We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Do anti-war films count as war films?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,900 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

Yes, George Peppard and George Hamilton were memorable in "Home From The Hill".

I do wish that TCM would show "The Victors".

Both films would be a great double bill.

And both films have impressive casts.

THE VICTORS is a Columbia release. Since TCM has a deal with Sony to broadcast Columbia pictures, I am surprised they haven't aired it.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:50 PM

Sounds interesting, Ray. A lot of George Peppard's motion picture work, with the exception of TIFFANY'S, is largely forgotten.

He and George Hamilton played brothers in HOME FROM THE HILL, so that title and THE VICTORS could make an interesting double feature one evening on TCM.

Yes, George Peppard and George Hamilton were memorable in "Home From The Hill".

I do wish that TCM would show "The Victors".

Both films would be a great double bill.

And both films have impressive casts.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,900 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

I remember Carl Foreman's "The Victors" as one of the greatest anti-war films - although, the film seems to have fallen into total obscurity - I remember being shocked when, in one of the earliest episodes, a young boy, obviously trying to stay alive, "propositioned" both soliders George Peppard and George Hamilton - it was a disturbing glimpse into what war could do to children - later on, when I saw this film again in the burbs, this "piece of horror" was missing from the film.

There was also a memorable sequence in which a spiritual hymn was played over a young deserter's execution.  

Sounds interesting, Ray. A lot of George Peppard's motion picture work, with the exception of TIFFANY'S, is largely forgotten.

He and George Hamilton played brothers in HOME FROM THE HILL, so that title and THE VICTORS could make an interesting double feature one evening on TCM.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

I remember Carl Foreman's "The Victors" as one of the greatest anti-war films - although, the film seems to have fallen into total obscurity - I remember being shocked when, in one of the earliest episodes, a young boy, obviously trying to stay alive, "propositioned" both soliders George Peppard and George Hamilton - it was a disturbing glimpse into what war could do to children - later on, when I saw this film again in the burbs, this "piece of horror" was missing from the film.

There was also a memorable sequence in which a spiritual hymn was played over a young deserter's execution.  

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,900 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

I vote yea.

Thanks for your vote RipMurdock. I'd forgotten all about this thread. :)

• rayban likes this

#6 RipMurdock

RipMurdock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

I vote yea.

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,900 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

I noticed that TCM aired an evening of anti-war films during the recent Memorial Day weekend marathon.

What do people think about anti-war films...? To me, they almost seem like a separate genre--or perhaps, a sub-genre.

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users