We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#1 Arsan404

Arsan404

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:19 PM

Director Jonathan Demme, who won an Oscar for his work on THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991), died this morning in New York, due to complications from esophageal cancer and heart disease. He was 73.

Demme was one of the more versatile directors of his generation; getting his start as a protégé of Roger Corman, Demme began writing and directing a string of exploitation films such as CAGED HEAT (1974) and CRAZY MAMA (1975) in the 1970s. Demme subsequently directed dramas (PHILADELPHIA [1993]), comedies (SWING SHIFT [1984], RACHEL GETTING MARRIED [2008]) and thrillers (THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE [2004]).

Indiewire remembers Jonathan Demme here: http://www.indiewire...mbs-1201809289/.

Sad to read he died.

Jonathan Demme, like Mike Nichols, had the ability to get good performances from his cast. He also like to show the peculiar side of people, of life. Matthew Modine getting dressed in Married to the Mob deserved a scene and our attention; and Jason Robards showed us the Howard Hughes of life and myth in Melvin and Howard.

#2 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:12 PM

I don't remember Miss Crowley, but I'm sure I saw her many times on Maverick.

However, the photo you have is a photo of my favorite Warner Brothers TV actress Cricket Blake, AKA Connie Stevens.

Roger_Moore_Kathleen_Crowley_Maverick_19

Mea culpa! Here's a photo for sure of Kathleen Crowley and Roger Moore, who played Beau Maverick.

#3 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,178 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:25 PM

However, the photo you have is a photo of my favorite Warner Brothers TV actress Cricket Blake, AKA Connie Stevens.

Good catch, Princess. Here's an image of Kathleen Crowley with Jack Kelly

JKJeweledGunSm.JPG

324e0d4e5591ae5b540fe888877e6806.jpg

#4 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,512 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:59 PM

So sorry to hear this. I remember her from numerous appearances on "Maverick."

According to IMDb, she appeared in eight episodes:

• "The Jeweled Gun" (1957, with Jack Kelly and James Garner). As Daisy Harris (aka Daisy Haskell).
  • "Maverick Springs" (1959, with Kelly and Garner). As Melanie Blake.
  • "The Misfortune Teller" (1960, with Garner). As Melanie Blake.
  • "A Bullet for the Teacher" (1960, with Roger Moore). As Flo Baker.
  • "Kiz" (1960, with Moore). as Kiz Bouchet.
  • "Dade City Dodge" (1961, with Kelly). As Marla.
  • "The Troubled Heir" (1962, with Kelly). As Marla.
  • "One of Our Trains Is Missing" (1962, with Kelly). As Marla / Melanie Blake/ Modesty Blaine.
photo-full.jpg
Crowley with James Garner as Bret Maverick

#5 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,912 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted Yesterday, 02:53 PM

So sorry to here about Jonathan Demme. He directed some great films. It's too bad his last film was a disappointment. :(

#6 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,178 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:04 PM

• "The Jeweled Gun" (1957, with Jack Kelly and James Garner). As Daisy Harris (aka Daisy Haskell).
  • "One of Our Trains Is Missing" (1962, with Kelly). As Marla / Melanie Blake/ Modesty Blaine.
photo-full.jpg

I agree. Maverick was the first thing on my mind, too, when I heard of Kathleen Crowley's death. She was a pleasure to watch in that series, her characters beautiful, droll, usually duplicitous. Memory tells me that in an episode like Maverick Springs (one of the best of the series) she used her beauty and feminine charm to bewitch and try to out wit the Maverick brothers. It was particularly wonderful to watch her match her considerable skills against James Garner's wily Bret. The fact that she was invited back to appear in the series as often as she was (Crowley being one of the most frequent guest players in the series) speaks to this little remembered actress's great effectiveness on the show.

RIP, beautiful lady.

• jakeem likes this

#7 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario

Posted Yesterday, 12:43 PM

In an odd coincidence of timing, Demme directed some months back an episode of the Fox drama series Shots Fired, starring Helen Hunt and Richard Dreyfuss, and that episode will premiere tonight. It is Demme's last directorial credit, according to IMDB.

