We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"The Gorgeous Hussy" Video Movie Review - Joan Crawford's ONLY Period Drama

The Gorgeous Hussy Joan Crawford Robert Taylor Lionel Barrymore James Stewart Franchot Tone 1936

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:11 AM

IanPatrickMovieReviews--Have not seen "The Gorgeous Hussy", so can only make limited comments:

Be definite about why you give a film a certain rating--you mentioned in this review it was "too complex".  For me, that's a recommendation--I Love Alfred Hitchcock's films & some of them are Very complex!  If the acting isn't good, say so--& be certain that idea gets to the viewer.

One silly thing--did you notice that on the poster, Joan Crawford's & Robert Taylor's hair is permed?!

You noted that Joan Crawford had too modern a persona to play "period" roles--good observation!

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

Those are great pics! Man...it's so cool seeing pics like that. Like looking into the past

It sure is. What a privileged glimpse.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:36 PM

Those are great pics! Man...it's so cool seeing pics like that. Like looking into the past

• TopBilled likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

imgres17.jpg

Since you mentioned the friendship this group enjoyed.

screen-shot-2015-09-28-at-6-53-01-pm.png

• film lover 293 and IanPatrickMovieReviews like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:20 AM

Thanks Ian for mentioning this film. It's been ages since I have seen it, and now I will have to re-watch it. Definitely has all the glossy MGM production values. 

Crawford worked with Taylor again several years later in the remake of WHEN LADIES MEET. 

Looking forward to our upcoming review!

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

#6 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:24 AM

The first hour of the movie was great! Joan Crawford wanted to play this role so bad, but she was quick to realize after the movie was released that she was "miscast." She and Robert Taylor made a great duo!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you're enjoying these! I love making the vids. I'll be doing a duo review with TopBilled next week! 

Attached Files

• TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Gorgeous Hussy, Joan Crawford, Robert Taylor, Lionel Barrymore, James Stewart, Franchot Tone, 1936

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users