We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Posting for Noir Topics - where to post

63 replies to this topic

#1 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

I am not receiving them either, and wondering what's up. Daily Dose isn't going to my email at all. Where do I find it anyone know?

Are you looking for the Daily Dose of Doozy? If so, you would be more likely to find an answer on the OUCH! A Salute to Slapstick thread. That's where everyone is posting for the course on slapstick.

#2 jbolton

jbolton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

I am trying to catch up on the Daily Dose clips. First, I no longer receive them in my email, so I went to Canvas, view them on youtube using the link in Canvas, and then post my response through Canvas. Are the responses being found? Secondly, the daily dose is not going to my email any more, and the ones on Canvas are not current. I find three or four from this week that are not posting to Canvas. Just wanted to try and touch base with someone about it.

I am not receiving them either, and wondering what's up. Daily Dose isn't going to my email at all. Where do I find it anyone know?

#3 The Working Dead

The Working Dead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

I am trying to catch up on the Daily Dose clips. First, I no longer receive them in my email, so I went to Canvas, view them on youtube using the link in Canvas, and then post my response through Canvas. Are the responses being found? Secondly, the daily dose is not going to my email any more, and the ones on Canvas are not current. I find three or four from this week that are not posting to Canvas. Just wanted to try and touch base with someone about it.

There was an issue with the email system due to the class size, so for awhile they stopped emailing them and hosted them exclusively on the Canvas site.. They've since restarted the email system, though it goes to a different folder in my account now. Check your spam folders. Also, the website for the daily doses is: https://learn.canvas...kness-main-page and when I open it up I see all of them. It appears we're taking a bit of a hiatus this week. 

The Canvas board is, from what I hear, not as active as the TCM board. I believe it was set up as an option for people who were having technical issues with the TCM boards. I keep meaning to head over there and check out the discussion, but never seem to find the time.

I am blogging this almost-daily at http://WorkingDeadProductions.com

Contact me on Twitter @TheWorkingDead

Also on http://letterboxd.com/TheWorkingDead/

#4 magpie55

magpie55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

• The Working Dead likes this

#5 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationBall State University

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

Am I confused, or what?  I thought I had it figured out but I am still seeing relevant posts under the Daily Dose.  Going from board to board to get feed back is really a bother.  Yet I see few relevant posts here on the TCM message board.   

:wub:

You are not confused. But some of these choices are borne of necessity since we have 18,000 enrolled students from around the world. The problem is that many students are having trouble logging onto TCM message boards, and I had to create another way for them to post. I don't want to get too far into the technical weeds, but we have tried every avenue with several students to get them onto TCM boards with no luck. There are computer problems, ISP problems, different issues with different countries, etc. I did not open a second board without careful deliberation and discussion with the course team, but I have to take into consideration the needs of all of the students. 

Yes, it creates two message boards instead of one, but I am trying to make sure every student has the ability to participate. And the TCM boards do get much more traffic and much more posts than the ones at Canvas. So if you can log into TCM, my preference is for students to post their comments at TCM. 

For following along with student activity, my suggestion is to pick one or the other message boards to follow (not both, unless you have the time).

I've been reading both boards daily, and I find the content of the student comments on the Daily Doses at TCM and Canvas cover many of the same topics and insights.

Thanks for your question, and I hope you are enjoying the course! 

• PiercingMildred and Cinemapeg like this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: The Master of Suspense: 50 Years of Hitchcock (2017)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015)

#6 The Working Dead

The Working Dead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:19 AM

Am I confused, or what?  I thought I had it figured out but I am still seeing relevant posts under the Daily Dose.  Going from board to board to get feed back is really a bother.  Yet I see few relevant posts here on the TCM message board.   

I haven't used the Canvas boards yet myself. I had assumed the TCM board to be the more active and quote-unquote official page. The official posts will be pinned, and say as such to the left of the thread name. They also tend to be the first ones you see. But some people still post standalone threads for the same thing, though, which tends to clutter the page a bit.

#7 TerriT

TerriT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:50 AM

#8 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:25 AM

Hi Everyone: Just checking in on this topic to make sure things are going well on the message boards. The TCM team and myself spent a good deal of time over the first two weeks trying to address the initial concerns on the board, so thanks for all the great feedback! You guys have been terrific with helping us on the boards! Also thanks to everyone who made a comment over on the Canvas discussion on this same topic. 

