We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TRUDEAU'S CANADA

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#21 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,490 posts
  • LocationTRUMP COUNTRY -- GOD'S COUNTRY -- PROUD DEPLORABLE

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

‘Build that wall?’ Some Canadians are calling for more border control, too

This get-tough approach reflects public opinion surveys that show a hardening of attitudes among some Canadians toward the asylum seekers and immigration in general, placing political pressure on the government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Canadian news recently has been full of images of migrants trudging across snow-covered fields and through icy ditches, hauling small children and suitcases as they cross into Quebec, Manitoba and other provinces from U.S. border states. The phenomenon has gained momentum since Donald Trump was elected president in November.

Kevin O’Leary, a reality-TV celebrity and neophyte politician who has taken a Trumplike approach to his quest for the Conservative leadership, says illegal crossings are “unacceptable” and that Canada must beef up its border security to avert a flood of refugees. “I don’t want what’s happening in Europe to happen in Canada,” he said in a recent campaign video.

THE WASHINGTON POST >> https://www.washingt...m=.0d6f7cb3231d

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

All glory is fleeting. General George Patton 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The American dream does not come to those who fall asleep. Pres. Richard Nixon  

The American people, North and South, went into the war as citizens of their respective states, they came out as subjects. What they thus lost they have never got back.  H.L. Mencken

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#22 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

They have been lax, how else can you explain the dumping of billions of gallons of raw sewage. Even Trudeau said he is fine with dumping sewage, he wants the money spent elsewhere. This is why they should not be preaching to anyone else.

Being the partisan that you are, you refuse to address what Trump now wants to do to the ETA while blasting Canada. Yup, you're a hypocrite.

#23 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

What a spectacular hypocrite you are, MM! If Canada has been lax in its environmental controls regarding water pollution then fine, it fully deserves criticism.

They have been lax, how else can you explain the dumping of billions of gallons of raw sewage. Even Trudeau said he is fine with dumping sewage, he wants the money spent elsewhere. This is why they should not be preaching to anyone else.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#24 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

Billions of litres of raw sewage being dumped into Canadian waters, once you get that cleaned up then preach to others.

What a spectacular hypocrite you are, MM! If Canada has been lax in its environmental controls regarding water pollution then fine, it fully deserves criticism.

But YOU voted for Trump who is about to strip the ETA of massive funds, and yet not a word comes out of your mouth about it. It's virtually impossible for you to view anything without partisan glasses on, isn't it?

#25 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Canada Free Press @canadafreepress 3h3 hours ago

While World Leaders Contend with Islamic Terrorism, Trudeau Pushes ban on Islamophobia ... http://tinyurl.com/lpgq46d 

I'm proud that Canada has a Prime Minister standing up for the rights of a minority religious group.

Jake thinks any politician opposed to Islamophobia is a bad thing. What the hell does that say about Jake?

#26 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,220 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

You can't possibly be calling out a world leader, any world leader, for spending too much of the taxpayer's money on trips while at the same time giving Trump a pass for spending millions EVERY WEEK.

• mr6666 likes this

#27 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

GgQ90-VM_bigger.jpg

Canada Free Press @canadafreepress 3h3 hours ago

While World Leaders Contend with Islamic Terrorism, Trudeau Pushes ban on Islamophobia ... http://tinyurl.com/lpgq46d 

C7omPu2VwAAN1A4.jpg

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The American people, North and South, went into the war as citizens of their respective states, they came out as subjects. What they thus lost they have never got back.  H.L. Mencken

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#28 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

#29 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:04 AM

Sewage flows into Toronto harbour regularly, says new advocacy group report

Sewage flows into Toronto's inner harbour regularly from nine "hotspots," states a new report from a local environmental advocacy group.

In a video released on Thursday, Lake Ontario Waterkeeper outlined the findings of 10 sampling trips in the harbour throughout the summer. Samples were tested for E. coli, a bacteria indicating the presence of sewage.

Billions of litres of raw sewage, untreated waste water pouring into Canadian waterways

Two-thirds of the more than 160 samples collected failed to meet Ontario governmental standards for protection, the group said.

