We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Hitchhiker

10 replies to this topic

#1 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

I had the pleasure of watching this film again today.  And, for me, it's still as striking as it was the first time I saw it for our course.  Ida Lupino's direction was excellent!  What I realized today,  and hadn't given a thought to the first time I watched it, was that there were no scenes cut in at any point showing  weeping, fearful wives, families, etc.  The focus was strictly on the men involved.  Wonderful!!

I can't think of any other films noirs directed by a woman -- make of that what you will.

#2 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:12 PM

Sounds quite interesting. I will have to look for a copy of it.

As for Ann Harding, yes she was in STRANGE INTRUDER. I believe it was her last feature film.

Ann Harding was wonderful co-starring with Leslie Howard in THE ANIMAL KINGDOM.

#3 Janeko

Janeko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

Ida was a wonderful actress and a superb director as well!  I did like The Hitch Hiker too.  It never side-tracked to other things; just the same dangerous intent. If Ida had set the main tempo with women in the cast, they would have been interesting too.  A pre-Thelma and Louise would have been intriguing too (with Ida at the helm).!

Film Noir is great and though I have loved classic or "older" films all of my life; lately I have been drifting into FIlm Noir.  I started to make a list recently and 5 of the films on it have Ida Lupino. AS you can imagine, it is a copious list and encompasses great film noir from the late 30's  (The Lady Vanishes) through the early 60's.  Many of these films are great and timeless!

The BIg Knife, Road House, Woman in Hiding, Beware My Lovely, Deep Valley, On Dangerous Ground are some of the films I have watched in the past and re-watched over the summer.  (When I was little I remember our mom saying- whenever there was an
IL film on TV, "That's bound to be good!".  Our dad would agree quite often.  They really got my big sister and I (growing up in the 50's and 60's) interested in watching great films on TV.  By the time I was 8 or 9 I remember watching The Stolen Face with Paul Henreid and Lizabeth Scott.  Around that time I was hooked on classic films!   They just kept coming and we kept watching -  I Wake Up Screaming with Betty Grable, Victor Mature and Carole Landis was a wonderful film noir of the 40's I saw at that time, but they called them Suspense films.   I love the description of Film Noir today - dark and mysterious settings at times and often bleak aspects to enhance the suspense.  It is good that the tradition continues.

I saw I Wake Up Screaming for the first time just the other day and really liked it!!  This morning I watched Nightfall for the first time. While nowhere as intense as The Hitchhiker, it was thoroughly enjoyable!!  I really liked Aldo Ray's laid back performance!!

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

I like Strange Intruder too.  A friend collects books that were made into films.  I read tHe book recently from her, and really thought it was very good as well as the film.  In the film Ida was great and I vaguely remember Ann Harding in a part as her mother?  

I did like Ida in Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.   The Light That Failed  is great where she is a Cockney charwoman who admires soldier Ronald Colman's paintings.  SHe has a crush on his friend (played by Walter Huston).  When she finds that he won't pay any attention to her, she decides to blame Ronald Colman's character, as he had teased her a few times.  That night she slashes his paintings and is amazed he can't see them, as he is going blind..  A very poignant and profound film.

Sounds quite interesting. I will have to look for a copy of it.

As for Ann Harding, yes she was in STRANGE INTRUDER. I believe it was her last feature film.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

THE LIGHT THAT FAILED is one I haven't seen. She is also in one of the early Sherlock Holmes films, made at Fox, before Universal snatched up the rights.

A later film of hers I like a lot is STRANGE INTRUDER-- the focus is on Edmund Purdom's character, as a man of questionable integrity returning home from the Korean War. But Ida has a strong supporting role in it.

I like Strange Intruder too.  A friend collects books that were made into films.  I read tHe book recently from her, and really thought it was very good as well as the film.  In the film Ida was great and I vaguely remember Ann Harding in a part as her mother?  

