We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#1 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,721 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted Today, 05:02 PM

At the height of his popularity, Sinatra was still short.

I'm a big boy.

#2 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted Today, 04:58 PM

Even at the height of his popularity, Sinatra was a nobody.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#3 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,841 posts

Posted Today, 04:09 PM

For a moment there, I thought it was Frank Sinatra's first wife Nancy, who should be turning 100 in a couple of months.

I thought the same thing automatically.

BTW-- She's not just his first wife; she's the mother of his three children and the helpmate who supported him and put up with him when he was a nobody.

#4 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted Today, 03:58 PM

For a moment there, I thought it was Frank Sinatra's first wife Nancy, who should be turning 100 in a couple of months.

Per The Chicago Tribune ​(http://www.chicagotr...0331-story.html​), she turned 100 on March 25, 2017.

• jakeem likes this

#5 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,274 posts

Posted Today, 03:28 PM

Before marrying Sinatra, Barbara was the wife of Zeppo Marx, by whom she had a son.

#6 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,841 posts

Posted Today, 03:08 PM

45]lf5NWhm__bigger.jpgEntertainment WeeklyVerified account @EW

More

Barbara Sinatra, humanitarian and wife of Frank Sinatra, dies at 90

http://ew.com/music/...ialflow_twitter

gettyimages-695321384.jpg?w=2000

Before marrying Sinatra, Barbara was the wife of Zeppo Marx, by whom she had a son.

#7 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,274 posts

Posted Today, 01:43 PM

Barbara Sinatra, humanitarian and wife of Frank Sinatra, dies at 90

http://ew.com/music/...ialflow_twitter

gettyimages-695321384.jpg?w=2000

#8 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

I lost my mother 

I am very sorry for your loss. I understand quite well the turmoil of this time for you. I hope you can take heart in the fact that she is now at rest beyond pain and suffering. 

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

• MovieCollectorOH likes this

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#9 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

I lost my mother to dementia on Tuesday just a month after she turned 94.  Her mental state had been going downhill since the month began and honestly I was praying for this rather than have her keep growing more frightened and disoriented.  I saw her yesterday and she looked so at peace.  It made me think of all the aged stars we've lost and mourned lately because we like their work; perhaps their loved ones feel the same about them as I do Mom.  May they all truly RIP.        

• ChristineHoard, LawrenceA and MovieCollectorOH like this

#10 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

It seems like all the obits I've seen say "John Heard of HOME ALONE" but old me remembers his very first flick BETWEEN THE LINES (1977) about an alternative newspaper.  A true '70's flick co-starring some up-and-comers like Jeff Goldblum and Lindsay Crouse.

#11 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

CAT PEOPLE was probably my earliest association with Heard.  I didn't see any of his earlier work until after that.

Always liked the guy.  Even when he was playing not so likeable guys.  He'll be missed.

RIP

Sepiatone

• ChristineHoard likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#12 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,274 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

Joan Micklin Silver's 1979 relationship tale "Chilly Scenes of Winter" -- originally released as "Head Over Heels" -- is a must-see Heard film. It also starred Mary Beth Hurt, Peter Riegert, Kenneth McMillan, Mark Metcalf and Gloria Grahame.

1491158859_1.png

• BelleLeGrand1 and ChristineHoard like this

#13 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Observer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationHere and Gone

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

Two roles that I associate with John Heard were his terrific lead in 1981's Cutter's Way, and the cult horror movie C.H.U.D. (1984).

5085c.jpg

7741-2725-0.jpg

• mr6666 and ChristineHoard like this

#14 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Actor John Heard, probably best known for his role as the dad in the 1990 cult classic HOME ALONE, has died. He was 72.

A constant presence on both the big and small screens over the last four decades, his many other film roles include playing Natassja Kinski's lover in the 1983 remake of CAT PEOPLE, Geraldine Page's son in THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL (1985), a supporting role in Robert Redford's second directorial effort THE MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR (1988) and roles in two films directed by Penny Marshall -- as Elizabeth Perkins' boyfriend in BIG (1988) and as a doctor opposite Robin Williams and Robert De Niro in AWAKENINGS (1990). In 1999, Heard was nominated for an Emmy Award for his role on the first season of THE SOPRANOS

Heard was married -- for six days -- to the actress Margot Kidder, and had a son with actress Melissa Leo.

336657_full.jpg​Heard with Carlin Glynn and Rebecca De Mornay in THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL (1985).

Variety ​remembers John Heard here: http://variety.com/2...one-1202503566/

• mr6666, Bogie56, ChristineHoard and 2 others like this

#15 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:15 PM

Just found out in the "Off Topics" forum and then on the New York NBC4 News.  Great actor. RIP.

400px-MI66_0201_DS_02.jpg

I wonder if TCM will show NBNW in his honor ? They don't show that one very much  :P 

#16 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,274 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park, has died at age 41 by suicide http://rol.st/2uNeRWg 

DFMxVPFU0AItLKD.jpg

#17 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Observer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationHere and Gone

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Red West (March 8, 1936- July 18, 2017) - Actor, stuntman, songwriter, and close friend of Elvis Presley, who he attended high school with. After a stint in the Marines, West reconnected with Presley, co-writing some of his songs and appearing in some of his films, like Live a Little, Love a Little, as well as other movies like Walking Tall (1973). After Presley's death, West continued acting, appearing in TV such as Baa Baa Black Sheep, and films such as Road House (1989), The Rainmaker (1997) and Glory Road (2006). He was very good as a grumpy, suicidal old man in 2009's Goodbye Solo

18199.jpg

27solo_600.jpg

#18 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,609 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

Martin Landau, Legendary ‘Ed Wood’ and ‘North by Northwest’ Actor, Dies at 89-

"Martin Landau, a screen giant who brought his one-of-a-kind talents to Hollywood for more than 60 years, has died at 89. TMZ first reported the news, stating that the actor died yesterday of “unexpected complications” after briefly being hospitalized at UCLA Medical Center.

Landau won a richly deserved Academy Award for his role as Bela Lugosi in Tim Burton’s “Ed Wood,” having previously been nominated for both “Crimes and Misdemeanors” and “Tucker: The Man and His Dream”; he also had three Golden Globes, six Emmy nominations, a BAFTA nod and several lifetime achievement awards to his name.......

http://www.indiewire...ood-1201856034/

Just found out in the "Off Topics" forum and then on the New York NBC4 News.  Great actor. RIP.

400px-MI66_0201_DS_02.jpg

• mr6666 likes this

#19 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

Martin Landau is pictured below with Ben Mankiewicz at the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood on April 6, 2017:

Martin-Landau-683x1024.jpg

• mr6666, Bogie56, ChristineHoard and 1 other like this

#20 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,645 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

Martin Landau, Legendary ‘Ed Wood’ and ‘North by Northwest’ Actor, Dies at 89-

"Martin Landau, a screen giant who brought his one-of-a-kind talents to Hollywood for more than 60 years, has died at 89. TMZ first reported the news, stating that the actor died yesterday of “unexpected complications” after briefly being hospitalized at UCLA Medical Center.

Landau won a richly deserved Academy Award for his role as Bela Lugosi in Tim Burton’s “Ed Wood,” having previously been nominated for both “Crimes and Misdemeanors” and “Tucker: The Man and His Dream”; he also had three Golden Globes, six Emmy nominations, a BAFTA nod and several lifetime achievement awards to his name.......

http://www.indiewire...ood-1201856034/

• Bogie56, Dargo, Barton_Keyes and 3 others like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users