We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• Please log in to reply
490 replies to this topic

#1 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

http://variety.com/2...lor-1202526371/

Joseph Bologna, an actor, writer and director known for his role in 1982’s “My Favorite Year” and for his long collaboration on stage and screen with wife Renee Taylor, has died after a three-year battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 82.

Bologna died Sunday morning at City of Hope in Duarte, Calif. Just last month, Bologna attended a 35th anniversary screening of “My Favorite Year” in Los Angeles.

Taylor said Bologna had “a beautiful life and a beautiful death.” Bologna died two days after the couple celebrated their 52nd wedding anniversary.

Bologna and Taylor co-wrote and starred in the Broadway show “Lovers and Others Strangers” in 1968. The pair earned Oscar nominations for their screenplay adaptation for the 1970 film starring Gig Young and Bea Arthur. Taylor and Bologna won a Writers Guild Award for their 1971 movie “Made For Each Other,” in which they also starred.

In all, the couple co-wrote some 22 plays and collaborated on numerous film and TV projects, including the Marlo Thomas TV special “Acts of Love and Other Comedies,” and such series as CBS’ “Calucci’s Department,” HBO’s “Bedrooms” and PBS’ “American Dream Machine.”

Bologna and Taylor were introduced by their mutual manager, Buddy Allen. The couple’s wedding was held on the stage of “The Merv Griffin Show” and featured on the talk show. Taylor noted that they renewed their vows five times over their half-century together, each time in a different religious ceremony.

A native of Brooklyn, Bologna grew up in a working-class Italian-American family and went on to serve in the Marine Corps. He then entered the advertising business in the “Mad Men” era. He directed numerous commercials before turning his focus to the stage with Taylor.

Bologna’s other film credits include 1976’s “Woman of the Year,” 1984’s “Blame It on Rio” and “The Woman in Red,” 1985’s “Transylvania 6-5000” and 1989’s “It Had to Be You.” He logged dozens of TV credits over the years, from telepics to sitcoms to dramas.

Among the notable made-fors were the 1986 miniseries “Sins” and 1983’s “One Cooks, the Other Doesn’t.” Bologna appeared opposite future “Friends” star Matt LeBlanc in the 1991 “Married With Children” spinoff “Top of the Heap” and also in the 1987-88 dramedy”Rags to Riches.” His last TV roles included guest shots on “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,” “According to Jim” and “Everwood.”

Bologna’s last project was the upcoming film “Tango Shalom,” a comedy directed by his son, Gabriel. The elder Bologna co-wrote the screenplay with Claudio and Jos Laniado and stars alongside Taylor. The couple’s daughter, Zizi, served as music supervisor.

Very sad to hear this. :( They were great together and separately.

#2 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

As if they hadn't had enough according to last night's news an attempted bombing of an Oklahoma City bank was foiled by law enforcement and an informer.  The perpetrator, an admirer of Timothy McVeigh, was supposedly a member of "The Patriots". If this is the same organization Ty Hardin helped organize it's sad that this is the legacy he's leaving behind.  What next!   

#3 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

http://variety.com/2...lor-1202526371/

Joseph Bologna, an actor, writer and director known for his role in 1982’s “My Favorite Year” and for his long collaboration on stage and screen with wife Renee Taylor, has died after a three-year battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 82.

Bologna died Sunday morning at City of Hope in Duarte, Calif. Just last month, Bologna attended a 35th anniversary screening of “My Favorite Year” in Los Angeles.

Taylor said Bologna had “a beautiful life and a beautiful death.” Bologna died two days after the couple celebrated their 52nd wedding anniversary.

Bologna and Taylor co-wrote and starred in the Broadway show “Lovers and Others Strangers” in 1968. The pair earned Oscar nominations for their screenplay adaptation for the 1970 film starring Gig Young and Bea Arthur. Taylor and Bologna won a Writers Guild Award for their 1971 movie “Made For Each Other,” in which they also starred.

In all, the couple co-wrote some 22 plays and collaborated on numerous film and TV projects, including the Marlo Thomas TV special “Acts of Love and Other Comedies,” and such series as CBS’ “Calucci’s Department,” HBO’s “Bedrooms” and PBS’ “American Dream Machine.”

Bologna and Taylor were introduced by their mutual manager, Buddy Allen. The couple’s wedding was held on the stage of “The Merv Griffin Show” and featured on the talk show. Taylor noted that they renewed their vows five times over their half-century together, each time in a different religious ceremony.

A native of Brooklyn, Bologna grew up in a working-class Italian-American family and went on to serve in the Marine Corps. He then entered the advertising business in the “Mad Men” era. He directed numerous commercials before turning his focus to the stage with Taylor.

Bologna’s other film credits include 1976’s “Woman of the Year,” 1984’s “Blame It on Rio” and “The Woman in Red,” 1985’s “Transylvania 6-5000” and 1989’s “It Had to Be You.” He logged dozens of TV credits over the years, from telepics to sitcoms to dramas.

