the film WILSON as example No.1 in regard to why the concept of "hating the political correctness of today" which as you know is often decried by many in our society today, is all TOO often a false lament, as the more we know of our past "heroes" and the more they're TRUTHFULLY examined warts and all, and the less sugar-coated they are and such as is this film about President Wilson and due to the "political correctness" of THIS film's era, the better we all are for it)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

VivLeighFan