We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

I Just Watched...

• Please log in to reply
6579 replies to this topic

#1 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted Today, 01:16 AM

Forgive me I'm kind of late to the party, but are they showing suspense movies only all March long? Like in a continuous block?

It's this whole week, through Saturday like Lawrence said.  They're not suspense movies specifically, they're movies featuring villains.  I think that there is even somewhat of a theme in how the movies are scheduled.  If I understood it right, they took two movies featuring the same type of villain and pitted them against each other.  For example, The Bad Seed was dueling Mildred Pierce for most diabolical child villain.  Psycho and Peeping Tom squared off against one another for psycho killers.

Even though tomorrow is Friday and there are only two days left, this is the schedule and themes for the "March Malice" showcase.

http://www.tcm.com/t...-3-20-3-25.html

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#2 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,811 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted Yesterday, 11:08 PM

I loved All in the Family - what a great, funny show.    The Jeffersons were good too.

I'm going way back - but I'm watching re-runs of COMBAT.   Great, realistic show in the 1960's....and Vic Morrow was phenomenal in the show.

And also, the Honeymooners were good and of course I love Lucy was the best.

ncfl, I used to watch Combat!, first run, back in the day with my WWII combat veteran father.

The reason I bring this up is that part you said about the series being "realistic", and for the most part I suppose this is true. BUT, it also brings to mind something I remember asking Pop and his reply to me while we were watching an episode of this series back then.

It seemed in almost every episode when Sgt. Saunders' squad encountered an entrenched behind some barricade band of German soldiers, one by one those German soldiers would stand up from behind those barricades, presumably to get off a better shot at one of the American soldiers, BUT of course it would be the German soldier who'd get shot down.

And so, after I asked Pop why those the Germans kept doing that, his answer to me was, "Trust me, son. The Germans I encountered over there were never that stupid!"

(...aah...good ol' Pop)

• Stephan55 likes this

#3 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

I loved All in the Family - what a great, funny show.    The Jeffersons were good too.

I'm going way back - but I'm watching re-runs of COMBAT.   Great, realistic show in the 1960's....and Vic Morrow was phenomenal in the show.

And also, the Honeymooners were good and of course I love Lucy was the best.

#4 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted Yesterday, 05:39 PM

That's a good guess--The "Relevant" era of CBS television moved in pretty quickly on the heels of the Nixon era, and 60's comfort television was out.

Not a guess. Fact. I read a section of the Green Acres books on Amazon that said that very thing. It was the execs at CBS who were tired of the cornpone shows and low, All in the Family and shows like it moved in.

#5 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:23 PM

If dark had joked about "Disney bribing movie critics" to like Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars movies but not Warner/DC, we'd know he was a card-carrying member

darkblue

What the hell are you talking about??

Are you on drugs?

Oh, tell me you didn't hear about THAT little post-Batman/Squad comedy episode either...    :lol:

(Adding further fuel to the jokes comparing angry disgruntled DC Comics fans to Trump supporters.)

Let's start a revolution:  http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#6 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:20 PM

Interesting,  all in the same year;  do you know what new shows CBS launched to replace these 'hillbilly' shows?

I believe All in the Family was one,  and of course that type of sit-com took programming in a much different direction.

That's a good guess--The "Relevant" era of CBS television moved in pretty quickly on the heels of the Nixon era, and 60's comfort television was out.

#7 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:56 PM

If dark had joked about "Disney bribing movie critics" to like Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars movies but not Warner/DC, we'd know he was a card-carrying member, but no, looks like he's just picking up the standard get-off-my-lawn complaints and thought it was a "movement" now because he'd happened to read it elsewhere.

What the hell are you talking about??

Are you on drugs?

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#8 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Yesterday, 01:38 PM

And when CBS cancelled all the shows in the same year of 1971 (Andy Griffith had become Mayberry RFD), it was referred to in industry press as "the Great Hillbilly Purge".

Interesting,  all in the same year;  do you know what new shows CBS launched to replace these 'hillbilly' shows?

I believe All in the Family was one,  and of course that type of sit-com took programming in a much different direction.

#9 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:27 PM

And then on the OTHER hand, I remember MY father calling the CBS network's lineup of "rural sitcoms" such as The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction and The Andy Griffith Show "nothing but a bunch of dumb hayseed programs", and HE pretty much refused to watch any of THOSE!

And when CBS cancelled all the shows in the same year of 1971 (Andy Griffith had become Mayberry RFD), it was referred to in industry press as "the Great Hillbilly Purge".