• jakeem likes this

#8 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Demme also directed eight actors to Academy Award nominations (four of them won):

• Jason Robards in "Melvin and Howard" (1980). Best Supporting Actor.
  • Mary Steenburgen in "Melvin and Howard" (1980). Best Supporting Actress.
  • Christine Lahti in "Swing Shift" (1984). Best Supporting Actress.
  • Dean Stockwell in "Married to the Mob" (1988). Best Supporting Actor.

• Sir Anthony Hopkins in "The Silence of the Lambs" (1991). Best Actor.
  • Jodie Foster in "The Silence of the Lambs" (1991). Best Actress.
  • Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia" (1993). Best Actor.
  • Anne Hathaway in "Rachel Getting Married" (2008). Best Actress.

#9 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Jonathan Demme directed the 1984 Talking Heads concert film "Stop Making Sense," which featured the group's energetic and creative lead singer David Byrne. 

"The film is good to look at," wrote Chicago Sun-Times film critic Roger Ebert. "Instead of the standard phony cutaways to the audience (phony because, nine times out of ten, the audience members are not actually reacting to the moment in the music that we're hearing), Demme keeps his cameras trained on the stage. And when Byrne and company use the stage-level lights to create a shadow play behind them, the result is surprisingly more effective than you might imagine: It's a live show with elements of 'Metropolis'."

#10 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario

Posted Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Director Jonathan Demme, who won an Oscar for his work on THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991), died this morning in New York, due to complications from esophageal cancer and heart disease. He was 73.

Demme was one of the more versatile directors of his generation; getting his start as a protégé of Roger Corman, Demme began writing and directing a string of exploitation films such as CAGED HEAT (1974) and CRAZY MAMA (1975) in the 1970s. Demme subsequently directed dramas (PHILADELPHIA [1993]), comedies (SWING SHIFT [1984], RACHEL GETTING MARRIED [2008]) and thrillers (THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE [2004]).

Indiewire remembers Jonathan Demme here: http://www.indiewire...mbs-1201809289/.

• LawrenceA likes this

#11 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

Kathleen Crowley (1929-2017) - Former film and TV actress Kathleen Crowley has died at the age of 87. Her career was relatively brief, starting in the 1950's, with her final appearance in 1970. During that time she appeared in TV series such as Perry MasonBourbon Street BeatHawaiian Eye77 Sunset StripMy Three SonsBonanza, Rawhide, Thriller, Batman, Route 66 and many more. Her film career included Target Earth (1954), City of Shadows (1955), Female Jungle (1958), Curse of the Undead (1959) and Downhill Racer (1969). 

photo-full.jpg

• TomJH and LawrenceA like this

#12 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,388 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

2234fcf662c539d32027ca28e2f1a44d.jpg

Obviously that's a publicity still from Curse of the Undead, but I can't help thinking it would have been more effective if Michael Pate was biting her in the neck.

I'm a big boy.

#13 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

Kathleen Crowley (1929-2017) - Former film and TV actress Kathleen Crowley has died at the age of 87. Her career was relatively brief, starting in the 1950's, with her final appearance in 1970. During that time she appeared in TV series such as Perry MasonBourbon Street BeatHawaiian Eye77 Sunset StripMy Three SonsBonanza, Rawhide, Thriller, Batman, Route 66 and many more. Her film career included Target Earth (1954), City of Shadows (1955), Female Jungle (1958), Curse of the Undead (1959) and Downhill Racer (1969). 

178bf368ff5eb03bb44b2656b45b91f1.jpg

2234fcf662c539d32027ca28e2f1a44d.jpg

#14 Eλευθερί

Eλευθερί

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:55 PM

​Clifton James, a veteran actor who appeared as Sheriff J.W. Pepper in two James Bond films, died Saturday morning at age 96.

James died just blocks away from his childhood home, surrounded by friends and family, loved ones told Variety in a statement.

Clifton was born in 1920, the eldest child of Grace and Harry James, and grew up just outside Portland, Oregon during the heart of the Great Depression.

According to relatives, he fought for five years on the front lines of the South Pacific, earning two Purple Hearts and a Silver Star for his service during World War II.

