We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Healthcare in America?

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

#41 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

Stock in drug companies is up significantly today.  I wonder why.

A pill for every ill.

#42 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

Stock in drug companies is up significantly today.  I wonder why.

#43 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

Missouri attorney general sues 3 drug companies over state's opioid crisis

http://www.cbsnews.c...ical-companies/

#44 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Major Insurance Company’s Payment Decision Angers ER Doctors

"The insurance company is not on the same plane. They are not here to take care of people. They are here to make money. It's clear that the insurance companies are looking to make money. It is about the dollar. It is not about high quality care,"

Blue Cross and Blue Shield may potentially deny a claim from someone who shows up with chest pain, ACEP said. Davis said a sharp pain with a deep breath could be a symptom of the common cold, and is not an emergency.

There are a lot of people who go to emergency rooms for things that are not true emergencies.”

Parker said it's not reasonable to expect a patient to know the difference.

"I don't know and you don't know if that is a heart attack, a blood clot, or a collapsed lung unless I see you in the emergency room," she said.....

http://www.nbcnews.c...doctors-n767766

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#45 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

The California Senate Just Passed Single-Payer Health Care....

"I f health care is a right—and it is—the only honest response to the current crisis is the single-payer “Medicare For All” reform that would bring the United States in line with humane and responsible countries worldwide.

It is unfortunate that Donald Trump, who once seemed to recognize the logic of single payer, has aligned himself with House Speaker Paul Ryan’s scheme to make health a privilege rather than a right—and to use a “reform” of the Affordable Care Act as a vehicle to reward wealthy campaign donors with tax cuts and sweetheart deals....

https://www.thenatio...yer-healthcare/

• film lover 293 likes this

#46 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

Gun Rights Group Takes a Shot at Elizabeth Warren — Over Effort to Make Hearing Aids Cheaper-

"...A bipartisan group in in the Senate introduced a bill in March to make hearing aids more affordable by allowing them to be sold-over-the counter. Only a handful of manufacturers make hearing aids, and most state laws restrict the selling of hearing aids to licensed audiologists, giving them an effective monopoly.

After a huge markup by the manufacturer, the audiologists add another premium, bundling the cost of the device with the cost of their services.

As a result, hearing aids are out of reach for more than 80 percent of people with hearing impairment. So a market has sprung up for affordable sound amplification devices. They are not hearing aids, and users will struggle with them in noisy situations like restaurants, but they’re better than nothing.

The devices — they’re called personal sound amplification products (PSAPs).....

Co-sponsored by more Senate Republicans than Democrats, and backed by the libertarian Niskanen Center, Warren’s bill is a rare example of truly bipartisan healthcare reform. Progressives back efforts to lower the cost of hearing aids, and conservatives can support the idea of ending a government-guaranteed monopoly and allowing competitive markets to set prices....

Jodi Follweiler, who owns and runs JLF Hearing Aid Sales & Services in Kutztown, Pa., is a strong supporter of Warren, but is torn on the bill. “I get why she’s doing it, and if I weren’t in the industry I’d probably support it. But it’s going to kill me,” she told The Intercept. “The irony is it’ll be great for hunters, but they’re used to voting against their own interests, so this is nothing new for them.”

https://theintercept...g-aids-cheaper/

:blink:

Republicans are trying to make it easier to purchase silencers for guns.  Our Congressman said he has a hearing loss because of hunting and silencers would have prevented that.

I learned in the Army that vast majority of hearing loss from firing weapons occurs in training on rifle ranges, not in combat.  

Even more applicable to hunting.  How many times does a hunter actually fire his weapon when hunting vs. firing it in practice or at a range?  Very, very little.  Wearing hearing protection  when firing at range or practicing will prevent the hearing loss (if any).  Also, wearing it when using power equipment, including elecric leaf blowers will do more than silencers for weapons.

• mr6666 and LawrenceA like this

#47 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

Gun Rights Group Takes a Shot at Elizabeth Warren — Over Effort to Make Hearing Aids Cheaper-

"...A bipartisan group in in the Senate introduced a bill in March to make hearing aids more affordable by allowing them to be sold-over-the counter. Only a handful of manufacturers make hearing aids, and most state laws restrict the selling of hearing aids to licensed audiologists, giving them an effective monopoly.

After a huge markup by the manufacturer, the audiologists add another premium, bundling the cost of the device with the cost of their services.

As a result, hearing aids are out of reach for more than 80 percent of people with hearing impairment. So a market has sprung up for affordable sound amplification devices. They are not hearing aids, and users will struggle with them in noisy situations like restaurants, but they’re better than nothing.

The devices — they’re called personal sound amplification products (PSAPs).....

Co-sponsored by more Senate Republicans than Democrats, and backed by the libertarian Niskanen Center, Warren’s bill is a rare example of truly bipartisan healthcare reform. Progressives back efforts to lower the cost of hearing aids, and conservatives can support the idea of ending a government-guaranteed monopoly and allowing competitive markets to set prices....

