We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

I Just Watched...

• Please log in to reply
6599 replies to this topic

#6521 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,779 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:28 PM

Yeah. Anyone beaming down in a red top was pretty much toast. When two or more "reds" went, at least one was a goner. Scotty wasn't immune, either! He was killed several times.

Here's that "large laundry cubes" episode

:lol:

It's By Any Other Name - a second season episode of the original series, first broadcast February 23, 1968 and repeated May 31, 1968. It is episode #51.

n2lb2p.jpg

Maybe industrial sized laundry cubes. I haven't watched Star Trek too often

in the last few years, but I do remember that once Warren crushed your cubes,

you were a goner.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#6522 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:06 PM

I'll admit I haven't watched many new to me films in the last couple of days-- right now I'm watching episodes of Alton Brown's Good Eats on Netflix.  I'm trying to decide what to watch now that I've finished eating and have learned how you use a pie bird.  Thanks to Alton Brown, now I know. 

Anyway.

Yesterday I watched "Tangled," a cute animated film from Disney.  I loved this movie.  It is the story of Rapunzel, a princess with magic hair that has the ability to heal.  Rapunzel was kidnapped as a child by an old woman who wanted to stay young.  She kept Rapunzel captive in a tower in the middle of nowhere, where the two of them lived for 18 years.  When the old woman would start experiencing the effects of aging, she'd ask Rapunzel to sing a special song while she brushed Rapunzel's hair.  Rapunzel had to sing the same song each time to activate her special powers.  Every year on Rapunzel's birthday, her parents, the King and Queen, release two lighted lanterns into the sky, hoping that Rapunzel would see them and come home.  Eventually everyone in the kingdom began releasing the lanterns, creating a beautiful "starry" sky.  Rapunzel sees these glowing lights every year and wants to see the display in person.  Enter Flynn Rider.  Rider, a criminal, stumbles across Rapunzel's tower while on the run.  He manages to climb inside the tower.  Eventually after Rapunzel is understandably freaked out, she makes a deal with Rider: He must take her to the castle to see the lanterns released, and she will give back his satchel (that she's stolen and hidden) that contains the items he has stolen.  Inevitably, the two fall in love and Rapunzel's "mother" is upset that Rapunzel is gone and seeks out to find her. 

This was a great movie with fun characters and fun songs.  My favorite part was when Flynn takes Rapunzel on a romantic boat ride so she can view the annual lantern display from the best spot in town.  The scene is so gorgeous, accompanied by a romantic song.  I'm a sucker for sweet romantic stories.  Plus, Flynn Rider was super hot, which throws me into a dilemma: I used to maintain that Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty was the hottest Disney prince, but Rider gives him a run for his money.  (Yes I realize they're cartoon characters). 

Anyway. 

Throughout all my fangirl swooning over the animated Flynn Rider, I have settled upon watching Days of Wine and Roses with Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick.  So far, so good with that movie.  In about two hours I'll know if it'll end up in my "Waste of DVR space" thread or this one. 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#6523 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

Earlier today, on one of the Spanish language movie channels.I get.through Directv, they aired EL.NORTE, without commercials. It had been a few years since I've seen this classic, and enjoyed if all over again. As timely as ever, it has some great writing and an excellent cast, including a great turn by the recently deceased Lupe Ontiveros.

#6524 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

So is Cobb's daughter only 2 years younger than he is?

That conjures up some interesting scenarios.

I was figuring, Lee's daughter is so attractive, and since she probably got all of it from mom..

mom must be way gorgeous (I haven't seen her yet). 

Wait.. I found this. Julie's mother is indeed quite beautiful. How fortunate; Lee.

10fouwh.jpg

FdX2C0H.gif

#6525 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

Wow! Not bad for a daughter of Lee J. Cobb!

(...must've taken after her mother)

So when Lee ranted "lousy kids, you work your heart out ...," he was complaining that his son became his daughter?

I'm a big boy.

#6526 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

With a daughter like that,  I  would have taken after her mother!

Honk! Honk!

:P

So is Cobb's daughter only 2 years younger than he is?

#6527 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

With a daughter like that,  I  would have taken after her mother!