Among the notable made-fors were the 1986 miniseries “Sins” and 1983’s “One Cooks, the Other Doesn’t.” Bologna appeared opposite future “Friends” star Matt LeBlanc in the 1991 “Married With Children” spinoff “Top of the Heap” and also in the 1987-88 dramedy”Rags to Riches.” His last TV roles included guest shots on “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,” “According to Jim” and “Everwood.”

Bologna’s last project was the upcoming film “Tango Shalom,” a comedy directed by his son, Gabriel. The elder Bologna co-wrote the screenplay with Claudio and Jos Laniado and stars alongside Taylor. The couple’s daughter, Zizi, served as music supervisor.

• mr6666, Bogie56, Dargo and 2 others like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#4 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

Hey, wait a minute. Cleveland is in Vietnam?

Yep. It's a small farming community about 50 clicks from

One Hung Lo City.

• HelenBaby2 likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#5 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,511 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

By the way, why is "sarsaparilla" pronounced "sasparilla?"

Because of Doris Day?  Got me.

#6 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

LOL. No, that was for having drugs on her at the airport (they turned out to be vitamins)........

#7 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Silly me, I always preferred:

" Easy lopin' Cattle ropin' Sugarfoot"--

AKA Will Hutchins, What a Cutie!

Yes, he was too!

#8 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

Probably because someone heard Gabby Hayes say it that way..

#9 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,807 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

In 1985, when he heard that Ty Hardin was arming followers against a potential Russian invasion, Hutchins replied  "he's taking things too seriously."

I'm a big boy.

#10 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

So he stood on a tank in Arizona instead of North Vietnam. What's the big deal?

#11 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,807 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

fonda1970mug1.jpg

It was an anti-aircraft gun, not a tank.    :)

I'm a big boy.

#12 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

Yeah, I'd say besides that whole paranoiac far-right crap Ty got himself involved in as being a reasonable barometer to his questionable mental health status, the additional thought that the guy was married EIGHT freakin' times over the course of his life MIGHT just be another one.

(...but hell...I guess when you're THAT good lookin', the pool of women out there who are at first inclined to overlook your other shortcomings grows immeasurably, huh) 

WOW! That's up with Lana Turner!

#13 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

Robert Hardy, who died the same day as Hardin, was also in Berserk (as the police detective).

Interesting.

#14 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,753 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:17 AM

Despite what the credits say, he was the REAL star of those movies.

And he deserves a peaceful rest.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#15 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,880 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:33 AM

The man who first bought the beloved and feared monster Godzilla to life has died, the film company behind the monster says.

Haruo Nakajima, who wore the Godzilla suit in 12 movies, died on Monday from pneumonia at the age of 88, it said.

In an interview this year Nakajima explained how the original 1954 costume was created from ready-mixed concrete and weighed up to 100kg (220lbs).....

He first played Godzilla - a giant beast who emerges from the deep after a nuclear test - in the 1954 film entitled Godzilla directed by Ishiro Honda and produced by the famed Japanese film studio Toho.

He went on to play the character in consecutive sequels as well as playing other beasts Rodan, Mothra and King Kong.

His last outing in the suit was in the 1972 Godzilla vs. Gigan.....

http://www.bbc.com/n...ialflow_twitter

haruo-nakajima-01.jpg

landscape_movies-godzilla-1954-still-01.

• LawrenceA, Stevomachino and Princess of Tap like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#16 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

fonda1970mug1.jpg

It was an anti-aircraft gun, not a tank.    :)

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#17 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

In 1985, Hardin let a group of "survivalists" in Arizona who became known as the "Arizona Patriots." They held a meeting at a college in Prescott, Arizona, complete with guns, compasses, first-aid kits, and knives. Quoting from The Arizona Republic, April 21, 1985, "This is a call to arms for all patriots," Hardin told attendees. "The government has allowed a constant flow of aliens into our nation. ... The Gestapo movement started with the IRS (well, he may be onto something there).

So he stood on a tank in Arizona instead of North Vietnam. What's the big deal?

#18 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

SHEESH. I never heard about all that stuff. He was quite the hunk in his younger days. I remember him from WB tv shows and some films. Wasnt he Joan Crawford's love interest in Berserk! ?? :D

Robert Hardy, who died the same day as Hardin, was also in Berserk (as the police detective).

#19 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

The last time I looked on Saturday, his website was still up.

If anybody wants to take a look at that, you get a first-hand idea of what he was into.

Oh, I knew years ago what ol' Ty was "into", Princess.

Ya see, about ten years ago or so and before we made our ultimate move to Sedona, my wife and I purchased a very nice house(with a 4 car garage for all of my "toys"...that would be classic cars and motorcycles) to retire to in Prescott AZ.

(...and word of Ty's exploits and rest of his crazy band of paranoiac "patriots" there were legend)

#20 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

The last time I looked on Saturday, his website was still up.

If anybody wants to take a look at that, you get a first-hand idea of what he was into.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users