We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Daily Dose of Darkness #5: Soaking in Noir (The Opening Scene of Laura)

484 replies to this topic

#481 Shalae michelle

Shalae michelle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:37 AM

The introduction of Waldo Lydecker in this scene is very intriguing. The scene starts with him narrating what happens Laura is murdered as the camera scans through his extensive collection of priceless belongings. The detective looks like one out of a 1930s gangster film. When we are actually introduced to Mr. Lydecker he is in a fancy bathtub with a typewriter and papers. He is a very interesting character at this point.

#482 BeachGaBulldog

BeachGaBulldog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:29 AM

I have been meaning to see this film for a long time. The scene that I saw is the only one I have seen about the movie. I didn't particularly care how Waldo Lydecker was introduced. I like the shot of the camera spanning the room with the big clock.

#483 Popcorn97

Popcorn97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:29 AM

This opening reminds me of the opening to Hitchcock's "Rebecca" Almost by detail. This time its Laura's Husband telling the tail and not the new DeWinter from "Rebecca"  I was always told to view this movie that i would like it, I think both Rebecca and Laura have something in common they both have portraits of these women on the wall.  Looking forward to it.

#484 tedprior

tedprior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:44 PM

Excited for an excuse to rewatch Laura!

• The Working Dead and crawfordgirl like this

#485 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationBall State University

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

Please use this topic to post your comments and discussions of the clip from Daily Dose of Darkness #5: the Opening Scene of Laura. FYI...this Daily Dose won't be delivered till Monday morning, June 8. I put this topic up early to eliminate the need for students to start this topic. Be patient, your Daily Dose will arrive shortly!

Thanks! Prof. Edwards

• SueSueApplegate and Grendell like this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: The Master of Suspense: 50 Years of Hitchcock (2017)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users