We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Thanks to everyone who posted here at TCM's Summer of Darkness

12 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationBall State University

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

I have to echo the sentiments posted above - what a great course!  It appears some have already received their certificates.  What remedies are there for those of us who have completed the course but have not yet received the certificate?

Hi Todddo,

We sent out all the Certificates on 8/18/15. Some people emailed us to let us know it got stuck in their spam folders, so definitely check to see if you received it but it got moved out of your inbox by your spam filter.

If that is not the case, and you still need the Certificate, email me in Canvas. You can log into Canvas just like you did when the course was live, and my inbox can be found in the upper right hand corner of Canvas. Send me an email and we will get your Certificate right out to you. The reason we need that email is to confirm your Canvas username. Thanks in advance!

And we are trying to resolve the Certificates by this Friday, 9/11/15, so please try to contact us in the next four days if you still need your certificate. 

Thanks so much being a part of #NoirSummer,

Prof. Edwards

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: The Master of Suspense: 50 Years of Hitchcock (2017)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015)

#2 todddo

todddo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:49 AM

I have to echo the sentiments posted above - what a great course!  It appears some have already received their certificates.  What remedies are there for those of us who have completed the course but have not yet received the certificate?

#3 Janeko

Janeko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

My certificate of completion for the course came the other day and I just printed it out and framed it today.  I can't tell you how proud I am of this certificate.  Everyone involved in the course taught me so much!! 

I want to say a heartfelt thank you once more to TCM, Dr. Edwards, Ball State University,  Eddie Muller, and everyone else who made this course possible. The logistics of putting the course together and effectively providing a wonderful learning experience for almost 21,000 people must be unbelievably complicated!!  So, thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I really miss the course, especially the "daily doses."  I am so hoping that additional courses will be offered on other noir related topics so that we can all continue learning!! 

From now on, there will always be a special place in my heart for film noir....

#4 Neo-Noir

Neo-Noir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

Dear Prof Edwards,

Thank you for the wonderful course I have enjoyed very much
Please keep me in a mailing list for future online courses
Kind Regards

#5 pstarfan77

pstarfan77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

I also want to thank Dr. Edwards and all the others who made this course possible. I discovered it about 2 weeks after it began. At that same time, I became involved in a new project that required a great deal of time for preparation and practice, which left me with much less time for the Noir course. I only found time to watch some of the films, read the Daily Doses, and take the exams. I regret not having the time to participate in any of the discussions. I hope to catch up with some of them.

I've missed the course a great deal, since it ended, and I hope there will be others in the future. A final thank you to all those involved in germinating the idea that led to this project. TCM is a jewel.

#6 Bill Holmes

Bill Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for everything, Dr. Edwards - a fascinating course that was always captivating, and enhanced greatly by the community spirit. I had so much fun reading the posts from my fellow students, several of which caused me to watch a scene (or film) again from a different perspective. Please pass our sincere gratitude to all who made this work, especially those behind the scenes at Canvas, Ball State and TCM.

I hope that our participation inspired *you* (and Eddie Muller, and TCM) enough to consider another online course somewhere down the line. Perhaps neo-noir, Euro-Asian noir, or the film sources of noir we discussed (German Expressionism, Universal horror films, gangster films from Warner Brothers, etc.) would prove a worthwhile subject, especially approached as a precedent (or exponent) of the era we studied.

I plan to stick around here in the "offseason" and hope many of my fellow students do as well. Please don't be a stranger!

• ThePaintedLady and camarks like this

#7 Eliana

Eliana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

Thank you for creating this amazing course! I'm not sure I even had a clue what Film Noir was before this began. 100+ movies later, I'm definitely getting the hang of it. Any other amazing classes in the works???

Eliana

#8 dVertov

dVertov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

Thanks again, Professor Edwards. It has been a wonderful experience and I have learned a lot during the course. Many folks at the forums really know what they are talking about and I also have learned a lot reading their posts. Congrats to you, your entire team, my colleagues, Eddie Muller, Canvas and TCM.

I hope you can once in a while drop a comment or resource to keep things going. Or even better, a new course. 

Thanks everybody! 

#9 camarks

camarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

I just want to add my thanks to Professor Edwards, TCM & Eddie Mueller. This was a fantastic course and exceeded my expectations. I'm sad to see it end.

I learned so much about these films and time era. I echo the sentiment, "I will never look at films the same way again".

I still have a full DVR to watch so I hope to continue to post here and share insights.

Thanks!

• crimewave likes this

#10 maryannlewis

maryannlewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationWest Melbourne, FL

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

For the record:  I am in awe that you successfully ran a class for more than two thousand students.  That is madness and amazing!  Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise.  I will never look at movies the same way again - and that's a good thing!

Thank you again!

#11 Dubbed

Dubbed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

Thank you Professor Edwards, TCM, Eddie Mueller, and all of the students of this Film Noir course! This course was absolutely incredible, and I enjoyed everything about it! My love for film noir, even film in general, has grown deeper and deeper.

In gaining more insight into all of those underlying meanings within a film, I've come to a complete realization that artistic intricacies are a part of artists' being. Therefore, the artists are giving us a front row seat to a piece of their soul. And for this, I could not be more honored.

I can only hope TCM and Professor Edwards will take us on another one of these journeys again in the near future. Until then, keep on watching those films everyone. A gaining of deeper insight into an artform can give us a profound understanding of ourselves.

Many thanks to all!

#12 crimewave

crimewave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:03 AM

Professor Edwards,

Thank you so much for creating the Into The Darkness: Investigating Film Noir course that was available to everyone for free.  How generous of you.

The course was so good, so informational, that I have spent way too much time and had way too much fun furthering my love for film noir.  Additionally, integrating TCM and Eddie Muller really added an enormous extra dimension and made the course truly something special.

As I wrote to one of the students earlier today, I hope enjoy the rest of your summer (of darkness)!

Regards,

Mark Penberthy

“crimewave”

• camarks likes this

#13 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationBall State University

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

As #NoirSummer course wrapping up tonight, I wanted to make sure I left a message here for all the fabulous posters at the TCM Message Board for #NoirSummer.

I wish we could have thrown a #NoirSummer wrap party, like they do on a movie set, when a production wraps up! Though we would probably need a pretty big soundstage to fit all the students we have here under one roof!

Over the last nine weeks, I have read these threads and posts, and can honestly say, to everyone who posted here, you have created an amazing archive of posts on the topic of film noir. There is so much analysis, commentary, and insight. There have been over 10,500+ posts, or more than 1,000 a week!

Thank you so much! The energy and passion of this noir community is palpable. I hope everyone loved every minute of TCM's Summer of Darkness. It was absolutely great to share in 120 films noir with this community and 32 Daily Doses of Darkness. Fridays for while just won't be the same. 

Since this message board will remain open, I hope the postings continue too, as TCM shows lots of films noir throughout every month. And there are still plenty of ones that we haven't discussed yet. Film noir has no bottom, just a treasure trove of great films for us to watch, enjoy and talk about. 

It's been a pleasure for me to be a part of this community this summer. See you at the movies! 

Yours in Noir,

Richard Edwards

Instructor, TCM Presents Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir

June 1 to August 3, 2015

• MyMoll, ThePaintedLady, JaneNoir and 8 others like this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: The Master of Suspense: 50 Years of Hitchcock (2017)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users