We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#21 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

I believe these 'old TV show' next works are showing shows that feature the recently departed on purpose (since it has occurred at least 6 times that I can recall).   I don't find that tacky at all since they are doing this as a tribute.

People at this forum are asking why TCM didn't honor so-in-so when they died.   So a station like Get-TV does so and that is tacky?

I think you misunderstood what lavender posted. I believe she was saying that showing an episode where someone supposedly dies, to pay tribute to someone who has in reality just died, is tacky. 

I'm a big boy.

#22 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,059 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

Yes, I watch Johnny and I've noticed that and I did watch that Roger Moore episode. 77 is on ME-TV.These episodes were about Roger's character Jeff reported as dead, although he's really been kidnapped and he's beaten up, drugged and the fact that he's not really dead. Why pick those episodes when he was on the show for quite awhile and was the main character in other episodes. Kinda tacky to pick these episodes I think if it was done on purpose. I can't say for certain whether showing these episodes was intentional or not.

I do think that these stations showing episodes to honor actors (actresses) that have passed is a nice tribute.

I believe these 'old TV show' next works are showing shows that feature the recently departed on purpose (since it has occurred at least 6 times that I can recall).   I don't find that tacky at all since they are doing this as a tribute.

People at this forum are asking why TCM didn't honor so-in-so when they died.   So a station like Get-TV does so and that is tacky?

#23 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

Maybe not so strange. What channel was it on? I watch Johnny Carson reruns on Antenna TV, and when a celebrity died, that same night they had a show with that person as a guest (Roger Moore the most recent), which had to be a last minute change. 

Yes, I watch Johnny and I've noticed that and I did watch that Roger Moore episode. 77 is on ME-TV.These episodes were about Roger's character Jeff reported as dead, although he's really been kidnapped and he's beaten up, drugged and the fact that he's not really dead. Why pick those episodes when he was on the show for quite awhile and was the main character in other episodes. Kinda tacky to pick these episodes I think if it was done on purpose. I can't say for certain whether showing these episodes was intentional or not.

I do think that these stations showing episodes to honor actors (actresses) that have passed is a nice tribute.

#24 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Sad that he was so ill for much of his adult life. I had just watched a 2 part 77 Sunset Strip that was shown the night Roger Smith died. In the episode he was falsely reported as dead, the guys had to rescue him. Very strange that those episodes were shown.

Maybe not so strange. What channel was it on? I watch Johnny Carson reruns on Antenna TV, and when a celebrity died, that same night they had a show with that person as a guest (Roger Moore the most recent), which had to be a last minute change.

I'm a big boy.

#25 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

Sad that he was so ill for much of his adult life. I had just watched a 2 part 77 Sunset Strip that was shown the night Roger Smith died. In the episode he was falsely reported as dead, the guys had to rescue him. Very strange that those episodes were shown.

Ann-Margaret and Roger Smith seemed very devoted to each other, one of the few very successful Hollywood marriages.A lovely couple. Condolences to Ann-Margaret, Roger Smith's children and friends and other family members.

RIP Roger Smith

#26 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:50 PM

Roger Smith (1932-2017) - Actor Roger Smith has died. Smith is best remembered for his starring role in the hit TV series 77 Sunset Strip for 5 seasons starting 1958. Smith was married to singer-actress Ann-Margret for 50 years.

headshotweb.jpg

a+rog8.jpg

I was just watching Strip last night, thinking about how well the show has held up.

I know Roger had some kind of a neuromuscular disease for decades, but he soldiered on keeping a low profile.

He was simply a wonderful husband to Ann Margaret and truly saved her life with his quick action when she had that horrible tragic fall at the Sahara Hotel in Lake Tahoe.

I think now only Edd "Kookie" Byrnes and Jacqueline Beer survive from the original cast of Strip.

#27 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,090 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:38 PM

Roger Smith (1932-2017) - Actor Roger Smith has died. Smith is best remembered for his starring role in the hit TV series 77 Sunset Strip for 5 seasons starting 1958. Smith was married to singer-actress Ann-Margret for 50 years.

headshotweb.jpg

a+rog8.jpg

• Princess of Tap likes this

#28 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Powers Boothe, a character actor who appeared in films like Sin City and TV shows including Deadwood and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., has died. He was 68.

