We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Golden Earrings" Video Movie Review...One of My Personal Favorites!

Golden Earrings Ray Milland Marlene Dietrich 1947

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

Yes, I saw "Golden Earrings" (GE)about 10 years ago--very enjoyable but somewhat silly film--Mitchell Leisen's direction keeps things moving & film doesn't get too serious--that's my viewpoint.

Comments:

You got the (what I think funniest) story in the review--about Marlene, Ray, & the cooked fish head--major kudos for that. :)

You got the spirit of the film over in words (a hard thing to do)--congrats.

There was less of a wait while you found your passage in your books--good--the passage(s) chosen--darn near perfect :)

You went at the film from a serious angle--I would (and did) just look for the silliness when I saw GE--you got both angles across--good job.

No major mistakes--wonderful. :)

• TopBilled and IanPatrickMovieReviews like this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

I watched this movie a few years ago. It was very memorable. It's one of the last starring roles Dietrich had at Paramount, her home studio in Hollywood. Milland is an interesting choice as costar, coming off his Oscar win for THE LOST WEEKEND.

But it's really Mitchell Leisen's skillful direction that makes the film must-see. And as you indicated in your review, Dietrich allows herself to be very uninhibited which adds to the fun. I don't think she cuts loose so much in most of her other films, except for maybe DESTRY RIDES AGAIN.

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:19 PM

I saw this movie about a year ago, and I fell in love instantly. I highly recommend you watch this movie if you like war/romance films! The best gypsy movie ever in my opinion.

Subscribe to me on YouTube and enjoy the video review! For the rest of October, I will only be doing horror/suspense movie reviews to really get in the Halloween spirit! Look for my upcoming reviews in the horror genre forum!

Attached Files

• TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Golden Earrings, Ray Milland, Marlene Dietrich, 1947

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users