We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

B-western classics

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

The following performers have films available for streaming on Amazon Prime:

HOOT GIBSON

SMITH BALLEW

SUNSET CARSON

REX ALLEN

WILLIAM BOYD

JOHNNY MACK BROWN

BUCK JONES

JACK RANDALL

BUSTER CRABBE

BILL ELLIOTT

THE WEAVER BROTHERS and ELVIRY

LASH LARUE

JOHN WAYNE (before he became an A-list star)

KEN MAYNARD

DALE EVANS and ROY ROGERS

EDDIE DEAN

MICHAEL CHAPIN and EILENE JANSSEN

BOB STEELE

ALLAN LANE

DON BARRY

TIM MCCOY

TEX RITTER

TOM TYLER

ROBERT LIVINGSTON

GENE AUTRY

Now that I have gone through the original list, this concludes most of my posting in the thread. If I find any others to add later on, I will do so. 

I hope this has been helpful and adds to continuing enjoyment (and in some cases, discovery) of B western classics.

:)

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-10%2Bat%2B7.25.1

Gene Autry's B films on Amazon Prime:

OH SUSANNAH

MAN FROM MUSIC MOUNTAIN

OLD BARN DANCE

OLD CORRAL

GIT ALONG LITTLE DOGIES

RIM OF THE CANYON

ROLL ON TEXAS MOON

ROOTIN' TOOTIN' RHYTHM

PUBLIC COWBOY NO. 1

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

Quite a few of Robert Livingston's B-films are available on Amazon Prime:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-09%2Bat%2B4.28.4

HEART OF THE ROCKIES

THE LARAMIE TRAIL

BENEATH WESTERN SKIES

BOLD CABALLERO

GUNSMOKE RANCH

HIT THE SADDLE

PALS OF THE PECOS

PIONEERS OF THE WEST

PRAIRIE PIONEERS

ROCKY MOUNTAIN RANGERS

SADDLEMATES

THE BIG BONANZA

THE TRAIL BLAZERS

RANGE DEFENDERS

UNDER TEXAS SKIES

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

From the list in my original post, I still need to go over the B films available for Robert Livingston and Gene Autry. I can't think of any others. If I come across some more, I will likely add them to the thread.

P.S. One person I did not include is Charles Starrett who made many B westerns at Columbia. Unfortunately, those films are not on Amazon Prime at this time.

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

A few of Tom Tyler's B-films are available on Amazon Prime:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-07%2Bat%2B8.05.1

BORN TO BATTLE

RIP ROARIN' BUCKAROO

RIDIN ON

BLOCKED TRAIL

WEST OF CIMARRON

THE PHANTOM PLAINSMEN

SHADOWS ON THE SAGE

CODE OF THE OUTLAW

RAIDERS OF THE RANGE

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:38 AM

Tex Ritter B-films available on Amazon Prime:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-06%2Bat%2B5.32.2

RIDERS OF THE ROCKIES

TEX RIDES WITH THE BOY SCOUTS

ARIZONA DAYS

THE MYSTERY OF THE HOODED HORSEMEN

SING COWBOY SING

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

Some Tim McCoy B-films are available on Amazon Prime:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-05%2Bat%2B6.28.3

DOWN TEXAS WAY

STRAIGHT SHOOTER

GUNMAN FROM BODIE

THE PHANTOM RANGER

FIGHTING RENEGADE

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

imgres.jpg

These Don Barry B-films are available on Amazon Prime:

DEATH VALLEY OUTLAWS

FRONTIER VENGEANCE

ONE MAN'S LAW

DEAD MAN'S GULCH

TEXAS TERROR

THE CYCLONE KID

WYOMING WILDCAT

CALIFORNIA JOE

OUTLAWS OF SANTA FE

CARSON CITY CYCLONE

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:59 AM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-03%2Bat%2B10.21.

These Allan Lane B films are available on Amazon Prime:

CORPUS CHRISTI BANDITS

CARSON CITY RAIDERS

BLACK HILLS AMBUSH

FORT DODGE STAMPEDE

FRISCO TORNADO

LEADVILLE GUNSLINGER

NAVAJO TRAIL RAIDERS

MARSHAL OF AMARILLO

POWDER RIVER RUSTLERS

RUSTLERS ON HORSEBACK

SUNDOWN IN SANTA FE

THE DENVER KID

THE WYOMING BANDIT

THUNDERING CARAVANS

BANDIT KING OF TEXAS

MARSHAL OF CEDAR ROCK

COVERED WAGON RAID

DEATH VALLEY GUNFIGHTER

DESPERADOES' OUTPOST

EL PASO STAMPEDE

GUNMEN OF ABILENE

NIGHT RIDERS OF MONTANA

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-03%2Bat%2B10.17.

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

The next actor on my list is Allan 'Rocky' Lane. He had a long-term contract at Republic from around 1939 to 1953 and made many B films at the studio (90% of them were westerns). Fortunately, a large number of his B westerns are available on Amazon Prime, and the prints are in very good condition.