Jodi Follweiler, who owns and runs JLF Hearing Aid Sales & Services in Kutztown, Pa., is a strong supporter of Warren, but is torn on the bill. “I get why she’s doing it, and if I weren’t in the industry I’d probably support it. But it’s going to kill me,” she told The Intercept. “The irony is it’ll be great for hunters, but they’re used to voting against their own interests, so this is nothing new for them.”

https://theintercept...g-aids-cheaper/

:blink:

• TheCid likes this

#48 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

I STILL say the BIGGEST problem with Healthcare in America ISN'T the quality or cost of the INSURANCE, but the quality of the CARE it pays for.  I mean, what GOOD is having the best insurance possible if the CARE it pays for isn't worth spit?

My one brother in law has suffered with his sciatica for TWO YEARS now while his doctor has him returning to his office every two to three weeks for shot treatments that so far haven't helped ONE IOTA.

Another brother in law's insurance being charged $400 by a hospital's ER dept. for "dispensing of medicine" which was just ONE Motrin 800 and  15 mls of Maalox.

My WIFE spending TWO WEEKS in a hospital a couple of years ago when all she went to the ER for was because her glucose  level was dangerously low, and spending those two weeks being tested for all manner of ailments she never made ONE complaint about.

I could fill PAGES of forum thread with stories like this.  And all from the LAST THREE OR FOUR YEARS!

Sepiatone

The BIGGEST problem is the staggering outrageous cost to begin with.  Doctors are raking it in.

What is the pharmacy cost for, 2 Advils?

2w74g3k.jpg

#49 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

#50 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

I STILL say the BIGGEST problem with Healthcare in America ISN'T the quality or cost of the INSURANCE, but the quality of the CARE it pays for.  I mean, what GOOD is having the best insurance possible if the CARE it pays for isn't worth spit?

My one brother in law has suffered with his sciatica for TWO YEARS now while his doctor has him returning to his office every two to three weeks for shot treatments that so far haven't helped ONE IOTA.

Another brother in law's insurance being charged $400 by a hospital's ER dept. for "dispensing of medicine" which was just ONE Motrin 800 and  15 mls of Maalox.

My WIFE spending TWO WEEKS in a hospital a couple of years ago when all she went to the ER for was because her glucose  level was dangerously low, and spending those two weeks being tested for all manner of ailments she never made ONE complaint about.

I could fill PAGES of forum thread with stories like this.  And all from the LAST THREE OR FOUR YEARS!

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#51 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

#52 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:32 AM

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#53 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:11 AM

#54 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

George Will predicts Obamacare to become single-payer because of this inconvenient fact-

"Barack Obama said as a candidate that he would prefer a single-payer plan but couldn't get there," George Will said. "As President when they were going through the Obamacare agonies, he said, look upon Obamacare as a starter home. The beginning, the thin end of an enormous wedge heading toward that. What does Donald Trump say? 'Single-payer works fine in Scotland.' So I don't see any particular animus he has as you say against a single-payer plan.

And, what we've learned in this debate about repealing Obamacare is that the essence of Obamacare is the expansion of Medicaid. Who has benefited from that? Probably disproportionately white working-class males, Trump voters."

http://www.rawstory....onvenient-fact/

• TheCid and ChristineHoard like this

#55 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

"Nearly three weeks after Republican infighting sank an overhaul of the Affordable Care Act, President Donald Trump dug back into the battle on Wednesday, threatening to withhold payments to insurers to force Democrats to the negotiating table.

In an interview in the Oval Office, Mr. Trump said he was still considering what to do about the payments approved by his Democratic predecessor, President Barack Obama, which some Republicans contend are unconstitutional. Their abrupt disappearance could trigger an insurance meltdown that causes the collapse of the 2010 health law, forcing lawmakers to return to a bruising debate over its future.

“Obamacare is dead next month if it doesn’t get that money,” Trump said, referring to cost-sharing reductions....

http://www.msnbc.com...sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

#56 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

"Advertisements from seemingly independent advocacy groups are swamping Beltway newspapers with dire warning that recent proposals to lower drug prices will lead to dangerous consequences. In the last week alone, the ads have appeared in the Washington Post, Washington Times, Roll Call, The Hill, and Politico.

The groups placing the ads have no obvious connection to pharmaceutical companies. For instance, the American Conservative Union (ACU), one of the organizations taking out an ad, describes itself as devoted to promoting “liberty, personal responsibility, traditional values, and strong national defense.”

But unbeknownst to readers, the organizations have undisclosed financial ties to the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), the umbrella lobbying group that represents the biggest names in the drug industry, including Merck, Pfizer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Purdue Pharma, and Eli Lilly.

The ads have appeared as legislators are taking up proposals designed to lower drug prices — potentially cutting into the profits of the big drugmakers....

https://theintercept...rice-astroturf/

<_<

• darkblue and film lover 293 like this

#57 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

"A group of Democratic Senators, including, among others, Al Franken, Elizabeth Warren, and Independent Senator Bernie Sanders, have introduced legislation that will significantly lower the cost of prescription drugs for American citizens. 

Trump told us during the campaign that we needed lower cost prescription medication, so will he hop on board with the Democrats’ plan?....

https://trofire.com/...cription-drugs/

:lol:

#58 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

The  General Assembly of Kentucky on Wednesday overturned Gov. Matt Bevin's veto of a mental health law known as Tim's Law.

http://www.courier-j...h-law/99772546/

#59 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

#60 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

$10,345 per person: U.S. health care spending reaches new peak.

http://www.pbs.org/n...345-per-person/

Excerpt...The new peak means the Obama administration will pass the problem of high health care costs on to its successor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users