We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Questions from a will-be first time festival attendee

TCM Film Fest 2016

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:17 PM

Katie and other first-time attendees,

Just a note about food. There are several food options in the Hollywood and Highland open-air mall where the multiplex with the smaller screens is located, including several fast-food options. These have been known to change from year to year, but several are located near the entrance to the multiplex, which is on the second level of the mall.

Across the side street from the Roosevelt is a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, and a fast-food Mexican place is only a few doors down. There's an In & Out Burger a block or so behind the Roosevelt (Californians swear by In & Out). There are restaurants and fast food close to the Egyptian Theater as well.

After the first day this will all make sense to you. The locations are within easy walking distance. On Hollywood Boulevard you'll have to push past tourists (not our film festival people) and people in tacky costumes trying to get cash from the tourists. This is the only down aspect of the festival, and it doesn't matter next to all the great things.

Do schedule time for meals. Some of us try to squeeze in one decent meal a day (granted, I once had dinner at 4:00 because of the movie schedule) along with breakfast at your hotel and a quick grab for another meal.

I've had a Classic Pass for the first six festivals, and that's always been a great choice for me. If there's a movie that's a must-see for you, show up an hour in advance to get your "Queue Card," which gives you a numbered place in line. They start seating about 20-30 minutes before the show starts. In six years I've never missed a movie this way, although at one of the smaller venues I cut it close and got one of the last six seats.

Do talk to people in line. All you have to do is ask, "What movies have you seen?"

• SueSueApplegate likes this

#2 katie1218

katie1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

Katie,

So glad to hear that you are coming to the Festival next year! It is always a great deal of fun. I have enjoyed having a Classic Pass for the last six film festivals and have never been disappointed. As others have noted, you are able to enjoy all the screenings except the opening night gala film and party but the poolside screening that is held at the same evening usually makes up for that!

It also gives you access to all the events and panels at Club TCM including the always informative "Meet the TCM Staff" on Thursday afternoon, the closing night party and the great panels (this year I was able to see Scott Eyman interview Peter Fonda about his father and family as well as Shirley MacLaine and Terry Leonard talking about his career as a stunt man. I usually enjoy the panels more than the films!

But, either way, you won't be disappointed. It is a terrific four days in Hollywood where you will be surrounded by people who love movies as much as you do! Don't be afraid to strike up conversations while you are standing in line as that gives you the opportunity to meet others.

Be sure to check out Sue Sue Applegate's thread in the TCM Festival General Discussion forum as she always is up on the scoops and generous with details.

Also, when you have the time, browse the other threads in that forum as there is a wealth of information about lodging, restaurants, places of interest and previous festivals.

See you in April!!!!

I have decided to go with the Classic pass for sure. It just seems like a better experience all around. I can't wait to meet everyone!! Thanks for your advice!

#3 katie1218

katie1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

Katie welcome, your going to have the time of your life, as I like to say this is the one place you have something in common with everyone.  A few things getting in touch TCM has a presence  on social network, twitter & Facebook, through the message board  as well. SueSueApplegate does an amazing job  under general discussions keeping everyone up to date on the festival so be sure to check back often. As for the passes it’s really what you want to get out of it but let me put this out here for everyone when you go and queue up for an event Spotlight pass holders have preferential treatment over everyone so you can get to an event at the crack of dawn and think your 1st in line but it doesn’t work that way since they are put in front of you no matter what time they get there  and if the event has limited space you can only hope to get in, I’ve been lucky and only been shut out of a few of them.   Personally I’ve always had the Classic and it works fine for me but  if you are  going solo  or with someone that can figure into it as well and  what you don’t spend on the Spotlight you can direct the funds toward other things for shopping, dining lodging. The Roosevelt where the festival is held is sold out (as always) I stay at the Comfort Inn on Sunset Blvd, it has free parking, breakfast and is  safe, very reasonable and 5 min from the festival and you are in the thick of Hollywood since I’m only in the room to sleep and rest up since I spend most of the time watching movies  and at Club TCM ( I can’t wait)  or other festival  venues.  Finally the staff is very helpful as is anyone attending, I’ve been to many an event but I can say with all honesty here you’re  going to meet the nicest people and strangers become friends and 4 days go by in what seems like the blink of an eye

Thanks for your advice! I finally booked my hotel and can't wait!!

#4 katie1218

katie1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:17 PM

Hi Katie -- Happy for you that you'll be attending the Festival next year! You won't regret it -- it's a great time.

If you can afford either the Classic or the Palace, by all means go with the Classic.  It will get you access to all screenings and panels, with the only exceptions of the opening night red carpet screening & party. The Palace will limit you to the screenings at the two large theaters and the poolside screenings; you'll be shut out of the fun and panels at Club TCM and all the screenings at the 3-5 other theaters involved.

Your top priority right now should be to secure your lodging, if you haven't done that yet.  The Roosevelt is already sold out. Nice, centrally-located and reasonably-priced hotels go fast after the dates are announced and you can be left with the very expensive ($400+ a night, like the W or the Loews Hollywood), the dives, or the far-away.  It's best if you can book somewhere that is a reasonable walking distance from the venues.  Tripadvisor.com can be very helpful to find a place. If you can't find a good hotel in your price range, you may want to also check out vacation rental sites like homeaway.com and vrbo.com.

