We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Favorite Western Movie Cliches

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Flashalex

Flashalex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:15 AM

Two of my favorites are 1) The "6-shooter" that never seem to need reloading and 2) The "Winchester" rifle capable of killing 3 to 8 Indians with one shot. LOL By my calculations, there should be no Indians left in the "Old West". LOL

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

The good guy/hero always draws second in the gunfight, but still kills the villan.

You're right. He has to be the most skilled with a gun, or else he won't be seen as a hero in anyone's eyes. :)

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,346 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

The good guy/hero always draws second in the gunfight, but still kills the villan.

#4 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,346 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

I forgot I started this thread, lol.

One of the worst Western cliches, is the depiction of the Mexican population.  In most Westerns, the Mexican people are either bandits or poor farmers.  

Hey, didn't somebody rounning for President say that?

• speedracer5 likes this

#5 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

I forgot I started this thread, lol.

One of the worst Western cliches, is the depiction of the Mexican population.  In most Westerns, the Mexican people are either bandits or poor farmers.  

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:36 AM

Yeah.  But it is a cliche.

Yes, most cliches occur in westerns because the writers are sticking to a specific formula. They are bound by the structure of the story and making sure it lasts for 60 or 90 minutes. 

Then we have filmmakers from the 60s and 70s who try to shake up the western by adding all kinds of post-code violence. But even that becomes a cliche...dragging out a film by throwing in a succession of bloody gunfights and corpses.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,427 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

While some screenwriters might try to use the 'he is too proud' reasoning to explain illogical \ irrational behavior,  in most cases such behavior is just a plot device so that there can be a story that last more than 10 minutes.

• TopBilled likes this

#8 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

Because there would be no plot and the movie would be over in ten minutes. 

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:48 PM

But, he won't try to clear his name or say anything to help his case because .... (I dunno), he's too proud?  

Because there would be no plot and the movie would be over in ten minutes. 

#10 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:57 PM

And usually he is falsely accused of murder and must clear his name before he gets the girl and gets to settle down for good.

But, he won't try to clear his name or say anything to help his case because .... (I dunno), he's too proud?  

• TopBilled likes this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

Then there's the time worn tale of the gunfighter who's trying to mend his ways and settle down to a normal life. John Wayne in "The Angel and the Badman" or Gregory Peck in "The Gunfighter" to name a few...

And usually he is falsely accused of murder and must clear his name before he gets the girl and gets to settle down for good.

#12 fredbaetz

fredbaetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

Then there's the time worn tale of the gunfighter who's trying to mend his ways and settle down to a normal life. John Wayne in "The Angel and the Badman" or Gregory Peck in "The Gunfighter" to name a few...

• TopBilled likes this

#13 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:08 AM

What about in B westerns where there is a corrupt landowner who tries to steal farms and push ranchers off their property...especially when water rights or mining rights are involved.

And if he has 20,000 acres he can't abide anyone staying on two acres while they rest up before they continue on. He's always afraid they are staying.

• TopBilled likes this

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

...especially when water rights or mining rights are involved.

Speaking of water rights, this always happens when there's a drought.

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:09 PM

And he sports a mustache and wears a suit - looking spiffy and properly villainous.

Yup, gotta love those spiffy suits! And notice, they always have about two or three henchmen who follow orders to a tee.

#16 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,294 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

One line that I've heard so many times, both on TV and in the movies, is when someone is telling where a family lives.  The line is "They live in the old Johnson (or some other name) place. 

#17 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

What about in B westerns where there is a corrupt landowner who tries to steal farms and push ranchers off their property...especially when water rights or mining rights are involved.

And he sports a mustache and wears a suit - looking spiffy and properly villainous.

• TopBilled likes this

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

#19 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

The taciturn hero who refuses to explain his innocence, or the circumstances surrounding whatever it is he is accused of, allowing the woman he loves, and others, to think he's guilty.  

#20 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:04 PM

Westerns are full of cliches, Blazing Saddles and the most recent A Million Ways to Die in the West both make fun of all the cliche characters and plotlines that make up many classic Westerns. 

These are some of my favorite:

1) The eternal war between the "sheep people" and "cow people."

2) The sultry saloon singer and slutty dance hall girls

3) The classic saloon brawl

4) The spinster woman who initially rebuffs the newcomer's advances (the newcomer usually becoming the sheriff) only to be won over later.

5) The duel at dusk

What are your favorites?

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users