We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Who's your pick for best SOTM on TCM in 2015?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,138 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:48 PM

My measurement would be how many films I taped that I haven't seen. So my favorite SOTM of 2015 would be:

1. Anthony Quinn
2. Frank Sinatra
3. Robert Redford
  • TopBilled and GregoryPeckfan like this

#2 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

THE LIST:

January: Robert Redford

February: 31 Days of Oscar

March: Ann Sothern

April: Anthony Quinn

May: Sterling Hayden

June: Pin-Up Girls

July: Shirley Temple

August: Summer Under the Stars

September: Susan Hayward

October: David Niven
November: Norma Shearer

December: Frank Sinatra

For me, I have to give TCM high marks for the Redford tribute, since it took us into the 70s (finally). I did enjoy Sothern's retrospective, especially the day devoted to all those charming Maisie pictures, but much of it was based on the actress' work at MGM-- and we did not see that much of her 30s work from Columbia and Fox. Meanwhile, Quinn's tribute was okay but missed a lot of his Paramount films... 

I love when TCM chooses a Star of the Month who would have turned 100 that month.  I see such SOTM choices as opportunities to see movies I have never been able to find.  The Quinn tribute allowed me to increase my total of never seen films of his and I have always associated him strongly with Peck. However, I am still at less than 50% of his career because his career was massive.

I loved Sinatra's tribute.  He is my favourite male singing star of all time and I have now seen almost all of his movies.  Sadly, Miracle of the Bells was not available here in Canada.  I was unable to get through Pride and the Passion.  Nearly put me to sleep.  But I did have a higher opinion of The Kissing Bandit than he did.  I think it was the genre.  I can always watch a musical at least once.  It was perhaps funny by mistake, but enjoyable anyway.  Sinatra was indeed my favourite. 

I was so thrilled that David Niven was chosen as Star of the Month.  I watched every single one of the films shown, even though couple made me roll my eyes.

As for Norma Shearer, I loved that they aired so many of her movies with Robert Montgomery. I am a fan of his.  I remember that the first month TCM became available in Canada he was the star of the month.  Shelly Winters died that month and so one night of SOTM was taken over by a tribute to her.

I'm not home on Tuesday nights, so I did not see much of Robert Redford's films.  I have seen most of the titles they showed, so that didn't bother me.

• TopBilled likes this
Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,624 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

I wanted to wait until the year was over and all my viewing was done before I replied to this. I suppose one metric for measuring which SOTMs moved my needle the most was how many movies did I watch featuring each SOTM in question. Bear in mind I don't watch TCM much during baseball season, so that slants the final results, but anyway, here's how many movies I watched featuring each star:

Robert Redford - 10

Ann Sothern - 10

Anthony Quinn - 3

Sterling Hayden - 0

Shirley Temple - 4

Pin-Up Girls - 0

Susan Hayward - 3

David Niven - 4

Norma Shearer - 8

Frank Sinatra - 7

So, I would have to say Robert Redford was my favorite for the year, especially given that I think they only showed 15 Redford films the whole month, and I made time for 10 of them. I watched an equal number of Ann Sothern movies, but some of them were pretty short - I think I watched four Maisie movies in one night. Sterling Hayden is a particular favorite of mine, and pin-up girls was probably good fun, but as I say, that's the time of year my TCM viewing is extremely low. Anthony Quinn has a handful of great roles, but by and large, he's never been a particular favorite of mine. Shirley Temple month, I made a point of watching the ones I hadn't seen before and skipped the rest. Kind of sorry I didn't devote more effort to seeing some Susan Hayward films, after so many people on these message boards called for her to get a spotlight. David Niven - charming, but I wasn't really into his month. Norma Shearer I could always kind of take or leave in the past, but I found myself really enjoying her month. Sinatra is pretty heavily featured on the channel year-round it seems, but I caught a couple of his films I had never seen before. 

I've been meaning to reply. I think it makes a lot of sense that a 'good' Star of the Month for the individual boils down to how many films he or she watched when the featured star's titles aired.

Going by such criteria, I would have to say the Ann Sothern month was a strong one for me. I loved all those Maisie films, though I had seen them before, because they were fun and entertaining. Also, I enjoyed seeing THE WHALES OF AUGUST, which I believe was a TCM premiere. So during March, I watched quite a few of the Sothern films.

I did not watch the Sterling Hayden broadcasts...because, while I enjoy the actor's work, I think many of his cheaper 50s titles are beneath his talents and not a good representation of him as a real movie star. I would have preferred to see some of his Paramount titles from the 40s. So if TCM had selected some of those, I would have tuned in more often. 

Norma Shearer is an acquired taste, and we will leave it at that-- though I don't necessarily dislike her, I could have thought of at least 25 more interesting performers to spotlight in November. 

I enjoyed the Frank Sinatra stuff in December, because there were several musical specials included. And I loved seeing THE MIRACLE OF THE BELLS on TCM.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 sewhite2000

sewhite2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

I wanted to wait until the year was over and all my viewing was done before I replied to this. I suppose one metric for measuring which SOTMs moved my needle the most was how many movies did I watch featuring each SOTM in question. Bear in mind I don't watch TCM much during baseball season, so that slants the final results, but anyway, here's how many movies I watched featuring each star:

Robert Redford - 10

Ann Sothern - 10

Anthony Quinn - 3

Sterling Hayden - 0

Shirley Temple - 4

Pin-Up Girls - 0

Susan Hayward - 3

David Niven - 4

Norma Shearer - 8

Frank Sinatra - 7

So, I would have to say Robert Redford was my favorite for the year, especially given that I think they only showed 15 Redford films the whole month, and I made time for 10 of them. I watched an equal number of Ann Sothern movies, but some of them were pretty short - I think I watched four Maisie movies in one night. Sterling Hayden is a particular favorite of mine, and pin-up girls was probably good fun, but as I say, that's the time of year my TCM viewing is extremely low. Anthony Quinn has a handful of great roles, but by and large, he's never been a particular favorite of mine. Shirley Temple month, I made a point of watching the ones I hadn't seen before and skipped the rest. Kind of sorry I didn't devote more effort to seeing some Susan Hayward films, after so many people on these message boards called for her to get a spotlight. David Niven - charming, but I wasn't really into his month. Norma Shearer I could always kind of take or leave in the past, but I found myself really enjoying her month. Sinatra is pretty heavily featured on the channel year-round it seems, but I caught a couple of his films I had never seen before. 

• TopBilled likes this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

I wrote a column about this on one of my blogs. For more:

https://oforinvolvin...month-honorees/

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,624 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:16 PM

THE LIST:

January: Robert Redford

February: 31 Days of Oscar

March: Ann Sothern

April: Anthony Quinn

May: Sterling Hayden

June: Pin-Up Girls

July: Shirley Temple

August: Summer Under the Stars

September: Susan Hayward

October: David Niven
November: Norma Shearer

December: Frank Sinatra

For me, I have to give TCM high marks for the Redford tribute, since it took us into the 70s (finally). I did enjoy Sothern's retrospective, especially the day devoted to all those charming Maisie pictures, but much of it was based on the actress' work at MGM-- and we did not see that much of her 30s work from Columbia and Fox. Meanwhile, Quinn's tribute was okay but missed a lot of his Paramount films... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users