We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#21 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

Michael Ballhaus (1935-2017) - Outstanding cinematographer who started out as the DP for Rainer Werner Fassbinder, including films such as The Bitter Tears of Petra von KantFox and His Friends, and The Marriage of Maria Braun. Ballhaus worked with other directors as well, including John Sayles (Baby It's You), James L. Brooks (Broadcast News), Mike Nichols (Working Girl), Wolfgang Peterson (Outbreak), Barry Levinson (Sleepers), Francis Ford Coppola (Bram Stoker's Dracula), and Martin Scorsese (After Hours, The Color of MoneyThe Last Temptation of ChristGoodfellasThe Age of InnocenceGangs of New YorkThe Departed). 

Ballhaus was nominated for 3 Best Cinematography Oscars: 1987 - Broadcast News, 1988 - The Fabulous Baker Boys, 2002 - Gangs of New York.

17f383b79081569861538aa829868047.jpg

• Bogie56 likes this

#22 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

Peter Hansen (1921-2017) Actor perhaps best known for his long-running role as Lee Baldwin on the TV soap operas General Hospital and Port Charles, a part he played on and off over a 39 year period, starting in 1965. He acted in other television  and film roles, as well, with his best remembered part that of Dr. Tony Drake in the 1951 science fiction classic When Worlds Collide

7405-21083.jpg

4c6db6e2fad4415776bbc8cb5ff9f2de.jpg

• sewannie likes this

#23 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Radley Metzger (1929-2017) - Film director who came to prominence in the late 1960's with a series of artsy erotica films that elevated the genre into more respectable theaters. His biggest films were Therese and Isabelle (1968), Camille 2000 (1969), The Lickerish Quartet (1970), Score (1974) and The Image (1975), while his closest brush with mainstream films came with the 1978 version of The Cat and the Canary. Metzger during the 1970's also directed hardcore films under the name Henry Paris. Despite the lurid nature of his film work, they garnered some considerable critical success, and prints of his film are kept in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art.

Radley_Metzger_klein.jpg

large_9qpokugF1pObCQ69PSHb23e93fr.jpg

the-cat-and-the-canary-movie-poster-1979

#24 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,912 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Yes, I remember her in Town Without Pity. Too bad. :(

#25 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Christine Kaufmann (1945-2017) - Actress Christine Kaufmann has died after a battle with leukemia. Kaufmann won the Golden Globe for New Star of the Year in 1961 for her role in Town Without Pity, although she'd been acting in films since age 7. She followed up that role with appearances in Escape from East Berlin (1962) and Taras Bulba (1962), on the latter of which she met Tony Curtis, whom she married in 1963 (he was 20 years older). She continued to work in films and TV all over the world, last appearing in 2014's Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, her 109th credit.

f_5426329_1.jpg

8653296ea301566afe6f5bed66fe984e.jpg

8b7c8c910781aec2e4311110799ac5b6.jpg

• Bogie56 likes this

#26 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:08 AM

IMHO This Sporting Life is the best film ever made about a pro athlete

http://www.bbc.com/n...t-arts-39404214

This Sporting Life author David Storey has died at the age of 83.

His much-lauded 1960 debut novel was based on his experiences as a professional rugby league player and was made into a film three years later. Storey went on to win the 1976 Booker Prize for family drama Saville.

A spokesman for his four children said: "Dad died peacefully with his family around him. He gave and inspired great love, drew us out and showed us how the world really is."

Richard Harris and Rachel Roberts were both nominated for Oscars for starring in the big screen version of This Sporting Life.

Storey's other novels included Flight Into Camden and Passmore and the plays The Restoration of Arnold Middleton, The Contractor, Home and The Changing Room. Storey's play Home was made into a film starring Sir John Gielgud and Sir Ralph Richardson, while In Celebration was filmed with Alan Bates and Brian Cox.​

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#27 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,912 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

I hadnt heard about Lola Albright. Thanks for the info. :(

#28 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,912 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Probably due to the same thing they say are the three things most important about real estate, Hibi:

"Location, location, location"!

In other words, having resided in SoCal all those years, and a location where most game/quiz shows are produced, it would make it not only easier for me to apply as a contestant, but the programs' producers also like this fact, as it also makes scheduling a local resident's taping more convenient for them.

