We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Made for Each Other" 1939 Video Movie Review, Happy B-day Carole Lombard!

Made for Each Other Carole Lombard James Stewart Charles Coburn 1939 John Cromwell

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

Ian--I agree, it's a middling film at best.  My take on it is that it veered from comedy to drama & gets too close to ultimate tragedy.  It's too much to take, the swings in mood from scene to scene.  It's like "The War of the Roses" (1989), which was promoted as a romantic comedy--as opposed to a comedy about divorce, & what a couple will do to each other in the process--it's a good film--see it some day.

Your camera presence & confidence is fine--no real criticisms to make :)

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,959 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:30 PM

Okay, I've watched it Ian. Some thoughts:

Lombard was also contracted to Selnzick for the screwball comedy NOTHING SACRED, made two years earlier with Fredric March. 

Coburn was just establishing himself as a dependable character actor in Hollywood at this stage of his film career.

Selznick first used this story (as you said, based on a real life event) in MGM's NIGHT FLIGHT made six years earlier, where there is an emergency flight to bring medicine to a sick child. 

https://en.wikipedia...ght_(1933_film)

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,959 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:05 PM

Glad you reviewed this film, Ian. I will watch your video commentary later and get back to you. I am curious about why you only gave it two and a half stars. I think it's a three-star film.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

In honor of Carole Lombard's birthday, I did a review of one of her lesser known movies! It had some pretty good moments! I hope you enjoy the review!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel or give a like to the video if you enjoyed! I come out with about 3 reviews a week! 

Attached Files

• TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Made for Each Other, Carole Lombard, James Stewart, Charles Coburn, 1939, John Cromwell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users