We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Can't upload a profile picture

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 MalcolmO

MalcolmO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

Continuing with strangeness, I could give a URL to my public Flickr image either.

Malcolm

"That's a Canadian for you; let them take their clothes off and they're happy." -- Bogart in High Atlantic

#2 MalcolmO

MalcolmO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

I found I (strangely) couldn't give a URL to a picture of me in my Dropbox. So I pirated one from Italy. But not of an Italian. Not even a fake Italian, if you know who I mean. The one who came to America by the Atlantic Auction.  ;)

Malcolm

"That's a Canadian for you; let them take their clothes off and they're happy." -- Bogart in High Atlantic

#3 tallhair

tallhair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCardinal Nation

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

You apparently have to load from a file server like imgur or photobucket.  Use the url link button.

Hi I'm tallhair and I have a problem

I don't post on classic movie sites often but when I do I like having an avatar instead of a silhouette when I do choose to post.  I don't know why this is important to me but it is and I see I'm not alone LOL

I haven't found the welcome wagon so I'll do it here until redirected.  I love Classic Movies, Mopars, playing poker, shooting pool, and watching snooker

P.S. It's not a button but a bar you post the url into .. good luck fellow newbies just explore your pic hosting site and find the right link to copy and paste and it will work.  You can't upload pics no matter how small.

#4 tallhair

tallhair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCardinal Nation

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

You apparently have to load from a file server like imgur or photobucket.  Use the url link button.

#5 dc1

dc1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ont.

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:59 AM

I can't either and I loaded ones under 50KB.

Either could I - using a pic that's 27kb.

Edit - finally had to use 'Postimage.org'

• HighVoltageDame likes this

"I saw a rain-dirty valley:

You saw Brigadoon."

#6 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

I can't get this to work either way; I tried resizing one of my photos to the proper size and adding it to my Flickr page to link here but it didn't work.

Welcome to the boards. Try uploading the picture to photobucket.

I'm a big boy.

#7 vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

I can't get this to work either way; I tried resizing one of my photos to the proper size and adding it to my Flickr page to link here but it didn't work.

Sharon

#8 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

The easiest way is to take a photo already posted on the internet somewhere and use that one. Nobody will know where it came from.

You can find the photo you want to use by doing an image search through a search engine. Then upload it from that.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#9 Tommie Udo

Tommie Udo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

I can't either and I loaded ones under 50KB.

#10 TCMModerator1

TCMModerator1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:56 AM

As some have noticed, threads of the same topic have been merged together. We do not have the ability to leave a redirect link when we do that, so I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Uploading a picture from your computer to use as your avatar is not working at the moment. Please upload to one of the many image hosting sites (many of which are free), and use the URL to get your chosen picture in here. 

#11 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,939 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

I had trouble changing mine today too.  I tried just uploading it and it didn't work.  I ended up having to upload the picture to TinyPic and then putting the TinyPic link into the URL box in order to upload my new pic. 

Same here, speedy, except that I used Photobucket.

Hey, shouldn't our two avatars be duelling with one another?

#12 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,939 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

Yes, and it was changed from a thread on its own to a post within the Can't Upload a Profile Picture thread. Pretty tricky, eh? No wonder I had a few problems finding it at first.

• mr6666 likes this

#13 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:57 AM

I noticed BOTH your avatar changes, Tom & Speedy in other threads. Like them both! Especially Errol in color!

I def think subjects that pertain to "fixing" how the board works -even your profile-should be in the message board "problem" or "instruction" sub-forums.

#14 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,306 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:58 PM

I had trouble changing mine today too.  I tried just uploading it and it didn't work.  I ended up having to upload the picture to TinyPic and then putting the TinyPic link into the URL box in order to upload my new pic. 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#15 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,674 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:07 PM

was it moved to PROBLEMS with the Message Boards?

:o

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#16 cinemafan

cinemafan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

Sherlock's looking good, Tom.

#17 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,939 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

Thanks very much for your assistances, mr6666 and Kid.

A little ironic, considering that I'm baffled by the mystery of how to post an avatar pix here, that my chosen image is one of Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes.

• mr6666 likes this

#18 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,674 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:04 PM

found this old 'sticky' from Lynn

5) Adding an avatar and changing your time zone.

Go to your name at the top of the page and a pull-down menu should appear.

post-8025-0-94056000-1396820090_thumb.jp

Click on My Profile and that should take you the Profile page. Once there, on the right corner you should see the "Edit My Profile" button:

post-8025-0-25194300-1396820356_thumb.jp

Click on that button and it should take you here:

post-8025-0-96558200-1396820616_thumb.jp

Click on the "Change Photo" button to add or change your avatar. Keep in mind that your avatar can only 50kb or smaller.

Right under that button is where you can change the time zone to match the one you are in. Just use the pull down menu to find your time zone.

Be sure to hit the "Save Changes" button at the bottom before leaving the page.

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#19 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:56 PM

Whooosshh!

Look down in the Problems with the Message Boards forum. It wasn't moved as a separate topic, it appears to have been melded with another poster's like problem.

That's pretty cool how they did that. I'm looking for that button...

FdX2C0H.gif

#20 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,939 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:42 PM

I created a thread this afternoon in Off Topic Chit Chat, and now it's gone.

It's title was, I believe, Changing My Avatar - What Have I Done Wrong?, or something close to that, at least. And I was asking how to change the pix in my avatar, with which I have had no luck. The last time I checked there was one response from Izcutter about the size of the photo used (which, unfortunately, didn't help me).

But now the thread is GONE! VANISHED! KAPUT!

Nor is there any indication here that it was moved to another forum. It appears to have been given the big heave ho.

Why?  It was an innocent question and I have great difficulty believing that something happened on the thread afterward to warrant being sent to the land of vanquished threads that are no more.

Anyone know what the heck happened to it? Hopefully this thread won't follow it into message board Siberia.

By the way, since I have your attention here, if anyone can tell me how to post a pix on my avatar it would be much appreciated. I've tried numerous times without any success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users