Honk! Honk!

woogedawoogedawoogeda

FdX2C0H.gif

#6528 fxreyman

fxreyman

I never shot nobody I didn't have to.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts
  • LocationLibertyville, Illinois

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

It is most definitely NOT the movies, but on YouTube I have found a channel showing the first three seasons of Have Gun - Will Travel. I don't think I have ever seen any of these. Richard Boone was so good as Paladin.

#6529 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

I just watched The Stranger last night. Damned if I could find any gay subtext, except for maybe those college boys chasing each other in the woods.

I'm a big boy.

#6530 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

IIRC the cube he crushed was the redshrt played by Lee J. Cobb's cute daughter Julie, so we never saw her again 

:(  

#6531 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

He was just demonstrating.. like the vacuum cleaner salesmen of olden days: When one is crushed, it cannot be returned to it's original form - gone forever. He then quickly pulls out his handy-dandy-ṣpic-and-spandy vacuum cleaner to demonstrate to Kirk how well it works, even on another planet.

It's all quite simple, really.

LOL

(...sorry, but as I mentioned earlier somewhere today, I've used up all my allotment of "Likes" today already)

#6532 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

Star Trek wasn't the only show with "redshirts". In the last few months I've been watching a lot of Rawhide episodes. Whenever you see a new drover around the campfire, you just know he's bound to get caught in a stampede.

It's gotten to where we can spot 'em a mile away

:)

Here's Julia Cobb. She figured prominently - better than most red-shirts.

343kz2x.jpg

15eeo9w.jpg

FdX2C0H.gif

#6533 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

I can't remember here, Kid. Is there a reason why Warren there is crushing one of those poor ill-fated (used to be) red top ensigns there?

IIRC the cube he crushed was the redshrt played by Lee J. Cobb's cute daughter Julie, so we never saw her again 

:(  

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#6534 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

Yeah. Anyone beaming down in a red top was pretty much toast. When two or more "reds" went, at least one was a goner. 

Star Trek wasn't the only show with "redshirts". In the last few months I've been watching a lot of Rawhide episodes. Whenever you see a new drover around the campfire, you just know he's bound to get caught in a stampede.

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#6535 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

He was just demonstrating.. like the vacuum cleaner salesmen of olden days: When one is crushed, it cannot be returned to it's original form - gone forever. He then quickly pulls out his handy-dandy-ṣpic-and-spandy vacuum cleaner to demonstrate to Kirk how well it works, even on another planet.

It's all quite simple, really.

FdX2C0H.gif

#6536 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:11 PM

I can't remember here, Kid. Is there a reason why Warren there is crushing one of those poor ill-fated (used to be) red top ensigns there?

(...and don't tell me it's 'cause HIS washing machine gets clogged up if he doesn't)

#6537 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

Wasn't there an urban legend that if they were wearing a certain

color of uniform top they weren't coming back to the Enterprise?

I got a kick out of the one where they changed people into

something that looked like large laundry cubes. Can't recall the

details, but I laughed every time I saw it. Don't throw him into

the washer.

Yeah. Anyone beaming down in a red top was pretty much toast. When two or more "reds" went, at least one was a goner. Scotty wasn't immune, either! He was killed several times.

Here's that "large laundry cubes" episode

:lol:

It's By Any Other Name - a second season episode of the original series, first broadcast February 23, 1968 and repeated May 31, 1968. It is episode #51.

n2lb2p.jpg

FdX2C0H.gif

#6538 fxreyman

fxreyman

I never shot nobody I didn't have to.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts
  • LocationLibertyville, Illinois

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

Was watching a doc on You tube about the Bismarck vs. the Hood. I then decided to watch 1960's Sink the Bismarck. Great film based on actual events, and the funny thing is this:

Even though the movie has a lot of miniature work, the models of the ships are very detailed.

#6539 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

I just saw RETURN TO OZ for the first time yesterday.

It features Fairuza Balk as Dorothy and is a very well-made fantasy that held my interest from beginning to end.

Piper Laurie plays Aunt Em, and Jean Marsh plays the evil Mombi in Oz (in Kansas her character is a nurse who works with a doctor who wants to use an electrical device to wipe out Dorothy's memories of Oz).

I loved the talking chicken and Jack Pumpkinhead.   

#6540 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,779 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:50 AM

Well, how are ya gonna wash your Tribble then???

Oh, you've got to take Tribbles to a dry cleaners.

That's why they're so much trouble. Getting late.

Goin' to see what Mary Ann is up to or up for.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users