We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"History is Made at Night" Movie Review - 4/4 Stars!

History is Made at Night Charles Boyer Jean Arthur Leo Carillo Colin Clive 1937

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:02 PM

I take it you think Mutt will have a problem with what I said? Heh. Im not trying to be aggressive towards anyone, thats just how I think this movie is going to turn out.

Did you just watch a Mutt and Jeff cartoon?   :blink:

#2 ColinEndog

ColinEndog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMeark

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:50 AM

I take it you think Mutt will have a problem with what I said? Heh. Im not trying to be aggressive towards anyone, thats just how I think this movie is going to turn out.

#3 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:09 PM

Ian,

Try to watch IF YOU COULD ONLY COOK. Carrillo is hilarious in it, as a befuddled gangster who hires Jean Arthur & Herbert Marshall to be domestics at his mansion and teach him the finer social graces. It's maybe 2.5 or 3 stars (if I'm feeling generous) but it's definitely entertaining and Carrillo steals the show.

Side note (piece of trivia)-- when I was in film school at USC, we made a student movie at Pointe Dume one semester. Pointe Dume, near (part of?) Malibu is close to the Leo Carrillo State Park. From what I've read, he came from a landowning family that was in southern California long before it attained statehood. Some of his land was donated to the government and turned into parks/recreational areas. I believe he made these donations while he was still alive-- his later years, while continuing to act occasionally, were focused on conservation efforts.

My first exposure to the name Leo Carrillo was the park during the making of that movie, not knowing he was an actor and had made many movies (great ones!) himself.

https://en.wikipedia...illo_State_Park

I love Leo Carrillo's films and recently saw a Movie Short on TCM that mentioned his kind invitation to people to visit his ranch in CA.  Out here in California we also have Leo Carrillo Beach.     He was a very fine actor and I especially liked him in a serious role with

Grace Moore entitled Love Me Forever.

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

#4 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

Sorry!  Don't want to spoil it.  I love Jean Arthur's films too.  The memory of this film is great.  IT was one of my mother's favorites.  I too like Colin Clive.  It is sad that he died too young.  THe one I have not seen is Journey's End and is probably hard to acquire.  I think I did see Clive of India on Fox Movie Channel.    Thanks for the info. and for being a good sport.  I get carried away when I love a film!!

This is also a great movie to watch at New Year's! If you haven't seen it in a while, then watch it around that time!

#5 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:11 AM

IanPatrickMovieReviews--Your love of the film "History is Made at Night" came through loud and clear in your review--good job :)

Again, you come awfully close to giving away too much plot--but that's OK (I think) because your love of the movie is so clear.

Have been looking for Colin Clive films for you--he was a fine actor--but he died at 37 in 1937 of tuberculosis--he made 18 films total--best of which are the Frankenstein films, "Mad Love" (1935), which aired on TCM this past Friday--keep an eye out for "Clive of India" (1935), which I don't Think has ever aired on TCM--"Journeys' End (1930), his film debut, is stagy but better than most transition stage (1927-1930) talkies.  He made one so-so film with Bette Davis--"Tenth Avenue Girl (has 10th Avenue in the title).

Talk to you later.

Sorry!  Don't want to spoil it.  I love Jean Arthur's films too.  The memory of this film is great.  IT was one of my mother's favorites.  I too like Colin Clive.  It is sad that he died too young.  THe one I have not seen is Journey's End and is probably hard to acquire.  I think I did see Clive of India on Fox Movie Channel.    Thanks for the info. and for being a good sport.  I get carried away when I love a film!!

#6 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

IanPatrickMovieReviews--Your love of the film "History is Made at Night" came through loud and clear in your review--good job :)

Again, you come awfully close to giving away too much plot--but that's OK (I think) because your love of the movie is so clear.

Have been looking for Colin Clive films for you--he was a fine actor--but he died at 37 in 1937 of tuberculosis--he made 18 films total--best of which are the Frankenstein films, "Mad Love" (1935), which aired on TCM this past Friday--keep an eye out for "Clive of India" (1935), which I don't Think has ever aired on TCM--"Journeys' End (1930), his film debut, is stagy but better than most transition stage (1927-1930) talkies.  He made one so-so film with Bette Davis--"Tenth Avenue Girl (has 10th Avenue in the title).

Talk to you later.

