We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TRUDEAU'S CANADA

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#361 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

I'd guess that incidents of sheep******* are exaggerated.

Likely overstated back in the day and even rarer now

as we live in a less rural society. There are a few cows

down the road who appear unmolested, though some

of the local squirrels do have a strange look in their eyes.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#362 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,656 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

Most animal sex acts not against Canada's bestiality law: court

Jake, do you know what goes on in Appalachia among those hillbilly tea party people?  There is a big tradition of bestiality in rural America, particularly in the American South.

Even in states where there may be laws against bestiality, the practice is widespread in your part of the world. 

http://watchdog.org/...heep-13-states/

#363 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:23 AM

Most animal sex acts not against Canada's bestiality law: court

Read more Reuters>

http://www.reuters.c...y-idUSKCN0YV1QX

Liberalism is a mental disease.

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#364 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

Trudeau does not want to spend money on sewage treatment plants in Canada, that is all you need to know about this loser.

What happened to your daily raw sewage report, MM?  Are you on a sit down strike down there?

• mr6666 and LawrenceA like this

#365 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

Trudeau does not want to spend money on sewage treatment plants in Canada, that is all you need to know about this loser.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#366 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

Sometimes paying attention to the gorilla in our backyard is unavoidable.  My niece lost her job yesterday because an American company bought her firm and then closed its doors forthwith.

That's life in the new inter connective world we live in.

#367 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

TORONTO (AP) -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canadians would appreciate it if Americans paid more attention to what's going on around the globe.

Trudeau said in a "60 Minutes" interview to be aired Sunday that "it might be nice if they paid a little more attention to the world."

Read more @ AP:

http://hosted.ap.org...-03-03-22-44-26

Our friends to the North have elected a misinformed PM. I'd like to see some Canadians be more concerned about their own pressing problems than ours. They got some big ones.

thumb-down-smiley-emoticon.gif

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#368 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

Isn't ABC News terrible? I can't believe how awful it's become.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. It reminds me of the local news

writ large. Lots of stories about explosions, fires,

crime, etc. I am partly to blame as I could watch

CBS or NBC, but our local station is an ABC affiliate,

and I never bother to change the channel. I am glad

that the ABC evening news is not my only source.

• LawrenceA likes this

#369 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,693 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. :)

I am kind of glad that there is more campaign news now,
however silly it sometimes gets. That means that Muir
has to place his endless parade of weather disasters,
crimes, fires, car crashes, YT videos, etc. in the second
half of the program.

Isn't ABC News terrible? I can't believe how awful it's become.

#370 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:38 PM

Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. :)

I am kind of glad that there is more campaign news now,

however silly it sometimes gets. That means that Muir

has to place his endless parade of weather disasters,

crimes, fires, car crashes, YT videos, etc. in the second

half of the program.

• LawrenceA likes this

#371 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

In for a penny, in for a pound.

With falling oil prices eroding Canada’s revenue base, newly elected Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is fully embracing deficits, with his finance minister hinting Monday the country will run a deficit ofabout C$30 billion ($22 billion) in the fiscal year that starts April 1.

It’s one of the biggest fiscal swings in the country’s history that, in just four months since the Oct. 19 election, has cut loose all the fiscal anchors Trudeau pledged to abide by even as he runs deficits. The government’s bet is that appetite for more infrastructure spending and a post-election political honeymoon will trump criticism over borrowing and unmet campaign promises.

Read more @ Bloomberg.com:

http://www.bloomberg...n-with-deficits

Well, we are getting ready to show our profligate spender the door and Canada's new PM is ready to run deficits with a declining economy and incoming revenues.

Smart not....

• MovieMadness and LatriceRoyale like this

John Wayne

#372 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

of course HE was right all along.....networkfinch110710.jpg

• TheGayDivorcee and LawrenceA like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#373 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,693 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

The dumbing down and "info-tainment" of news shows is disturbing. When I was growing up news programs were a serious presentation of national and international news or local news without personal opinion or dog and pony shows. There were shows with political discussion and opinion, but for the most part in a civilized manner. News anchors didn't say "Get this!" before reading a story. (One of my pet peeves.) We weren't told or manipulated into how we should feel about people and events in the news. At least not that I remember.

I remember an episode of Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" several years ago, I think just post 9/11, with the actress Theresa Russell as a guest. She'd been living in England and said how struck she was watching the news in the U.S., by the dramatic music accompanying news stories. Why and when did it become this way? Do we all have such attention spans that we can't sit through the news without bells and whistles? Did it start with the breathless coverage of O.J. Simpson's white Bronco racing down the freeway? Why are they showing videos of chickens riding Roombas on the evening news?!

Things took a bad turn in America, and that makes me, and presumably many of us, feel a certain despair about our country. Sorry for my rant; this is just something I think and worry about a lot.

This is also something that bothers me a great deal. The origin of this transformation began when the networks ended the separation between their non-profit news divisions and their for-profit entertainment divisions. In the new set-up, news programming had to show a profit, or else the network execs had to answer to the stockholders. Originally, the news was seen as a badge of honor, respectability, and civic duty; something to be proud of. But all that went out the window in the chase for more eyes and dollars. So it became a game of sensationalistic reporting.

The next step in the evolution of garbage tv news was the advent of the so-called "tabloid" syndicated "news" shows in the late 80's. Things like INSIDE EDITION and A CURRENT AFFAIR brought a new level of over-produced, fear mongering, hysteria to the news format, courtesy of the format's inventor, Rupert Murdoch. The shows were successful, and despite editorial outcry over the cheapening of the news, the networks slowly started to adopt the tabloid style.

