We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

An evening of Val Lewton

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

The last two Val Lewton productions I saw were I Walked with a Zombie and The Leopard Man.  Both films had great sets and photography.  They functioned more as psychological horror, which engages the imagination.

"The Leopard Man" is another strange film it's starts one way but then takes a turn for the bizarre.  And you are right Lewton's film are less about horror that about psychological terror

• TopBilled and ChristineHoard like this

#2 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

The last two Val Lewton productions I saw were I Walked with a Zombie and The Leopard Man.  Both films had great sets and photography.  They functioned more as psychological horror, which engages the imagination.

• TopBilled, ChristineHoard and jaragon like this

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

It's a shame most of these films get trotted out just once a year. The Kim Hunter title probably turns up more often, because when they do birthday tributes for her, or have a night of Kim Hunter essentials, she has such a relatively short filmography they usually include THE SEVENTH VICTIM.

I think my favourite of the Lewtons is the one with Richard Dix (THE GHOST SHIP) and I also like BEDLAM, because it's a departure to see sweet demure Anna Lee in a horror film.

" The Ghost Ship" is a very strange film

• TopBilled, ChristineHoard and cinemaspeak59 like this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

I really enjoy most Lewton produced films became I don't find them to be campy.     This is why I also like the original Frankenstein and The Wolf Man (the best,  most non-campy, Universal horror films IMO).     I.e. 'actual horror' is borderline camp by definition.  

It's a shame most of these films get trotted out just once a year. The Kim Hunter title probably turns up more often, because when they do birthday tributes for her, or have a night of Kim Hunter essentials, she has such a relatively short filmography they usually include THE SEVENTH VICTIM.

I think my favourite of the Lewtons is the one with Richard Dix (THE GHOST SHIP) and I also like BEDLAM, because it's a departure to see sweet demure Anna Lee in a horror film.

• ChristineHoard, LatriceRoyale, cinemaspeak59 and 1 other like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

I really enjoy most Lewton produced films became I don't find them to be campy.     This is why I also like the original Frankenstein and The Wolf Man (the best,  most non-campy, Universal horror films IMO).     I.e. 'actual horror' is borderline camp by definition.  

There is nothing "campy" about Lewton's film. There is real sense of dread which lurk in the shadows.

• TopBilled, ChristineHoard and cinemaspeak59 like this

#6 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

I didn't mind the documentary when I saw it. It's a tribute to Lewton and Scorsese is obviously a fan.

Yes, the films are true classics. More implied terror and suspense than actual horror, but good nonetheless.

• TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and jaragon like this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

I think the documentary is a bit pretentious- but the films are timeless masterpieces of terror

I didn't mind the documentary when I saw it. It's a tribute to Lewton and Scorsese is obviously a fan.

Yes, the films are true classics. More implied terror and suspense than actual horror, but good nonetheless.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#8 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Tonight on TCM:

screen-shot-2017-10-10-at-7-54-17-am.png

CAT PEOPLE with Simone Simon

THE BODY SNATCHER with Boris Karloff

VAL LEWTON: THE MAN IN THE SHADOWS with Martin Scorsese

I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE with Frances Dee

THE SEVENTH VICTIM with Kim Hunter

BEDLAM with Anna Lee

THE LEOPARD MAN with Dennis O’Keefe

THE GHOST SHIP with Richard Dix

ISLE OF THE DEAD with Ellen Drew

I think the documentary is a bit pretentious- but the films are timeless masterpieces of terror

• TopBilled likes this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

Tonight on TCM:

screen-shot-2017-10-10-at-7-54-17-am.png

CAT PEOPLE with Simone Simon

THE BODY SNATCHER with Boris Karloff

VAL LEWTON: THE MAN IN THE SHADOWS with Martin Scorsese

I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE with Frances Dee

THE SEVENTH VICTIM with Kim Hunter

BEDLAM with Anna Lee

THE LEOPARD MAN with Dennis O’Keefe

THE GHOST SHIP with Richard Dix

ISLE OF THE DEAD with Ellen Drew

• ChristineHoard, cinemaspeak59 and jaragon like this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:53 PM

Great photo, Natalie! Thanks for sharing it.

• Natalie Webb likes this

#11 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

You should be able to post pictures.

Here's information that will help:

http://forums.tcm.co...teps-with-pics/

Okay, thank you! Here's the picture. Nancy is the one standing next to Alla.

photo-1944-nazimova-nancy-davis-.jpg 

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:17 PM

Will it not let you post pictures on here?

You should be able to post pictures.

Here's information that will help:

http://forums.tcm.co...teps-with-pics/

#13 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:03 PM

hmm..Will it not et you post pictures on here?

#14 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:03 PM

I did not know she was Nancy's godmother. Now that's an interesting bit of trivia. :)

Here is a picture of Nancy and Alla. Nancy is standing next to her.

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

Its so interesting to me that Alla was not only Val Lewton's Aunt, she was Nancy Reagan's godmother. It would've been so cool if she was in one of Val's movies, even cooler if they filmed a few scenes at the "Garden of Alla"

I did not know she was Nancy's godmother. Now that's an interesting bit of trivia. :)

#16 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

Yes, Natalie-- supposedly Nazimova inspired some of the stories he chose to do at RKO. She was experiencing a resurgence as a character actress in the early to mid-40s. It's a shame she didn't appear in one of his movies.

Its so interesting to me that Alla was not only Val Lewton's Aunt, she was Nancy Reagan's godmother. It would've been so cool if she was in one of Val's movies, even cooler if they filmed a few scenes at the "Garden of Alla"

• TopBilled likes this

#17 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:51 PM

I really enjoyed The Leopard Man (1943) which was produced by Lewton. I turned off all the lights and watched it in the dark around Halloween, its even spookier that way! The first death is the scariest to me.

• TopBilled, film lover 293 and cinemaspeak59 like this

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

Yes, Natalie-- supposedly Nazimova inspired some of the stories he chose to do at RKO. She was experiencing a resurgence as a character actress in the early to mid-40s. It's a shame she didn't appear in one of his movies.

#19 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

Val Lewton was very talented. I found it interesting that he is the nephew of famous actress Alla Nazimova.alla-nazimova-portrait-in-the-silent-fil

• LawrenceA and cinemaspeak59 like this

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:49 PM

A reminder that the Lewton films are coming up on TCM...can't wait for this. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users