His acting career spanned nearly six decades, and included theater, film, and television. First appearing on stage in “The Time of Your Life,” he would go on to perform in several Broadway shows, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning drama “All The Way Home.”

James most famous role came on film. He appeared in two James Bond films opposite Roger Moore: “Live and Let Die” (1973) and “The Man with the Golden Gun” (1974). He portrayed the crowing Louisiana sheriff, J.W. Pepper (pictured). James would play similar Southern lawman in numerous other roles during his career, including “Silver Streak” and “Superman II”

Among his other film credits included “Cool Hand Luke,” “Eight Men Out” and “The Bonfire of the Vanities.”

QHyjQwF.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

I think that for my generation, James' was the definitive **** Southern sheriff. (Andy Griffith's was another iconic sheriff, but not really "****" and definitely not as deep-fried Southern.)

Funny to see that he was from Oregon and lived most of his adult life in New York.

I was also surprised to see that he had been in several films that I had not recognized him in, or remembered him being in, including The Untouchables, Bonfire of the Vanities, and Cool Hand Luke.

edit: I guess the forum does not allow you to use the pejorative that starts with red- and ends with -eck.

eleutheri

#15 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:22 PM

Erin Moran started her acting career with the TV series "Daktari".

It appears that Cheryl Miller is the last surviving human member of the "Daktari" cast. As far as I can tell, Judy the Chimp -- also used as Debbie the Bloop in the TV series "Lost in Space" and as Stanley in Disney's 1965 comedy "The Monkey's Uncle" -- is still with us.

#16 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,525 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:24 PM

Erin Moran started her acting career with the TV series "Daktari".

daktari.jpg

erin-moran-judy-the-chimp-daktari-season

erin-moran-marshall-thompson-daktari-sea

• GGGGerald likes this

#17 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

Erin Moran, who famously played Joanie Cunningham on "Happy Days" and its spinoff "Joanie Loves Chachi", has died at 56

AYtDxrg.jpg

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#18 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

​Clifton James, a veteran actor who appeared as Sheriff J.W. Pepper in two James Bond films, died Saturday morning at age 96.

James died just blocks away from his childhood home, surrounded by friends and family, loved ones told Variety in a statement.

Clifton was born in 1920, the eldest child of Grace and Harry James, and grew up just outside Portland, Oregon during the heart of the Great Depression.

According to relatives, he fought for five years on the front lines of the South Pacific, earning two Purple Hearts and a Silver Star for his service during World War II.

His acting career spanned nearly six decades, and included theater, film, and television. First appearing on stage in “The Time of Your Life,” he would go on to perform in several Broadway shows, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning drama “All The Way Home.”

James most famous role came on film. He appeared in two James Bond films opposite Roger Moore: “Live and Let Die” (1973) and “The Man with the Golden Gun” (1974). He portrayed the crowing Louisiana sheriff, J.W. Pepper (pictured). James would play similar Southern lawman in numerous other roles during his career, including “Silver Streak” and “Superman II”

Among his other film credits included “Cool Hand Luke,” “Eight Men Out” and “The Bonfire of the Vanities.”

QHyjQwF.jpg

• Bogie56, GGGGerald and LawrenceA like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#19 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

Dorothy Mengering (1921-2017) - Better known as Dave's Mom, as in David Letterman. She gamely appeared on his late night talk show starting in 1994, and continued throughout the remaining run of his tenure as host of CBS's Late Show.

the_late_show_with_david_220336.jpg?w=67

• Princess of Tap likes this

#20 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

They just keep coming...

Charlie Murphy (1959-2017) - Older brother of actor-comedian Eddie Murphy. Charlie acted in several films, including CB4Mo' Better BluesThe Players Club and The Perfect Holiday, as well as several of his brother's films. Charlie Murphy was also a US Navy veteran. He is perhaps best known to audiences for his reoccurring bits on the hit 00's TV series Chappelle's Show, where he would tell one of the many stories from his past as part of Eddie Murphy's entourage, including an encounter with Rick James that became one of the series' signature segments. Charlie Murphy died after a battle with leukemia.

charlie-murphy-mad-hatta-morning-show-fe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users