We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TRUDEAU'S CANADA

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#41 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

B1gH6xXm_bigger.jpg TorontoStar‏Verified account @TorontoStar 9h9 hours ago

Linguistic diversity rising, with 7.6 million Canadians able to speak a language other than French or English. https://www.thestar....us-reveals.html

They need a Pres. Trump kind of person...

>>

Immigration is driving the country’s increasingly diverse linguistic landscape, Statistics Canada says. Earlier census results showed that migration is behind Canada’s population growth and these new Canadians are bringing their mother tongues with them. More than 7.3 million Canadians reported speaking what Statistics Canada deems an “immigrant” language — a language other than English or French whose existence in Canada is due primarily to immigration — at home.

The main languages are Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi, Spanish, Tagalog and Arabic. European languages such as Italian, Polish and German were spoken less at home, a change that reflects the changing pattern of immigration, with more new Canadians coming from Asia.

Nearly half of those Canadians with an immigrant mother tongue lived in Ontario in 2016. In Toronto, Cantonese, Mandarin and Punjabi were the most reported immigrant mother tongues.

The number of Arabic speakers is growing, up 30.5 per cent in Ontario, and this was the main immigrant language spoken at home in three Atlantic provinces.

Tagalog is the main immigrant language spoken at home in the Prairies, its use growing by 123 per cent in Saskatchewan, 68 per cent in Alberta and 42 per cent in Manitoba.

Among Canada’s Indigenous peoples, Cree was the language most often spoken at home, followed by Inukitut and Ojibwa.

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#42 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

B1gH6xXm_bigger.jpg TorontoStar‏Verified account @TorontoStar Aug 1

Savages, scalps and stereotypes: I combed through the Star’s historical Indigenous coverage https://www.thestar....coverage.html …DGJWYDZW0AAAT6Z.jpg
Seems the Canucks don't have a progressive history with their Indians...

That's the pot calling the kettle black.

#43 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

B1gH6xXm_bigger.jpg TorontoStarVerified account @TorontoStar 9h9 hours ago

Linguistic diversity rising, with 7.6 million Canadians able to speak a language other than French or English. https://www.thestar....us-reveals.html

Canada needs a Pres. Trump kind of person for what exactly when it comes to languages? The man has an English vocabulary of barely a couple of hundred words.

Greater linguistic diversity in a nation is a POSITIVE, Jake. Don't you get that, or does absolutely everyone have to be the same in your ideal little world?

#44 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,073 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

B1gH6xXm_bigger.jpg TorontoStar‏Verified account @TorontoStar 9h9 hours ago

Yes, how horrible to be able to speak more than one language.  Sad.

#45 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

B1gH6xXm_bigger.jpg TorontoStarVerified account @TorontoStar Aug 1

Seems the Canucks don't have a progressive history with their Indians...

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#46 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

B1gH6xXm_bigger.jpg TorontoStarVerified account @TorontoStar 9h9 hours ago

Linguistic diversity rising, with 7.6 million Canadians able to speak a language other than French or English. https://www.thestar....us-reveals.htmlcensus.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x738.jpg

John Wayne

#47 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

B1gH6xXm_bigger.jpg TorontoStarVerified account @TorontoStar 8h8 hours ago

The Canadian household averaged just 2.4 people in 2016. Here are more gighlights from the 2016 census: http://thestar.com/news/canada/2017/08/02/highlights-from-the-2016-census.html DGPeUajXYAAFfij.jpg

Here come the illegals...O Canada...

John Wayne

#48 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

kX78tAtH_bigger.jpg Montreal GazetteVerified account @mtlgazette 49m49 minutes ago

How to help refugees and asylum seekers coming to Montreal http://montrealgazet...ing-to-montreal

The conservative Canucks will counter this -- same as us...