#10 GordonCole

GordonCole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:05 PM

I remember my parents watching The Defenders back then, and although at the time I was too young to appreciate its more adult themes.

And then on the OTHER hand, I remember MY father calling the CBS network's lineup of "rural sitcoms" such as The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction and The Andy Griffith Show "nothing but a bunch of dumb hayseed programs", and HE pretty much refused to watch any of THOSE!

(...and because HE was mostly the final arbiter of what we watched on that ol' 21in Zenith color TV set sitting in the living room, it wouldn't be until I was in my thirties and on my own when I discovered after catching reruns of it that The Andy Griffith Show was actually a quality production)

Bucolic corn can give one the colic unfortunately.

• Dargo likes this

#11 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,811 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted Yesterday, 12:01 PM

It was on for four seasons, 1961-1965. Only season one is on DVD via Shout Factory. I don't remember it at all and I was old enough to remember it when it was on the air.. My parents are very conservative and I can see them banning this show from their TV back when I was a kid, thus I would have never known about it.

Yeah, I dont think it was one of my father's favorites either. But they must have watched it for awhile or I wouldnt remember it.......

I remember my parents watching The Defenders back then, and although at the time I was too young to appreciate its more adult themes.

(...and because HE was mostly the final arbiter of what we watched on that ol' 21in Zenith color TV set sitting in the living room, it wouldn't be until I was in my thirties and on my own when I discovered after catching reruns of it that The Andy Griffith Show was actually a quality production)

#12 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:50 AM

"Yog, Monster From Space" aka "Space Amoeba" (1970)--Starring the title thing and the creatures it Possesses.

Films' credits are in Japanese, along with glimpsed newspaper articles and most signs.  Dialogue is dubbed in English.

Plot: Japan launches an unmanned space capsule which is to land on Jupiter and eventually come back to Earth.  A photographer on a jet sees the capsule fall to Earth, after which he remarks "Life on Earth is so boring.  He joins a real estate operations' expedition to check out a remote island, which is coincidentally close to where the space capsule splashed down.

Two residents are fishing in a forbidden place on the island; one is afraid, the other laughs off his fears.  A giant squid/pickle appears in the water, scoops up screaming victim #1, and has him for a snack.

Add in monster #2 (a giant crab) and #3 (a huge tortoise), superstitious natives, a witch doctor who prays to the monsters, the title creature which wishes to enslave mankind, a convenient erupting volcano, and you have an enjoyable monster movie.

Watch for the strings that operate the pickle/squid (I spotted them twice).  The giant turtle emits clouds of soap suds(?) when it is angered.  An enjoyably silly watch.  2.5/4

Source--archive.org.  Search "Space Amoeba"; should be the 2nd result, archived May 3rd, 2014, with 4,687 views.

aka "Giant Squid From Space". :P :lol:

Derokjhgjk.jpg

#13 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted Yesterday, 11:15 AM

It was on for four seasons, 1961-1965. Only season one is on DVD via Shout Factory. I don't remember it at all and I was old enough to remember it when it was on the air.. My parents are very conservative and I can see them banning this show from their TV back when I was a kid, thus I would have never known about it.

Yeah, I dont think it was one of my father's favorites either. But they must have watched it for awhile or I wouldnt remember it.......

#14 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:27 PM

"The Extraordinary Seaman" (1969)--Starring David Niven, Faye Dunaway, Alan Alda, Mickey Rooney, and Jack Carter; directed by John Frankenheimer.

Extraordinarily unfunny comedy has three laughs and two smiles to its' credit in 80 minutes of movie.  The special effects man gets both smiles, when ghost Finchhaven's (Niven) brandy bottle refills itself.  Niven gets two laughs when he tells Alda he's a ghost.  Dunaway gets the other laugh when she corrects Alda's definition of "flotsam" and "jetsam".  Frankenheimer's footage runs barely an hour.  MGM panicked and inserted roughly 20 minutes of WW II newsreel footage to make the film run longer.  The recordings of The Andrews Sisters and Pirates of Penzance ease the pain of watching the film a bit.  1992's "Godzilla vs. Biollante" (a mutant rosebush) is Much funnier than this disaster.

With that cast and director, "The Extraordinary Seaman" should have been much better, instead of the wet firecracker it turned out to be.  Skip it.

Source--YouTube, in 6 parts.

• kingrat and LawrenceA like this

#15 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

"Yog, Monster From Space" aka "Space Amoeba" (1970)--Starring the title thing and the creatures it Possesses.

