We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Hold That Ghost" (1941)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,404 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:33 AM

Thank You Liam  :) I'm staying at a friends who does not get TCM but does get Me-TV. I haven't watched Hold That Ghost in years, have been requesting TCM show the film for years. I loved this film when I was a kid. So happy I'll get to see it tonight. Thank You again for the alert  ;)

• LiamCasey likes this

#2 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:46 AM

Tonight on METv's Svengoolie is 1941's Hold That Ghost:

Which, if you missed it last night on TCM (I'm thinking of you, lavender.), you can catch it tonight. And, even if you did watch it last night, you may wish to watch it again tonight. Although it makes one wonder how television rights are divvied up if TCM airs it one night and METv airs it the next.

Bud Abbott & Lou Costello's fourth movie (so their shtick hasn't reached the repetitious stage yet) and one of their best. And their first movie that blended comedy and horror (and, lets be honest, Universal knew a bit about how to do the latter).

Plus an apt supporting cast. Comedy? They give us Joan Davis (Who pairs up well with Lou Costello. Especially in a dance routine that Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers would never dare.) and Shemp Howard. Horror? They give us Evelyn Ankers (Who else!) and Richard Carlson (Although he wouldn't really come into his own in this realm until the 1950s.). Gangsters? They give us Marc Lawrence (How many gangster roles did that guy portray over 70 years!). Music? They give us The Andrew Sisters (Again, who else!). 

All that and the "Moving Candle" routine!

Edited by LiamCasey, 20 September 2015 - 05:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users