John Wayne

#49 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

kX78tAtH_bigger.jpg Montreal GazetteVerified account @mtlgazette 2h2 hours ago

#Montreal is one, and so are an increasing number of Canadian cities. Learn what "sanctuary city" really means: http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreals-big-o-used-to-shelter-haitian-refugees-flowing-from-u-s-to-canada 

Let's see how it works out a couple of yrs. from now. Take in more...

John Wayne

#50 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

John Wayne

#51 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

GgQ90-VM_bigger.jpg Canada Free Press @canadafreepress 3h3 hours ago

Health-care costs for typical Canadian family will eclipse $12,000 this year; up ... http://tinyurl.com/y7amc97s DGLlb2TV0AAfeF9.jpg

So much for inexpensive Canadian health care...

John Wayne

#52 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

4fgNVF4H_bigger.jpg BloombergVerified account @business 2h2 hours ago

The upcoming battle over Nafta will test the strength of renewed Canada-Mexico ties https://bloom.bg/2vjcrhy DGJKFviV0AEcsiq.jpg

John Wayne

#53 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:17 AM

azSzxYkB_bigger.jpg Business InsiderVerified account @businessinsider 54m54 minutes ago

Canada's housing experts are bracing for a meltdown http://read.bi/2u0hXX8 DGJaFk4WsAAMPU7.jpg

John Wayne

#54 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

RAKyEqS2_bigger.png Bloomberg Canada @BloombergCA 1h1 hour ago

Here's why some on Trudeau's team worry about Poloz hiking rates too quickly https://bloom.bg/2tI0mPj DFyJIKiXUAAhfi1.jpg

John Wayne

#55 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

RAKyEqS2_bigger.png Bloomberg Canada @BloombergCA 17m17 minutes ago

Oil-sands firms are chipping away at their high-cost image https://bloom.bg/2tHTVf9 DFyXjByWsAAeMMJ.jpg

They produce a lot of money for Canadians...a lot....

John Wayne

#56 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

When Trump and Trudeau first met, Trudeau only visited for about 15 minutes and ran out of things to think of. That's the great world leader he is, he's as clueless as Obama.

If length of conversation with Trump is your gold standard for great leadership, MM, you must be very impressed with Putin then.

Too bad it's only the Russians who know what they talked about.

#57 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,408 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

I give Trudeau props for spending 15 minutes with Donny MAGA.

Most folks would likely bail after 1.5 minutes. 

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#58 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,073 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Good old balanced Fox News on Rolling Stone magazine's cover story on Justin Trudeau draws comparisons to the Boston bombers.  They decry RS as fake news and brag about being bigots.

#59 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Canadian Business Warns Trudeau on Rising Cost of Climate Plan

Canada’s climate-change plan and other government measures are heaping costs on businesses and pushing them to a breaking point, the Chamber of Commerce says in a warning to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Chamber President Perrin Beatty, in a letter Tuesday, asked Trudeau to find ways to cut business costs to offset the impact of an emissions plan that includes a minimum carbon price beginning next year. Failure to do so could mean “seriously undermining Canada’s competitiveness,” he said.

“The cost of doing business in Canada is rising,” Beatty said in the letter, which was also sent to the country’s provincial premiers. “Our members are deeply worried about their ability to both grow their businesses within Canada or compete for investment and customers from abroad.”

Just like Obama did, Trudeau is hurting businesses. And people are dumb enough to actually want this guy to be a U.S. president?????

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#60 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

Trudeau and Horgan sidestep pipeline talks in 1st meeting

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and new B.C. Premier John Horgan sidestepped the contentious debate surrounding the future of the planned Trans Mountain pipeline expansion as the two leaders held a first meeting in Ottawa.

Instead, the pair said they were focused on issues of common ground, including the economy, the opioid crisis, raging wildfires in B.C. and reconciliation with Indigenous people.

Trudeau said they were both "progressive politicians" who have plenty of areas for priority, and that disputes would be worked out.

This is another example of Trudeau skipping the tough decisions like Obama. Maybe try comic books, something much easier understood by him.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users