We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Healthcare in America?

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

#1 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,761 posts

Posted Today, 02:08 AM

Are the attempts to overturn the ACA EVER going to end?  

Yes.

The attempts will end when enough people are elected who are willing to replace the present healthcare system with single payer.

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#2 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted Yesterday, 05:41 PM

Are the attempts to overturn the ACA EVER going to end?  I guess as long as wealthy donors keep threatening Republicans that they will withhold their $$$ this will go on ad nauseum.

• mr6666 and midwestan like this

#3 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Trying to buy off Murkowski.  I wonder what they're offering Collins for her vote.  My senators are in the tank for any Republican policies regardless of how odious they are so we get diddly here in Georgia - we're not even worthy of a bribe attempt.

Actually GA, like SC, will get more.  Because it did not expand Medicaid under ACA, it will now be eligible for more Medicaid money.

I have great faith that the GOP leadership in the Senate will find a way to bribe, err entice, enough senators to vote for Graham-Cassidy.

The Senate HELP committee has already caved.

Then it is off to the House.  Supposedly though the House will only be allowed an up or down vote on it.

If all that fails, then after Oct 01, McConnell will change Senate rules to where it only takes 51 votes to repeal ACA. Then they will work with extremist in Senate and House to get a repeal bill passed.

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,692 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted Yesterday, 02:30 PM

On a lighter note:

Experts Warn Repeated Attempts At Eradicating Obamacare May Have Created Ultra-Resistant Super Law

WASHINGTON—After persistent efforts by Republicans to wipe out the healthcare law over the past seven years, experts warned Wednesday that the repeated attempts at eradicating Obamacare may have created an ultra-resistant super law. “Given the frequency with which lawmakers have unsuccessfully tried to exterminate the Affordable Care Act, the growing resiliency of this legislation could soon be insurmountable,” said Institute for Healthcare Improvement senior fellow Curt Greenwood, adding that the landmark healthcare overhaul could grow impervious to any repeal measures or even major amendments within just a few short congressional sessions. “What we once thought would be eliminated by now will instead require considerably more time and resources. And at a certain point, no interventions on the part of any branch of government will be sufficient to overcome the ACA’s built-in resistance.” According to Greenwood, however, hope remained that sufficiently high doses of single-payer healthcare legislation could potentially offer a cure.

http://www.theonion....g-obamaca-56549

:lol:

• mr6666 likes this

#5 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

Republicans will face Bernie Sanders in CNN health care debate-

"On Monday, the Republican crafters of that bill, Sens. Lindsey Graha, R-S.C., and Bill Cassidy, R-La., will have a chance to explain why that is during a nationally televised debate with Vermont Independent Bernie Sanders.

CNN will host the primetime town hall that will also feature Minnesota Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar. Moderated by CNN's Jake Tapper and Dana Bash, the lawmakers will have 90 minutes to face off against each other and face questions from the audience........

http://www.salon.com...th-care-debate/

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#6 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP 43m43 minutes ago

BREAKING: Republican Sen. John McCain announces opposition to health care bill, dashing hopes for GOP leaders.

:)

I hope this is for real!

• HIGHWAY likes this

#7 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

MSNBC Panel Trolls Sanders With 'Scurrilous, Illogical' Assault on Medicare for All-

Pundits are slamming the Vermont senator for helping GOP's Obamacare repeal efforts, when he is actually doing the opposite.......

Adam Johnson, a media analyst for Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, pointed out that the attacks launched by the "Morning Joe" panel and others are hardly original.

Johnson labels such critics "concern trolls," defined as people who claim to support a given objective but cannot act on this support due to vaguely expressed "concerns."......

As "Morning Joe" chided Sanders for only "looking out for himself," the Vermont senator continued his aggressive push to ensure the failure of the Graham-Cassidy bill—which will be brought to the Senate floor for a vote by the end of next week....

https://www.commondr...lt-medicare-all

#8 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

The Associated PressVerified account @AP 43m43 minutes ago

BREAKING: Republican Sen. John McCain announces opposition to health care bill, dashing hopes for GOP leaders.

:)

• ChristineHoard likes this

#9 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Under Graham-Cassidy, Alaska (Murkowski) and Montana would be exempt from Medicaid limits.  Millions of Americans lose coverage so thousands of Alaskans won't.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/09/21/cassidy-graham-bill-provision-would-exempt-alaska-montana-from-a-cap-on-medicaid-spending/?undefined=&utm_term=.6d47085ce17a&wpisrc=nl_politics&wpmm=1

Trying to buy off Murkowski.  I wonder what they're offering Collins for her vote.  My senators are in the tank for any Republican policies regardless of how odious they are so we get diddly here in Georgia - we're not even worthy of a bribe attempt.

