We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• Please log in to reply
490 replies to this topic

#21 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

He definitely was quite a hunk, but man, he got messed up. He got fed up with Hollywood, moved to Europe, took drugs, came back to California and became a preacher."It pains me to talk about all the garbage of my past," he once said. "Satan ripped me off." Then he got involved with the "Arizona Patriots," who supposedly were making plans to take over the government. Something just went wrong inside that guy. Too bad, because he came across onscreen as likable.

Yeah, I'd say besides that whole paranoiac far-right crap Ty got himself involved in as being a reasonable barometer to his questionable mental health status, the additional thought that the guy was married EIGHT freakin' times over the course of his life MIGHT just be another one.

(...but hell...I guess when you're THAT good lookin', the pool of women out there who are at first inclined to overlook your other shortcomings grows immeasurably, huh) 

#22 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

SAD!!

#23 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,810 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

SHEESH. I never heard about all that stuff. He was quite the hunk in his younger days. I remember him from WB tv shows and some films. Wasnt he Joan Crawford's love interest in Berserk! ?? :D

Yes.

In 1985, Hardin let a group of "survivalists" in Arizona who became known as the "Arizona Patriots." They held a meeting at a college in Prescott, Arizona, complete with guns, compasses, first-aid kits, and knives. Quoting from The Arizona Republic, April 21, 1985, "This is a call to arms for all patriots," Hardin told attendees. "The government has allowed a constant flow of aliens into our nation. ... The Gestapo movement started with the IRS (well, he may be onto something there). The government is training SWAT teams to put down patriots. So the purpose of  this meeting is to begin training people in the use of weapons. ... I guarantee there will come a day when blood will run in the streets of America."

One of the "speakers," a former detective and Green Beret named James Jarrett, told attendees which knives were best for killing, and which camouflage works best in the Arizona desert. He also noted that dental floss could be used to suture a wound. On a lighter note, Jarrett claimed he would not train members of the Jewish Defense League or the Ku Klux Klan.

I'm a big boy.

#24 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

He definitely was quite a hunk, but man, he got messed up. He got fed up with Hollywood, moved to Europe, took drugs, came back to California and became a preacher."It pains me to talk about all the garbage of my past," he once said. "Satan ripped me off." Then he got involved with the "Arizona Patriots," who supposedly were making plans to take over the government. Something just went wrong inside that guy. Too bad, because he came across onscreen as likable.

SHEESH. I never heard about all that stuff. He was quite the hunk in his younger days. I remember him from WB tv shows and some films. Wasnt he Joan Crawford's love interest in Berserk! ?? :D

#25 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

That is sad.

#26 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,810 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

Ty Hardin may have become involved in the alt-right movement later in life but he sure was some nice eye candy in his younger years.

• ChristineHoard, film lover 293 and Princess of Tap like this

I'm a big boy.

#27 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

Ty Hardin may have become involved in the alt-right movement later in life but he sure was some nice eye candy in his younger years.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#28 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,393 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

PT 109 was a Warner Brothers movie, that may have been part of Ty Hardin's Warner Brothers contract.

In 1959 James Garner made a nautical World War II movie, Up Periscope, as part of his Warner Brothers contract.

#29 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

I remember Ty Hardin as the second in command to U.S. Navy Lt. (j.g.) John F. Kennedy (Cliff Robertson) in "PT-109" (1963).

pt-109-1.png

#30 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,393 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

Ty Hardin (January 1, 1930-August 3, 2017) - TV and film actor, best known for his starring role on TV's Bronco (1958-1962). His film roles included I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958), Last Train from Gun Hill (1959), Merrill's Marauders (1962), The Chapman Report (1962), Palm Springs Weekend (1963), Battle of the Bulge (1965), Berserk! (1967), and Custer of the West (1967), among others. He was reportedly the first actor considered for Sergio Leone's Man with No Name trilogy, as well as the producers' first choice for TV's Batman.

1164884.jpg

4f3737bf80c82382be2462784580c164--real-c

I always liked Ty Hardin in Bronco and I thought he was quite good in Palm Beach Weekend.

Later in life he got involved in alt-right activity. I don't know if that had any bearing on his later career or not.

#31 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

I thought that name was familiar, although the face wasn't. I've never seen the shows listed, but I did know Hywel Bennett from a thriller back in 1968 titled Twisted Nerve. He looked a bit different then.

That was his second film with the grown-up Hayley Mills. A year earlier, they co-starred as newlyweds in "The Family Way," which featured a music score by Paul McCartney.

