We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Let's Face The Music And Dance - Dance In Movies

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

Oh,  I jazz it up.     Here is Mundell Lowe doing the song and I spent many hours trying to copy his riffs.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=V4ydktj2XiE

That's terrific- Thanks for the link!

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,814 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

I know this is getting off topic, but how do you play Cheek To Cheek ? Do you jazz it up, or play it straight up like it is in the film, or some other way?

* I'm not nosey- just interested :D

Oh,  I jazz it up.     Here is Mundell Lowe doing the song and I spent many hours trying to copy his riffs.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=V4ydktj2XiE

#3 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

Being a major fan of Kern (second only to Porter as it relates to songwriters during the golden era),   I agree that Swing Time has better songs than Top Hat,   but that being said Check to Check is my favorite of all the dance numbers done by Astaire and Rogers.   Also Check to Check has three very unique parts (sections),  so it is a gas to play!

I know this is getting off topic, but how do you play Cheek To Cheek ? Do you jazz it up, or play it straight up like it is in the film, or some other way?

* I'm not nosey- just interested :D

#4 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

Being a major fan of Kern (second only to Porter as it relates to songwriters during the golden era),   I agree that Swing Time has better songs than Top Hat,   but that being said Check to Check is my favorite of all the dance numbers done by Astaire and Rogers.   Also Check to Check has three very unique parts (sections),  so it is a gas to play!

;)

You'd have been out of luck if they used CASH or MONEY ORDERS!  :D

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#5 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

Top Hat was my introduction to the Astaire/Rogers catalog, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I think I like the songs better in Swing Time, though. 

Pretty sure my first introduction was Shall We Dance (otchitchornya!) but when you go through the whole set, it's hard to tell which Fred & Ginger titles you've seen and which ones you haven't...Any quick plot guide?

I keep looking at the library titles and thinking "Okay, 'Roberta', I've seen that one, but 'Gay Divorcee'?  'Swing Time', that was...no, wait, that was 'Shall We Dance'..."

• sagebrush likes this
Let's start a revolution: http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#6 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,814 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

Top Hat was my introduction to the Astaire/Rogers catalog, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I think I like the songs better in Swing Time, though. And, that routine to Never Gonna Dance- wow! Even the Bojangles number, although unfortunately done in blackface, is a wonderful dance number. I also like that in the plot, Rogers' character relatively early warms up to Astaire's, which gives them a duet pretty early in the film (Pick Yourself Up.)

I think my 2nd favorite of their films would be Roberta- again, because of the songs.

#7 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

Do I like TOP HAT better than SWING TIME?   No.  In fact, gun to head to choose, I'd have to say, "pull the trigger".  ;)

Sepiatone

Top Hat was my introduction to the Astaire/Rogers catalog, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I think I like the songs better in Swing Time, though. And, that routine to Never Gonna Dance- wow! Even the Bojangles number, although unfortunately done in blackface, is a wonderful dance number. I also like that in the plot, Rogers' character relatively early warms up to Astaire's, which gives them a duet pretty early in the film (Pick Yourself Up.)

I think my 2nd favorite of their films would be Roberta- again, because of the songs.

#8 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

The only thing I can say about anything here is that I don't really like "dance movies".

At least not NOWADAYS, anyway.

I had to address this recently when watching TOP HAT (again!)   and my wife challenged me with it.  "You say you can't stand dance movies, yet you're watching THIS?"  she asked.

So I had to explain that it was all in presentation.  In modern day dance movies, the main characters are almost ALWAYS from gang-banger type environments, wear ballcaps turned backwards and have a lot of attitude.  With "moves" that look more like calisthenics than actual dance, and to "music" that's mostly high decibel monotonous BEAT than any actual music.  The "golden era" dance movies had classy characters, snappy "patter", actual music and artful dance "moves".  And while the main characters might have had a lot of CONCEIT in some cases, it was WITHOUT (usually) a lot of belligerence.

Do I like TOP HAT better than SWING TIME?   No.  In fact, gun to head to choose, I'd have to say, "pull the trigger".  ;)

Sepiatone

#9 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:13 AM

While I enjoy Top Hat, I think Swing Time is my favorite.

Swing Time is my favorite, too! So many good songs and dance numbers, and I love Helen Broderick and Victor Moore. I wish they would have included Erik Rhodes somewhere, though!

#10 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:44 PM

I think this is one of the few Astaire/Rogers films where Rogers actually gets a singing solo.  Apparently Astaire hated the "Piccolino" song, so he let Rogers sing it.  He joins in for the dancing part.

I love the "Piccolino" song; it's so joyous.