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hey guys! I liked Carillo so much that I might look for more movies with him. I'm also going to check out more Colin Clive movies..he's in one with Paul Muni called "The Woman I Love" that I'm searching hard for! I really want to see it because it has a great cast.

Ian,

Try to watch IF YOU COULD ONLY COOK. Carrillo is hilarious in it, as a befuddled gangster who hires Jean Arthur & Herbert Marshall to be domestics at his mansion and teach him the finer social graces. It's maybe 2.5 or 3 stars (if I'm feeling generous) but it's definitely entertaining and Carrillo steals the show.

Side note (piece of trivia)-- when I was in film school at USC, we made a student movie at Pointe Dume one semester. Pointe Dume, near (part of?) Malibu is close to the Leo Carrillo State Park. From what I've read, he came from a landowning family that was in southern California long before it attained statehood. Some of his land was donated to the government and turned into parks/recreational areas. I believe he made these donations while he was still alive-- his later years, while continuing to act occasionally, were focused on conservation efforts.

My first exposure to the name Leo Carrillo was the park during the making of that movie, not knowing he was an actor and had made many movies (great ones!) himself.

https://en.wikipedia...illo_State_Park

• MCannady1 and IanPatrickMovieReviews like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#8 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:48 AM

I also failed to mention, "History is Made at Night" is all on YouTube. If you don't have a way of watching it, watch there! Someone was nice to enough to upload it there.

• TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

#9 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

Hey guys! I liked Carillo so much that I might look for more movies with him. I'm also going to check out more Colin Clive movies..he's in one with Paul Muni called "The Woman I Love" that I'm searching hard for! I really want to see it because it has a great cast.

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

This wasn't one of Arthur Columbia films but a United Artist film and that could be the reason it is not seen much on T.V. 

Yes, Wanger released it through UA. Quite a number of the UA films wound up in the MGM/UA library that Ted Turner bought/took over. But I don't think this one did. So it is not seen as often.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#11 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

Carrillo supported Arthur (with Herbert Marshall) a short time earlier in IF YOU COULD ONLY COOK. But yeah, this film benefits from Boyer's presence and is a real keeper.

I read once that HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT may not be well known because it was an independent production by Walter Wanger and since it was not affiliated with a major studio, it was not rerun much on TV. Not sure if that's true, but it's a theory at least.

This wasn't one of Arthur Columbia films but a United Artist film and that could be the reason it is not seen much on T.V. 

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

Nice review.   This is a great movie gem and one that isn't very well known.       Boyer and Arthur make a fine pair and Carillo is nice in secondary support.

Of course I'm nuts over Jean Arthur;  funny, charming and cute as well as able to convey deep emotion.   Love the gal.

Carrillo supported Arthur (with Herbert Marshall) a short time earlier in IF YOU COULD ONLY COOK. But yeah, this film benefits from Boyer's presence and is a real keeper.

I read once that HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT may not be well known because it was an independent production by Walter Wanger and since it was not affiliated with a major studio, it was not rerun much on TV. Not sure if that's true, but it's a theory at least.

#13 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:49 AM

This movie had all the right ingredients for a great romance movie! Please watch the movie if you have not because I couldn't find a single flaw in it! This is one to remember (especially the crazy iceberg scene towards the end of the movie). It has everything we all love about the classics! If you like Charles Boyer as much as I do, then this is a must see.

My review:

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you're enjoying my reviews so far! Also, feel free to comment here or on YouTube. Let me know your opinions or if you know any interesting facts about the movie!

~ Ian Patrick ~

Nice review.   This is a great movie gem and one that isn't very well known.       Boyer and Arthur make a fine pair and Carillo is nice in secondary support.

Of course I'm nuts over Jean Arthur;  funny, charming and cute as well as able to convey deep emotion.   Love the gal.

• TopBilled likes this

#14 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:45 PM

This movie had all the right ingredients for a great romance movie! Please watch the movie if you have not because I couldn't find a single flaw in it! This is one to remember (especially the crazy iceberg scene towards the end of the movie). It has everything we all love about the classics! If you like Charles Boyer as much as I do, then this is a must see.

My review:

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you're enjoying my reviews so far! Also, feel free to comment here or on YouTube. Let me know your opinions or if you know any interesting facts about the movie!

~ Ian Patrick ~

Attached Files

• TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: History is Made at Night, Charles Boyer, Jean Arthur, Leo Carillo, Colin Clive, 1937

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users