The-Family-Way-1966-1.jpg

• LawrenceA likes this

#32 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

MoreActor Hywel Bennett, known for his roles in Shelley and EastEnders, has died aged 73 

DGUYSyeUIAERFU2.jpg

I thought that name was familiar, although the face wasn't. I've never seen the shows listed, but I did know Hywel Bennett from a thriller back in 1968 titled Twisted Nerve. He looked a bit different then.

6160-3.jpg

• Bogie56 likes this

#33 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

Ty Hardin (January 1, 1930-August 3, 2017) - TV and film actor, best known for his starring role on TV's Bronco (1958-1962). His film roles included I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958), Last Train from Gun Hill (1959), Merrill's Marauders (1962), The Chapman Report (1962), Palm Springs Weekend (1963), Battle of the Bulge (1965), Berserk! (1967), and Custer of the West (1967), among others. He was reportedly the first actor considered for Sergio Leone's Man with No Name trilogy, as well as the producers' first choice for TV's Batman.

1164884.jpg

4f3737bf80c82382be2462784580c164--real-c

#34 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

Actor Hywel Bennett, known for his roles in Shelley and EastEnders, has died aged 73 http://bbc.in/2vmfXZb 

DGUYSyeUIAERFU2.jpg

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#35 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:39 AM

http://www.npr.org/s...ones-dies-at-93

Judith Jones may not have been a household name, but without her, some of the world's most famous books may never have made it to many library and kitchen shelves.

The editor died Wednesday at her home in Vermont, according to a statement from the publisher Knopf.

She was 93.

Her stepdaughter said the cause was complications from Alzheimer's disease.

Jones worked at Knopf for more than five decades. She retired in 2011 as senior editor and vice president.

It was 1950 when Jones at age 27 was working in Paris as an editorial assistant at Doubleday Publishing. She stumbled upon a book in the discard pile as she was in the middle of writing rejection letters. This one, however, she could not put down. She was struck by the face on the cover. It was Anne Frank.

"I read all afternoon with the tears coming down my face," Jones told NPR's Jacki Lyden in a 1998 interview. "When my boss got back, it was evening by then. He said, 'What are you doing still here?' And I said, 'We have to have this book!' And he said, 'What? That book by that kid?'"

The book by that kid became The Diary of Anne Frank. It had already been released in German and Dutch, but Jones convinced her bosses to publish it in the United States, vastly expanding its readership.

It went on to sell more than 30 million copies worldwide in more than 60 languages.

That canny move convinced Knopf to hire Jones in 1957. Once again she persuaded a publishing house to take a risk on another rejected work; this one a manuscript co-authored by Julia Child.

Jones got Mastering the Art of French Cooking published in 1961 and helped revolutionize the way Americans cook.

As Jones wrote in her 2007 autobiography The Tenth Muse: My Life in Food:

"With a new, exotic, unfamiliar style of cooking, more than ever we are flying blind — we may never even have tasted the dish we are trying to reproduce — and we need a lot of hand-holding. So I kept my eyes and ears, to say nothing of my taste buds, open to the kind of writer-cook who was particularly gifted, like Julia, at explaining the techniques of a different cooking culture."

Throughout her career, Jones championed various cookbook authors who went on to become icons: James Beard, Marcella Hazan and Lida Bastianich, said Knopf in its statement.

She also worked with such luminary authors as John Updike and Anne Tyler.

In addition to editing, she wrote several books about cooking and baking, some alongside her husband, Evan Jones, reports The Washington Post.

She leaves behind four children and stepchildren, five grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren, says The Post.

• ChristineHoard, midwestan and film lover 293 like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#36 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:24 AM

Sam Shepard, playwright, director and actor, has died from ALS at age 73 per THE DAILY BEAST.

Saw that while watching the evening news last night.  Sounded like they said he died several days earlier.  If true, I wonder at the delay of announcement.

Although it was asked about pilot  CHUCK YEAGER , who Sam played in "The Right Stuff", that scene near the end could well be said of Sam.

When the scene of Yeager, walking away from a crashed test plane was seen in the distance and someone asks, "Is that a MAN?"  and the reply was..."It sure IS!"   ....or words to that effect.  :)

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#37 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,792 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

I wonder if Laddie took his "step-up" Box with him.

When Laddie wasn't working with his made in heaven actresses, like Veronica Lake and June Allyson, the studio provided him with a "step-up" Box so he could easily kiss the ladies who were a tad bit taller than him.