The last major step, and the final nail in the coffin of old-school news, was the introduction of the 24 hour news stations. CNN got an early start in the 80's, and managed to maintain a level of professional integrity for a while, mainly because they had no competition. But when Fox News and MSNBC invaded the airwaves, it became a real battle for ratings, and to fill the 24 requirement. Fox News shot to the top, especially after 9/11, with their patented blend of non-stop fear and outrage. After dominating the ratings amongst the 24/7 news networks for so long, it was only a matter of time (and the retirement of the last generation of news men & women that maintained ethical standards) before the major networks started to adopt what was working so well for Fox.

The old notions of integrity and civic responsibility in the news are gone. The nightly news is now just another profit engine, part of a larger corporate structure that could care less how much you know, just that you buy their products. It's why for the past month, I've seen nearly nightly reports on the new STAR WARS film on the ABC nightly news, since both properties belong to Disney. Since the installation of David Muir as anchor, this same news program announced amidst much fanfare, their new partnership with ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT, the syndicated showbiz gossip show. That says it all, really.
  • mr6666 and TheGayDivorcee like this

#374 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,761 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

If only they had cabbage leafs attached to the backs of their heads for easy detection.

Where's Zontar now that we really need him?

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#375 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:35 AM

It seriously began to deteriorate when Morton Downey Jr. began abusing everybody on air. For some reason, it proved to be very popular with American viewers.

Since then, serious discussion is seen as boring. The Corporate State loves it - it keeps citizens from being educated; keeps them easy to direct.

Some people are beginning to wake up, though. They're becoming more aware of the con game to which they've been subjected.

Unfortunately, I think there are far more susceptible dumb people out there than smart ones.

Don't you think that for every one that wakes up, two become pods?   It only they had cabbage leafs attached to the backs of their heads for easy detection.

#376 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,761 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

The dumbing down and "info-tainment" of news shows is disturbing.  When I was growing up news programs were a serious presentation of national and international news or local news without personal opinion or dog and pony shows.  There were shows with political discussion and opinion, but for the most part in a civilized manner.  News anchors didn't say "Get this!" before reading a story.  (One of my pet peeves.)  We weren't told or manipulated into how we should feel about people and events in the news.  At least not that I remember.

I remember an episode of Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" several years ago, I think just post 9/11, with the actress Theresa Russell as a guest.  She'd been living in England and said how struck she was watching the news in the U.S., by the dramatic music accompanying news stories.  Why and when did it become this way?  Do we all have such attention spans that we can't sit through the news without bells and whistles?  Did it start with the breathless coverage of O.J. Simpson's white Bronco racing down the freeway?  Why are they showing videos of chickens riding Roombas on the evening news?!  

Things took a bad turn in America, and that makes me, and presumably many of us, feel a certain despair about our country.  Sorry for my rant; this is just something I think and worry about a lot.

It seriously began to deteriorate when Morton Downey Jr. began abusing everybody on air. For some reason, it proved to be very popular with American viewers.

Since then, serious discussion is seen as boring. The Corporate State loves it - it keeps citizens from being educated; keeps them easy to direct.

Some people are beginning to wake up, though. They're becoming more aware of the con game to which they've been subjected.

• TheGayDivorcee and LawrenceA like this
White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#377 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:47 AM

Americans don't get Canadians. They can't believe Canadians wouldn't be like Americans - at least not politically, that's a certainty. We're just too well informed up here. We still receive a halfway honest education and our news services are the most informative and professional on the planet. American news programs look like cheap b-team productions compared to what Canadians are accustomed to seeing.

It's no surprise that a southerner "red state" American understands so little about us.

The dumbing down and "info-tainment" of news shows is disturbing.  When I was growing up news programs were a serious presentation of national and international news or local news without personal opinion or dog and pony shows.  There were shows with political discussion and opinion, but for the most part in a civilized manner.  News anchors didn't say "Get this!" before reading a story.  (One of my pet peeves.)  We weren't told or manipulated into how we should feel about people and events in the news.  At least not that I remember.

I remember an episode of Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" several years ago, I think just post 9/11, with the actress Theresa Russell as a guest.  She'd been living in England and said how struck she was watching the news in the U.S., by the dramatic music accompanying news stories.  Why and when did it become this way?  Do we all have such attention spans that we can't sit through the news without bells and whistles?  Did it start with the breathless coverage of O.J. Simpson's white Bronco racing down the freeway?  Why are they showing videos of chickens riding Roombas on the evening news?!  

Things took a bad turn in America, and that makes me, and presumably many of us, feel a certain despair about our country.  Sorry for my rant; this is just something I think and worry about a lot.

• Swithin, LatriceRoyale and LawrenceA like this

Bring the boy an eggnog.  Two eggs.

#378 rewrite

rewrite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationBellevue, Wash.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:39 PM

I'm not one to comment on another country and its domestic affairs.

#379 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

Once you reach into a man's pocket and pull his money out you will see him react ready for a change to bring the good times back. Canada in the very near future is going to experience decreased purchasing power with its currency which will cause pain for many. Give it some time but many will be wishing for the prosperous days of the Conservatives and fondly remember Harper and the good old days.

I predict....

Merry Christmas

Declined purchasing power had already happened under Harper just like the global economic crisis had already happened under your Bush and terrorism came to America under Bush.

#380 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

Once you reach into a man's pocket and pull his money out you will see him react ready for a change to bring the good times back. Canada in the very near future is going to experience decreased purchasing power with its currency which will cause pain for many. Give it some time but many will be wishing for the prosperous days of the Conservatives and fondly remember Harper and the good old days.

I predict....

http://news.yahoo.co...NjBfMQRzZWMDc2M

Merry Christmas

Edited by JakeHolman, 23 December 2015 - 09:55 PM.

John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users