We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TRUDEAU'S CANADA

• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#361 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

They brought Republican advisers up from the U.S. to teach them how to make negative attacks work.

Not just Republican.

In September the Conservatives, with their campaign appearing to be floundering, brought aboard Lynton Crosby, described as an Australian campaign fixer. He was behind four consecutive victories of Australian PM John Howard, as well as David Cameron in the U.K. last May.

Crosby has been called "a master of the dark political arts."

From the National Post regarding Crosby:

The term “dog-whistle politics” is said to have originated in Australia in response to the tactics used by the Crosby-led Howard campaign team. The term refers to the use of code words that seem benign to the general populace but which are intended to send veiled messages — typically racist or otherwise distasteful messages — to target voters.

Lynton Crosby has also been linked to tactics that have rallied voters fearful of immigration and crime behind the campaigns he advises.

It is since Crosby came aboard the Conservative ship that Harper has targeted Muslim women and their veils and, with that, his poll numbers have increased.

#362 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,199 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

The Conservatives under Harper have specialized in attack ads ever since he came to power in 2006. He is always in partisan campaign mode even between elections. For two years now they have spent a fortune on TV and radio ads portraying Justin Trudeau of the Liberals as a callow youth not ready for leadership. (TWO YEARS!). Those ads have continued throughout the campaign on both television and radio.

They brought Republican advisers up from the U.S. to teach them how to make negative attacks work. Canada was far more civilized in its political advertising before Harper took over the Reform Party and amalgamated it with what was left of the PC's.

Money is no object to winning with the right-wing, and there's no such thing as dishonorable conduct for them. Anything goes - and I mean anything, no matter how sneaky, dirty or dishonest.

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#363 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

And of course Liberals never do anything like that. Perfect Angeles.

The Conservatives under Harper have specialized in attack ads ever since he came to power in 2006. He is always in partisan campaign mode even between elections. For two years now they have spent a fortune on TV and radio ads portraying Justin Trudeau of the Liberals as a callow youth not ready for leadership. (TWO YEARS!). Those ads have continued throughout the campaign on both television and radio.

The Liberals, by contrast to Harper, have had upbeat campaign ads of what they offer Canadians (their theme "Real Change"). They have had no personal attack ads of any kind.

#364 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

. It's the black art of politics and it can get pretty ugly at times.

And of course Liberals never do anything like that. Perfect Angeles.

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#365 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

Have a great evening.

Thanks, Jake, but it won't be one for me on October 19 if Harper wins again.

Latest polls released today have a neck and neck race between the Conservatives and Liberals, but with the Liberals now surging in Ontario and, surprisingly, Quebec, as the NDP vote is falling further behind. This is not a good sign for Harper but he has proven to be a masterful manipulator of people's emotions (not that that makes him different from a lot of other politicians, of course, except that he's better at it than most).

I'm half expecting the Conservatives to pull some kind of "surprise" in the final days of the campaign (a leak to the media of some kind about Justin Trudeau, for example) to try to have the Liberals on the defensive. It's the black art of politics and it can get pretty ugly at times.

#366 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,199 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:33 PM

Polls show that approximately 70% of Canadians do NOT want Harper to get re-elected. He keeps getting back in because of the vote split between the two main opposition parties to him.

Ralph Nader is such a smart man. He was on 'The Agenda' last week and Steve Paiken asked him why he thought that Harper kept getting elected with only about 1/3 of the electorate voting for him. Without the least hesitation Nader responded "first past the post".

Which is entirely correct. Ralph, an American, understands the Canadian situation - which impressed me. Now that Canada has so many parties splitting the vote in our Parliamentary Democracy, it's imperative that we switch to a representational parliament that reflects that voting. "First past the post" is skewing the results to give too many seats to a party with only the support of a third of the electorate. The other two thirds are being dis-serviced by it.

Of course, to tackle the issue, first we have to change the majority party so that the proposal can be put forth. So, here's hoping for that.

• TomJH likes this
White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#367 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

I assume that this is your desire, Jake, because you think it will be better for American business interests.

I'm not one to comment on another country and its domestic affairs. But if I were a Canadian citizen, I think it's highly likely I'd vote a straight ticket for Harper and his conservative party.

Have a great evening.

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#368 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

Still a nail-biter. Hope to see Harper and the conservatives make a surge at the end. 

http://www.electiona....com/ea/canada/

I assume that this is your desire, Jake, because you think it will be better for American business interests.