Let us know how everything is working.

I think that pinning the Daily Doses and creating official threads has helped a lot. We now have an official thread for every Friday viewing marathon, and everyone can still create their own threads on topics of interest to this community. 

We are always looking for ways to improve your experience here and at Canvas, so we will continue to monitor to make sure everything continues to go along smoothly! 

Happy Postings! I am thankful for all the great posts here. I'm been enjoying them so much, and I hope others have too. What an amazing community we have here!

Thanks, Prof. Edwards

• PiercingMildred likes this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

#9 PiercingMildred

PiercingMildred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for all the feedback Noir Investigators and Students of #NoirSummer! This is such a great community. 

After considering all the suggestions and all the great feedback, we have decided to try a simple change first and see if that meets the main needs of the community.

We will start "pinning" at the top of the board the four weekly Daily Doses so they are in place each week. Remember, just like this week, you won't get next week's clip or the curator's note until the day it is released, but we want to anticipate in advance each week's four Daily Doses and have those topic areas pre-loaded each week and pinned so each of you know where to find the "official instructor-began" Daily Dose discussion. That should eliminate the need for students to open up multiple threads on the Daily Dose. 

Second, we will have a single pinned thread for tomorrow's Summer of Darkness TCM viewing lineup. I know in advance that there are 13 films that can be potentially watched and discussed in that thread, but we need to try to see if a single thread will work for the bulk of students. If we keep discussing each film in a separate thread, a certain number of movies will get pushed down the forum and be somewhat "invisible" (i.e. not on the main page) after 3-4 movies. So having a "pinned" thread will keep that topic at the top of the forum. 

Third, everyone is still able to start their own threads. We are not going to change that. But there are 11,000+ students now, and we are hoping that these organizational choices will work for the vast number of that 11,000. We know that these changes or choices will not satisfy everyone. We understand that. This is not meant to be restrictive. We want this forum to remain lively and full of great posts! Rather our goal is to help guide the largest numbers of students easily find the most popular discussions. 

As always, we remain open-minded, and will continue to listen to suggestions. We are constantly evaluating everything we do so that this remains an amazing learning experience. 

Thanks for understanding, and for helping make this such a terrific course! 

Your instructor,
Richard Edwards

11,000+ students?! Feckin brilliant!

#10 TCMModerator1

TCMModerator1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:11 AM

May I ask you one thing more? Can I delete a profile? I have an old one that for some reason doesn't have permissions to post, and I couldn't make it work, so I created a new one that works fine, but whenever I click a link to the message boards from my e-mail, I'm logged in to the non-working profile. I have to sign out and sign back in with the second username. I don't see a way to delete a profile.

Hello Ninnybit

If you can PM me the name of the profile you wish to delete, I'll see if I can take care of that for you. Click on my picture, and that will take you to  my profile. From there you will see a button that says, 'Send a message to this member'. 

#11 The Working Dead

The Working Dead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

May I ask you one thing more? Can I delete a profile? I have an old one that for some reason doesn't have permissions to post, and I couldn't make it work, so I created a new one that works fine, but whenever I click a link to the message boards from my e-mail, I'm logged in to the non-working profile. I have to sign out and sign back in with the second username. I don't see a way to delete a profile.

That I couldn't tell you. I'm just getting situated here myself. I looked around and couldn't find a way to do it. My advice would be to just use one of the 'contact us' buttons and explain the situation. Probably they'd be able to fix the problem.

• Ninnybit likes this

#12 Ninnybit

Ninnybit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:43 PM

• The Working Dead likes this

#13 The Working Dead

The Working Dead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:05 PM

Thanks very much. That will hellp a lot. I think one of my problems is I'm trying to do this on an iPad and everything is very tiny. I need to enbiggen.

No problemo. I think you read the post where I was editing something in. I forgot to say that if you click on that icon instead of the thread title, it will take you immediately to the first post since your last visit.

Edit: Nope, you didn't, just looked at my quote in your response. Disregard.

