We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• Please log in to reply
490 replies to this topic

#301 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:45 AM

I've wondered if the role played by Doris Belack in TOOTSIE was based in part on Agnes Nixon?

Belack herself was primarily a soap opera actress playing parts in a large number of series and appeared in at least a few of Nixon's programs.

#302 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,393 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:36 AM

My mother and my grandmother lived for those soap operas; they loved them so much. They didn't call them soap operas at all; they called them "My Stories".

I got "hooked" before I went to school and afterwards it took me years
"To Kick the Habit". LOL

But I have a lot of respect for Agnes Nixon, not just that she was a pioneering television woman in a man's world, but also because she gave so many Locked Up and professionally frustrated Housewives something that they could identify with, which helped them get through the day and still gave them some entertainment.

Despite all of the mechanized, electronic household conveniences and convenience foods available in those days, a housewife's work was very hard and repetitive, and psychologically isolated --they had few non- household outlets.

My mother knew who Agnes Nixon was and looked up to her, like Dear Abby or Ann Landers-- as a woman who understood what other women were going through and had been successful in a hostile male environment.

#303 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:44 AM

Agnes Nixon, a celebrated creator and writer of television soap operas, who introduced uterine cancer, venereal diseases, child abuse, AIDS and other societal terrors into the weekday fantasy worlds of millions of daytime viewers, died on Wednesday in Rosemont, Pa. She was 93.

The cause was pneumonia resulting from Parkinson’s disease, her family said.

In a career that paralleled the rise, enormous popularity and gradual decline of soap operas in the last half of the 20th century, Ms. Nixon fashioned many of television’s most popular daytime shows, drawing on a rich imagination to find the great and small human dramas lurking just below the surface of American life.

To a 1950s audience mostly composed of women who were at home doing housework and raising children, Ms. Nixon’s early scripts for “The Guiding Light” and “Search for Tomorrow” provided an escape: a glimpse of dashing lives, handsome cads, passions run amok, dark secrets and terrible betrayals.

But in the 1960s and ’70s she virtually reinvented soaps, creating for the ABC network “One Life to Live,” “All My Children” and other shows infused with social relevance and politically charged topics like racism, abortion, obscenity, narcotics, the generation gap and protests against the Vietnam War.

Like their predecessors, the new Nixon soaps were disturbing, fascinating and addictive. Because she presented various sides of a controversy, they were more complex. But she tried to avoid preachy dialogue, letting action and plot speak for themselves. The conundrum was no longer simply whether Tara was pregnant, but whether Phil, home from Vietnam and scarred by the horrors of war, could still love her.

Agnes Nixon, left, the creator of “All My Children,” with Susan Lucci in a 2011 episode of the show.

d207Quy.jpg

http://www.nytimes.c...at-93.html?_r=0

• TheGayDivorcee and Princess of Tap like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#304 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

I read that Truman Capote's ashes went for sale at auction for $45,000.  I wonder if this will start a trend.

#305 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Sad to hear about H.G. Lewis, although he had a long life. Besides the titles that you've listed, I also really enjoyed 1967's Something Weird, which inspired the name of the later video and DVD company that released so many of Lewis' films.

Blood_feast.JPG

349768-2000maniacs.jpg

somethingweird.jpg

mv5bmtq5ody0otyxn15bml5banbnxkftztcwndc0thisstuff.jpg

#306 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Exploitation legend and “godfather of gore” Herschell Gordon Lewis has died aged 87. His longtime distributors Something Weird Video (named after Lewis’ 1967 feature) broke the news in a Facebook post. 

With his 1963 film Blood Feast, Lewis is widely credited with pioneering the splatter genre, despite it being considered “an insult even to the most puerile and salacious of audiences” in a Variety review. A later critique described it as “one of the important releases in film history, ushering in a new acceptance of explicit violence that was obviously just waiting to be exploited”. 

Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1929, Lewis studied journalism in college and became a professor of English literature at Mississippi State University. After a spell working at a radio station in Oklahoma, he joined an advertising agency in Chicago, where he made TV commercials in the 50s.

