We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Best nose jo...I mean rhinoplasty in Hollywood

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

There's  an old Twilight Zone episode about this, "Number 12 Looks Just Like You." Here's a couple of links, one to an article about the show, and another to the episode itself.

By the way, my own nose is quite average,it's not large, or bumpy, or whatever else is regarded as "ugly". Just so people won't think I have an ulterior motive in my opinion on this.

https://en.wikipedia...s_Just_Like_You

[...]

Edited by TCMModerator1, 01 August 2015 - 07:16 AM.
Video removed due to copyright concerns

• EugeniaH likes this

"....What is it?"

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

#42 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

I do not agree with the idea of people altering their faces just because they think they don't fit a certain arbitrary societal aesthetic as to what "beauty" is. If everyone who had what is considered an "imperfect" nose underwent rhinoplasty, then we'd have a boringly homogenous world full of flawless faces that all look the same.

I'm not a particular fan of Sarah Jessica Parker, but one thing I've always liked and respected her for is her steadfast refusal to get a nose job. She's not beautiful by Hollywood's predictable standards, but she is attractive, in a unique way. And she doesn't look like everyone else, that's for sure.

Another well-known actress who clearly made the decision not to go the rhinoplasty route is Angelica Huston. And yet this woman is sexy and beautiful.

In France they have this concept called "jolie-laide", meaning, literally, "beautiful-ugly". Basically it's about realizing that physical attractiveness comes in many varieties, not all of them conforming to a standard arbitrary notion of beauty.

Here's a wiki definition of "jolie-laide". I wrote the above before reading it and its mention of Angelica Huston.

___________________________________________________________________________-

Jolie laide

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jolie laide (English translation: "beautiful ugly") is the French expression used to describe someone who is unconventionally beautiful. Snaggle teeth, a bump in the nose, closely set eyes are just a few examples of unconventional physical traits, which some might view as deformities, that are embraced under the notion of jolie laide. Although the concept of jolie laide recognizes that men act and women appear (as the writer John Berger once put it), it also recognizes that behind the visceral image lies an internal life.[1] As the literary critic Daphne Merkin put it, jolie laide is "a triumph of personality over physiognomy, the imposition of substance over surface."[1]

It is unclear when and where the term arose in French culture. Some have surmised that the term comes out of Serge Gainsbourg's song "Laide Jolie Laide."[2]

Celebrities commonly thought to encapsulate this notion include: Anjelica Huston whose "regal asymmetry defies the norms of magazine 'pretty'";[3] Sofia Coppola with her "introspective, girl-in-a-Vermeer-painting aura rather than the paint-by-numbers cheerleader vibe of Lindsay Lohan.";[1] Charlotte Gainsbourg with her "melancholic air and the vaguely awkward way she inhabits her lanky body".

• cinemafan, phroso and Bastet like this

"....What is it?"

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

#43 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

No. I'm not confusing Lucy with Shelley Winters. Starting in the 3rd episode of "The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour," she started wearing wigs to cover the tape (it was tape, not strings) that was pulling her wrinkles. She liked how she looked and from then on, always wore the tape facelift apparatus and a wig. She was terrified of plastic surgery. As for her eyebrows, she always drew them on. She had shaved off her original eyebrows when she came out to Hollywood to appear as a slave girl in 1933's "Roman Scandals." Her eyebrows never grew back properly.

Learn something new everyday.

I remember that last debacle of a show Lucy did in the 80's, that camera was so far away, you could barely tell it was her running around the set. That must have been another trick to hide Lucy's aged face.

• film lover 293 likes this

#44 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

Not that she's a star by any means, or even talented, but Ashlee Simpson's nose job made her look a million times better. She had an awful 'bump nose."

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#45 primosprimos

primosprimos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

Don't know if it was the best or not, since I never noticed, since I don't like her, but Jennifer Garner got boo-koo press for her job.

#46 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

No, dear fellow lover of Errol [In Like Flynn] Flynn!

You are confusing her with Shelley Winters, who said they would put rubber bands under her chin and then put a wig on her, for a temporary facelift.

Didn't you ever notice that Lucy's eyebrows just kept getting higher and higher?

Thanks for your idea though...

No. I'm not confusing Lucy with Shelley Winters. Starting in the 3rd episode of "The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour," she started wearing wigs to cover the tape (it was tape, not strings) that was pulling her wrinkles. She liked how she looked and from then on, always wore the tape facelift apparatus and a wig. She was terrified of plastic surgery. As for her eyebrows, she always drew them on. She had shaved off her original eyebrows when she came out to Hollywood to appear as a slave girl in 1933's "Roman Scandals." Her eyebrows never grew back properly.
  • EugeniaH, GGGGerald and film lover 293 like this

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#47 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

Not a classic actress but, Halle Berry has built a fine career with a new nose. I was watching an old film called (Boomerang 1992) and I couldn't stop staring at her nose    :D

Halle-Berry-Plastic-Surgery-Nose-Job.jpg

#48 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

Try to catch pre-nose job Paul Newman in The Silver Chalice (1954).  Probably the most interesting aspect of that turkey.

• Dargo and film lover 293 like this

#49 CaveGirl

CaveGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

No, dear fellow lover of Errol [In Like Flynn] Flynn!

You are confusing her with Shelley Winters, who said they would put rubber bands under her chin and then put a wig on her, for a temporary facelift.

Didn't you ever notice that Lucy's eyebrows just kept getting higher and higher?

Thanks for your idea though...

#50 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

I don't believe Lucy ever had a facelift. She wore a wig that covered a cap containing set of strings (rubber bands?) that pulled her face taut.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#51 CaveGirl

CaveGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Nothing more fun than watching an old movie and thinking that someone's nose or other feature looks a bit different than what one has been used to.

Now imagine my disappointment, after watching "Grease" and finding out that Edd Byrnes, the youthful star of 77 Sunset Strip and other teen classics, had not only had a name change but a nose change! And there were even photos on the Net from the Confidential days.

Another guy who looked a heck of a lot more attractive, after surgery was Alex Cord. I wonder if that was what made Joanne Pettet marry him.

We all know that Danny Thomas, Jimmy Durante and Tiny Tim never had nose jobs though Mrs, Calabash might have preferred one, but I think that even someone as lovely as Rhonda Fleming had one, as she looked a bit different in that film where she played a nymphomaniac.

Marilyn surely had one, as they removed a bump or something and it looked really different in that recent TCM showing of the chorus girl movie.

I used to think Peter O'Toole had one or maybe Morgan Fairchild but I have come to believe some people actually do just have chiseled noses like that.

Hollywood is full of horrid facelifts like those of Mary Pickford or Lucy, but occasionally even the men get them and ruin their looks like Jack Lemmon. Why, Jack why???

Probably the most infamous nose job in Hollywood history is that of noted Mercury Theatre alumnus, Everett Sloane. You see his real nose in Citizen Kane, but later he had most of that rather cute proboscis trimmed down and never looked the same again. On top of that, he always looked angry and it was said among the cognescenti that he could never look in the mirror again and I think he later committed suicide.

Yes, a bad nose job is a grievous thing, but which are your favorites?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users