(...and of course not also taking into consideration that my handsome visage AND sparking personality would make their selection of me to be on their various programs a no-brainer to begin with!!!)   ;)

LOL

LOL. If you say so.........

#29 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Jean Rouverol, a one-time actress turned screenwriter, died March 24. She was 100.

Making her screen debut at age 18 opposite W.C. Fields in IT'S A GIFT ('34), Rouverol subsequently acted in supporting roles in STAGE DOOR ('37), opposite Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers, and ANNABEL TAKES A TRIP ('38), opposite Lucille Ball.

jean_rouverol_photofest_h_2017.jpg

Rouverol then turned her attention to writing for screen, writing the screenplay for the 1950 Paul Henreid vehicle So Young So Bad. Though her career was disrupted by the Hollywood blacklist shortly thereafter, Rouverol continued to work, using a front for her contribution to the screenplay AUTUMN LEAVES ('56), directed by Robert Aldrich. Following the blacklist, Rouverol wrote the screenplay for Aldrich's 1968 inside-Hollywood cult classic THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE. In the 1970s and '80s, Rouverol jumped to the world of daytime television, joining the writing staffs of two CBS soap operas -- The Guiding Light and As the World Turns.

The Hollywood Reporter remembers her here: http://www.hollywood...-was-100-988772

• sewannie and Bogie56 like this

#30 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Lola was also very good in a 1964 episode of the The Dick Van Dyke Show titled "How to Spank a Star", in which she played a manipulative and spoiled diva of a guest star on that program's imagined Alan Brady Show, and which Dick Van Dyke's character Rob Petrie must put up with for the week of rehearsals.

#31 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

http://www.hollywood...s-was-92-988635

Lola Albright, the charming actress with the smoky voice who sang and starred on TV's Peter Gunn and was spurned by the back-stabbing Kirk Douglas in the classic 1949 boxing drama Champion, has died. She was 92.

Albright died Thursday in the Toluca Lake enclave of Los Angeles, the Akron Beacon-Journal reported. She was born and raised in the Ohio city.

Albright was perhaps best known for playing the sultry singer Edie Hart, the girlfriend of private eye Craig Stevens, on all three seasons of the Blake Edwards NBC-ABC series Peter Gunn. She received an Emmy Award nomination in 1959 for her work.

While the series was on the air, Albright released the album Dreamsville, backed by Henry Mancini’s orchestra (he, of course, composed the theme song for Peter Gunn), in 1959. She had done an album two years earlier, Lola Wants You.

On the big screen, the blue-eyed blonde was memorable in a leading role as an aging burlesque stripper who seduces a teenager (Scott Marlowe) in A Cold Wind in August (1961), and she received the best actress award at the Berlin Film Festival for portraying Tuesday Weld's suicidal mother in Lord Love a Duck (1966).

In Champion, an adaptation of a Ring Lardner story, Albright played the spoiled Palmer Harris, the wife of a manipulating boxing manager, who falls for fighter "Midge" Kelly (the Oscar-nominated Douglas). The manager offers Kelly a bigger percentage of the gate to leave his wife alone, which the boxer agrees to, leaving Palmer devastated.

Albright also appeared on the big screen in Tulsa (1949), The Good Humor Man (1950) — opposite her future husband, Jack Carson — The Killer That Stalked New York (1950), Frank Sinatra's The Tender Trap (1955), The Impossible Years (1968), Elvis Presley's Kid Galahad (1962), Joy House (1964), Douglas' The Way West (1967) and Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968).

She stepped in for Dorothy Malone, who had suffered a pulmonary embolism, to play Constance for several episodes of ABC's Peyton Place in 1965-66.

Albright was born on July 20, 1924, in Akron. She graduated from West High School in 1942, worked as a receptionist at radio stations and was discovered by a talent scout while she was modeling in Chicago.

Albright made her big-screen debut in The Unfinished Dance (1947), starring the youngster Margaret O'Brien, and appeared in two Judy Garland movies, The Pirate and Easter Parade, the following year.

Albright played Bob Cummings' love interest on his 1955-57 NBC-CBS comedy and guest-starred on such shows as Lux Video Theatre, Panic!, The Beverly Hillbillies, Branded, Burke's Law, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Columbo and Airwolf.