• mr6666 likes this

#10 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Under Graham-Cassidy, Alaska (Murkowski) and Montana would be exempt from Medicaid limits.  Millions of Americans lose coverage so thousands of Alaskans won't.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/09/21/cassidy-graham-bill-provision-would-exempt-alaska-montana-from-a-cap-on-medicaid-spending/?undefined=&utm_term=.6d47085ce17a&wpisrc=nl_politics&wpmm=1

#11 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

#12 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

I got to say living in Kansas I'm used to not getting what I vote for. Our Governor Sam Brownback did not extend Medicaid into Kansas for the indigent who are not minors, disabled, or senior citizens.

But at this point, I would even have a message for people who did not vote at all, as well as for people who voted against Trump-- but did not try to talk with or influence their friends, relatives or neighbors to do the same thing.

There's a lot of blame for this mess to go around and it doesn't just include the people who voted for that ignorant idiot.

I'm not getting what I voted for here in Georgia either.  The Republicans run the state government and also turned down the Medicaid expansion dollars.  We've got right-wing Senators and the despicable Tom Price hails from this state.  I live in a majority-minority district, though, so my Rep in the House is moderate-liberal.  I still don't want Obamacare blown up just so we all can be taught a lesson.

Like I said elsewhere, this is just another ploy for rich folks to get their fancy tax cuts on the backs of the elderly, disabled people and sick kids.  It stinks.

• midwestan and film lover 293 like this

#13 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,276 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

It would be a learning opportunity and one could say "it serves them right" or "watch out for what you wish for" but this is too much and would hurt a lot of us who didn't vote for Donny as well.

I got to say living in Kansas I'm used to not getting what I vote for. Our Governor Sam Brownback did not extend Medicaid into Kansas for the indigent who are not minors, disabled, or senior citizens.

But at this point, I would even have a message for people who did not vote at all, as well as for people who voted against Trump-- but did not try to talk with or influence their friends, relatives or neighbors to do the same thing.

There's a lot of blame for this mess to go around and it doesn't just include the people who voted for that ignorant idiot.
  • midwestan likes this

#14 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

Ben SpielbergVerified account @BenSpielberg 21h21 hours ago

Ben Spielberg Retweeted Sam Stein

Shows they're targeting the media & political establishments; with the public, Sanders & #MedicareForAll are way more popular than they are.

Ben Spielberg added,

Sam SteinVerified account @samstein

We got our hands on the RNC talking points for Graham-Cassidy. And a prime focus is on Bernie http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-republican-national-committee-is-weaponize-bernie-sanders-single-payer-plan  w/ @GideonResnick

#15 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

When I think about the number of people who voted for trump, who could be adversely affected and lose their health care, it occurs to me that this will be a good learning opportunity for them to see how their voting has consequences.

It would be a learning opportunity and one could say "it serves them right" or "watch out for what you wish for" but this is too much and would hurt a lot of us who didn't vote for Donny as well.

• mr6666 likes this

#16 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,276 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

45]
B0UoxZlN_bigger.jpgKamala HarrisVerified account @SenKamalaHarris
More

This health care fight is about the well-being of children, seniors & people with disabilities. This is a moral issue.

#17 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,276 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

45]

45]leN1zJJx_bigger.jpgHillary ClintonVerified account @HillaryClinton
More

Nothing is more important than saving the Affordable Care Act from another cruel effort to take health care away from millions of people.

When I think about the number of people who voted for trump, who could be adversely affected and lose their health care, it occurs to me that this will be a good learning opportunity for them to see how their voting has consequences.

#18 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

Koch network 'piggy banks' closed until Republicans pass health and tax reform-

"Koch officials said that the network’s midterm budget for policy and politics is between $300m and $400m, but donors are demanding legislative progress...

One Texas-based donor warned Republican lawmakers that his “Dallas piggy bank” was now closed, until he saw legislative progress.

“Get Obamacare repealed and replaced, get tax reform passed,” said Doug Deason. “Get it done and we’ll open it back up.”......

.........Republicans likely have a 10-month window before any chance of major policy action is suffocated by next year’s midterms.

“If we don’t get anything done by then, the elections probably don’t go very well,” Wright said. “They may not go well anyway.”

https://amp.theguard...care-tax-reform

<_<

• LawrenceA likes this

#19 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

#20 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

Mary BruceVerified account @marykbruce

Graham on building support for health care: "I've got Alan Greenspan, Jeb Bush, and Steve Bannon. If you can do better than that, call me."

11:17 AM - 19 Sep 2017

Brian SchatzVerified account @brianschatz 4h4 hours ago

Brian Schatz Retweeted Mary Bruce

I can do much better: AARP, American Medical Association, March of Dimes, American Lung Association, the American Heart Association, JDRF...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users