We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

2015 In Memoriam programming

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

I see TCM has added EVERY GIRL SHOULD BE MARRIED to the memorial tributes tomorrow evening, in honor of Betsy Drake and Cary Grant (any excuse to repeat a Cary Grant movie). I would have preferred they aired PRETTY BABY (a film in the channel's library) or THE SECOND WOMAN, which is in the public domain, because those titles prove she didn't need Grant to be a star on her own.

But I am still glad they've included her.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 thisamericanhouse

thisamericanhouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

Another honoree to consider this year is the extraordinary Betsy Drake, who passed away on October 27th at age 92. The following article pays tribute to her remarkable achievements both in Hollywood and beyond:

http://thisamericanh...ss-2/#more-2502

1da994a3843629cfda8c8d63c8bd872f.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hello, fellow filmsters!

Has there been any special programing announced/scheduled in memory of Joan Leslie, who passed away on 16 October?  I've seen the "in memoriam" notices and special programing scheduled for Maureen O'Hara following her death on the 24th, but didn't see the usual on-air observations for Ms. Leslie.  Has anyone else noticed this, or have I simply missed them?

Welcome to the boards.

You did not miss anything. TCM has so far not observed Joan Leslie's passing.

However, to be fair, before her death they had scheduled an evening of Leslie's films around an Essentials showing of YANKEE DOODLE DANDY in early January. So my guess is that the wraparounds Bob Osborne does on that particular evening will pay tribute to her. 

Stay tuned...!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 FilmMedievalist

FilmMedievalist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:37 AM

Hello, fellow filmsters!

Has there been any special programing announced/scheduled in memory of Joan Leslie, who passed away on 16 October?  I've seen the "in memoriam" notices and special programing scheduled for Maureen O'Hara following her death on the 24th, but didn't see the usual on-air observations for Ms. Leslie.  Has anyone else noticed this, or have I simply missed them?

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

Lorelei,

Thanks for sharing those great photos. I am glad you did that. What special people, and you were lucky to know them. (They were lucky to know you, too!)

• loreleic9 likes this

#6 loreleic9

loreleic9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

Hi.

I would like to enclose a couple of pictures we have hanging in the restaurant where I work of my friend Bob Minkler. The first is when he received his oscar from William Holden and Barbara Stanwyck in 1977. Bob is on the left with the beard and beautiful smile.The next picture is he and his wife Patricia with I believe Ray West and his wife proudly clutching their academy awards. As you can see, Bob autographed the one picture for us .  :)  I get asked constantly by customers about the pictures and I tell them the stories that Bob had told to me. About how the sound for the light saber was created, and how George Lucas had trouble funding one of the most influential movies ever, and all the wonderful tidbits he passed along to me, I now pass along to others. So in a way, Bob will always live on  :)  Thank-you for the forum where I can pay tribute to a wonderful man.

Attached Files

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hi. I had a very dear friend pass away yesterday Oct 13,2015. He was a very dear man who regaled me for hours with his stories of Old Hollywood and his days as a sound editor. His name was Robert Minkler, and he is an academy award winner for Star Wars. I have a picture of him in the restaurant where I work receiving his Oscar from William Holden and Barbara Stanwyck. The reason I am writing is I would like to know who to contact to see if he can please be added to The TCM Remembers Tribute. TCM Remembers is by far the classiest and most beautiful tribute done by anyone and this includes the tribute from the Oscars themselves. It might help his widow. Patricia, deal with her grief in a small way to see her husband of so many years included in such a loving tribute. I would appreciate any information that anyone can give me... Thank you....and May the force always be with you Bob .....I will miss you. :(

Thanks for your comment lorelei. Since I do not know the answer, I forwarded a link for your post to one of our moderators who may know. When she logs back on, hopefully she will see my message and reply to you. Sorry to hear of your loss and I'm glad you have fond memories of those discussions.

One idea might be to scan the photo you mentioned (or take a picture with your phone) and post it here if you feel comfortable doing so. Then, at least you will have a mini-tribute for Bob Minkler here that visitors to TCM's message boards can find for a long time to come! Just a suggestion...

• loreleic9 likes this

#8 loreleic9

loreleic9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

Hi. I had a very dear friend pass away yesterday Oct 13,2015. He was a very dear man who regaled me for hours with his stories of Old Hollywood and his days as a sound editor. His name was Robert Minkler, and he is an academy award winner for Star Wars. I have a picture of him in the restaurant where I work receiving his Oscar from William Holden and Barbara Stanwyck. The reason I am writing is I would like to know who to contact to see if he can please be added to The TCM Remembers Tribute. TCM Remembers is by far the classiest and most beautiful tribute done by anyone and this includes the tribute from the Oscars themselves. It might help his widow. Patricia, deal with her grief in a small way to see her husband of so many years included in such a loving tribute. I would appreciate any information that anyone can give me... Thank you....and May the force always be with you Bob .....I will miss you. :(

• TopBilled and LatriceRoyale like this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

The 2015 honorees are:

screen-shot-2015-09-18-at-6-54-39-pm.png

Louis Jourdan, with a screening of GIGI. Jourdan died on February 14 at age 93.

screen-shot-2015-09-18-at-6-52-26-pm.png

Lizabeth Scott, with a screening of TOO LATE FOR TEARS. Scott died on January 31 at age 92.

screen-shot-2015-09-18-at-6-52-38-pm.png

Theodore Bikel, with a screening of THE DEFIANT ONES. Bikel died on July 21 at age 91.

imgres-23.jpg

Coleen Gray, with a screening of KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL. Gray died on August 3 at age 92.

screen-shot-2015-09-18-at-6-48-17-pm.png

Anita Ekberg, with a screening of BACK FROM ETERNITY. Ekberg died on January 11 at age 83.

Airdate: December 29, 2015 on TCM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users