We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

I Just Watched...

• Please log in to reply
6890 replies to this topic

#6521 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

Wasn't Glenn Close the leading lady in "Barnum"?

#6522 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,824 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Swithin--thanks for the "Wildcat' clip.  I see why Lucille Ball wore her voice out before 200 performances--looks like she was in every number & w/o vocal training & rest between shows--spelled disaster--don't know why she didn't foresee it.

speedracer5--Grayson's voice is OK, except when she's going for notes only dogs can hear--then, if it's a solo, I forward through it--if it's balanced by Howard Keel's voice, I just mute her voice, then turn the sound on for his.

I prefer Cy Coleman's early scores for the shows he did with Carolyn Leigh -- Wildcat and Little Me (also the lesser-known Seesaw) -- better than his mega-hits like Sweet Charity, Barnum, etc., though I do enjoy them as well.

• film lover 293 likes this

#6523 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

Swithin--thanks for the "Wildcat' clip.  I see why Lucille Ball wore her voice out before 200 performances--looks like she was in every number & w/o vocal training & rest between shows--spelled disaster--don't know why she didn't foresee it.

speedracer5--Grayson's voice is OK, except when she's going for notes only dogs can hear--then, if it's a solo, I forward through it--if it's balanced by Howard Keel's voice, I just mute her voice, then turn the sound on for his.

• Swithin and mr6666 like this

#6524 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

Ann Blyth would have been a good choice for Kiss Me Kate (1953), IMHO.  She was a soprano w/o the shrill quality Grayson had to her voice--She sang w/o dubbing in "The Great Caruso" (1950) (she got to sing as Caruso's wife), "The Student Prince" (1953), "Rose Marie" (1954), & "Kismet" (1955).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Kathryn Grayson's singing excruciating to listen to. I always skip through her singing scenes in "Anchors Aweigh."
  • mr6666 and film lover 293 like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#6525 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,824 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

I saw Keith Andes in the musical WILDCAT,during it's Philadelphia tryout, and really liked it and him. 

I never saw the show but have enjoyed the original cast album for years. Great score -- it "takes my fancy."

• sapphiere and film lover 293 like this

#6526 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

Ann Blyth would have been a good choice for Kiss Me Kate (1953), IMHO.  She was a soprano w/o the shrill quality Grayson had to her voice--She sang w/o dubbing in "The Great Caruso" (1950) (she got to sing as Caruso's wife), "The Student Prince" (1953), "Rose Marie" (1954), & "Kismet" (1955).

• johnm001 and AndreaDoria like this

#6527 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

I saw Keith Andes in the musical WILDCAT,during it's Philadelphia tryout, and really liked it and him.  I know he wasn't a big enough star, but I always wished he had done the film version of KISS ME KATE.  Of course, I also wish anyone, other than Kathryn Grayson had done the film, as well.

AndesMM2.jpg

Yes, please.

#6528 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

1. YES! Clifford Odets- who wrote CBN- was the worst. There are very few classic movies that I hate and nearly all of them were written by Odets. Not only Can Stanwyck and Monroe not save it; neither can Robert Ryan nor the smoking hot Keith Andes- who is gorgeous and interesting in his part...he never made it big and later killed himself.

2. Several posts below this, please check out my review of EASY LIVING, I watched it yesterday. Kinky movie.

I saw Keith Andes in the musical WILDCAT,during it's Philadelphia tryout, and really liked it and him.  I know he wasn't a big enough star, but I always wished he had done the film version of KISS ME KATE.  Of course, I also wish anyone, other than Kathryn Grayson had done the film, as well.

#6529 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

1. I just finished watching Clash By Night.  I think I tried watching this movie once before and just couldn't get "into it." I'm sorry to report that the same happened again.  Even Barbara Stanwyck and a young Marilyn Monroe couldn't save this movie.  It was boring. 

2. I've moved on now to Easy Living, a Lucille Ball movie that I recorded.  It's got the icky Victor Mature (he's good in some of the movies I've seen him in, he's horribly unattractive to me though) so hopefully he won't ruin it for me.  It also co-stars Lizabeth Scott, so we'll see how this goes.

1. YES! Clifford Odets- who wrote CBN- was the worst. There are very few classic movies that I hate and nearly all of them were written by Odets. Not only Can Stanwyck and Monroe not save it; neither can Robert Ryan nor the smoking hot Keith Andes- who is gorgeous and interesting in his part...he never made it big and later killed himself.

2. Several posts below this, please check out my review of EASY LIVING, I watched it yesterday. Kinky movie.

#6530 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:36 AM

I just finished watching Clash By Night.  I think I tried watching this movie once before and just couldn't get "into it." I'm sorry to report that the same happened again.  Even Barbara Stanwyck and a young Marilyn Monroe couldn't save this movie.  It was boring.  The one character's Chinese impression was beyond horrible and ugh.  I don't even want to talk about this movie anymore.  I was tempted to bail on it and go back to marathon watching I Love Lucy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  But I persevered and got through and that's about it.

