We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Bromance

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

I really do hate films like "Road To Singapore", which are unable to acknowledge the full extent of the relationship - the real relationship - between the two men.

You know that the film is product of it's time- it's all subtext and played for laughs

• rayban likes this

#2 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

I was watching THE SILENT WORLD again, a DVD I have had for a while and have seen multiple times. We see Jacques-Yves Cousteau (who married twice and had kids) leading an all-MALE expedition in the early fifties. Even the Dachshund on board is male (cue shot of him sleeping on his back exposing his "manhood".) Some of the material is not critter friendly: dynamite at a coral reef is used in the name of science (disturbing scene of dead fish in the water) and a baby s-p-e-r-m whale has to be put out of her misery after the Calypso dangerously glides into a herd for closer examination and she gets cut severely by the ship.

Yet the fun about this film and KON-TIKI (the black and white documentary, not the 2011 dramatization, includes some matter-of-fact full frontal nudity) is all of the bro-bonding with NO women present. Everybody is shirtless with their swimsuits hardly staying up (and probably off frequently when cameras aren't rolling), along with plenty of hugging and bro-buddy affection. You know these guys had to periodically get a "release" with so many months at sea. Maybe they didn't have full on action with each other but there certainly was some mutual "satisfaction" going on. Just like at war time when the soldiers in the trenches couldn't possibly have spent the entire time shooting at the enemy and merely waiting patiently to find a brothel or furlough time with their sweetheart back at home.

So, of course, there is always something questionable about the buddy adventures when Dorothy Lamour wasn't around.

I have not see this film in a long time but I did get the bromantic vibe from the trailer

#3 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

I really do hate films like "Road To Singapore", which are unable to acknowledge the full extent of the relationship - the real relationship - between the two men.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#4 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

"Road To Singapore" - the gay subtext in this film is just SO OBVIOUS - was anybody at the time aware of it? - my God, they even OCCUPY THE SAME BED! - as a comedy team, I find them "swarmy" - because they are just so close to being "lovers" - in fact, they probably are, but would never admit it - after all, Dorothy Lamour is around to do all of that housekeeping - by the way, where does she sleep?!

I was watching THE SILENT WORLD again, a DVD I have had for a while and have seen multiple times. We see Jacques-Yves Cousteau (who married twice and had kids) leading an all-MALE expedition in the early fifties. Even the Dachshund on board is male (cue shot of him sleeping on his back exposing his "manhood".) Some of the material is not critter friendly: dynamite at a coral reef is used in the name of science (disturbing scene of dead fish in the water) and a baby s-p-e-r-m whale has to be put out of her misery after the Calypso dangerously glides into a herd for closer examination and she gets cut severely by the ship.

Yet the fun about this film and KON-TIKI (the black and white documentary, not the 2011 dramatization, includes some matter-of-fact full frontal nudity) is all of the bro-bonding with NO women present. Everybody is shirtless with their swimsuits hardly staying up (and probably off frequently when cameras aren't rolling), along with plenty of hugging and bro-buddy affection. You know these guys had to periodically get a "release" with so many months at sea. Maybe they didn't have full on action with each other but there certainly was some mutual "satisfaction" going on. Just like at war time when the soldiers in the trenches couldn't possibly have spent the entire time shooting at the enemy and merely waiting patiently to find a brothel or furlough time with their sweetheart back at home.

So, of course, there is always something questionable about the buddy adventures when Dorothy Lamour wasn't around.

• jaragon and rayban like this

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

"Road To Singapore" - the gay subtext in this film is just SO OBVIOUS - was anybody at the time aware of it? - my God, they even OCCUPY THE SAME BED! - as a comedy team, I find them "swarmy" - because they are just so close to being "lovers" - in fact, they probably are, but would never admit it - after all, Dorothy Lamour is around to do all of that housekeeping - by the way, where does she sleep?!

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

In MGM's "Honeymoon Hotel", when Robert Morse is abandoned at the altar by fiancee Ann Helm, his good friend/roomie Robert Goulet suggests that they should honor the "honeymoon reservations" anyway (?!).

The bromance in this film is very interesting, because Morse and Goulet never really realize how attached at the hip they are.

Needless to say, the two guys never get "any".

And why should they - they already have each other.

release-date-june-3-1964-movie-title-hon

#7 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

Jarrod, yes and yes.

There are just so many examples of "bromance" throughout the years on the big screen.

One of my absolute favorites is the "bromance" between Sam Waterston (Nick Carraway) and Robert Redford (Jay Gatsby) in "The Great Gatsby".

1974-gatsby.jpg

This is more evident in the last remake in which Nick (Toby Maguire)  and Leonardo Dicaprio's Gatsby had more chemistry with each other - than Leo had with the girl playing Daisy.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

One of my absolute favorites is the "bromance" between Sam Waterston (Nick Carraway) and Robert Redford (Jay Gatsby) in "The Great Gatsby".

1974-gatsby.jpg

I probably need to re-view this film.

• jaragon and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#9 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:00 PM

The one between Sebastian Flyte (Anthony Andrews) and Jeremy Irons (Charles Ryder) in the TV mini-series version of "Brideshead Revisited" - the relationship had no sex, but it was terribly intense - the later film version changed the dynamics -

6834104.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#10 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

I had a thought about this thread today while I was riding around town. And Ronald Reagan came to mind...twice.

First, I think Reagan and Errol Flynn have a bromance in SANTA FE TRAIL. I would also say that Reagan and Robert Cummings have a bromance in KINGS ROW.

Agree/disagree...?

Jarrod, yes and yes.

There are just so many examples of "bromance" throughout the years on the big screen.

1974-gatsby.jpg

• TopBilled and jaragon like this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

I had a thought about this thread today while I was riding around town. And Ronald Reagan came to mind...twice.

First, I think Reagan and Errol Flynn have a bromance in SANTA FE TRAIL. I would also say that Reagan and Robert Cummings have a bromance in KINGS ROW.

Agree/disagree...?

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

This seems to be a modern term. But I wonder if there are any classic films from the 30s, 40s or 50s that we can say have bromantic elements in them...?

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users