We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#1 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Lola was also very good in a 1964 episode of the The Dick Van Dyke Show titled "How to Spank a Star", in which she played a manipulative and spoiled diva of a guest star on that program's imagined Alan Brady Show, and which Dick Van Dyke's character Rob Petrie must put up with for the week of rehearsals.

#2 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

http://www.hollywood...s-was-92-988635

Lola Albright, the charming actress with the smoky voice who sang and starred on TV's Peter Gunn and was spurned by the back-stabbing Kirk Douglas in the classic 1949 boxing drama Champion, has died. She was 92.

Albright died Thursday in the Toluca Lake enclave of Los Angeles, the Akron Beacon-Journal reported. She was born and raised in the Ohio city.

Albright was perhaps best known for playing the sultry singer Edie Hart, the girlfriend of private eye Craig Stevens, on all three seasons of the Blake Edwards NBC-ABC series Peter Gunn. She received an Emmy Award nomination in 1959 for her work.

While the series was on the air, Albright released the album Dreamsville, backed by Henry Mancini’s orchestra (he, of course, composed the theme song for Peter Gunn), in 1959. She had done an album two years earlier, Lola Wants You.

On the big screen, the blue-eyed blonde was memorable in a leading role as an aging burlesque stripper who seduces a teenager (Scott Marlowe) in A Cold Wind in August (1961), and she received the best actress award at the Berlin Film Festival for portraying Tuesday Weld's suicidal mother in Lord Love a Duck (1966).

In Champion, an adaptation of a Ring Lardner story, Albright played the spoiled Palmer Harris, the wife of a manipulating boxing manager, who falls for fighter "Midge" Kelly (the Oscar-nominated Douglas). The manager offers Kelly a bigger percentage of the gate to leave his wife alone, which the boxer agrees to, leaving Palmer devastated.

Albright also appeared on the big screen in Tulsa (1949), The Good Humor Man (1950) — opposite her future husband, Jack Carson — The Killer That Stalked New York (1950), Frank Sinatra's The Tender Trap (1955), The Impossible Years (1968), Elvis Presley's Kid Galahad (1962), Joy House (1964), Douglas' The Way West (1967) and Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968).

She stepped in for Dorothy Malone, who had suffered a pulmonary embolism, to play Constance for several episodes of ABC's Peyton Place in 1965-66.

Albright was born on July 20, 1924, in Akron. She graduated from West High School in 1942, worked as a receptionist at radio stations and was discovered by a talent scout while she was modeling in Chicago.

Albright made her big-screen debut in The Unfinished Dance (1947), starring the youngster Margaret O'Brien, and appeared in two Judy Garland movies, The Pirate and Easter Parade, the following year.

Albright played Bob Cummings' love interest on his 1955-57 NBC-CBS comedy and guest-starred on such shows as Lux Video Theatre, Panic!, The Beverly Hillbillies, Branded, Burke's Law, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Columbo and Airwolf.

Albright was married to Carson from 1952-58 and then to Bill Chadney, who played her pianist at the bar called Mother's on Peter Gunn, from 1961-71. (Chadney also owned L.A. restaurant-clubs that bore his name). Both marriages ended in divorce.

Vzx9H0X.jpg

• Bogie56, Dargo and LawrenceA like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#3 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

I have heard that those are the most important aspects also of kisses.

;)

Reminds me of the old saying, Sans:

"Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."

(...and I also usually add, "...and dancing" to that whenever I say this old saw, hence the reason your thought reminded me of it)

#4 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,850 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

Probably due to the same thing they say are the three things most important about real estate, Hibi:

"Location, location, location"!

I have heard that those are the most important aspects also of kisses.

• Dargo likes this

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#5 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,315 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Tomas Milian (1933-2017) - Cuban born actor who immigrated to the US to study at the Actor's Studio before moving to Italy where he became a naturalized citizen. He made his film debut in 1959, but really came into his own in the spaghetti western and giallo genres. Among his notable films are Boccaccio '70 (1962), The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965), The Big Gundown (1966), Companeros (1970), The Last Movie (1971), Don't Torture a Duckling (1972), Four of the Apocalypse (1975), Cop in Blue Jeans (1976), Winter Kills (1979), Revenge (1990), JFK (1991), Amistad (1997), Traffic (2000) and The Lost City (2005). Milian compiled over 120 credits in film and television. 