I did like Ida in Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.   The Light That Failed  is great where she is a Cockney charwoman who admires soldier Ronald Colman's paintings.  SHe has a crush on his friend (played by Walter Huston).  When she finds that he won't pay any attention to her, she decides to blame Ronald Colman's character, as he had teased her a few times.  That night she slashes his paintings and is amazed he can't see them, as he is going blind..  A very poignant and profound film.

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

I love While the City Sleeps too.  THe Hard Way and High Sierra were great,  Ida was a wonderful actress!  Her talent her wonderful legacy as a good director as well will live on.  Darn - I just remembered another -  Ever seen The Light THat Failed?  It is great with our Ida and Ronald Colman!

THE LIGHT THAT FAILED is one I haven't seen. She is also in one of the early Sherlock Holmes films, made at Fox, before Universal snatched up the rights.

A later film of hers I like a lot is STRANGE INTRUDER-- the focus is on Edmund Purdom's character, as a man of questionable integrity returning home from the Korean War. But Ida has a strong supporting role in it.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

All excellent Ida Lupino films. Love them all. I would also add WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS, a Fritz Lang treat where she has a supporting role.

I love While the City Sleeps too.  THe Hard Way and High Sierra were great,  Ida was a wonderful actress!  Her talent her wonderful legacy as a good director as well will live on.  Darn - I just remembered another -  Ever seen The Light THat Failed?  It is great with our Ida and Ronald Colman!

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

The BIg Knife, Road House, Woman in Hiding, Beware My Lovely, Deep Valley, On Dangerous Ground are some of the films I have watched in the past and re-watched over the summer.  

All excellent Ida Lupino films. Love them all. I would also add WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS, a Fritz Lang treat where she has a supporting role.

#9 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

Great observation. I agree. 

What if Ida had cast it with women. Pre-THELMA AND LOUISE. That could've been quite interesting.

Ida was a wonderful actress and a superb director as well!  I did like The Hitch Hiker too.  It never side-tracked to other things; just the same dangerous intent. If Ida had set the main tempo with women in the cast, they would have been interesting too.  A pre-Thelma and Louise would have been intriguing too (with Ida at the helm).!

Film Noir is great and though I have loved classic or "older" films all of my life; lately I have been drifting into FIlm Noir.  I started to make a list recently and 5 of the films on it have Ida Lupino. AS you can imagine, it is a copious list and encompasses great film noir from the late 30's  (The Lady Vanishes) through the early 60's.  Many of these films are great and timeless!

The BIg Knife, Road House, Woman in Hiding, Beware My Lovely, Deep Valley, On Dangerous Ground are some of the films I have watched in the past and re-watched over the summer.  (When I was little I remember our mom saying- whenever there was an
IL film on TV, "That's bound to be good!".  Our dad would agree quite often.  They really got my big sister and I (growing up in the 50's and 60's) interested in watching great films on TV.  By the time I was 8 or 9 I remember watching The Stolen Face with Paul Henreid and Lizabeth Scott.  Around that time I was hooked on classic films!   They just kept coming and we kept watching -  I Wake Up Screaming with Betty Grable, Victor Mature and Carole Landis was a wonderful film noir of the 40's I saw at that time, but they called them Suspense films.   I love the description of Film Noir today - dark and mysterious settings at times and often bleak aspects to enhance the suspense.  It is good that the tradition continues.

• jamesjazzguitar, TopBilled and Marianne like this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

I had the pleasure of watching this film again today.  And, for me, it's still as striking as it was the first time I saw it for our course.  Ida Lupino's direction was excellent!  What I realized today,  and hadn't given a thought to the first time I watched it, was that there were no scenes cut in at any point showing  weeping, fearful wives, families, etc.  The focus was strictly on the men involved.  Wonderful!!

Great observation. I agree. 

What if Ida had cast it with women. Pre-THELMA AND LOUISE. That could've been quite interesting.

• MCannady1, Janeko, HEYMOE and 1 other like this

#11 Janeko

Janeko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

• TopBilled and HEYMOE like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users