We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Body And Soul" & "Annie Hall" Should Be Essentials-What Do You Think

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

..and there were many boxing movies in the '40s , '50s, and '60s.

That theme would be a good one for a Friday night spotlight. In fact, they should do a month of sports-related classic films.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:00 AM

BODY AND SOUL, definitely -- I think it's one of the two or three all-time great boxing movies.

..and there were many boxing movies in the '40s , '50s, and '60s.

#3 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

BODY AND SOUL, definitely -- I think it's one of the two or three all-time great boxing movies.

#4 AndreaDoria

AndreaDoria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:00 AM

I also feel one of the Merchant-Ivory pictures should be included. Either A ROOM WITH A VIEW; HOWARDS END or THE REMAINS OF THE DAY. 

"Howards End," and "The Remains of the Day," are in my own top ten list of films -- I believe I've watched "Howards End," about twenty times. Yet, so many people I know find them both boring.  I guess I expect an "Essential," to have been around longer and have a more universal appeal.  "Annie Hall" is much more popular, although it's not a favorite of mine, but I still wouldn't put it in TCM's "Essential's" list because, to me, it's just a little too new for that.

#5 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:51 AM

To me an "Essential" film is one that stands the test of time.

The definition of the word "classic" is something that is timeless & transends culture. In other words, most any one at any time can understand & enjoy it. This goes for all arts; architecture, music, etc. An Australian or Japanese person can enjoy Mozart or Edgar Allan Poe, for example.

If you are interested in movies, you should see those that epitomize the medium. It embodies all that makes a movie a communicative art form; including great writing, great acting and a great visual....for example THE WIZARD OF OZ.

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

ANNIE HALL is already shown frequently on TCM, and other channels. BODY AND SOUL is not.

But does obscurity make something more of an Essential, than something that is aired regularly? I think the criteria for classic film is separate from availability.

• BrianBlake likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

To me an "Essential" film is one that stands the test of time. A film that draws the viewer in and makes the viewer want to watch the film again and again and again because each viewing is better than the one before it. I feel that way about "Body And Soul" starring John Garfield and Lili Palmer and "Annie Hall" starring Diane Keaton and Woody Allen. What do you think about my Essential picks and what are yours?

ANNIE HALL is already shown frequently on TCM, and other channels. BODY AND SOUL is not.

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

I am sure ANNIE HALL will get picked at some point...how could it not?

#9 BrianBlake

BrianBlake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBethesda, MD

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:45 AM

Both are strong picks. Annie Hall must not be in the library or something because it's a great movie or Woody's scandals have kept it staved out. Nevertheless, Annie Hall is both not only one of the most accessible Woody Allen movies which is almost a genre unto itself, but also one of the best. It's a foundational movie for the romantic comedies that followed in the 80s and particularly the 90s as the rom com genre began to best less about women in the workplace or women's equality like the ones you found in the 70s and 80s, most popularly in Tootsie. And Annie Hall was an Oscar winner for best picture, and it is perhaps the definitive Diane Keaton performance next to Woody Allen. 

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

There are a lot of essential classic films that have not been featured yet on TCM's weekly series. Some of it has to do with certain titles not being in TCM's library. And some of it has to do with the co-hosts not picking films you and I may choose.

I would like to see BODY AND SOUL, I think that's a strong choice. 

I also feel one of the Merchant-Ivory pictures should be included. Either A ROOM WITH A VIEW; HOWARDS END or THE REMAINS OF THE DAY. 

• AndreaDoria likes this

#11 MarshaKatz

MarshaKatz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:05 PM

To me an "Essential" film is one that stands the test of time. A film that draws the viewer in and makes the viewer want to watch the film again and again and again because each viewing is better than the one before it. I feel that way about "Body And Soul" starring John Garfield and Lili Palmer and "Annie Hall" starring Diane Keaton and Woody Allen. What do you think about my Essential picks and what are yours?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users