And, on one day, the team found E. coli levels near Bathurst Street and Queen's Quay West were 700 times higher than Ontario's swimming standards.

"The bacteria levels were off the charts," said Krystyn Tully, vice president of Lake Ontario Waterkeeper.

Billions of litres of raw sewage being dumped into Canadian waters, once you get that cleaned up then preach to others.

#30 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

Exclusive: Almost half of Canadians want illegal border crossers deported - Reuters poll

Nearly half of Canadians want to deport people who are illegally crossing into Canada from the United States, and a similar number disapprove of how Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is handling the influx, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Monday.

Canadians appeared to be just as concerned about illegal immigration as American, according to the poll, which was conducted between March 8-9. Some 48 percent supported "increasing the deportation of people living in Canada illegally." (For graphics on asylum process, immigration poll

REUTERS > http://www.reuters.c...SKBN16R0SK?il=0

BUILD THE WALL. KEEP 'EM OUT. ROUND 'EM UP. BOOT 'EM OUT. BAD ONES WIPE 'EM OUT.

#31 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Wait until they find out how bad the weather and pollution is, they will be leaving Canada in droves.

That's rich coming from someone in the land of Trump who wants to slash the EPA. Take a look in your own backyard, buddy.

And, remember, YOU voted for him. Now you're about to gradually discover the environmental price for that vote.

Unfortunately, Canadians are going to suffer, too, from your science denying clown in office. There is already speculation about the impact on the drinking water for Ontarians because of proposed cutbacks on U.S. treatment of the water in the Great Lakes.

Hopefully politicians in the states by the Great Lakes will be able to fight Orange Top and Scott Pruitt to some degree.

#32 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

Canadian border authorities detaining record number of Mexicans

By Anna Mehler Paperny

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canada's border authorities detained more Mexicans in the first 67 days of 2017 than they did annually in any of the three previous years, according to statistics obtained by Reuters.

Wait until they find out how bad the weather and pollution is, they will be leaving Canada in droves.

#33 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

Canadian border authorities detaining record number of Mexicans

By Anna Mehler Paperny

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canada's border authorities detained more Mexicans in the first 67 days of 2017 than they did annually in any of the three previous years, according to statistics obtained by Reuters.

The spike comes immediately after Canada's federal government lifted its visa requirement for Mexican citizens in December.

REUTERS >> https://www.yahoo.co...-001607040.html

giphy.gif

#34 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

An intriguing article:

Daughter diplomacy: Trudeau’s unorthodox play for Donald Trump’s approval

Hanging out with Ivanka offers an in to a president who seems to value personal relationships over ideology — but whose brand is coming out ahead in this new friendship?

https://www.thestar....s-approval.html

7adb73ff75464e1d9d157259d4032490-7adb73f

#35 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

GgQ90-VM_bigger.jpg

Canada Free Press‏ @canadafreepress 24h24 hours ago

Health-care spending more than doubled since 2001; projected to keep growing ... http://tinyurl.com/hmx4ulh 

Good.  Better that then cutting taxes for billionaires and spending it on bombs or a stupid border wall.

• ChristineHoard likes this

#36 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

GgQ90-VM_bigger.jpg

Canada Free Press @canadafreepress 24h24 hours ago

Health-care spending more than doubled since 2001; projected to keep growing ... http://tinyurl.com/hmx4ulh 

#37 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

GgQ90-VM_bigger.jpg

Canada Free Press @canadafreepress 16h16 hours ago

Vancouver West End renters shocked by proposed monthly increase to rent ... http://tinyurl.com/jgvkdsg  CFP News and Videos

#38 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Canada’s unemployment rate falls to 6.6%, the lowest level in more than 2 years

“This continues the string of improving Canadian economic data and suggests that the underlying economy continues to gain steam,” said BMO senior economist Benjamin Reitzes in a note to clients. “One more piece of evidence that the Canadian economy has turned the corner.”

https://www.thestar....alls-to-66.html

#39 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

#40 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users