We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

LOVE AFFAIR (1939)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Yes. The leads are superb and it's a wonderful opportunity to see a sophisitcated Maria Ouspenskaya, who too often was cast as grisled ethnic character types. She glows in this movie.

Maria was memorable in the Wolf Man, playing the fortune teller.  Granted, it goes to your point that she was often stereotyped. 

• DougieB and TopBilled like this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

I haven't seen either WYOMING or I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU, but I'll look for both. Type-casting was (and is) cruel because B level and below stars didn't always get to express their full range. A-listers were sometimes indulged with a wider range of roles.

WYOMING should be a better known 'A' western. I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU was the first of three that Frank Borzage did at Republic in the postwar years. It was also a rare example of Republic making a musical in Technicolor-- they tended to film in black-and-white until December 1946 when the studio began to use its own Trucolor process. Ouspenskaya is perfectly cast in both and does get a chance to show her range as a performer.

screen-shot-2017-04-17-at-10-12-40-am.jp

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

I haven't seen either WYOMING or I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU, but I'll look for both. Type-casting was (and is) cruel because B level and below stars didn't always get to express their full range. A-listers were sometimes indulged with a wider range of roles.

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

Yes. The leads are superb and it's a wonderful opportunity to see a sophisitcated Maria Ouspenskaya, who too often was cast as grisled ethnic character types. She glows in this movie.

Great comment Dougie. I think one of the reasons I love the Republic western WYOMING (1947) so much is because Ouspenskaya plays an ethnic character but she has a tender quality, suggesting a life of sophistication back in Europe before coming to the American west. Then there's Republic's musical I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU (1946), directed by Frank Borzage, where she plays a patroness of the arts, which is kind of a glamorous role for her. She's interesting to watch on screen.

• DougieB likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

This film was remade twice, but nothing surpasses the original. I am watching it this afternoon. Such a beautiful film, brings tears to my eyes. 

I love the sequence where they visit Maria Ouspenskaya's character and pray at the church together. Exquisite, simple, lovely. What a classic romance!

• TopBilled likes this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

LOVE AFFAIR is airing today on TCM in celebration of Irene's 118th birthday.

• rayban likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

For anyone who missed LOVE AFFAIR yesterday, TCM will be rebroadcasting it on November 9th.

It also still available to stream on Amazon Prime.

• rayban likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-10%2Bat%2B5.41.1

Boyer and Dunne made two more films after LOVE AFFAIR. There was WHEN TOMORROW COMES, a romance drama for Universal which hit screens later in 1939 (TCM has never aired it). And then in 1944, they reunited for Columbia's romantic comedy TOGETHER AGAIN.

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

Airing on August 29, 2016 as part of Charles Boyer's day for Summer Under the Stars.

http://www.tcm.com/t...38/Love-Affair/

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

It may be due to the fact that "An Affair To Remember" with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr has became such a famous film throughout the years.

Sometimes, the remake eclipses the original.

For example, the first and second remakes of "Waterloo Bridge".

Yes, that's a strong possibility. But I don't think the Grant-Kerr pairing comes anywhere close to capturing the magic that Dunne & Boyer have in the original. 

• rayban likes this

#11 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:14 PM

I don't understand why TCM seldom plays this film. It's such a crowd-pleasing classic. 

It may be due to the fact that "An Affair To Remember" with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr has became such a famous film throughout the years.

Sometimes, the remake eclipses the original.

For example, the first and second remakes of "Waterloo Bridge".

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

I don't understand why TCM seldom plays this film. It's such a crowd-pleasing classic. 

• rayban likes this

#13 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:04 PM

One of my favorites if not my favorite Boyer film!

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-01-23%2Bat%2B2.32.2

The '39 version of LOVE AFFAIR is currently available on Amazon Prime.

• rayban likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:43 PM

This film was remade twice, but nothing surpasses the original. I am watching it this afternoon. Such a beautiful film, brings tears to my eyes. 

I love the sequence where they visit Maria Ouspenskaya's character and pray at the church together. Exquisite, simple, lovely. What a classic romance!

• DougieB, IanPatrickMovieReviews, cinemaspeak59 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users