As far as the screenings go, you're usually safe if you arrive a half-hour or more early.  There are a couple of smaller theaters that do fill up from time to time. Sometimes they will replay those films on Sunday, if a lot of people were turned away. Plan on eating some of your meals while in line (McDonald's snack wraps and Auntie Anne pretzel dogs have gotten me through many Festivals!).

Have fun planning your trip! There's usually an embarrassment of riches at the Festival, and you'll be making some tough decisions.  But that's half the fun!  :)

Thank you so much for your advice. I booked my hotel and am so excited!! I think I will be going with the Classic pass based on everyone's feedback.

#5 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts
  • LocationCity of the Angels- San Fernando Valley division

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

Katie,

So glad to hear that you are coming to the Festival next year! It is always a great deal of fun. I have enjoyed having a Classic Pass for the last six film festivals and have never been disappointed. As others have noted, you are able to enjoy all the screenings except the opening night gala film and party but the poolside screening that is held at the same evening usually makes up for that!

It also gives you access to all the events and panels at Club TCM including the always informative "Meet the TCM Staff" on Thursday afternoon, the closing night party and the great panels (this year I was able to see Scott Eyman interview Peter Fonda about his father and family as well as Shirley MacLaine and Terry Leonard talking about his career as a stunt man. I usually enjoy the panels more than the films!

But, either way, you won't be disappointed. It is a terrific four days in Hollywood where you will be surrounded by people who love movies as much as you do! Don't be afraid to strike up conversations while you are standing in line as that gives you the opportunity to meet others.

Be sure to check out Sue Sue Applegate's thread in the TCM Festival General Discussion forum as she always is up on the scoops and generous with details.

Also, when you have the time, browse the other threads in that forum as there is a wealth of information about lodging, restaurants, places of interest and previous festivals.

See you in April!!!!

"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#6 Wallace Reid

Wallace Reid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:16 AM

Katie welcome, your going to have the time of your life, as I like to say this is the one place you have something in common with everyone.  A few things getting in touch TCM has a presence  on social network, twitter & Facebook, through the message board  as well. SueSueApplegate does an amazing job  under general discussions keeping everyone up to date on the festival so be sure to check back often. As for the passes it’s really what you want to get out of it but let me put this out here for everyone when you go and queue up for an event Spotlight pass holders have preferential treatment over everyone so you can get to an event at the crack of dawn and think your 1st in line but it doesn’t work that way since they are put in front of you no matter what time they get there  and if the event has limited space you can only hope to get in, I’ve been lucky and only been shut out of a few of them.   Personally I’ve always had the Classic and it works fine for me but  if you are  going solo  or with someone that can figure into it as well and  what you don’t spend on the Spotlight you can direct the funds toward other things for shopping, dining lodging. The Roosevelt where the festival is held is sold out (as always) I stay at the Comfort Inn on Sunset Blvd, it has free parking, breakfast and is  safe, very reasonable and 5 min from the festival and you are in the thick of Hollywood since I’m only in the room to sleep and rest up since I spend most of the time watching movies  and at Club TCM ( I can’t wait)  or other festival  venues.  Finally the staff is very helpful as is anyone attending, I’ve been to many an event but I can say with all honesty here you’re  going to meet the nicest people and strangers become friends and 4 days go by in what seems like the blink of an eye

• SueSueApplegate likes this

#7 ewalvin

ewalvin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:26 PM

Hi Katie -- Happy for you that you'll be attending the Festival next year! You won't regret it -- it's a great time.

If you can afford either the Classic or the Palace, by all means go with the Classic.  It will get you access to all screenings and panels, with the only exceptions of the opening night red carpet screening & party. The Palace will limit you to the screenings at the two large theaters and the poolside screenings; you'll be shut out of the fun and panels at Club TCM and all the screenings at the 3-5 other theaters involved.

Your top priority right now should be to secure your lodging, if you haven't done that yet.  The Roosevelt is already sold out. Nice, centrally-located and reasonably-priced hotels go fast after the dates are announced and you can be left with the very expensive ($400+ a night, like the W or the Loews Hollywood), the dives, or the far-away.  It's best if you can book somewhere that is a reasonable walking distance from the venues.  Tripadvisor.com can be very helpful to find a place. If you can't find a good hotel in your price range, you may want to also check out vacation rental sites like homeaway.com and vrbo.com.

As far as the screenings go, you're usually safe if you arrive a half-hour or more early.  There are a couple of smaller theaters that do fill up from time to time. Sometimes they will replay those films on Sunday, if a lot of people were turned away. Plan on eating some of your meals while in line (McDonald's snack wraps and Auntie Anne pretzel dogs have gotten me through many Festivals!).

Have fun planning your trip! There's usually an embarrassment of riches at the Festival, and you'll be making some tough decisions.  But that's half the fun!  :)

#8 katie1218

katie1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

Hi all! I am planning my first trip out to LA next spring for the 2016 film fest and it will be my first time attending. I was just looking for a good place to get in touch with people who have previously attended because I have a lot of questions and would love some advice.

My biggest concern is about the passes. I don't know if they are the same every year in terms of what you get/don't get with each level. My budget will only allow for one of the cheaper two passes- either the palace or classic. I was unaware until recently that the palace pass doesn't include Thursday. I am really leaning against that so I am more curious about people's thoughts on the classic pass.

Any advice on the passes, logistics of screenings (how early you need to show up to one for a seat, do seats run out? etc.), and hotels would be greatly appreciated. I'd just love any tips and advice from people who have been there before. Thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users