#11 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

For some reason, I so rarely see the ending of Top Hat when ever it aires. Watching it last night on Ginger Rogers day of SUTS, I had forgotten the fact that the 2.5 minute dance scene she and Astaire do to The Piccolino was done in one complete shot. Amazing, especially considering the territory they cover  ( first down the stairs, then to the floor and back up at the end.) I know Fred liked his dances filmed with the least amount of cuts as possible, and hated the entire dancer's body not being in the viewer's frame- I think the cameraman did this one flawlessly.

I think this is one of the few Astaire/Rogers films where Rogers actually gets a singing solo.  Apparently Astaire hated the "Piccolino" song, so he let Rogers sing it.  He joins in for the dancing part.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#12 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

For some reason, I so rarely see the ending of Top Hat when ever it aires. Watching it last night on Ginger Rogers day of SUTS, I had forgotten the fact that the 2.5 minute dance scene she and Astaire do to The Piccolino was done in one complete shot. Amazing, especially considering the territory they cover  ( first down the stairs, then to the floor and back up at the end.) I know Fred liked his dances filmed with the least amount of cuts as possible, and hated the entire dancer's body not being in the viewer's frame- I think the cameraman did this one flawlessly.

#13 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

I was trying to figure out somewhere appropriate to post this, as it didn't seem worthy of a brand new thread? 

It's a little late notice, but:

But the first and second Mitzi Gaynor TV Specials will be airing tonight/tomorrow morning on Get TV! 

The first TV Special is on at 12:00am (PST) 8/7 and the second will follow at 1:00am (PST). 

I really wish that all the Mitzi TV Specials would be released on one boxed set.  I saw the "Mitzi's Salute to the American Housewife" special that aired on TCM a couple years ago and loved it.  Since then, I've watched the Mitzi Gaynor: Razzle Dazzle! The Special Years documentary that discussed all of Mitzi's specials.  It was fun.  

• sagebrush likes this

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#14 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

While I don't know why there's that sudden cut, I agree with you.  It's rather jarring when the entire number is completely seamless prior to that.  It's one of the minor imperfections to an otherwise flawless film.

My other minor complaint is: Why does Debbie Reynolds have three different singing voices in this film? She has her own, Jean Hagen's and then an obvious dub. 

I had wondered about that, as well!. I found this article from a 2012 Huffington Post page, in celebration of the film's 60th anniversary. It has some interesting and fun facts about the film.

This was # 16-  " Irony alert: Filming the sequence where Kathy dubs Lena’s singing and speaking voices in “The Dancing Cavalier,” it was decided that Reynolds’ voice wasn’t working, so Jean Hagen’s own speaking voice was used to dub Reynolds. Plus, Betty Noyes dubbed Reynolds’ singing voice for the' Would You' number in that scene."......... Interesting, yes?

Here's the rest of the article, if you are interested:   http://www.huffingto..._n_1390079.html

#15 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

Forgive me if I've overlooked the answer to this question, but does anyone know just what the reason is for the poor editing during the gangster's moll dance scene between Kelly and Charisse in Singing In The Rain? You all know the one I'm talking about- where Cyd extends her leg into an arabesque and then there is an abrupt cut and then she does a backbend with her leg extended in Kelly's hand.  

While I don't know why there's that sudden cut, I agree with you.  It's rather jarring when the entire number is completely seamless prior to that.  It's one of the minor imperfections to an otherwise flawless film.

My other minor complaint is: Why does Debbie Reynolds have three different singing voices in this film? She has her own, Jean Hagen's and then an obvious dub. 

• sagebrush likes this

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#16 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

Forgive me if I've overlooked the answer to this question, but does anyone know just what the reason is for the poor editing during the gangster's moll dance scene between Kelly and Charisse in Singing In The Rain? You all know the one I'm talking about- where Cyd extends her leg into an arabesque and then there is an abrupt cut and then she does a backbend with her leg extended in Kelly's hand.  

#17 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,271 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

Giant Girls Dance!

:D 

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#18 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

Well, when it comes to brothers, I'll take the NICHOLAS BROTHERS.  ANY time!

Them cats was SUPERHUMAN!  B)

Sepiatone

• GGGGerald likes this

#19 Ray Faiola

Ray Faiola

Film Score Restoration

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • LocationEllenville, NY

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

Well, I have to add The Ritz Brothers' opening number in ON THE AVENUE - "He Ain't Got Rhythm". It's the same old set of steps but the number is such a knockout I don't care.

I'm also a sucker for anything with Universal's Jivin' Jacks and Jills, especially Roland Dupree (he was the kid who taught Jean Arthur the Big Apple in YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU).

#20 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:07 AM

I'm glad to see downthread that NickandNora34 mentioned Fred Astaires's piano dance from Let's Dance. That number never has gotten it's proper recognition (especially with Fred's lively jazzy- style piano playing!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users