We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Persons with Disability?

Disability handicapp mobility

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:15 AM

HelenBaby2; You are so lucky to attend  these events.

Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#2 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

Hi HelenBaby2:
Thank you for your answer. I just read your update on the latest TCM Cruise in the General Discussion. Thanks for the 'tidbits', always interesting to find out details.
Were you impressed with the cruise? Are people able to approach Robert, Ben and the other guest stars? I suppose what I am getting at, do the TCM stars have an entourage surrounding them which would make it uncomfortable or prohibitive to approach them?
Cheers, Violet

Some of the guests are very easy to approach. I didn't see her but one of my table mates rode the elevator with Eva Marie Saint & her husband. This same guy told me that Ruta Lee was taking selfies with everyone when we were at Castaway Cay. I saw quite a bit of Ben and Illeana Douglas. Not together but at various locations throughout the ship. One day when I was going to one of the venues for some event, Angie Dickinson was right in front of me but some guy started talking to her and so I didn't get to speak. I did talk with some of the TCM people. I talked to Eddie Muller on the elevator.

So yeah, some are more approachable than others. For example, I've been on 4 of the 5 cruises and I've only seen Robert Osborne twice outside official events on the ship.

#3 LatriceRoyale

LatriceRoyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

There are elevators but they are quite small. There's room for scooters and wheelchairs but not much else. The doors are heavy but I did notice that there are buttons to push to open them. There are lots of mobility challenged folks on the one I went on (time before last-same ship though) and I felt it wasn't that conducive for getting around if you have challenges. However, I'm not telling you to skip it. It would probably help to have someone with you to negotiate the doorways and other places. The ship is definitely made for younger people and small children.

Hi HelenBaby2:

Thank you for your answer. I just read your update on the latest TCM Cruise in the General Discussion. Thanks for the 'tidbits', always interesting to find out details.

Were you impressed with the cruise? Are people able to approach Robert, Ben and the other guest stars? I suppose what I am getting at, do the TCM stars have an entourage surrounding them which would make it uncomfortable or prohibitive to approach them?

Cheers, Violet

You cannot have it both ways.  A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never!

Boris Lermontov

#4 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:08 AM

There are elevators but they are quite small. There's room for scooters and wheelchairs but not much else. The doors are heavy but I did notice that there are buttons to push to open them. There are lots of mobility challenged folks on the one I went on (time before last-same ship though) and I felt it wasn't that conducive for getting around if you have challenges. However, I'm not telling you to skip it. It would probably help to have someone with you to negotiate the doorways and other places. The ship is definitely made for younger people and small children.

#5 LatriceRoyale

LatriceRoyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:06 AM

Can anybody advise whether a person with disabilities would have the same opportunities to partake in activities during this cruise?
In other words, can a person who needs mobility aids, get around okay on this ship and are the venues suitable for a disabled person?

You cannot have it both ways.  A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never!

Boris Lermontov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users