Films' credits are in Japanese, along with glimpsed newspaper articles and most signs.  Dialogue is dubbed in English.

Plot: Japan launches an unmanned space capsule which is to land on Jupiter and eventually come back to Earth.  A photographer on a jet sees the capsule fall to Earth, after which he remarks "Life on Earth is so boring.  He joins a real estate operations' expedition to check out a remote island, which is coincidentally close to where the space capsule splashed down.

Two residents are fishing in a forbidden place on the island; one is afraid, the other laughs off his fears.  A giant squid/pickle appears in the water, scoops up screaming victim #1, and has him for a snack.

Add in monster #2 (a giant crab) and #3 (a huge tortoise), superstitious natives, a witch doctor who prays to the monsters, the title creature which wishes to enslave mankind, a convenient erupting volcano, and you have an enjoyable monster movie.

Watch for the strings that operate the pickle/squid (I spotted them twice).  The giant turtle emits clouds of soap suds(?) when it is angered.  An enjoyably silly watch.  2.5/4

Source--archive.org.  Search "Space Amoeba"; should be the 2nd result, archived May 3rd, 2014, with 4,687 views.

• cigarjoe and LawrenceA like this

#16 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

Lol...I think Eric's talking about the superhero movie Suicide Squad from last year, and that it got bad reviews, and when Rotten Tomatoes gave it a bad score, some fans of the movie tried to get Rotten Tomatoes shut down for saying bad things about their movie. At least I think that's what he meant by "Squadders".

I can't say that any of that was a "big news item", though.

Well, yeah, I did mention the big DC Comics-fan tantrum over "Suicide Squad" about eight posts back--

All the tantrums the same fans had thrown over Batman v. Superman's toxic bad reviews had pretty much been laughed off by that point, but when Squad got almost as nearly toxic reviews for almost the exact same reasons five months later, it was clearly a social conspiracy!...Of a growing problem in the industry!  :lol: 

If dark had joked about "Disney bribing movie critics" to like Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars movies but not Warner/DC, we'd know he was a card-carrying member, but no, looks like he's just picking up the standard get-off-my-lawn complaints and thought it was a "movement" now because he'd happened to read it elsewhere.

#17 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

Never heard of it. I don't read "squadders", whatever they are. Have no idea what that would be.

The "press" covered it as a story, you say?

"Big news item?"

I have to ask with even more derogation, "what press?"

Lol...I think Eric's talking about the superhero movie Suicide Squad from last year, and that it got bad reviews, and when Rotten Tomatoes gave it a bad score, some fans of the movie tried to get Rotten Tomatoes shut down for saying bad things about their movie. At least I think that's what he meant by "Squadders".

I can't say that any of that was a "big news item", though.

• film lover 293 likes this

#18 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

The big news item when all the Squadders got together to start a Change.org petition (snicker!) to retire RottenTomatoes's site

Never heard of it. I don't read "squadders", whatever they are. Have no idea what that would be.

The "press" covered it as a story, you say?

"Big news item?"

I have to ask with even more derogation, "what press?"

#19 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

What press?

The big news item when all the Squadders got together to start a Change.org petition (snicker!) to retire RottenTomatoes's site, for being a clear indication of how "corrupt and outdated" the movie critic profession had become, un(snicker!)quote.

(Hence the "Trump" jokes about DC Comics fanboys who got upset when nobody liked Warner's movies:  "RT has acted unacceptably, and they should be asked to resign!")

#20 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

I have no use for critics. Many people work for months - sometimes years - producing something for us to experience, only to have some snot go telling everyone how bad it is and interfering with any chance for a truly fair appraisal by movie-goers. They can seriously damage many careers with their flippant and often crap opinions.

If you don't like a movie, then write about a movie you do like. If I were an editor I would never allow a bashing review to be run in my paper until the movie in question had run its course.

I'm fine with criticism of movies that are older - have had their chance to be seen. But what happened to Powell is exactly what's wrong with the power these generally un-creative contributors of nothing but their own complaints have been allowed to wield.

The new angry "DC Trump" fanboys gotten themselves laughed off the press.

What press?

think it was Gene Siskel, the philosophical half of Siskel & Ebert, who said it best

"A critic doesn't say he 'hated' the movie...He asks, 'Why wasn't it BETTER?'"

Well, as this generally useless occupation of "film critic for the press" goes, Siskel was worth five Eberts. So, at least you chose the right one of the two to quote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users