Harper was doing poorly in the polls (third place for a while) when the headline emphasis was upon the meager jobs growth in Canada under his watch, the fact that Canada was in recession for the first six months this year, Senate scandals, as well as his cold response to accepting Syrian refugees into the country. Harper needed a hot button issue to stir up fears and passions and take the public's mind off his political record.

Since then he and the Conservatives have exploited the Islamophobia in sections of Canada (particularly Quebec) by insisting upon a ban of the covered facial veil that some Muslim women have worn at citizenship ceremonies. He is also speculating about passing a new law forbidding any Muslim civil servants from wearing a veil when dealing with the public. (I heard that approximately one percent of civil servants are Muslim women), He is shamelessly stoking fears of the "unknown" that goes with foreigners and Muslims, in particular, among some Canadians.

His main two party opponents' attitudes have been that a woman has the right to wear a veil across her face for religious or cultural reasons, no matter what the rest of us may think about it. We, as Canadian citizens, should have no right to dictate to another Canadian citizen (or soon-to-be citizen) about a facial veil, particularly when that veil is doing no one any harm.

Thomas Mulcair of the NDP has taken a huge hit at the polls because of his honourable stand because most of his political support is in Quebec. Justin Trudeau, of the Liberals, said that no election win is worth it if it involves pitting Canadians against Canadians.

Harper's blatantly political games playing at the expense of Muslims is making it increasingly more uncomfortable for Muslims in our country. One Muslim woman (born and raised in Canada) who wears a veil reports in the Toronto Star that she has been getting looks and comments from people in the public including "go back home" that she didn't get before Harper started to talk about the niqab (the veil) in his campaign. Other Muslim women wearing veils also spoke of their increasing discomfort since Harper started his anti-niqab rhetoric.

An editorial in The Toronto Star (never a fan of Harper, admittedly) today has an editorial entitled "Can Harper Stoop Lower?"

Stephen Harper, in my opinion, does not have the moral authority to continue to be Prime Minister of Canada

• mr6666 and rewrite like this

#369 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:31 AM

Still a nail-biter. Hope to see Harper and the conservatives make a surge at the end. 

#370 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

Tom, I hope that there are strong laws in Canada that prohibit candidates or parties from receiving monies from outside of the country.

I haven't heard anything about foreign donations to Canadians parties. It certainly isn't an issue here that gets any press coverage that I have seen. Perhaps someone else can answer your question, mrroberts.

In two polls released today it appears that Harper and the Conservatives have opened a lead over the two opposition parties, the Liberals and the NDP. The Conservatives now have 34 per cent, as opposed to a 27 per cent tie between the other two parties. There is still, however, as much as 17 per cent that have not yet decided.

Commentators are pointing to the niqab issue as the reason for this Conservative rise in the polls, the niqab being the face covering worn by Muslim women during citizenship ceremonies. The Conservatives are fighting a court ruling which agreed with a Muslim woman who had appealed a government ban on the niqab. The two opposition parties argue that this is an example of the Prime Minister stoking divisions and appealing to his conservative base of voters.

There is an undercurrent of anti-Muslim resentment in parts of Canada (residents of Quebec are particularly opposed to the niqab, where Harper's polls have now increased). The Prime Minister of Canada stokes the fires of this prejudice very skilfully for his own political gain.

#371 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

Tom, I hope that there are strong laws in Canada that prohibit candidates or parties from receiving monies from outside of the country. This is the Canadian people deciding who they want to represent them and run their country. I would hate to think that outsiders like the billionaire Koch brothers could corrupt the election process like they do in the U.S.  The Canadian  people can see what a mess the right wing is making of America, surely they don't want that to happen in their country.

#372 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

Polls show that approximately 70% of Canadians do NOT want Harper to get re-elected. He keeps getting back in because of the vote split between the two main opposition parties to him.

The political attack ads that Harper utilizes on his political opponents are very reminiscent of the kind of ads associated with the Republican Party. So far his opponents have held off on using the same kind of ads but there are two and a half weeks to go in an extraordinarily close race.

Recent polls taken show that the October 19th election is too close to call, though Harper and the Conservatives have been inching up in them lately. A few weeks ago they were in third place, now they're in first - barely.

Barack Obama is very popular among Canadians, who, in a recent poll taken, also indicated a strong preference for the Democratic Party, as opposed to the Republican, in the U.S..

#373 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

Need to see Harper and his conservative party win the coming election on Oct. the 19th 2015. He would be an excellent ally for a Republican President. He's pro business and has worked with the U.S. in exporting oil to us. We need him.

Latest polls:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users