Burnayanoch1959XviDDVDRipfenixclubavi_sn

36747_ppl.jpg000TRF_Tomas_Milian_003.jpg

• Bogie56 likes this

#6 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

How did you get on so many game shows???

Probably due to the same thing they say are the three things most important about real estate, Hibi:

"Location, location, location"!

In other words, having resided in SoCal all those years, and a location where most game/quiz shows are produced, it would make it not only easier for me to apply as a contestant, but the programs' producers also like this fact, as it also makes scheduling a local resident's taping more convenient for them.

(...and of course not also taking into consideration that my handsome visage AND sparking personality would make their selection of me to be on their various programs a no-brainer to begin with!!!)   ;)

LOL

#7 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Four all together, Lawrence.

The previously mentioned The Dating Game in '71; in 1973 the ABC network's quiz show Split Second(1972-75) hosted by Tom Kennedy(won $550 on that one); in 1980 the Barry-Enright syndicated quiz show Bullseye(1980-82) hosted by my old Dating Game buddy Jim Lange(won $10,500 on that one); and finally a very short-lived quiz show titled Couch Potatoes hosted by Marc Summers in 1989, and with my "lovely parting gift" being a Lazy Boy recliner on that one.

(...oh, and no...unfortunately I could never find any of my appearances on YouTube or anyplace else on the internet)

How did you get on so many game shows???

#8 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,559 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

The previously mentioned The Dating Game in '71; in 1973 the ABC network's quiz show Split Second(1972-75) hosted by Tom Kennedy(won $550 on that one); in 1980 the Barry-Enright syndicated quiz show Bullseye(1980-82) hosted by my old Dating Game buddy Jim Lange(won $10,500 on that one); and finally a very short-lived quiz show titled Couch Potatoes hosted by Marc Summers in 1989, and with my "lovely parting gift" being a Lazy Boy recliner on that one.

(...oh, and no...unfortunately I could never find any of my appearances on YouTube or anyplace else on the internet)

Sometimes you can get dubs from the networks.  Might be worth checking out.

#9 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

How many game show appearances did you make? And is your ep of Dating Game on YouTube?

• GGGGerald and LawrenceA like this

#10 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,315 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

In 1971 and when I was 19 y/o, I briefly met Chuck Barris when I auditioned for and was picked as a Dating Game contestant. My very first game show appearance.

How many game show appearances did you make? And is your ep of Dating Game on YouTube?

#11 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

In 1971 and when I was 19 y/o, I briefly met Chuck Barris when I auditioned for and was picked as a Dating Game contestant. My very first game show appearance.

(...yeah, thaaaat's right...I was on that dumb show, and the "lovely bachelorette" picked me from the other two young goofballs on stage...our date consisted of going to Ensenada Mexico...and because we were under 21, we were accompanied by a chaperone...an "older woman" in her late twenties...and I remember being MUCH more interested in HER than I was my date)

• GGGGerald likes this

#12 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:50 AM

http://variety.com/2...ost-1202013790/

Chuck Barris, who hosted “The Gong Show” and created “The Dating Game” and “The Newlywed Game,” died Tuesday of natural causes in Palisades, N.Y., his publicist confirmed. He was 87.

His autobiography, “Confessions of a Dangerous Mind,” was made into a film directed by George Clooney and starred Sam Rockwell as Barris. In the book (subtitled “An Unauthorized Autobiography”), he claimed to have worked for the CIA as an assassin during the 1960s and ’70s, a claim which the CIA denied. “He also fabricated his life because it might have been the best way of getting at the truth. The truth was that back when he was the Jerry Springer of his day, he couldn’t stomach being attacked for doing something he considered harmless,” wrote Joel Stein in Time magazine.

The multi-talented game show creator was also a songwriter, writing songs such as “Palisades Park” as well as music for his game shows.

