We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM 2015 cruise

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 movieman1989

movieman1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

I loved Vaudeville 101!

That was a good one.

#2 EvyG

EvyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

I went on the TCM Cruise. Here's some highlights.
The Stars--Eva Marie Saint, Lou Gossett Jr., Angie Dickinson, Roger Corman, Ruta Lee
I went to A Conversation with Lou Gossett on Monday and A Conversation with Roger Corman on Thursday. I saw Ruta's interview on the tv in my room and caught part of Angie's. I really wish I'd seen Angie's because she dished a lot from what I heard.

Additional guests--Illeana Douglas was promoting her new book so she had an interview with Ben based on I Blame Dennis Hopper. Her talk was hilarious and she spoke about her life and a little about spending time with Melvyn.
Cari Beauchamp--She did a presentation based on her book My First Time in Hollywood. Some of the other people I'll mention did readings from various people who worked in Hollywood like Ben Hecht and Anita Loos.
Randy Haberkamp--He's from AMPAS. He did a presentation about a young woman named Aloha Wonderwell Baker who traveled with a group who went around the world filming their experiences. He showed some of the film the Academy had preserved.
Bruce Goldstein--He's from the NY Film Forum. He did a presentation called Vaudeville 101. It included several early sound clips of people who were famous in vaudeville as well as movie careers.
Eddie Muller was there and introduced films.
Kate MacMurray--Fred MacMurray and June Haver daughter. She did a talk mainly about her dad although she did talk about her mom a little.
Sean Cameron--He is the producer of the wraparounds for Robert & Ben. He presented the rough cut of the interview with Sophia Loren at the Film Festival last spring. It was my favorite thing that I saw on the ship.

Alex Trebek was there and did trivia contests. I didn't participate this time.

Of course, Robert & Ben were there. I went to Q&A with both. I saw quite a bit of Ben and his wife & daughter. I also attended the Ask TCM presentation.

I saw a few films too. TCM was showing films in a few venues as well had a dedicated channel on the in room tv. Disney also showed their films on a couple of channels on the in room tv.

There were three parties.

The food was good and for the most part everyone was nice. I saw a few people I'd met on previous cruises, so that's always nice.

It was very hot & humid. I didn't get off at the ports of Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay. I'd been there before plus the heat was oppressive.

They announced the date & ship for the next cruise. It's going to be Nov 12-19, 2016 on the Disney Fantasy. It's a week long and the ship holds 1500 more passengers. I know the cruise will be docking in San Juan & St. Maarten. I missed the other port of call. They must have had a long waiting list to justify a larger ship.

I loved Vaudeville 101!

#3 EvyG

EvyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

i just wanted to add that based on last year's cruise, they are sold out within a few weeks.  I have preference for booking since I have been on two cruises but don't at present have a cruisemate.  A single for the least expensive room is $3,610...so there! 

#4 djsmith773

djsmith773

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

I am considering the cruise for 2016. I have been on several Disney cruises, but never a TCM cruise. I was wondering if things will be somewhat the same. Do they still have dining rotations and the printed daily navigators? Are there TCM movies playing in the theatre most of the day? Are the bars/nightclubs still open?

Since it is probably mostly an adults only cruise, I'd like to hear what goes on. The normal Disney cruises can be quite loud, but I am assuming this won't be the case as there won't be piped in Disney music everywhere and characters roaming around. 

HELLO.

Yes, things do run somewhat the same.  There are still dining rotations and the daily navigator.  Of course, the entire theme of the cruise is classic movies so most all of the activities center around that.  There are movies playing in multiple locations - in the theaters, by the pool, etc. - all day long and well into the night.  The bars and nightclubs are still open but usually have special talent provided as part of the theme.  For example, the Hot Sardines usually play.  Overall, it's very good talent!  Yes, I would say that this cruise is 95%+ adults - only a very small handful of children.  No piped in Disney music but the Disney characters do make a few special appearances on occasion.  I have been on several Disney cruises and all of the TCM cruises.  If you like movies ... and want to experience an "adults only" Disney cruise, this IS a fantastic opportunity.  You'll have Castaway Cay all to yourself!  As an adult, this is most definitely the way to have a Disney experience (minus the kids)!

• cruisehopeful likes this

#5 cruisehopeful

cruisehopeful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

I am considering the cruise for 2016. I have been on several Disney cruises, but never a TCM cruise. I was wondering if things will be somewhat the same. Do they still have dining rotations and the printed daily navigators? Are there TCM movies playing in the theatre most of the day? Are the bars/nightclubs still open?

Since it is probably mostly an adults only cruise, I'd like to hear what goes on. The normal Disney cruises can be quite loud, but I am assuming this won't be the case as there won't be piped in Disney music everywhere and characters roaming around. 

#6 68nittany

68nittany

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:02 PM

We were on the cruise also. Had a great time, won at trivia. So glad they had a buffet at night. Can't wait until the next cruise. Looking forward to San Juan. Tired of Castaway Cay but enjoy the bbq.

#7 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

I went on the TCM Cruise. Here's some highlights.
The Stars--Eva Marie Saint, Lou Gossett Jr., Angie Dickinson, Roger Corman, Ruta Lee
I went to A Conversation with Lou Gossett on Monday and A Conversation with Roger Corman on Thursday. I saw Ruta's interview on the tv in my room and caught part of Angie's. I really wish I'd seen Angie's because she dished a lot from what I heard.

Additional guests--Illeana Douglas was promoting her new book so she had an interview with Ben based on I Blame Dennis Hopper. Her talk was hilarious and she spoke about her life and a little about spending time with Melvyn.
Cari Beauchamp--She did a presentation based on her book My First Time in Hollywood. Some of the other people I'll mention did readings from various people who worked in Hollywood like Ben Hecht and Anita Loos.
Randy Haberkamp--He's from AMPAS. He did a presentation about a young woman named Aloha Wonderwell Baker who traveled with a group who went around the world filming their experiences. He showed some of the film the Academy had preserved.
Bruce Goldstein--He's from the NY Film Forum. He did a presentation called Vaudeville 101. It included several early sound clips of people who were famous in vaudeville as well as movie careers.
Eddie Muller was there and introduced films.
Kate MacMurray--Fred MacMurray and June Haver daughter. She did a talk mainly about her dad although she did talk about her mom a little.
Sean Cameron--He is the producer of the wraparounds for Robert & Ben. He presented the rough cut of the interview with Sophia Loren at the Film Festival last spring. It was my favorite thing that I saw on the ship.

Alex Trebek was there and did trivia contests. I didn't participate this time.

Of course, Robert & Ben were there. I went to Q&A with both. I saw quite a bit of Ben and his wife & daughter. I also attended the Ask TCM presentation.

I saw a few films too. TCM was showing films in a few venues as well had a dedicated channel on the in room tv. Disney also showed their films on a couple of channels on the in room tv.

There were three parties.

The food was good and for the most part everyone was nice. I saw a few people I'd met on previous cruises, so that's always nice.

It was very hot & humid. I didn't get off at the ports of Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay. I'd been there before plus the heat was oppressive.

They announced the date & ship for the next cruise. It's going to be Nov 12-19, 2016 on the Disney Fantasy. It's a week long and the ship holds 1500 more passengers. I know the cruise will be docking in San Juan & St. Maarten. I missed the other port of call. They must have had a long waiting list to justify a larger ship.
  • lavenderblue19, speedracer5, movieman1989 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users