Hailing from Texas, Boothe began his acting career in the theater, playing a number of Shakespearean roles including Henry IV. He made his Broadway debut in the late 70s. 

In 1980, he won an Emmy for lead actor in a limited series or special for playing the title role of cult leader Jim Jones in CBS' Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones. He won that award during an actors strike and chose to cross the picket line to accept his award, saying: "This may be either the bravest moment of my career, or the dumbest."

Boothe gained a reputation for playing villains with memorable roles in action film Sudden Death,  Bill Paxton's Frailty and the nefarious Senator Roark in Sin City. More recently Boothe took on the role of Gideon Malick as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, debuting the role on The Avengers and reprising it on TV on ABC's The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

He portrayed Alexander Haig in Nixon (1995) and a sheriff in another Oliver Stone film, U Turn (1997), and was memorable as the gunman Curly Bill Brocius in Tombstone (1993).

wTQwsKJ.jpg

& one cool actor!  I thought he was a bit older though then 68, when I 1st heard he went.  Always figured he was about Nick Nolte's age-76) ever see the comic book level of violence, but entertaining 1987 Walter Hill film "Extreme Prejudice" (**1/2) both starred in that ultra-violent pic. & both were in O. stone's 1997 "U-Turn" ($7m.) (**1/2) But, as you know & I think you wrote it was his Emmy winning riveting work as Jim Jones that he'll be remembered for.   He's one of those guys my mom always found attractive too.  She used to really go for Nolte throught the '80's when he was everywhere, but she got turned off to Nick after 1990's Sidney Lumet crime-drama "Q & A" ($11m.) (***) (NOTE: He was incredible in that movie though & even Brando later said he thought he was robbed by the AMPAS for it.   Ironically cable's been recently re-airing "Sin-City" (2005) ($75m/.) (***1/2) but I thought it's sequel was a ,mess.  Madonna-(still occasionally correspond with her, depends on her mood. She's actually a bookworm) has a release coming up that she directed "Greta Wells' ever hear of it, she bought the book a few yrs ago. Just wanted to see if it's gonna' be on that thread 2017 Films?

#29 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

Jimmy Piersall (1929-2017) - Former Major League Baseball player, primarily with the Boston Red Sox  and the California Angels, who was the subject of the 1957 film Fear Strikes Out, with Anthony Perkins starring as Piersall. 

jimtony.jpg

LAWRENCE, once again you hit it out of the TCM ballpark with this topic!!!   I saw this heavy drama & found it well-made (***-ut of 4 stars)

#30 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,090 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

Jimmy Piersall (1929-2017) - Former Major League Baseball player, primarily with the Boston Red Sox  and the California Angels, who was the subject of the 1957 film Fear Strikes Out, with Anthony Perkins starring as Piersall. 

jimtony.jpg

#31 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

Thank you for the photos.  I never saw Elena Verdugo as a brunette although it's not surprising that she'd be one being a genuine Hispanic.  She was starring on Meet Millie when my family first got a TV in late 1952.  She played a truck-stop waitress and wore a uniform most times but in one episode she almost married and wore one of those gowns that was all lace on top and ball room skirt.  That was my dream gown for years. 

I also remember her from Marcus Welby.  Didn't she get an Emmy for it?  The ranks just keep getting thinner.

• GGGGerald likes this

#32 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

Elena Verdugo (1925-2017) - Actress Elena Verdugo has died at the age of 92. She made her first film appearance at age 5 in 1931's Cavalier of the West. She appeared in small roles and in B-films for the next two decades, including House of Frankenstein (1944), Little Giant (1946), and Cyrano de Bergerac (1950). She later moved on to TV with much success, guest-starring in multiple series and playing nurse Consuelo Lopez on Marcus Welby MD for 7 years. She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960.

601a_1.JPG

marcus-welby-m-d-e1496260959536.jpg?w=22

Sorry to hear this. She was lovely as the gypsy in House of Frankenstein and very cute as Costello's girlfriend in Little Giant. Her ancestors were among the original settlers in what is now Los Angeles. At one time, they owned about 36,000 acres in the area.

I'm a big boy.

#33 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,090 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

Elena Verdugo (1925-2017) - Actress Elena Verdugo has died at the age of 92. She made her first film appearance at age 5 in 1931's Cavalier of the West. She appeared in small roles and in B-films for the next two decades, including House of Frankenstein (1944), Little Giant (1946), and Cyrano de Bergerac (1950). She later moved on to TV with much success, guest-starring in multiple series and playing nurse Consuelo Lopez on Marcus Welby MD for 7 years. She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960.