Born Charles Hirsch Barris in Philadelphia, he started out working as a page at NBC in New York, then worked backstage at “American Bandstand.” “Palisades Park” was recorded by Freddy Cannon and hit No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

He formed Chuck Barris Productions in 1965 and created “The Dating Game,” hosted by Jim Lange, which introduced swinging 1960s double entendres to the formerly staid game show genre and ran for 11 out of the next 15 years. In 1966 he launched “The Newlywed Game,” hosted by Bob Eubanks, which ran for 19 years; Game Show Network still airs a version of the show.

Barris finally made it in front of the camera when he began hosting “The Gong Show” in 1976. Though it only ran two years on NBC and four years in syndication, the show is still remembered for its wacky spoof of the talent show format. He introduced the amateur contestants dressed in colorful clothing with odd props, with judges Jamie Farr, Jaye P. Morgan and Arte Johnson adding to the goofy atmosphere. Other offbeat characters on the show included “Gene Gene the Dancing Machine” and Murray Langston, the “Unknown Comic,” who wore a paper bag over his head.

• Dargo and LawrenceA like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#13 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

http://www.hollywood...y-was-86-987230

Lawrence Montaigne, who played a Romulan and then a Vulcan on episodes of the original Star Trek and at one point was lined up to replace Leonard Nimoy on the series, has died. He was 86.

Montaigne, who also appeared in the Steve McQueen war classic The Great Escape (1963) and on TV's Batman as a robot controlled by the Joker, died Friday, his daughter, Jessica, reported on Facebook.

Montaigne portrayed Decius on "Balance of Terror," the first-season, December 1966 episode that introduced the Romulan race — he has a memorable line, "Permit me the glory of the kill" — then played the Vulcan character Stonn on the second-season opener, "Amok Time," in September 1967.

In a 2012 interview with the website StarTrek.com, the actor said that between the first and second seasons of the NBC show, Nimoy was in talks to join the CBS crime drama Mission: Impossible and producers wanted Montaigne to replace him (perhaps as Spock or as another character) if indeed he departed.

"They did the contracts and the whole thing, but there was a stipulation in the contract that said if Leonard comes back, then the whole thing is over," he recalled. "I was going on the assumption that I was going to play Spock when my agent called and said, 'Leonard is coming back to do the show. He's in and you're out.'

"A week or two later, they called me to do this role of Stonn, who was a Vulcan. It all boiled down to the fact that Leonard and I looked alike to a great extent. I guess that's what they were looking for with Stonn."

In the StarTrek.com interview, Montaigne said that after Nimoy returned, "I moved on. This was the 1960s, and I was doing a whole bunch of shows and films and having the time of my life. So, when Spock didn't happen, it really didn't change my life in any way."

In The Great Escape, directed by John Sturges, Montaigne played the Canadian P.O.W. Haynes, one of the prisoners who doesn't get out alive.

Born in Brooklyn and raised in Rome, Montaigne early in his career appeared on Broadway, worked as a stuntman fencer in Scaramouche (1952) and danced in The Band Wagon (1953), starring Fred Astaire.

On ABC's Batman, he played Mr. Glee, a lifelike robot who becomes a bank teller at the behest of the felonious funnyman the Joker (Cesar Romero). Montaigne appeared often on television, with roles on such shows as The Outer Limits, Burke's Law, Hogan's Heroes, Dr. Kildare, The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The F.B.I. and McCloud.

His body of film work also includes Tobruk (1967), The Power (1968), The Psycho Lover (1970) and Escape to Witch Mountain (1975).

Montaigne wrote novels as well as an autobiography, 2006's A Vulcan Odyssey.

Zw6tzWU.jpg

AjSFwm3.jpg

• Bogie56 and Dargo like this

gq1BVs3.jpg

#14 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

And then there was the classic 1978 "Saturday Night Live" episode in which Steve Martin played a psychic predicting news stories. He noted that the Voyager 1 spacecraft -- which had been dispatched to the far reaches of outer space a year earlier -- was stocked with sound samples. He said music was included, too -- "everything from classical to Chuck Berry."