With producer David Friedman, Lewis embarked on a string of then-shocking features, which were made for minimal costs and found a ready audience in what would become known as the grindhouse circuit.  Initially concentrating on the “nudie-cutie” world of low-budget sex films (such as The Adventures of Lucky Pierre and Boin-n-g), Lewis made his mark with cinematic violence in the mid-60s with Blood Feast, Two Thousand Maniacs! and Color Me Blood Red.

Though regularly accused of technical ineptitude and outrageous taste, the films made money, and Lewis continued to push the envelope through the late 60s and early 70s. Like his contemporary Roger Corman, Lewis’ work was seen as a subversive force as the counter-culture gathered steam. 

However, Lewis decided to retire from film-making in the early 70s, after realising his style of low-budget horror had run its course, and returned to advertising.

https://www.theguard...is-dies-aged-87

• LawrenceA likes this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#307 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:30 PM

Bill Nunn's most memorable moment in Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" was when the ill-fated Radio Raheem delivers a variation of Robert Mitchum's "love versus hate" exposition from "The Night of the Hunter" (1955). Instead of the knuckle tattoos sported by Mitchum's sinister preacher, Raheem wore a four-fingered ring with "Hate" on the left hand and one with "Love" on his right hand. 

When Lee served as a Turner Classic Movies guest programmer in July 2012, "The Night of the Hunter" was one of his four choices.

• LawrenceA likes this

#308 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

Bill Nunn - Actor Bill Nunn has died at the age of 62. Nunn made his film debut in Spike Lee's 1988 film School Daze. He followed that up with the pivotal role of Radio Raheem in Lee's incendiary, landmark 1989 film Do the Right Thing.

Nunn appeared in other Lee films, as well as films by other directors, including The Last Seduction (1994), Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995), Kiss the Girls (1997), and as newspaper editor Robbie Robertson in all 3 Tobey Maguire-led Spider-Man films.

radio_raheem-radio.jpg

AURNcom_BillNunn_Spiderman.jpg

#309 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:19 PM

Bobby Breen, the celebrated boy soprano and child actor who appeared in a quick succession of popular 1930s films before puberty set in, has died. He was 88.

Breen died Monday of natural causes in a hospital in Pompano Beach, Fla., his daughter-in-law Jackie Howard told The Hollywood Reporter. His wife of 54 years, Audre, had died there three days earlier.

Breen's likeness is among those in the crowd pictured on the cover of the 1967 Beatles record Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Film historian Rhett Bartlett notes that there are only five survivors left from that memorable album cover — Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Bob Dylan, singer-songwriter Dion and sculptor Larry Bell.

Born in Canada on Nov. 4, 1927, Breen was pushed by his older sister to become a performer. He came to Hollywood when he was about 8 and sang on Eddie Cantor's weekly radio program.

With a reputation as "a boy Shirley Temple," the curly haired, dimpled Breen made his movie debut as an opera singer in Let's Sing Again (1936) for RKO Radio Pictures.

The youngster followed with a blitz of top-billed singing roles in such films as Rainbow on the River (1936), Make a Wish (1937) — where he is befriended by a composer played by Basil Rathbone — Hawaii Calls (1938), Way Down South (1939) and Fisherman's Wharf (1939).

However, his voice naturally changed as he became a teenager, and following production of Escape to Paradise (1939), he was done with the movies after a small role in Johnny Doughboy (1942), starring Jane Withers.

http://www.hollywood...o-singer-931949

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

gq1BVs3.jpg

#310 vidorisking

vidorisking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:10 PM

RIP, Mr. Hanson. Hopefully, this will give TCM another reason to never ever show that ridiculous Letterbox commercial anymore.

#311 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:58 PM

Curtis Hanson - Oscar-winning writer and director Curtis Hansen has died from a heart attack at age 71. Among his many credits are The Hand That Rocks the Cradle (1992), The River Wild (1994), Wonder Boys (2000), 8 Mile (2002), and Too Big to Fail (2011). His greatest triumph came in 1997 with the film adaptation of James Ellroy's novel L.A. Confidential, which earned Hanson a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar, as well as a nomination as Best Director.