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

Some of Bob Steele's B westerns are available on Amazon Prime:

5440_1011541158.jpg

UNDER TEXAS SKIES

SUNDOWN SAUNDERS

BLOCKED TRAIL

CODE OF THE OUTLAW

OUTLAW TRAIL

BORDER PHANTOM

PALS OF THE PECOS

PRAIRIE PIONEERS

RAIDERS OF THE RANGE

SADDLEMATES

SONORA STAGECOACH

SHADOWS ON THE SAGE

THE TRAIL BLAZERS

THE PHANTOM PLAINSMEN

WEST OF CIMARRON

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:38 AM

Michael Chapin & Eilene Janssen were known as the Rough Ridin' Kids.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-30%2Bat%2B7.33.5

Two of their B westerns are available on Amazon Prime:

THE DAKOTA KID
WILD HORSE AMBUSH

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

Some of Eddie Dean's B westerns are available on Amazon Prime:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-28%2Bat%2B10.02.

COLORADO SERENADE

DRIFTIN' RIVER

THE TUMBLEWEED TRAIL

BLACK HILLS

THE TIOGA KID

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

More B westerns with Roy Rogers available on Amazon Prime:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-26%2Bat%2B1.05.3

UNDER WESTERN STARS

SOUTHWARD HO!

ROUGH RIDERS' ROUND-UP

COME ON RANGERS

IN OLD CALIENTE

FRONTIER PONY EXPRESS

WALL STREET COWBOY

IDAHO

UNDER CALIFORNIA STARS

THE ARIZONA KID

DAYS OF JESSE JAMES

JESSE JAMES AT BAY

YOUNG BUFFALO BILL

KING OF THE COWBOYS

NEVADA CITY

NIGHT TIME IN NEVADA

SPOILERS OF THE PLAINS

HANDS ACROSS THE BORDER

SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS

THE GAY RANCHERO

SUNSET ON THE DESERT

THE RANGER AND THE LADY

ROBIN HOOD OF THE PECOS

ROMANCE ON THE RANGE

COLORADO

GRAND CANYON TRAIL

RIDIN' DOWN THE CANYON

EYES OF TEXAS

IN OLD CHEYENNE

THE BORDER LEGION

SILVER SPURS

RED RIVER VALLEY

SONS OF THE PIONEERS

THE FAR FRONTIER

HEART OF THE GOLDEN WEST

TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD

SONG OF TEXAS

SOUTH OF SANTA FE

MAN FROM CHEYENNE

SAGA OF DEATH VALLEY

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:35 AM

Some fun B westerns with Dale Evans & Roy Rogers are available on Amazon Prime:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-25%2Bat%2B6.32.5

BELLS OF ROSARITA

SONG OF NEVADA

SUNSET IN EL DORADO

SONG OF ARIZONA

APACHE ROSE

OUT CALIFORNIA WAY

HOME IN OKLAHOMA

RAINBOW OVER TEXAS

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY

THE GOLDEN STALLION

DOWN DAKOTA WAY

HELDORADO

THE COWBOY AND THE SENORITA

TWILIGHT IN THE SIERRAS

THE YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS

ROLL ON TEXAS MOON

UNDER NEVADA SKIES

LIGHTS OF OLD SANTA FE

MY PAL TRIGGER

THE BELLS OF SAN ANGELO

THE MAN FROM OKLAHOMA

UTAH

ALONG THE NAVAJO TRAIL

BELLS OF CORONADO

DON'T FENCE ME IN

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

Roy Rogers is next on my list-- but since there are so many of his B westerns on Amazon Prime (and that's a good thing), I will go over his titles in two parts (two separate posts)-- probably the ones with Dale Evans, and the ones without Dale.

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

Some of Ken Maynard's B westerns are available on Amazon Prime:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-22%2Bat%2B8.34.5

IN OLD SANTA FE

DEATH VALLEY RANGERS

THE LAW RIDES AGAIN

TRAILING TROUBLE

PHANTOM THUNDERBOLT

COME ON, TARZAN

ARIZONA WHIRLWIND

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

Many of John Wayne's B westerns are available on Amazon Prime:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-20%2Bat%2B2.13.0

WESTWARD HO

WYOMING OUTLAW

LAWLESS RANGE

PARADISE CANYON

BLUE STEEL

HELLTOWN

MAN FROM UTAH

WINDS OF THE WASTELAND

WEST OF THE DIVIDE

LUCKY TEXAN

STAR PACKER

THE DAWN RIDER

LAWLESS FRONTIER

SAGEBRUSH TRAIL

THE TRAIL BEYOND

RAINBOW VALLEY

TEXAS TERROR

DESERT TRAIL

RANDY RIDES ALONE

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-20%2Bat%2B1.40.3

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-18%2Bat%2B6.56.5

Two of Lash LaRue's B westerns are available on Amazon Prime:

STAGE TO MESA CITY

GUNS DON'T ARGUE

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:34 PM

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-1-00-24-pm.png

The Weavers were a popular hillbilly act signed by Republic in the late 1930s. Between 1938 and 1943, they made eleven B films at the studio that were a hit with rural audiences. In one of them, a young Roy Rogers plays a supporting character. Available on Amazon Prime:

GRAND OLE OPRY

ARKANSAS JUDGE

After posting this comment yesterday, I sat down and watched both of these...they're short, like 65 minutes each. The one with Roy Rogers (ARKANSAS JUDGE) features Spring Byington in a rare turn at Republic, but the story does not seem to make much sense in my opinion-- though the music-playing scenes are good. The other title, GRAND OLE OPRY, is most enjoyable-- there's a silly but fun story about corrupt politicians, and the musical numbers are spectacular. Opry star Roy Acuff makes an appearance in one of the scenes, crooning his trademark hit 'Wabash Cannonball.' 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users