The psychic predicted that an upcoming issue of Time magazine would feature a four-word response from alien beings:

send-more-chuck-berry.jpg?w=660&h=412

• Dargo likes this

#15 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

TCM should do a Berry tribute, including the 1956 film "Rock, Rock, Rock!" and Taylor Hackford's 1987 documentary "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll."

THE FATHER OF ROCK 'N ROLL

WE OWE SO MUCH TO CHUCK BERRY - - without him there would be no Beatles; there would be no Beach Boys; there would be no Stones-- there would be no nothing--

Everyone in Rock 'n Roll had to start somewhere and everyone started with Chuck Berry. Everyone had to play Chuck Berry to prove that they knew how to play rock and roll. And then they went on from there--

Chuck Berry set the standard and we should all be grateful for his tremendous contribution to American popular culture and music.

BTW-- My favorite Chuck Berry song is "Havana Moon". If you've never heard it, you've never heard the "Deep Feeling" of Chuck Berry's music. Santana has a beautiful version of it.
  • jakeem, mr6666 and Dargo like this

#16 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

TCM should do a Berry tribute, including the 1956 film "Rock, Rock, Rock!" and Taylor Hackford's 1987 documentary "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll."

• Dargo and LawrenceA like this

#17 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

https://www.nytimes....ician-dies.html

Chuck Berry, who with his indelible guitar licks, brash self-confidence and memorable songs about cars, girls and wild dance parties did as much as anyone to define rock ’n’ roll’s potential and attitude in its early years, died on Saturday. He was 90.

The St. Charles County Police Department in Missouri confirmed his death on its Facebook page. The department said it responded to a medical emergency at a home and he was declared dead after lifesaving measures were unsuccessful.

While Elvis Presley was rock’s first pop star and teenage heartthrob, Mr. Berry was its master theorist and conceptual genius, the songwriter who understood what the kids wanted before they did themselves. With songs like “Johnny B. Goode” and “Roll Over Beethoven,” he gave his listeners more than they knew they were getting from jukebox entertainment.

His guitar lines wired the lean twang of country and the bite of the blues into phrases with both a streamlined trajectory and a long memory. And tucked into the lighthearted, telegraphic narratives that he sang with such clear enunciation was a sly defiance, upending convention to claim the pleasures of the moment.

OycKg8R.jpg

• jakeem, mr6666, Dargo and 2 others like this

gq1BVs3.jpg

#18 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Thank you for those photos, Richard.  She was on a Tales of Wells Fargo episode from 1958 tonight which showed how beautiful-and slender-she was back then.  Yours show that the figure might have expanded but the beauty never did.     

#19 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

Miriam Colon Dies at 80

Miriam Colon, a pioneering actress in U.S. Latino New York theater who starred in films alongside Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, died Friday.

Her husband, Fred Valle, told The Associated Press that Colon died early Friday in a New York hospital because of complications from a pulmonary infection. She was 80 years old.

JVKB3ru.jpg

1OaYhxv.jpg

gq1BVs3.jpg

#20 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Miriam Colon Dies at 80

Miriam Colon, a pioneering actress in U.S. Latino New York theater who starred in films alongside Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, died Friday.

Her husband, Fred Valle, told The Associated Press that Colon died early Friday in a New York hospital because of complications from a pulmonary infection. She was 80 years old.

Colon — whose image appeared on posters throughout the American Southwest for her role in the 2013 movie adaptation of quintessential Chicano novel Bless Me, Ultima — had been active as late as 2015 with a cameo appearance on the AMC-TV series Better Call Saul.

Born in Ponce, Puerto Rico, Colon participated in the theater during her school years and was allowed to audit classes in the drama department at the University of Puerto Rico before she graduated from high school

I remember this lady from Scarface and a charming episode of Gunsmoke where Mariette Hartley and she try to keep their men from killing each other over a "matter of honor" before the little daughter of one does the trick.  These were only two of performances too numerous to mention.

Puerto Ricans:  You've given us Raul Julia and Miriam Colon?  What's in your water? 

• LawrenceA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users