I've moved on now to Easy Living, a Lucille Ball movie that I recorded.  It's got the icky Victor Mature (he's good in some of the movies I've seen him in, he's horribly unattractive to me though) so hopefully he won't ruin it for me.  It also co-stars Lizabeth Scott, so we'll see how this goes.

I really like Clash by Night even though Stanwyck seems a little too old for the part. Easy Living is n interesting story about pro football before it became whatever it is these days.

#6531 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:06 AM

Sounds no worse than rice pudding--granted, I find rice pudding nauseating--the recipe is basic (sorry, the amounts are metric & temperature are/is in Centigrade--recipe is taken from a British webpage.

"100 grams cooked macaroni

2 eggs

2 tablespoons sugar

600 ml milk

Grated Nutmeg

Grated Lemon Rind

Pre-heat oven to 180 Degrees Centigrade.  Place cooked macaroni in well-buttered casserole dish.  Beat eggs & mix with sugar & milk.  Scatter grated nutmeg & grated lemon rind over mixture & carefully pour over macaroni.  Bake in oven for one hour until golden on top & the custard has set."

A sweet version of macaroni  & cheese--I'd try that over rice pudding.

• AndreaDoria likes this

#6532 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,525 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:02 AM

"Cria Cuervos" (1976)  in case anyone is interested in the 45 she's playing.

Cr%C3%ADa+cuervos+(Ana).jpg

"Porque te vas" by Jeanette

Got a laugh at the beginning, I think this is the first movie TCM ever showed where a guy came and went at the same time.DevilSmiley.gif

#6533 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,138 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:07 AM

"That Hamilton Woman" (1941) had a quote that made me gag.....Macaroni pudding.  I had to look it up to see if it was for real.  Yuck, it is.

picQhb7sw.jpg

...but it doesn't make me gag more than that snob Lady (yeah right) Frances.

[snip] ....

Well, if it was that Hamilton woman who concocted that dish, then no wonder they called her that.

#6534 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,525 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:58 AM

"The Phantom Carriage" (1920)

This scene where David was chopping through the door with an axe....

phantomblu_shot14l.jpg

....was anyone expecting....

Heres-Johnny.gif

:lol:

• mr6666, Dargo and film lover 293 like this

#6535 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

eww... so is macaroni pudding essentially soggy pasta mixed with custard??

That sounds horrible!

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#6536 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,525 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:28 PM

"That Hamilton Woman" (1941) had a quote that made me gag.....Macaroni pudding.  I had to look it up to see if it was for real.  Yuck, it is.

picQhb7sw.jpg

...but it doesn't make me gag more than that snob Lady (yeah right) Frances.

cooper-and-olivier-in-their-confrontatio

#6537 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

I hadn't seen the film since sometime in the '60s, when my mother and I laughed all through it; but I really loved seeing it, again, and really enjoyed it.  I have come to the conclusion, that Barbara Stanwyck has appeared in more watchable films than any other actress, by far!

• sapphiere, AndreaDoria and film lover 293 like this

#6538 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

I just finished watching Clash By Night.  I think I tried watching this movie once before and just couldn't get "into it." I'm sorry to report that the same happened again.  Even Barbara Stanwyck and a young Marilyn Monroe couldn't save this movie.  It was boring.  The one character's Chinese impression was beyond horrible and ugh.  I don't even want to talk about this movie anymore.  I was tempted to bail on it and go back to marathon watching I Love Lucy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  But I persevered and got through and that's about it.

I've moved on now to Easy Living, a Lucille Ball movie that I recorded.  It's got the icky Victor Mature (he's good in some of the movies I've seen him in, he's horribly unattractive to me though) so hopefully he won't ruin it for me.  It also co-stars Lizabeth Scott, so we'll see how this goes.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#6539 EugeniaH

EugeniaH

Advanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

Yes, yes yes!

The silent version of BEN-HUR with Ramon Navarro is so much better the later version.

Thanks, y'all.  It's now first in my Classicflix queue.

"It's easy to quit, but it's better to fight." - B.F. Fulton

#6540 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

SERIOUSLY: WATCH THE SILENT 1925 VERSION!

It is so much better. I've never appreciated the story at all until I saw the silent version.

Hopefully TCM'll show it again soon, but if not you can maybe netflix it or possibly watch it online, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Yes, yes yes!

The silent version of BEN-HUR with Ramon Novarro is so much better than the later version.

novarro_wm.jpg

(This photo is not from BEN-HUR.)

• mr6666 and film lover 293 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users