• Ninnybit likes this

#14 Ninnybit

Ninnybit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

It's actually a little easier than that. When you come to the board, instead of clicking on the thread itself, look at the little icon to the left of the thread title. If it's a circle, that means you've never posted in that thread but there have been new posts since you last looked at it. If there's a small star, it means you've posted but there's nothing new since your last visit. If there's a big star it means you've posted, and there are new comments since your last visit.
There's nothing that will easily take you to replies to your thread, but clicking on those icons instead of the thread link itself will take you instantly to the first post since your last visit. This should make it a bit easier to navigate what's new and what's old. One thing I've been doing is; I always 'like' the comment I'm replying to, that way the author knows someone has read their post and there might be something on the thread to check out.

Thanks very much. That will hellp a lot. I think one of my problems is I'm trying to do this on an iPad and everything is very tiny. I need to enbiggen.
  • Cinemapeg likes this

#15 The Working Dead

The Working Dead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:56 PM

Thanks, James. This time when I logged on there was a little red "notifications" button lit up at the top right. That's the first time I've seen that so maybe that's the ticket.

It's actually a little easier than that. When you come to the board, instead of clicking on the thread itself, look at the little icon to the left of the thread title. If it's a circle, that means you've never posted in that thread but there have been new posts since you last looked at it. If there's a small star, it means you've posted but there's nothing new since your last visit. If there's a big star it means you've posted, and there are new comments since your last visit.

There's nothing that will easily take you to replies to your thread, but clicking on those icons instead of the thread link itself will take you instantly to the first post since your last visit. This should make it a bit easier to navigate what's new and what's old. One thing I've been doing is; I always 'like' the comment I'm replying to, that way the author knows someone has read their post and there might be something on the thread to check out.

• jamesjazzguitar and Ninnybit like this

#16 Ninnybit

Ninnybit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

One just has to go to the thread where you have posted and scroll down to your post and than up from there to see replies to your post.

Yea,  somewhat of a pain, depending on how often one goes to a specific thread.   e.g. If one comes to the tread fairly often than there are only a few 'new' message and one doesn't have to scroll down very far.

Thanks, James. This time when I logged on there was a little red "notifications" button lit up at the top right. That's the first time I've seen that so maybe that's the ticket.

#17 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

Probably a dumb question, but how do I see replies to my posts? I get e-mail notifications, but the links take me to the tops of the message boards, not to my posts or replies to my posts, and these are some looong message boards. I can see my posts if I go to my profile, but I can't see replies there.

What's the trick I don't know?

One just has to go to the thread where you have posted and scroll down to your post and than up from there to see replies to your post.

Yea,  somewhat of a pain, depending on how often one goes to a specific thread.   e.g. If one comes to the thread fairly often than there are only a few 'new' message and one doesn't have to scroll down very far.    

• Ninnybit likes this

#18 Ninnybit

Ninnybit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:17 AM

Probably a dumb question, but how do I see replies to my posts? I get e-mail notifications, but the links take me to the tops of the message boards, not to my posts or replies to my posts, and these are some looong message boards. I can see my posts if I go to my profile, but I can't see replies there.

What's the trick I don't know?

#19 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

Brand new to this, I just joined the message board is there anything else I should do to get ready for the course??

Yes, there is an entire course over at Canvas.net. You should have gotten instructions for that when you signed up for the course. The best place to start is at the course site, and there you will find valuable information about this course. Thanks!

• winonaww likes this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

#20 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:08 AM

I appreciate everything that's being done to streamline and organize the course communications.  I may be the last holdout in still having problems signing into both TCM msg. board and Twitter.  TCM seems to require that I re-register, or at least get a new password, each time.  Is this the case or am I just misunderstanding?  With Twitter, which I have no experience using, I can't find a way to sign in so I can get to my Profile page and edit it.  Others have their posts listed there, but not me; also, is there an easy one-step way to getting to our particular stream?  Thanks in advance.  .  

TCM Message Boards do not require you to get a new password each time, so something is not set up properly in your official account. Are you trying to use "guest" accounts each time? You need to set up your own account, and the button (it's in green and called "Create Account) for doing is at the right hand top of this screen at TCM: http://forums.tcm.com/

Regarding Twitter, there has been a bunch of discussion about that for people who are new to Twitter on the Canvas Discussion boards. We are using the hashtag, #NoirSummer. If you sign up for Twitter and search for #NoirSummer, you will find the other course discussions that have been happening in tweet form.

Hope this helps. And PS, since there are 15,000 students now, if other students out there are savvy with Twitter, please help those who aren't. I am increasingly having trouble keeping up with the amount of comments, as you would expect, so any help others can provide the course is much appreciated! 

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users