I read an anecdote in Googies Coffeeshop to the Stars about a practical joke pulled on Alan Ladd by stage hands regarding his "step up" box. It was on the set of Botany Bay and Ladd was wearing leg irons for his role as a prisoner. While he was taking a nap one day in his trailer a grip sneaked into the trailer and secured his leg irons to the 2x4 wooden box that he used to "heighten" himself in some scenes.

Writes Steve Hayes, author of the book, who witnessed the joke:

Word of the joke leaked to everyone on the set and we were all "casually" sitting around the sound-stage when Ladd woke up. We heard him curse as he found himself chained to the block and we all waited eagerly to see what would happen next.

Ladd fooled everyone. Shortly he emerged as if nothing were amiss, nonchalantly dragging the 2x4 down the trailer steps as if he didn't notice it. He then grinned, waved to everyone and in his inimitable deep gravelly voice said, "I'd like to thank the thoughtful **** who did this. Now I'll never have to worry about finding something to stand on!" And as everyone around him cracked up he calmly made his way to the set.

We all applauded. And after Ladd was out of earshot (one of the stage hands) turned to us and said, "And that, boys and girls, is how you become a class act!"

• Princess of Tap likes this

#38 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

Sam Shepard, playwright, director and actor, has died from ALS at age 73 per THE DAILY BEAST.

I've always thought that Dolly Parton and he made the most believable of the Steel Magnolias couples.  He was such a talent in all phases of theater and film; it's great that he's leaving such a legacy of work that will live long past this day.  R.I.P., sir.

• HelenBaby2 likes this

#39 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

• mr6666 likes this

#40 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

https://www.theguard...im-dies-aged-89

TvSFKHV.jpg

Jeanne Moreau, the actress best known for her performance in French New Wave classic Jules et Jim, has died aged 89 at her home in Paris, her agent has said.

A director, screenwriter and singer as well as a stage and screen actor, Moreau came to prominence with a series of roles in films considered part of the French New Wave, including Lift to the Scaffold and Jules et Jim. She also appeared in a number of Hollywood films, such as The Last Tycoon and Orson Welles’s adaptation of Franz Kafka’s The Trial.

In a statement on Twitter, the French president, Emmanuel Macron, paid tribute to Moreau, saying that the actor “embodied cinema” and was a free spirit who “always rebelled against the established order”.

Moreau was born in Paris in 1928. Her father was a French restaurateur; her mother was a cabaret dancer from Oldham who moved to Paris in her 20s and later performed at the Folies Bergère. In a 2001 interview with the Guardian, Moreau credited her mother’s heritage with influencing her own somewhat detached personality. “People in France could see I was different from the usual actresses of that time. Maybe that’s why I attracted so many Anglo-Saxon directors like Orson Welles and Tony Richardson. In French, one says ‘Ma langue maternelle est le français [my mother tongue is French].’ But I say: ‘Ma langue maternelle est l’anglais.’ My feminine side is English,” she said.

Moreau began her acting career on stage, and became a leading figure in the Comédie-Française. In the 1950s she moved to film, and achieved national recognition with starring roles in two Louis Malle movies: the film noir Lift to the Scaffold and the drama Les Amants (The Lovers). The films proved controversial, with Les Amants becoming the subject of an obscenity case in the US supreme court, yet both are now considered landmark works. In 1960, Moreau best actress prize at Cannes for Seven Days… Seven Nights.

But it was Jules et Jim that made Moreau an international name. Directed by François Truffaut, the stylish 1962 film was set during the first world war and depicted a love triangle between Moreau’s character, Catherine, and the titular Jules (Oskar Werner) and Jim (Henri Serre). Jules et Jim has proved hugely influential, becoming synonymous with the French New Wave movement and regularly appearing on best-of lists.

Moreau almost appeared in another landmark 1960s role – Mrs Robinson in The Graduate, but turned down the part. Her career continued into her later years. In 1992, she won the César award for best actress for her performance in The Old Lady Who Walked in the Sea. She also directed two films of her own: Lumière (1976) and L’Adolescente (1979).

A notoriously difficult interviewee, Moreau responded with characteristic sharpness when asked if she ever felt nostalgic for the French New Wave. “Nostalgia for what? Nostalgia is when you want things to stay the same. I know so many people staying in the same place. And I think, my God, look at them! They’re dead before they die. That’s a terrible risk. Living is risking.”

• mr6666, Bogie56 and Princess of Tap like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users