We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Top 10 Favorite Romance Films

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:42 AM

Here are my top 10 favorite romantic films:

1. Casablanca

2. The African Queen

3. Now, Voyager

4. Penny Serenade

5. Hannah and Her Sisters

6. Manhattan

7. Hold Back The Dawn

8. Marriage Italian Style

9. Knight Without Armour

10. Random Harvest

Nice list, Marsha. I'd put RANDOM HARVEST a bit higher. I think it is perfectly romantic.

Greer and Colman-- doesn't get any better. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 MarshaKatz

MarshaKatz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,214 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

Here are my top 10 favorite romantic films:

1. Casablanca

2. The African Queen

3. Now, Voyager

4. Penny Serenade

5. Hannah and Her Sisters

6. Manhattan

7. Hold Back The Dawn

8. Marriage Italian Style

9. Knight Without Armour

10. Random Harvest

• TopBilled likes this

#3 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:13 AM

Funny but I have discussed many of your choices with my Italian wife as to how romantic these films are.   So here is the opinion from someone that comes from the country of known for lovers;

Casablanca - would have been romantic if Bergman would have left her husband and gone off with Bogie

An Affair to Remember -  let's see; movie ends with one guy dead and the other not really interested in changing to stay with her.   Too gals sailing away don't look real happy.

Now Voyager -  would have been romantic if the wife had died so Bette and Henreid could do more than just smoke

Sabrina - Bogie instead of Holden????   Enough said

Roman Holiday - Honor over Peck???   Ditch the crown and live life!

As for DiCapino movies;   I'm surprised Titanic wasn't listed.  What is more romantic than your lover being an icicle.

(note the above is all is jest,  but I do have to point out to her that a movie can be romantic even if the ending is somewhat of a bummer).

I think your synopsis for An Affair to Remember belongs with From Here to Eternity.

Lol.  I can see where your wife is coming from, it depends on how you look at the film.  For me though, I'm more on your side, I look at the overall film and the overall feeling I get from the film, even if their romance ends up fizzling out or what not.  In Casablanca, it could be argued that it was a romantic ending in that Bogie knew that Bergman was better off with Henreid.  Even though they had that great romance, I think Bogie was genuinely hurt by Bergman's actions.  Even though it seemed that Bergman wanted to rekindle things with him, I don't think Bogie could get past her abandoning him at the train station without an explanation.  She neglected to tell him that she was married, but her husband was gone.  The famous airport scene was Bogie taking the high road and also letting Bergman down easy. 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

What are your Top 10 Favorite Romantic Films?

Here are mine:

1. Casablanca

2. An Affair to Remember

3. From Here to Eternity

4. Now, Voyager

5. Sabrina

6. The Princess Bride

7. Roman Holiday

8. Romeo & Juliet (the 1996 version with Leonardo DiCaprio & Claire Danes)

9. Love Actually (I know, I know. But I like this movie :-P)

10. Beauty and the Beast (Disney)

There are so many others.  Romance is such a loose term that films from many genres would qualify.

Funny but I have discussed many of your choices with my Italian wife as to how romantic these films are.   So here is the opinion from someone that comes from the country of known for lovers;

Casablanca - would have been romantic if Bergman would have left her husband and gone off with Bogie

From Here to Eternity  -  let's see; movie ends with one guy dead and the other not really interested in changing to stay with her.   Too gals sailing away don't look real happy.

Now Voyager -  would have been romantic if the wife had died so Bette and Henreid could do more than just smoke

Sabrina - Bogie instead of Holden????   Enough said

Roman Holiday - Honor over Peck???   Ditch the crown and live life!

As for DiCapino movies;   I'm surprised Titanic wasn't listed.  What is more romantic than your lover being an icicle.

(note the above is all is jest,  but I do have to point out to her that a movie can be romantic even if the ending is somewhat of a bummer).

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:55 PM

Not sure if I'd list some of your choices. Personally, I'd put LOVE AFFAIR (1939) over the remake, AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER. I also like MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW, because despite the tragic fate experienced by the elderly couple (Beulah Bondi & Victor Moore) they retain their deep abiding love and affection for one another, right up to the end (and probably beyond).

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:19 PM

What are your Top 10 Favorite Romantic Films?

Here are mine:

1. Casablanca

2. An Affair to Remember

3. From Here to Eternity

4. Now, Voyager

5. Sabrina

6. The Princess Bride

7. Roman Holiday

8. Romeo & Juliet (the 1996 version with Leonardo DiCaprio & Claire Danes)

9. Love Actually (I know, I know. But I like this movie :-P)

10. Beauty and the Beast (Disney)

There are so many others.  Romance is such a loose term that films from many genres would qualify.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users