We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Dragonwyck" A Great Pre-Horror Vincent Price Movie - Review

Dragonwyck Vincent Price Gene Tierney Movie Review Walter Huston

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

A few nights ago I watched MOSS ROSE, made in 1947 by 20th Century Fox. It's a Victorian gothic mystery and features Vincent Price in a supporting role. The atmosphere reminded me a lot of DRAGONWYCK.

The darker elements are balanced out by the love story between the characters played by Victor Mature and Peggy Cummins.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

IanPatrickMovieReviews--I'll echo TopBilled--Interesting you put Dragonwyck (1946) in the Romance Forum--my choice would have been mystery or suspense.  Especially with all the "hints" of drug addiction that are dropped on the audience (I watched a 6 minute clip to refresh my memory after your review)--& there are hints aplenty dropped on the viewer's head, as well as a 18th (17th?) century insult (Poltroon--means "coward" according to Google)--the meanings All must have sailed over the Production Code's clueless censors.

Props on your admitting sound troubles on this review--good job.

One problem--You came perilously close to giving away too much of the plot for my liking.

I know Gene Tierney was not the finest actress in the world--but she was good in "Whirlpool" (1949), Night and the City (1950) & "The Egyptian" (1954), plus several others.

The smoking jacket was a fine touch. :)

I'm going to think of a way to give "spoiler alerts" in my reviews for people that have not seen the movies. I try not to give too much away, but when I'm reviewing, there are certain scenes that I definitely want to discuss. Also, I mentioned to TopBilled that there is no "suspense" or even "drama" genre forum on TCM...I had to choose the closest thing to the movie so I chose "Romance" because there was definitely an element of that in it. Thanks for the tips!

• film lover 293 likes this

#3 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

IanPatrickMovieReviews--I'll echo TopBilled--Interesting you put Dragonwyck (1946) in the Romance Forum--my choice would have been mystery or suspense.  Especially with all the "hints" of drug addiction that are dropped on the audience (I watched a 6 minute clip to refresh my memory after your review)--& there are hints aplenty dropped on the viewer's head, as well as a 18th (17th?) century insult (Poltroon--means "coward" according to Google)--the meanings All must have sailed over the Production Code's clueless censors.

Props on your admitting sound troubles on this review--good job.

One problem--You came perilously close to giving away too much of the plot for my liking.

I know Gene Tierney was not the finest actress in the world--but she was good in "Whirlpool" (1949), Night and the City (1950) & "The Egyptian" (1954), plus several others.

The smoking jacket was a fine touch. :)

• TopBilled likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

I'm about to put my recent review on "Portrait of Jennie" here on the forum. I will put it here in the "Romance" section as well. 

Cool. I will check it out!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

Haha yes I did! I mentioned it briefly in my video review, and I had the same exact feeling. Peck doesn't feel right for this part at all. If you're enjoying my reviews so far, you can subscribe to me on YouTube to always see when they come out. I'm about to put my recent review on "Portrait of Jennie" here on the forum. I will put it here in the "Romance" section as well. 

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

I would have preferred to put the movie in a "period drama" category but the categories are a bit limited on this website. Romance was the closest thing haha. She was great as the house maid! It's too bad she was not in more scenes. I felt the same way for Price's daughter in it. Considering it was the 40s, I doubt they were willing to show an explicit drug addiction scene. Call me old fashioned, but that's one of the reasons I like classics. They don't have to show too much to get the point across that he is a drug addict. Thanks for the reply, hope you liked the video!

Sure..and thanks for sharing your video reviews.

Did you know that Gregory Peck was the original choice for Price's role in DRAGONWYCK? I can't see Peck pulling it off as well as Price.

#7 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

I would have preferred to put the movie in a "period drama" category but the categories are a bit limited on this website. Romance was the closest thing haha. She was great as the house maid! It's too bad she was not in more scenes. I felt the same way for Price's daughter in it. Considering it was the 40s, I doubt they were willing to show an explicit drug addiction scene. Call me old fashioned, but that's one of the reasons I like classics. They don't have to show too much to get the point across that he is a drug addict. Thanks for the reply, hope you liked the video!

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

Interesting that you consider DRAGONWYCK a romance film. 

It airs infrequently on TCM.

The production code gets in the way of the telling of this story. I think it would have been better if we had slightly more explicit images of the drug addiction experienced by Price's character. As it is now, we have to make a lot of assumptions to understand why he behaves as he does. 

I felt Spring Byington was the best thing in this movie. She steals every scene she's in with her portrayal of Magda.

#9 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

I truly enjoyed this costume drama with Vincent Price and Gene Tierney! Let me know if you've seen it or what your thoughts are on it. My review is below. I apologize for the sound quality, I recorded with the wrong mic :( My next review will be "Portrait of Jennie," which is another romance movie that I enjoyed. 

My thoughts:

I really appreciate anyone that comments or follows me on YouTube! 

I also love recommendations!

~ Ian Patrick ~

• TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dragonwyck, Vincent Price, Gene Tierney, Movie Review, Walter Huston

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users