Albright was married to Carson from 1952-58 and then to Bill Chadney, who played her pianist at the bar called Mother's on Peter Gunn, from 1961-71. (Chadney also owned L.A. restaurant-clubs that bore his name). Both marriages ended in divorce.

Vzx9H0X.jpg

• Bogie56, Dargo, LawrenceA and 2 others like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#32 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

I have heard that those are the most important aspects also of kisses.

;)

Reminds me of the old saying, Sans:

"Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."

(...and I also usually add, "...and dancing" to that whenever I say this old saw, hence the reason your thought reminded me of it)

#33 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

Probably due to the same thing they say are the three things most important about real estate, Hibi:

I have heard that those are the most important aspects also of kisses.

• Dargo likes this

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#34 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Tomas Milian (1933-2017) - Cuban born actor who immigrated to the US to study at the Actor's Studio before moving to Italy where he became a naturalized citizen. He made his film debut in 1959, but really came into his own in the spaghetti western and giallo genres. Among his notable films are Boccaccio '70 (1962), The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965), The Big Gundown (1966), Companeros (1970), The Last Movie (1971), Don't Torture a Duckling (1972), Four of the Apocalypse (1975), Cop in Blue Jeans (1976), Winter Kills (1979), Revenge (1990), JFK (1991), Amistad (1997), Traffic (2000) and The Lost City (2005). Milian compiled over 120 credits in film and television. 

Burnayanoch1959XviDDVDRipfenixclubavi_sn

36747_ppl.jpg000TRF_Tomas_Milian_003.jpg

• Bogie56 likes this

#35 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

How did you get on so many game shows???

In other words, having resided in SoCal all those years, and a location where most game/quiz shows are produced, it would make it not only easier for me to apply as a contestant, but the programs' producers also like this fact, as it also makes scheduling a local resident's taping more convenient for them.

(...and of course not also taking into consideration that my handsome visage AND sparking personality would make their selection of me to be on their various programs a no-brainer to begin with!!!)   ;)

LOL

#36 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,912 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Four all together, Lawrence.

The previously mentioned The Dating Game in '71; in 1973 the ABC network's quiz show Split Second(1972-75) hosted by Tom Kennedy(won $550 on that one); in 1980 the Barry-Enright syndicated quiz show Bullseye(1980-82) hosted by my old Dating Game buddy Jim Lange(won $10,500 on that one); and finally a very short-lived quiz show titled Couch Potatoes hosted by Marc Summers in 1989, and with my "lovely parting gift" being a Lazy Boy recliner on that one.

(...oh, and no...unfortunately I could never find any of my appearances on YouTube or anyplace else on the internet)

How did you get on so many game shows???

#37 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,911 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

The previously mentioned The Dating Game in '71; in 1973 the ABC network's quiz show Split Second(1972-75) hosted by Tom Kennedy(won $550 on that one); in 1980 the Barry-Enright syndicated quiz show Bullseye(1980-82) hosted by my old Dating Game buddy Jim Lange(won $10,500 on that one); and finally a very short-lived quiz show titled Couch Potatoes hosted by Marc Summers in 1989, and with my "lovely parting gift" being a Lazy Boy recliner on that one.

(...oh, and no...unfortunately I could never find any of my appearances on YouTube or anyplace else on the internet)

Sometimes you can get dubs from the networks.  Might be worth checking out.

#38 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

How many game show appearances did you make? And is your ep of Dating Game on YouTube?

• GGGGerald and LawrenceA like this

#39 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

In 1971 and when I was 19 y/o, I briefly met Chuck Barris when I auditioned for and was picked as a Dating Game contestant. My very first game show appearance.

How many game show appearances did you make? And is your ep of Dating Game on YouTube?

#40 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

In 1971 and when I was 19 y/o, I briefly met Chuck Barris when I auditioned for and was picked as a Dating Game contestant. My very first game show appearance.

(...yeah, thaaaat's right...I was on that dumb show, and the "lovely bachelorette" picked me from the other two young goofballs on stage...our date consisted of going to Ensenada Mexico...and because we were under 21, we were accompanied by a chaperone...an "older woman" in her late twenties...and I remember being MUCH more interested in HER than I was my date)

• GGGGerald likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users