We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Silent Sundays - June 2015

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,387 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:48 PM

late Sun., 6-28

12:00 am ET
B/W
82 min
TV-PG
silent

In this silent film, Joan of Arc braves the threat of torture to stand fast for her beliefs.

DirCarl Th. Dreyer CastMaria Falconetti , Eugene Silvain , Antonin Artaud .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Carl Theodor Dreyer. Maria Falconetti, Eugene Sylvain, Maurice Schutz.

"Joan of Arc's inquisition, trial, and burning at the stake; the scenario is based on transcript of historical trial. Masterfully directed, with groundbreaking use of close-ups; Falconetti glows in the title role. Photographed by Rudolph Mate."

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#2 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,387 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

late Sun., 6-21

12:15 am ET
B/W
86 min
TV-G
silent

Sherlock Holmes faces off against Professor Moriarty.

DirAlbert Parker CastJohn Barrymore , Roland Young , Carol Dempster .

"Arthur Conan Doyle's legendary sleuth had appeared on screen a number of times in the early decades of cinema, but the 1922 feature Sherlock Holmes, starring John Barrymore, stands as the greatest of the silent-era versions."

#3 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,387 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

late Sun., 6-14

12:00 am ET
Color
129 min  (unfortunately)
TV-PG
silent
Greed (1924)

In this silent film, lust for gold tears apart a dentist and his wife.

DirErich von Stroheim CastGibson Gowland , ZaSu Pitts , Jean Hersholt .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Erich von Stroheim. Gibson Gowland, ZaSu Pitts, Jean Hersholt, Chester Conklin, Dale Fuller.

"Powerful adaptation of Frank Norris' novel McTeague, about a simple man whose wife's obsession with money eventually drives him to madness. Even though von Stroheim's version was taken from him and severely cut by the studio (it originally ran eight hours), this remains a stunning work, one of the greatest of all silent films. The final sequences in Death Valley are unforgettable. Reconstructed in 1999, using stills to cover long-lost footage; this version runs 242m."

Greed,_1924,_12_scale.jpg

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,956 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

Truncated? That's no good. I think we'll probably hold out for the restored version. It HAS to be on some time, right? Also I did watch The Big Parade and it was probably one of the best silent films I've ever seen. Sometimes it's hard for me to really get into a silent film, Metropolis being the one major exception but I was riveted by The Big Parade

Not too sure if TCM has access to a 'full length' version of GREED. You may want to ask about this on the Silent film sub-forum or over in General Discussions area, if you haven't done so already. Someone with more information might be able to help.

http://forums.tcm.co...orum/16-silent/

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 Doc755

Doc755

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:43 AM

Truncated? That's no good. I think we'll probably hold out for the restored version. It HAS to be on some time, right? Also I did watch The Big Parade and it was probably one of the best silent films I've ever seen. Sometimes it's hard for me to really get into a silent film, Metropolis being the one major exception but I was riveted by The Big Parade

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,956 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

Is TCM not showing their restored version of Greed? It's only scheduled for 135 minutes. My friend and I were excited to see it on the schedule but we want to see the 4 hour restored version

I believe it is the truncated version.

Welcome Doc!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 Doc755

Doc755

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

Is TCM not showing their restored version of Greed? It's only scheduled for 135 minutes. My friend and I were excited to see it on the schedule but we want to see the 4 hour restored version

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,956 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:23 PM

B/W
124 min
TV-G
silent

In this silent film, a French rebel masquerades as a clown so that he can avenge his friend's murder.

Yes, I'm looking forward to this one. I love the fact that Lewis Stone is in both versions, many years having elapsed in between.

• Ace of Hearts likes this

#9 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,387 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

airs late Sun., 6-7

B/W
124 min
TV-G
silent

In this silent film, a French rebel masquerades as a clown so that he can avenge his friend's murder.

DirRex Ingram CastLloyd Ingraham , Alice Terry , Ramon Novarro .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Rex Ingram. Cast: Ramon Novarro, Lewis Stone, Alice Terry, Lloyd Ingraham, Julia Swayne Gordon, William Humphrey, Otto Matiesen, George Siegman (Siegmann).

"Freedom-loving lawyer Novarro becomes a spokesman for the downtrodden in pre-Revolutionary France. He naturally runs afoul of dastardly marquis Stone, who has murdered his best friend and whose money and power has attracted Terry, the woman he loves. Absorbing adaptation of the Rafael Sabatini novel, although it pales beside the 1952 remake (which also features Stone, in a supporting role)."

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...e/articles.html

scaramouche-warner.jpg

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,956 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

I had not seen The Big Parade before it aired recently and I was drawn in.  I cried and cried.  What a film!

Amazing. We're lucky TCM has been able to show it in all its restored glory. 

Welcome to the boards. :)

#11 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:35 PM

I had not seen The Big Parade before it aired recently and I was drawn in.  I cried and cried.  What a film!

I know, right?! I have not cried so hard at a movie in a long time.

#12 jkbrenna

jkbrenna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

#13 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

Scaramouche is an excellent film, better than the sound remake in my opinion, though that movie is also good. I just prefer Ramon Novarro in the lead and think the romantic subplot and plot twist were handled much better in the silent version.

I've never seen Greed, though I love von Stroheim as a director so I am looking forward to doing so. However, is it the shortened version they're playing? I know the most complete cut that exists is four hours long.

Sherlock Holmes was, for me anyway, a disappointment. John Barrymore looks so bored in the title role, there's way too many intertitles, and Carol Dempster shares no chemistry with Barrymore.

The Passion of Joan of Arc is a classic though, a haunting look at the saint. Essential viewing.

#14 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,387 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:46 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users