We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N." Review - Napoleonic War Movie! Gregory Peck?

Captain Horatio Hornblower 1951 Gregory Peck Virginia Mayo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

This was based upon a series of books of a fictional Captain.  As such, it was not going to be realistic regarding Bonaparte.  It was going to be a romantic triangle and focusing upon fun seafaring. 

Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#2 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

Ian--List of other Napoleonic Era films:

"Desiree"--(1954)--Mostly from Jean Simmons" point of view--Marlon Brando does co-star--are some battle scenes, but aren't Total subject of film.

"John Paul Jones" (1959)--mostly naval strategy--some battle scenes--Bette Davis has a cameo in this.

"The Buccaneer" (1958)--mostly at sea--Warning--is maybe 2 &1/2 stars--script is muddled.

Re H.H.--I guess you Did have high hopes for the film--you sounded definitely unhappy.  But I agree with you about Virginia Mayo & Gregory Peck being underwhelming in their parts--Peck had had a string of box-office hits, & Mayo was under contract (therefore cheap), pretty, thus a perfect fit for the part.

I saw the film in my teens--back then, it seemed a perfectly good actioner, LOL. :)

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

#3 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:19 AM

This is one of my favorite war genres! I was really excited to see this movie because it has Gregory Peck (one of my favorite actors)! However, I was disappointed :( I guess I had too high hopes. Let me know if you have seen any more Napoleonic war films that take place at sea that I did not mention in my review. I would love to see it! My next review is going to be a Paul Muni film, who is also one of my favorite actors of all time. Be sure to subscribe to me on YouTube or comment on my videos if you are enjoying these reviews! 

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Captain Horatio Hornblower, 1951, Gregory Peck, Virginia Mayo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users