601a_1.JPG

marcus-welby-m-d-e1496260959536.jpg?w=22

• jakeem, JR33928, TopBilled and 1 other like this

#34 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

Not in the movie biz but I just sadly learned Gregg Allman passed away at age 69.  Great musician.

#35 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,551 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Jared Martin (1941-2017) - Actor in films and television from the 1960's through the 1990's. He got his start in acting in the earliest films of his college roommate Brian De Palma, such as Murder a la Mod (1968) and The Wedding Party (1969). He then had several guest appearances on TV series such as Dan AugustThe Bold Ones: The LawyersNight GalleryMedical Center, Cannon, Columbo and many more. He found his most lasting fame as Dusty Farlow on TV's Dallas.

s_67704_1419180741_jared_martin_prime_rg

Sad to read this. He was great on Dallas and had several returns during the show's long run. He also did a very memorable episode of The Waltons where he played a crazy painter who did Erin Walton's portrait. A very interesting actor.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#36 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,090 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Jared Martin (1941-2017) - Actor in films and television from the 1960's through the 1990's. He got his start in acting in the earliest films of his college roommate Brian De Palma, such as Murder a la Mod (1968) and The Wedding Party (1969). He then had several guest appearances on TV series such as Dan AugustThe Bold Ones: The LawyersNight GalleryMedical Center, Cannon, Columbo and many more. He found his most lasting fame as Dusty Farlow on TV's Dallas.

s_67704_1419180741_jared_martin_prime_rg

• TopBilled likes this

#37 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

Powers Boothe, a character actor who appeared in films like Sin City and TV shows including Deadwood and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., has died. He was 68.

Hailing from Texas, Boothe began his acting career in the theater, playing a number of Shakespearean roles including Henry IV. He made his Broadway debut in the late 70s. 

In 1980, he won an Emmy for lead actor in a limited series or special for playing the title role of cult leader Jim Jones in CBS' Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones. He won that award during an actors strike and chose to cross the picket line to accept his award, saying: "This may be either the bravest moment of my career, or the dumbest."

Boothe gained a reputation for playing villains with memorable roles in action film Sudden Death,  Bill Paxton's Frailty and the nefarious Senator Roark in Sin City. More recently Boothe took on the role of Gideon Malick as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, debuting the role on The Avengers and reprising it on TV on ABC's The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

He portrayed Alexander Haig in Nixon (1995) and a sheriff in another Oliver Stone film, U Turn (1997), and was memorable as the gunman Curly Bill Brocius in Tombstone (1993).

wTQwsKJ.jpg

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#38 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,090 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Curt Lowens (1925-2017) - Character actor Curt Lowens has died at the age of 91. Lowens was born in what is now Poland. As Jews, his family suffered great hardship during his youth, and Lowens and his parents moved from their hometown to Berlin, and then to the Netherlands, where Lowens worked for the Resistance. After the war, he moved to the US and studied acting, amassing 125 film and TV credits across his 54 year screen career, including films like Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory (1960), The Secret of Santa Vittoria (1969), The Mephisto Waltz (1971), The Hindenburg (1975), Firefox (1982), and Angels & Demons (2009), and TV shows like Hogan's Heroes, Mission: Impossible, The FBI, The Six Million Dollar Man, Battlestar Galactica and many, many more.

20155-20995.gif

tve20155-19690104-231.jpg

• film lover 293 likes this

#39 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,090 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

Yoshimitsu Banno (1931-2017) - Japanese filmmaker Yoshimitsu Banno has died at the age of 86. Banno worked closely with director Akira Kurosawa, serving as assistant director on the films Throne of Blood (1957), The Lower Depths (1957), The Hidden Fortress (1958), and The Bad Sleep Well (1960). Banno later went on to write and direct one of the most memorable entries in the Godzilla film series, 1971's Godzilla vs Hedorah aka Godzilla vs the Smog Monster.

smog_monster1.jpg

24.%20Godzilla%20vs.%20Hedorah.jpg

• film lover 293 likes this

#40 nakano

nakano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

French actor Victor Lanoux died today ,he was 80 years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users