Curtis-Hanson-photo-788.jpg

• Bogie56 likes this

#312 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

'Liesl' from the Sound of Music, Charmian Carr, has died of complications from a rare form of dementia at the age of 73. Carr was best known for her role as the eldest Von Trapp daughter, Liesl, in the academy award winning movie, The Sound of Music. Carr was 21 at the time the movie was filmed, and is famous for singing the beloved song "I Am Sixteen Going on Seventeen." After The Sound of Music, Carr also starred opposite Anthony Perkins in the Stephen Sondheim television musical "Evening Primrose."

http://www.charmiancarr.com/

Zp22QXQ.jpg

gq1BVs3.jpg

#313 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:34 PM

W.P. Kinsella, the author of Shoeless Joe, an award-winning novel that was adapted into the 1989 Kevin Costner film FIELD OF DREAMS, has died. He was 81 years old.

Kinsella had been ill for a number of years and on September 16 he ended his own life via Canada's controversial doctor assisted dying legislation. 

CBC News remembers Kinsella here: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...death-1.3766840.

#314 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:03 PM

I'm not making excuses for the guy but I think he had substance abuse problems stemming from his accident.

Thanks for your input.  You might be on to something.

#315 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

JAMES STACY sure was a good looking guy. I remember him from his TV days and seeing him on a show or two after his accident. I did not know about the molestation charges. WIKI said he also got into trouble for window peeping (or something like that) around the same time. I don't mean to seem cavalier or insensitive, but these charges were after his accident and he was able to do these things in a wheelchair with one leg and one arm? What kind of pervert was he to do this stuff in his condition?!? He must have had very dark compulsions.

I'm not making excuses for the guy but I think he had substance abuse problems stemming from his accident.

#316 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

JAMES STACY sure was a good looking guy. I remember him from his TV days and seeing him on a show or two after his accident. I did not know about the molestation charges. WIKI said he also got into trouble for window peeping (or something like that) around the same time. I don't mean to seem cavalier or insensitive, but these charges were after his accident and he was able to do these things in a wheelchair with one leg and one arm? What kind of pervert was he to do this stuff in his condition?!? He must have had very dark compulsions.

#317 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:41 PM

James Stacy - Actor James Stacy has died at the age of 79. After making his film debut in 1957's Sayonara, Stacy became a fixture on television, with appearances of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet, Gunsmoke, Hazel, Highway Patrol, Perry Mason, Combat! and many others. He starred in the TV Western Lancer from 1968-1970.

In 1973, Stacy was involved in a terrible motorcycle accident which resulted in the amputation of Stacy's left leg and arm. After recovering, he began appearing in films and television again, including Posse (1975) and Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983).

In 1995 James Stacy was arrested and plead guilty to charges of child molestation, earning a six year prison sentence, and ending his career.

james-stacy-1-sized.jpg

#318 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:38 PM

Greta Zimmer Friedman, ‘nurse’ in iconic Times Square kiss photo, dead at 92
Will be buried next to her husband in Arlington National Cemetery

World_War_II_Bone_c0-470-2053-1667_s885x

http://www.washingto...imes-square-ki/

• hercule likes this

Moviecollector's Corner                                                                                               Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#319 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

http://www.hollywood...director-921817

Director Leslie H. Martinson, who worked on more than 100 television series during his prolific career and helmed Batman: The Movie in 27 days between the first two seasons of the wildly popular 1960s ABC show, has died. He was 101.

Thank you for the link so we could see what he looked like.  In his book Roger Moore said he was an emotional man who the WB actors like to needle but was always there ready to work.  While not a household name he was definitely a success in the best sense of the word.  RIP, Sir, and thanks for all the great work you've left us with.. 

#320 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:06 AM

One of Martinson's most impressive achievements was shooting the 1966 feature film "Batman" between Seasons 1 and 2 of the ABC television series. The Powers That Be wanted the movie ASAP. He pulled it off in 27 days with a small budget. It opened on July 30, 1966.

The movie version starred Adam West as Batman and Burt Ward as Robin. It also included the TV series' most  popular Bat-Villains: Cesar Romero as The Joker, Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, Frank Gorshin as The Riddler and former Miss America Lee Meriwether as Catwoman (Julie Newmar was unavailable for the film).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users